IGNORED

ECdesigns

See my post 

These Supercap filter/PSUs are just marvellous

I use 5 of these

1. a 12v unit between my 1.5 amp LT3045 psu and my AfterDark Queen Master Clock

2. 1 unit 5v unit powered by a 2x4amp 5v lpsu to power my Clones Audio SHAAR PCIE usb card

3. My 2 music SSD's are then powered off the 2nd 5v 4amp and another 3.5 amp LT3045 lpsu to each 5v suoercap unit !

The impact of these supercap filter/psu 's cannot be underestimated!

Richer punchier lower mids.

Subterranean bass .. v punchy n tactile n had body

Sweeter cleaner sound all round

For rpi 3/4 users there are these units

US $18.99 | Super capacitor based UPS power for Raspberry Pi and embedded system,7-24v input,5v or 12v output
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO2NkNeIMG_8108.thumb.png.4eb61462ce466742309a56b2087ed1a4.png

These 5v supercap units serve as power filters for my PC 5v power circuit of the motherboard! 

Just plug it in ! i had the ethernet adapter and 1 unit plugged into the USB 3.2 bank 

1 unit on the USB3.0 bank ( this unit had nothing connected to the output )

Together they clean up the 5v power of the PC

i hv mutiple filter units on the 12v /5v power of my 1000watt Corsair ATX psu

4 mounted directly on the PCIe slots and NVME slots(using adapters)

Swear it works better than a 850watt Teradek ATX lpsu( could not power a high TDP intel cpu)IMG_8109.thumb.jpeg.8743e6bba877a339e339107c71dfab2d.jpeg

4 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

These 5v supercap units serve as power filters for my PC 5v power circuit of the motherboard! 

Just plug it in ! i had the ethernet adapter and 1 unit plugged into the USB 3.2 bank 

1 unit on the USB3.0 bank ( this unit had nothing connected to the output )

Together they clean up the 5v power of the PC

i hv mutiple filter units on the 12v /5v power of my 1000watt Corsair ATX psu

4 mounted directly on the PCIe slots and NVME slots(using adapters)

Swear it works better than a 850watt Teradek ATX lpsu( could not power a high TDP intel cpu)IMG_8109.thumb.jpeg.8743e6bba877a339e339107c71dfab2d.jpeg

Still too noisy a RPi3 will perform a lot better .

11 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

Well if u jv not heard the superior SQ of s high powered mobo with 83 smp pesk current delivery 🤔

N it is v v quiet

I have and it does not perform like a RPi3 .

All that current is not necessary .

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, tapatrick said:

I’ve been in touch with Gordon & John at EC Designs and there are new versions of the R & S powerdacs in the pipeline.  More news in the next few weeks/months.  

Hopefully they offer the new versions a more conventional enclosure.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

And with higher (more standard) 2V output level. 9_9

The new S version will be able to drive 4-8 ohm speakers directly with 20 watts output. The same technology will be used in the R version, both vertical and flat enclosure. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Hello everyone

I put on sale the Power Dac R @Huubster version with many extras.

ECdesings remote 
Rapsberry Pi 4 B 8gb
Ian Canada IAN CANADA PUREPI Ultracapacitor / Batteries Dual Power Supply Module for Raspberry Pi 5V/3.3V
Ian Canada SHIELD PI PRO 
Ian Canada Transport Pi Digi with Crystek 957 clocks

I have tried other much more expensive hardware configurations and even the top ones from Iana Canada and with Roon this is the one that works best for me. Sounds fantastic.

5 optical cables, including the two recommended by Huubster and a Optilink-5 also recommended in topic. All of them offer a very different sound profile.

It's a wonderful system but I have a Philips tda1541A dac with double crown chip tube output,  that sounds pretty much the same and it's not worth having two systems of such a high level. I find it incredible that in da as Ecdesigns sounds the same as a dac with a price in pieces five times higher.

Interested send a private message.

Thank you

This is what I have been told.

The new PowerDAC-RX and also the PowerDAC-SX will have normal housing.

The new PowerDAC-RXV is similar to old PowerDAC-R but no heatsink, just less thick and has integrated power supply.

The PowerDAC-RX(V) will have new DAC board with improved zero crossing logic (X) and has better sound quality than current PowerDAC-B and PowerDAC-R.

We made the PowerDAC-B without volume control and standard housing to somewhat lower price.

We now decided to make our own housing again for PowerDAC SX and PowerDAC RX(V).

We will no longer use the UK supplied housing for PowerDAC-B, and will probably no longer offer PowerDAC-B.

6 hours ago, Michael L said:

The new PowerDAC-RX and also the PowerDAC-SX will have normal housing.

The new PowerDAC-RXV is similar to old PowerDAC-R but no heatsink, just less thick and has integrated power supply.

The PowerDAC-RX(V) will have new DAC board with improved zero crossing logic (X) and has better sound quality than current PowerDAC-B and PowerDAC-R.

We made the PowerDAC-B without volume control and standard housing to somewhat lower price.

We now decided to make our own housing again for PowerDAC SX and PowerDAC RX(V).

We will no longer use the UK supplied housing for PowerDAC-B, and will probably no longer offer PowerDAC-B.

If they are able to reduce the price of the PD RX a bit as a result of cheaper casework, then I will definitely be buying one. Still happy with the Mosaic dac. 

On 7/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, matthias said:

Means that it can be placed into a rack?

Thx

Matt

Yes will be similar to the powerdac B format. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

10 hours ago, Michael L said:

If I’ve understood what you’ve laid out, there will be three models:

RXV- very similar to current R (vol+vertical housing)

RX - similar to current B (no vol +  conventional rack housing)

SX - drive speakers direct, built in vol (functionality of current S) but in a conventional rack housing 

Is that correct?

4 hours ago, Norton said:

If I’ve understood what you’ve laid out, there will be three models:

RXV- very similar to current R (vol+vertical housing)

RX - similar to current B (no vol +  conventional rack housing)

SX - drive speakers direct, built in vol (functionality of current S) but in a conventional rack housing 

Is that correct?

My understanding is that V means vertical and both R and S have volume control ???

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, matthias said:

My understanding is that V means vertical and both R and S have volume control ???

Matt

Yes that is what I have been told.

The R models have volume control but need power amp. The SX will be able to output 20 watts to drive speakers directly. And all sound better than previous. The SX now sounds better than using with tube amps. 

The X stands for the new technology brought about by purchased drivers no longer being in spec so were unusable and they had to adapt the DAC boards.  

First available model in next few months will be the the RXV. 

44 minutes ago, Michael L said:

I know that EC Designs Dacs need a bit perfect stream. I'm considering buying headphones that benefit from EQ. Will this treatment result in the stream not being bit-perfect?

Any DSP you do, such as EQ-ing for headphones, changes the bit stream so it is no longer bit perfect. I am not sure how that would affect a DAC though, as they're still getting bits to convert.

No electron left behind.