IGNORED

ECdesigns

5 hours ago, tapatrick said:

The Dynamics are super. I don't tend to focus on one aspect of the SQ as the SX has a holistic quality that is very satisfying but I did try those pieces of music for you guys... :). I tried with 1812 and Jethro Tull and there is no problem with dynamics. The cannons in 1812 are a real shock!

As mentioned I think the pairing of speakers with the SX is of utmost importance. You really need a sensitive speaker to benefit from the power rating and the distortion free sound from the SX - mine are 94.5db. Would love to try 100db versions - ie Finale Audio’s Kensington Speakers, but that is a whole world of experimentation I'm not going down...

What I notice most is the quality of recordings and how different they can be in. The bass (if it is in the recording) is enough with the super alnicos and I have also tried 2 Rel subwoofers that I plug in sometimes. This extends the low end nicely when set properly, making the sound more immersive.

That's great to hear! Then we can scratch my theory and chalk that down to the ECDesigns recommended speakers (I cannot blame them at all, speaker design can be a doozy). I'm sure then the sound must be crazy good, my instinct tells me the weight of the Hemp Cone must really blend well with the sheer immediacy of the PowerDAC.

I have heard speakers up to the half-a-million Euro mark, and I find the Omegas more immersive than them. The horn speakers I've heard were nice, but one-party trickers as well. The dynamics might be better than single drivers, but they were nowhere near as holistic and there's definitely discontinuity under the horn (at least the sets I've heard, which had direct radiators underneath). I personally think that Omega Loudspeakers are amongst the best speakers commercially available out there regardless of price. They will not impress at first, but you've known for years by now that they are special.

10 hours ago, Varinder said:

Could you share the link for buying Altec 755 clone .. And have you compared it with original Altec 755A and if so what’s your take please 

I haven't bought the 755A clones. Though they're near the top of the list for 2024.

https://reverb.com/item/38883006-altec-755-western-electric-8-speaker-clone-real-altec-american-parts-one-piece-cone-cap-pmr-1st

Based off that impulse response, though, they definitely have different qualities from the original, though I think they'll mate well with the ESS AMTs I have in storage.

The sound is drier and more tempered with the original, the new one might end up being more "fun" with some extra low end and by quite a bit not as much delicacy in the treble...

Which regardless works out better for me (just have to keep in mind to get the paper surround with doping).

1 hour ago, Khronos said:

That's great to hear! Then we can scratch my theory and chalk that down to the ECDesigns recommended speakers (I cannot blame them at all, speaker design can be a doozy). I'm sure then the sound must be crazy good, my instinct tells me the weight of the Hemp Cone must really blend well with the sheer immediacy of the PowerDAC.

I have heard speakers up to the half-a-million Euro mark, and I find the Omegas more immersive than them. The horn speakers I've heard were nice, but one-party trickers as well. The dynamics might be better than single drivers, but they were nowhere near as holistic and there's definitely discontinuity under the horn (at least the sets I've heard, which had direct radiators underneath). I personally think that Omega Loudspeakers are amongst the best speakers commercially available out there regardless of price. They will not impress at first, but you've known for years by now that they are special.

That's interesting to hear your experience of the Omegas and I've read similar reports. I did a fair bit of research and reading reviews before deciding on the Super Alnicos and havn't regretted it. (Possibly the Super Alnicos high output at 97db would be an improvement). They are the only part of my system that has lasted the course. Everything else has been changed a few times. 

Would be curious to hear the EC Designs recommended open Baffle speakers at 102dB / 2ohm...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

7 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Would be curious to hear the EC Designs recommended open Baffle speakers at 102dB / 2ohm...

They are pretty good and you should definitely try them!  Easy to build, very extended bandwidth.  Drivers take some time to burn-in and placement, as with any OB, is key.  The array design is a compromise in a way, but , as mentioned before, proper placement in the room will sort that out!

On 12/28/2023 at 3:36 AM, Khronos said:

I haven't bought the 755A clones. Though they're near the top of the list for 2024.

https://reverb.com/item/38883006-altec-755-western-electric-8-speaker-clone-real-altec-american-parts-one-piece-cone-cap-pmr-1st

Based off that impulse response, though, they definitely have different qualities from the original, though I think they'll mate well with the ESS AMTs I have in storage.

The sound is drier and more tempered with the original, the new one might end up being more "fun" with some extra low end and by quite a bit not as much delicacy in the treble...

Which regardless works out better for me (just have to keep in mind to get the paper surround with doping).

🙏 Thanks fr the reply .. If you are after WE sound ..Look for Pioneer PIM8  also known as Laffeyyte SK98 ( jelabs blog has reviewed it)which is also called poor man’s Altec 755 ..You can get it fr 250-300 dollrs pair … Another good spkr is Western electric KS-14792 which has Alnico as well as ceramic version .. sells fr 1000-1800 dollrs in Japan but in US I got Alnico fr 300 dollars ..Ferrite is I blv still available .. 

