IGNORED

ECdesigns

23 hours ago, yogibear said:

Yes and I have both. 

B is a welcome change if you are not a headphone guy. 

Did you find SQ or musicality differences between B and R in your set-up with speakers?

Thx

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Not really. With some tube amps the DHT preamp makes a staggering difference, but with two new ones which have highest grade OPTs, the DHT preamp is redundant.

In any case B and R sound the same. The mute and volume function on R sometimes comes very handy when you actually want to cut it out without powering off. This is helpful with tube amps.

10 minutes ago, yogibear said:

Not really. With some tube amps the DHT preamp makes a staggering difference, but with two new ones which have highest grade OPTs, the DHT preamp is redundant.

In any case B and R sound the same. The mute and volume function on R sometimes comes very handy when you actually want to cut it out without powering off. This is helpful with tube amps.

Do you have plans to post some vids on YT with the B?

Matt

• 1 month later...

Using RPi3 with hat as per image with PiCorePlayer OS a JLH shunt regulated PSU with Daphile server and FMC with a Teradak FMC on RPi3 side preliminary results in my opion it really sounds considerably better than UTL 192 .

XMOS USB seems to be really

crap .

IMG_20230501_011047.jpg

12 hours ago, matthias said:

Which USB solution does your set-up use?

Thx

Matt

I do not use USB anymore as I think it is too noisy .

My setup as previously mentioned is Daphile server to RPi3 and out through the top hat in the image .

Though I used to use the Allo USB Bridge Signature .

Hi all,

I'm going to sell my 2nd PowerDAC to make some room for other stuff.

What you get is a 'modded' PowerDAC.  I tried and tested different capacitor brands to find the best sounding caps for the DAC. I changed caps in both DAC and the power supply. After testing quite a few I have found my personal favorite setup: 

PowerDac --> 2 Audio Note Kaisei caps in the power supply path and 2 Silmic II caps in the signal path. 

Power supply --> Elna for audio caps and Schottkey diodes

Don't worry, it's not completely unrecognizable, it's still in it's original enclosure and in very good shape. The enclosure is very easy to take apart and re-assemble due to John's smart design. 

If you are interested, please PM me.

15 hours ago, Huubster said:

Hi all,

I'm going to sell my 2nd PowerDAC to make some room for other stuff.

What you get is a 'modded' PowerDAC.  I tried and tested different capacitor brands to find the best sounding caps for the DAC. I changed caps in both DAC and the power supply. After testing quite a few I have found my personal favorite setup: 

PowerDac --> 2 Audio Note Kaisei caps in the power supply path and 2 Silmic II caps in the signal path. 

Power supply --> Elna for audio caps and Schottkey diodes

Don't worry, it's not completely unrecognizable, it's still in it's original enclosure and in very good shape. The enclosure is very easy to take apart and re-assemble due to John's smart design. 

If you are interested, please PM me.

Sold

5 hours ago, Perri said:

Interesting anyone seen this before ?

http://www.sonicillusions.co.uk/power_dac.html

Never heard of them, looks interesting and somewhat ECD-like,  but they describe various items as projects  rather than products, with no  sales info, which suggests maybe non-commercial or DIY?  Last news on site was 2 years ago.  I would say website design is not their forte…

On 5/4/2023 at 7:15 PM, Norton said:

Never heard of them, looks interesting and somewhat ECD-like,  but they describe various items as projects  rather than products, with no  sales info, which suggests maybe non-commercial or DIY?  Last news on site was 2 years ago.  I would say website design is not their forte…

I found this passage remarkable:

"Being a unipolar DAC, though, there is a significant amount of switching distortion around the mid point, exacerbated by the considerably higher currents flowing in comparison to the line-level Discrete."

Does someone know if this is also the case with the ECD PowerDAC?

Thx

Matt

The toslink hat and RPi combination I am using really makes a huge difference to the sound compared to the U192 it is a night and day difference .

It really does seem that this unit is not as it claims and is extremely source dependant .

Getting in a clean and complete signal from my source PC to my Teradak FMC to the RPi it seems is of great importance and makes a huge difference to this PowerDAC .

I do not understand how John never seems to get this part right , it's as if it's his Achilles heal in his designs .

