IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Huh?

Sorry, was making a poor joke. You had asked to be educated on SDIF-3, and I offered, then you pushed back on my explanation. I said the Brooklyn shows that the SPDIF RCA inputs are also labeled for SDIF-3 (i.e DSD Left and DSD Right, which are nomenclatures for the single channel SDIF-3 inputs, NOT for DoP..which is stereo SPDIF...or AES/EBU or USB, for that matter..no one labels for DoP) so either they give you a BNC adapter and a toggle mechanism (to toggle between dual SPDIFs and SDIF-3), or they simply silkscreened the back panel to be ready for either (doubt it, since they don't mention different versions of the Brooklyn like they mentioned when offering the Stereo-192 DSD dac).

Re: DSD256 & PCM 24b, 384 kHz on Mac OSX.

I run DSD128 DoP and PCM 24/384 straight out over USB 3.0 on my MBP Retina.

The issue is not data rate capability but, instead, the OSX 'App Nap' battery drain app spanker. The OS puts the Broadcom 20702 USB hub to sleep and the core-audio-bypassing app (Audirvana Plus) has to wake it up. When the number of wakeup events exceed the limit, spin dumps can occur like:

"process Audirvana Plus[2934] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 178; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 45001"

The AP+ app aserts "App Nap disabled' by default, but I find it helps to send:

"sudo defaults write com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES"

All of this is convolved with the "com.Chord.driver.Cypress384 (1.0.55)" USB driver disaster (M2Tech Nova Blowout) which should not be an issue with driverless versions of Chord's newer DACs and/or with OSX 10.10 & 10.11 OS releases. Have to wait to see.

Could also be Apple moving around the KEXT Exceptions Contents directory location....

Main point? Battery life optimization aggressive removes user/signer control over real time I/O.

This may be where the Sound Quality battle is fought. It is not BW, it is power!

After a lot of research (soul searching) I settled on the Brooklyn DAC as my next weapon of choice in the audiophile war. I got on the pre-order for two units today. I have never owned / nor listened to the Mytek Stereo 192 but it has always appealed to me, primarily because of its overall performance for its particular form factor (side by side DACs in 1u rack space). Hoping the Brooklyn DAC will be an extension of that (with some of the translated Manhatten tech) and I will start tapping something pretty close to that sweet spot of what I personally have been looking for out of my DACs and overall setup. Two of these should yield some nice tests in various configurations - will also be testing some unique configs of the Brooklyn in combo with the Mutec MC-3+ USB.

-prog

An interesting Interview in ..polish..( thank god for google translate, a mandatory asset in this case)

https://www.infoaudio.pl/artykul/278,michal-jurewicz-prosto-z-manhattanu-na-brooklyn-wywiad

See here the acoppanying video, mostly useful to polish speakers but visually interesting with nice closeups of the Brooklyn.

THat little thing is getting more and more interesting!.. I can't wait for the next two weekw when according to the retailer i will finally have it !!!

Finally another highly polosih article here https://www.infoaudio.pl/artykul/279,mytek-digital-tworzymy-brooklyn-w-warszawie-wywiad (google chrome is recommended as well)

I don't think that anyone in their right mind expects the 2000$ product of a company to be better than the 5000$ model of the same company. What I read is that the Brooklyn will secretly compete with 10$ devices

(words of Mr. Jurewicz) and to be honest I think that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The most important thing is that someone must like those products extreme clarity and faithfullness to the original recording.

After owning the 192 dac for three years i ended up addicted to that sound. Others didn't like it but you can't keep everybody happy that's life and the hobby's reality.

What I was hoping for was the sound of the 192 improved in the treble where the older dac had a slight but listenable harshness mostly audible with bad recordings. Having personally contacted the blogger whose report was posted by me in this thread a few posts ago I was made to understand that as a fan of the 192 there is absolutely no way I would't dig the Brooklyn As to his ears it is a big step up from the 192 in every way and to think that he was not a fan of the 192.

