IGNORED

Sound Galleries Music Server

So name an ADC (chip or box) that uses sample time randomisation. I'm tired of your throwing around grand but vague assertions without a shred of evidence. I guess you enjoy maintaining an air of mystique and the demigod treatment you receive from your disciples, but it doesn't work on me.

Would these be assertions of the form "This is never done in video/audio due to impossibility/impracticality," or were you thinking exclusively of what other people write?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Would these be assertions of the form "This is never done in video/audio due to impossibility/impracticality," or were you thinking exclusively of what other people write?

I'm not the one claiming to possess godlike powers. If someone found a flaw in the Shannon-Nyquist theorems, it would be big news. Absent any such news, I will keep believing them.

Claude Shannon has risen from the dead, a sure sign that this topic has been beaten to death.

Maybe someone has something to say about the Sound Galleries Music server? It did just win a prestigious award and this is the SGM thread after all!

Once again, congratulations to Ed, Emile and Geoffrey!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Claude Shannon has risen from the dead, a sure sign that this topic has been beaten to death.

Maybe someone has something to say about the Sound Galleries Music server? It did just win a prestigious award and this is the SGM thread after all!

Once again, congratulations to Ed, Emile and Geoffrey!

I apologise for my part in derailing this thread. I'll shut up now.

I'm not the one claiming to possess godlike powers. If someone found a flaw in the Shannon-Nyquist theorems, it would be big news. Absent any such news, I will keep believing them.

I've seen no one claiming to possess such powers, nor any demigod treatment.

I do see someone who appears to be irritated at being informed that techniques may exist for partially ameliorating the effects of aliasing errors, which do not of course violate any proven mathematical theorems. Irritation is to me a quite puzzling reaction to learning of new possibilities.

Edit: My apologies for the additional OT comment.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 4 weeks later...
Number 2 ?

me thinks you didn't read Michael's review. :) Number 2 is one of 3 responses to the SGM (the others being $16k are you high? or I want to hear the SGM in my house!)

As far as #2 (getting most of the performance for less money):

I think having something like a fanless server (or remote NAS), mR, good power supplies, well setup network probably gets you most of the way there, for a lot less.

Possibly using one of the Windows optimizing programs gets you a little closer.

Lets face it, few of us can afford $16k for a server. It's sort of like telling us a $70K DCS stack is going to sound better than our $2-$10K DAC. Interesting, but...

I'm happy reading about the SGM, and am glad the product is successful. Not something I'm going to have serious audiophile lust for - it's a bridge too far, as it were.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Lets face it, few of us can afford $16k for a server. It's sort of like telling us a $70K DCS stack is going to sound better than our $2-$10K DAC.

Assuming you prefer the sound of a $70k dCS stack - or the $125k DAC from MSB - over your DAC.

And the alternative might be a bit lighter than the 85 pound SGM.... :)

I'm very conflicted over this server absent any concerns over cost and maintenance duty. On one hand parts of it are works of art. By which I mainly mean the quiet distinction. Custom BIOS and programming in hand with the physical design work present too many understated hallmarks of artistry they may never surpass. Then you start looking a little harder, past what is hardly there to catch upon, and you see a consumer class motherboard holding a semi-capable processor. Items small and large that let down the perfectionist meets savant engineering aesthetic qualities so inherent elsewhere, grow in number. Still without breasting intrigue over cost is no object (right?)I'm destitute over how the same mind could have stopped without building a custom board and memory? Approaching this from the side of custom computers, and I have talked to a number of highly skilled people in this field about it, heads just shake as they repeat the process I mentioned. Just a move up to an i7-6900 would have quelled a large chunk of unease.

Then you come to the dollar amount in whatever currency is relevant to your process of determination. Apple I collectors are a small lot and even less people will ever appreciate the non-visible design work above impeccable solder penetration. It really has that type of detail and all the chance of seeing widespread, fiscal or otherwise, appreciation this decade as a Unity Systems Home Manager did in the mid-80's. Except pieces of it are middling off the shelf parts. Tell me the audiophile approaching this a potential purchase is going to count every penny over 16K. Finish the job, bump it up closer to 20K and put .1 watts more into your smile. :)

Highly note the fact this machine did more to convince me to try my own hand than to lay down cash for it. Stunning stuff from every angle but readily apparent top view.

I'm very conflicted over this server absent any concerns over cost and maintenance duty. On one hand parts of it are works of art. By which I mainly mean the quiet distinction. Custom BIOS and programming in hand with the physical design work present too many understated hallmarks of artistry they may never surpass. Then you start looking a little harder, past what is hardly there to catch upon, and you see a consumer class motherboard holding a semi-capable processor. Items small and large that let down the perfectionist meets savant engineering aesthetic qualities so inherent elsewhere, grow in number. Still without breasting intrigue over cost is no object (right?)I'm destitute over how the same mind could have stopped without building a custom board and memory? Approaching this from the side of custom computers, and I have talked to a number of highly skilled people in this field about it, heads just shake as they repeat the process I mentioned. Just a move up to an i7-6900 would have quelled a large chunk of unease.