2 hours ago, Perri said:

The toslink hat and RPi combination I am using really makes a huge difference to the sound compared to the U192 it is a night and day difference .

It really does seem that this unit is not as it claims and is extremely source dependant .

Getting in a clean and complete signal from my source PC to my Teradak FMC to the RPi it seems is of great importance and makes a huge difference to this PowerDAC .

I do not understand how John never seems to get this part right , it's as if it's his Achilles heal in his designs .

Every system is source depended :)
If you are using a HQ CD player with optical output  - than you have a Stable source .
Once you are using ANY computing solution - you have to stabilize it , isolate it , use correct software and Hardware....
Also - the optical cable qaulty make the difference too.
I have found this "Old Stock" from Audioquest Optilink 5 (!!) and it is GOOD.
https://he.aliexpress.com/item/1005003711171682.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.47.4af3586akfmolJ&gatewayAdapt=glo2isr

With my PDB - i have open up the upper cover and drill a hole right above the USB-A input.
It is left there for software update but also can handle the 5V direct input instead the inner PS.
Im using QLS 5V Battery Power Supply and it works like a charm.

As this DAC will show and reveille EVERYTHING  - yes, what you "Put" to the input makes a huge difference.

I dont have any experience with PRI system, i know they can be good but never compared.
For PC i recommend to invest in Memory Player systems or to build your own using JCAT LAN + USB cards with PS + the Industrial memory (It DOES makes the difference too).

If you are on the budget - should try the new WiiM Pro (!!) as by ASR (that i hate) the Digital output is remarkably very clean, so using HQ Toslink cable with that could be a good solution.

After that .... you will find out that even Sinergestic LAN enhancer - a passive device that you stuck in your router ......YES, it is also make the sound better when using WiFi.

Since there are so ... so... many options , so many "upgrades" ... - you (in plural) have to understand now WHY there are $$$$$ units out there - those guys spend years to find out the BEST solution..... and yet, there is always something a tide better :):):)

Jacob
HiFi Connect
+972-54-9333389

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 1:51 PM, Perri said:

Put one of these
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP7O5vm in fornt of your U192UTL and your Power DAC-R and be amazed .

Looks to be this super capacitor stuff so far seems to actually work .

903256059-1649879295.jpg

Does this device need a permanent connection to a power supply or can it work without one when the supercaps are fully charged?

Thx

Matt

On 6/5/2023 at 4:18 PM, matthias said:

Does this device need a permanent connection to a power supply or can it work without one when the supercaps are fully charged?

Thx

Matt

I have mine hooked up to a JLH ripple eater .

It does stay on though not for very long it seems .

See my post 

These Supercap filter/PSUs are just marvellous

I use 5 of these

1. a 12v unit between my 1.5 amp LT3045 psu and my AfterDark Queen Master Clock

2. 1 unit 5v unit powered by a 2x4amp 5v lpsu to power my Clones Audio SHAAR PCIE usb card

3. My 2 music SSD's are then powered off the 2nd 5v 4amp and another 3.5 amp LT3045 lpsu to each 5v suoercap unit !

The impact of these supercap filter/psu 's cannot be underestimated!

Richer punchier lower mids.

Subterranean bass .. v punchy n tactile n had body

Sweeter cleaner sound all round

IMG_8094.jpeg

6 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

See my post 

These Supercap filter/PSUs are just marvellous

I use 5 of these

1. a 12v unit between my 1.5 amp LT3045 psu and my AfterDark Queen Master Clock

2. 1 unit 5v unit powered by a 2x4amp 5v lpsu to power my Clones Audio SHAAR PCIE usb card

3. My 2 music SSD's are then powered off the 2nd 5v 4amp and another 3.5 amp LT3045 lpsu to each 5v suoercap unit !

The impact of these supercap filter/psu 's cannot be underestimated!

Richer punchier lower mids.

Subterranean bass .. v punchy n tactile n had body

Sweeter cleaner sound all round

IMG_8094.jpeg

Use the MAC as a server with Daphile buy a RPi3 with a the top hat as per the one I placed a link to previously and see how you can improve your sound even more of course with one of your 5 volt super capacitors filters hooked up to it .

I think I will eventually invest in IanCanadas FifoPi and top hat with his super capacitor filters .

Hed35aafdc2364e2db382c135905e62094.jpg