JBL Le8T are fantastic drivers. You can get an nos or mint pair and get those yellow surrounds changed to foam for cheap. I will pick them anyday. Excellent top end exceeding 10k and low end goes under 40hz whether you put them in a ported box (Kenrich sound, Japan) or even as single driver open baffle or even a line array. There will be nothing more left to be desired. 

Another driver which is a little harder to find but not impossible and you can still find many nos pairs from Japan is Matsushita / Technics / National 8PW1. Undisputed frequency response from 17k to 50-70hz in open baffle, low extension depending on your baffle size. 95dB sensitivity. 

9 hours ago, yogibear said:

Further impressions on SX:

1. Very very dark background.

2. Explosive dynamics.

3. Unreal details.

4. Smooth midrange.

5. Staggering bass. 

It’s getting very “Goosebumpy” !!!! No words to explain…. (Improving with break in… perhaps) 

Yep, thats it. Well said

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Adding up everything I have known so far in my 4 or so year journey as an Audiophile, I've come to realize that everything, including my dear SCL amplifier, is colored. Simply. My Amp had been the most uncolored piece of equipment I'd come across, including pieces in the mid-to-high figure range, high six figure range if we include speakers. Now that's been completely shattered by the PowerDAC BX. I am currently considering how to proceed ahead. Should I just start a journey to two PowerDAC SXs? One for speakers and another for headphones. I had complex, long lists of equipment I''d been planning to get my hands on, resulting from years of research into topologies and quiet contemplation.

Now, though? Source -> USB > USC-1001 -> ECD PowerDAC SX. I can probably use my BX for (gasp) Home Theater duties. Mind, the BX is still plenty source sensitive. It might be my DDC, however there's clear differences between UAPP on my mobile devices (Galaxy S23FE, probably the only new smartphone that can USB out without the need for bifurcated cables; and a Galaxy Tab s7+), my Asus OLED Laptop, and my DAP (Hiby RS2 equiped with a Swissbit microSD). My DAP is the best source so far, though currently in my laptop I've gone through a handful of Audiophile software for streaming (Roon and Audirvana), and curiously the best sounding one was the Qobuz app with WASAPI Exclusive. I'm only getting small penalties in saturation, PRAT, timing, blackness, and fluidity in comparison with my DAP's library; with the convenience that now I'm not limited to my downloaded albums and ripped CDs. This is at least in my experience, with my personal qualia and current equipment. Audirvana makes the sound jagged and overtly saturated, Roon is bleached and "audiophile". Qobuz is drug-like in comparison. Details bloom even further and colors and emotion are wonderfully expressed. I wonder what could cause this.

Further impressions on the SX:

The bass bloomed like a flower with time. What’s baffling is, looks like the bass extension on my bookshelf speakers extended by itself while playing through the SX. Despite the volume at the SX, be it at just 15 on 88dB BS or full throttle 24, the distortion is non-existent and I hear low low end notes from some recordings that never existed before ! 

How about a 40 watter DAC in future ????

2 hours ago, yogibear said:

Further impressions on the SX:

The bass bloomed like a flower with time. What’s baffling is, looks like the bass extension on my bookshelf speakers extended by itself while playing through the SX. Despite the volume at the SX, be it at just 15 on 88dB BS or full throttle 24, the distortion is non-existent and I hear low low end notes from some recordings that never existed before ! 

How about a 40 watter DAC in future ????

Quite sure it might be because the ECDesigns can probably generate square waves at extremely high frequencies (Mhz?) Meaning the circuit is slinging its current extremely quickly, so bass extension comes to you unfettered.

I personally am of the feel that the first watt is the most important, at the point the SX is in it starts to enter diminishing returns with power. So you might have small or minimal improvements with a high-powered version of the SX (even though it might theoretically increase the compatibility with speakers). Most of the power is turning to heat with loudspeakers anyways.

You are an experienced DIYer. It might be time to blend the positive qualities of your OBs (Full-range, very high efficiency minimal to no filter) and the Monitors (extremely well-designed baffle geometry, bass extension through properly damped woofer) into an ultimate speaker?

Think Diapason Dynamis or Evolution acoustics MM2, but made to be 95+ db efficient. Series filters, minimal crossover in signal path, an efficient tweeter (Horn? Ribbon? AMT?), maybe your full-rangers as the midrangers and then large, highly efficient woofers for the slam.

Apologies if this sounds pretentious or nosy.

1-2325970770.jpg

mmtwo_1.jpg

I wished for 40 watter as it would leave no speaker behind as “not so compatible”. 

Yes, many speakers are planned in near future including horn setups. A bigger room is planned as well. Five pairs of horns in solid wood already accomplished, drivers accounted for.  Let’s see how it rolls out. Minimal or no crossover design is planned as well.