Then you come to the dollar amount in whatever currency is relevant to your process of determination. Apple I collectors are a small lot and even less people will ever appreciate the non-visible design work above impeccable solder penetration. It really has that type of detail and all the chance of seeing widespread, fiscal or otherwise, appreciation this decade as a Unity Systems Home Manager did in the mid-80's. Except pieces of it are middling off the shelf parts. Tell me the audiophile approaching this a potential purchase is going to count every penny over 16K. Finish the job, bump it up closer to 20K and put .1 watts more into your smile. :)

Highly note the fact this machine did more to convince me to try my own hand than to lay down cash for it. Stunning stuff from every angle but readily apparent top view.

If you like, we could build you a SGM with a i7 7700K. Would it sound noticeably better ? We don't think so

Skylake package has it's weak points for sure, but Skylake 6700 K is much better sounding than 5th and 4th generation comparable processors. We tested a lot of motherboards before we settled on the one we use.

Power supplies are key, the ones in the SGM are custom designed and manufactured

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I truly appreciate the reply to something that amounts more to a question mark than actual experience with your server. A source of interest that numerous others I've shown the interview on Positive Feedback shared. My hope is you understand the frustration with a frankly brilliant architecture leaving a few boxes unchecked. Nearly unanimously the consensus was server parts for a server. With no misunderstanding the back end support you offer and current for the time i7 were sales informed decisions. Kaby Lake/Z270 is hardly setting anyone on fire.

My previous reply was impractical and incisive as it was passionate. Almost certainly it was informed by some direct thought on the correct way to interpret others work which has become a topic here in recent days. Make no mistake the critique came only after many hours of examining what pictures and research could yield. I'd rather find myself on the hot seat for trying to make your product better than denouncing your labor for my own gain. Storage and structure scale fairly quickly in personal computing if you consider the scale and structure in place above them. Only you know what was deemed feasible and if what is being suggested fits. While maintaining the passively cooled operation almost nobody gets right.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Christoph (and Edward), we had today a very interesting meeting listening to the SGM-2015 with several TOL DACs (Aqua Formula, TotalDAC & DAVE) and comparing it to other sources.

All 4 attendee have been convinced by the superiority of the SGM server but... the main surprise, after comparing the SGM-2015 to the SonicTransporter + MicroRendu, without using up-sampling, was that the main interest of the SGM is may be not his upscaling capabilities via HQPlayer, but his quality as a ROON Music server.

It provides indeed a very clean and quiet music flow to the USB DACs, even without up-sampling via HQserver. The Up-sampling being an added bonus to this TOL music server.

IMG_1712.jpg

Hi EuroDriver,

Would you advice the SMGS to upgrade to Room 1.3? Any problem you have noticed after upgrading?

Hold off on the upgrade to Roon 1.3 for now. Ed/Sound Galleries is making that recommendation. Once they have done a shake down of 1.3 they will let everyone know.

Also hold off on the new Roon remote upgrade till they give the go. Then you can do both.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

• 2 weeks later...

2.jpg

1.jpg

6moons audioreviews: Sound Galleries SGM 2015

Congratulations @Geoffrey Armstrong and @EuroDriver on the Bluemoon Award from 6moons!

It has been a pleasure to follow the developments of the SGM 2015 server on here.

Thank you for sharing the journey with all of us here on CA.

It was very interesting to see you guys push the envelope in developing a SOA server.

A great example of CA being on the cutting edge of computer based audio!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

2.jpg

1.jpg

6moons audioreviews: Sound Galleries SGM 2015

Congratulations @Geoffrey Armstrong and @EuroDriver on the Bluemoon Award from 6moons!

It has been a pleasure to follow the developments of the SGM 2015 server on here.

Thank you for sharing the journey with all of us here on CA.

It was very interesting to see you guys push the envelope in developing a SOA server.

A great example of CA being on the cutting edge of computer based audio!

Thanks for your kind comments Nikhil, we very much appreciate it!

We were very happy to receive this review on New Years Eve!

We were also over the moon to receive a Greatest Bits award from Michael Lavorgna

http://www.audiostream.com/content/sound-galleries-sgm-2015-music-server#LzCGCKsMr8LjbLC1.97

Best,

Geoffrey

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

Hi Geoffrey,

Yes, I did notice that the award was from a few weeks ago.

However since there was no mention of it on this thread I thought I would go ahead and mention it on here.

Great to see the contribution from @Miska of HQP as well on the server.

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110