IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

44 minutes ago, ideasbox said:

OK, now I understood!

So, it is no better sound using balanced output of headphones? I mean, better dynamic, soundstage, control?

No problem. I have no idea how it sounds unfortunately.

I need to trial one and see if the gain is an issue or not, with my balanced XLR headphone cables. The balanced outputs are higher than the unbalanced.

I plan to remove the jumpers now that I use the Brooklyn strictly as a preamplifier. I didn't notice any difference in SQ when installing them apart from, of course, with music that was clearly distorted without the jumpers when I had it connected to another preamp through the balanced output.

I use the analog volume control, so there shouldn't be any issues with removing the jumpers, and better to keep things in the signal path as straight as possible I guess. I guess the jumpers should be a good thing though when using the digital volume control since that, at least in digital theory, should sound better the less you need to lower the signal through the volume control. Don't like the digital control anyway. The analog control sounds better, at least in my system.

My @Vinnie Rossi MINI is on the way back after having the voltage changed to 12Vdc to power the Brooklyn and sMS-200.  Looking forward to it!  

http://www.vinnierossi.com/mini/

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

new update....?

Firmware revision history:

v2.32  / 2017-04-27

- fixed: DC offset on Linux
	- fixed: Meters in DSD mode

v2.31  / 2017-04-20
	- reversion to old MQA indication (added magenta logo for MQA Core)

v2.30  / 2017-04-12

- fixed: Nec receiver fixed.
	- improved: larger fonts on simple screen added
	- improved: new MQA decoder with new communication scheme
	- fixed: improved USB frequency switching

Well, I think that requires a lot of writing. F.I. "new MQA decoder with new communication scheme". With my aging Olive I have trouble to play MQA-music, so maybe this new feature will resolve this issue for me?

I'll just try, and check.

Even with extensive explanation one cannot be sure all is covered. It might even be so that some new bug is introduced. I guess it was, actually: "reversion to old MQA indication" in 2.31

Alas, no Linux installer yet. I'll wil just have to show a big smile to someone with a Windows laptop. :)

Marc

What are you guys thoughts on the SR and FR filters versus the MPH filter for MQA?  Is there any possibility that the Brooklyn could automatically switch to the MPH filter when it detects MQA and revert back to SR or FR when it doesn't?

I'm using Roon + HQP with a MicroRendu and am playing around with different settings.  I haven't tried the new MQA-filters in HQP yet.

4 hours ago, mrvco said:

What are you guys thoughts on the SR and FR filters versus the MPH filter for MQA?  Is there any possibility that the Brooklyn could automatically switch to the MPH filter when it detects MQA and revert back to SR or FR when it doesn't?

I'm using Roon + HQP with a MicroRendu and am playing around with different settings.  I haven't tried the new MQA-filters in HQP yet.

The MQA filters in HQP just strip out the embedded metadata (the 'folded' stuff) from the file so wierd things don't happen when HQP does it's thing.

9 hours ago, smartin said:

The MQA filters in HQP just strip out the embedded metadata (the 'folded' stuff) from the file so wierd things don't happen when HQP does it's thing.

Ah, I was thinking they were meant to allow HQP to do its thing some how and allow the MQA data to pass through to the DAC intact.  So far MQA seems to be more of a hassle than it's worth.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

has anybody put this DAC one on one with a Yggy?

I've heard the Yggy next the AURALiC Vega and it wasn't close IMO.  Objectively it makes sense too.  I know own the Brooklyn...

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

35 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I've heard the Yggy next the AURALiC Vega and it wasn't close IMO.  Objectively it makes sense too.  I know own the Brooklyn...

Ignoring price, you prefer the Brooklyn to both the Yggy and Vega?  High praise indeed!

52 minutes ago, mrvco said:

I'm looking forward to your impressions of the Brooklyn powered by the VR Mini :)

@mrvco, I haven't been able to shut if off since plugging in the @Vinnie Rossi MINI to the Brooklyn.  I'm impressed.  Still need to try the sMS-200 on it too.  

What is the actual DC input power requirement for the Brooklyn?  The specs say 12V / 4-6 Amps, but I've also seen where 12V and ~2.0 Amps is sufficient.

I'd like to try an inexpensive LPS such as the TALEMA (12V, 2.0A), but obviously don't want to order something that isn't compatible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25VA-TALEMA-Low-Noise-LPS-DC-12V-Linear-Power-Supply-psu-option-5V-9V-15V-18V-/262844375057

I requested a quote from Qualiaphysic as well.

9 minutes ago, mrvco said:

The actual is I recall just over 2A. For an external PSU Mytek had suggested something considerably more powerful than the internal smps. 

I ordered a 6A supply from eBay with an R-core transformer and having it measured currently (looks a bit noisy). 

The Longdog mcru PSUs have very good specs from what I see. The Chinese stuff is well made but not so good on noise it seems and the cheaper ones even worse.