I was prepared to settle just for an improved dac in practical terms (with no apparent sound improvement) as the biggest drawback of the 192 is that it had begun to show it's technological limits like lack of OTG support, latency issues with extremely high bitrates of which some are not supported, idiosyncratic usb receiver for OSX which would crash the computer from time to time or give me a hard time to set it, lack of driverless USB 2.0 Implementation and etc.

It appears that the new dac is not just a modernized or more practical (meaning driverless) version of the old one. It is also a better dac and for the price considering I was very happy with the 192's performance I am more than happy and totally impatient!...

I don't think that anyone in their right mind expects the 2000$ product of a company to be better than the 5000$ model of the same company.

That is point, but big plus is the ability to work with extenal power suppy,

this could enhance the quality of sonic, minus - no firewall interface

That is point, but big plus is the ability to work with extenal power suppy,

this could enhance the quality of sonic, minus - no firewall interface

Another very exciting thing that caught my attwntion reading the translated interview and article is the mention in an upcoming portable product more affordable for the young people that will probably be announced in CES in January.

Man 2016 is going to be hot..

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody heard this Dac yet in their own system

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

This looks like an extremely useful DAC/pre, great for professional and home use and love the included *optional* DC power! Mytek always has great value.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

This dac will start shipping around christmass as It was available only as pre-order untill December 1st. I will try to post my impressions as soon as I can. The date I have for delivery is December 23.

Looks like can't hear it before Xmas...

Mr.Totsipaki how do you know your dispatch date? I also hv preorder one, but hear nothing from Mytek after my several emails.

I am sorry to hear that.

I have been given this date from my local retailer who explained that It was very difficult to secure some units for the customers who have preordered from Late October - Start Of November. The next batch will be on Late January they said.

I guess the demand for this unit tests the production ability of Mytek.

You should start a support ticket, they always answer over there and very promptly most of the times.

I am sorry to hear that.

I have been given this date from my local retailer who explained that It was very difficult to secure some units for the customers who have preordered from Late October - Start Of November. The next batch will be on Late January they said.

I guess the demand for this unit tests the production ability of Mytek.

You should start a support ticket, they always answer over there and very promptly most of the times.

Hi,

I've seen that you're a Mytek Fan like me :)

I've Mytek 192 DSD since 2013.

Do you know if they buy back it when you buy a Brooklyn ?

On the link below (middle of the page) you can read some listening feedback of the Brooklyn Dac. I contacted the author. He was told that two 9018K2M dac chips are implemented, sweet!..

Click the link below

New York Audio Show 2015 Recap | Metal-Fi Rant

The autor is quite funny HD650 is one of the warmest headphone out there so I guess hardly to know if there would be some treble shrillness.

The Brooklyn DAC is very nice but almost nobody hear it and dac will listen and not look at him. 192 DSD did not have the most popular feedback. So I will wait a little on experiences. But the Brooklyn looks very very promising to me. My budget is 2500 euro and the most probably will order it because nothing in this price range got my interest as this only one dac which is sold out and hardly seen from second hand.

The autor is quite funny HD650 is one of the warmest headphone out there so I guess hardly to know if there would be some treble shrillness.

The Brooklyn DAC is very nice but almost nobody hear it and dac will listen and not look at him. 192 DSD did not have the most popular feedback. So I will wait a little on experiences. But the Brooklyn looks very very promising to me. My budget is 2500 euro and the most probably will order it because nothing in this price range got my interest as this only one dac which is sold out and hardly seen from second hand.

Not sure where you looked, but the 192 DSD came in for almost universal praise in reviews and in forum feedbacks. I saw one very negative review on one forum. Other than that, I think all the professional reviews ranged from positive to extremely positive, and the vast majority of user feedback was also positive.

Obviously, there will always be some people who won't like a product.

From what I've been told by dealers, the Brooklyn is a definite step up from the 192 DSD, both in DAC and in preamp quality.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Not sure where you looked, but the 192 DSD came in for almost universal praise in reviews and in forum feedbacks. I saw one very negative review on one forum. Other than that, I think all the professional reviews ranged from positive to extremely positive, and the vast majority of user feedback was also positive.

And now that the Stereo-192 DSD is going for $1,095, it's hard to beat at that price.

• 3 weeks later...