IGNORED

ECdesigns

19 minutes ago, Khronos said:

You seem like someone who reads Glow in the Dark Audio as well. 😄

I admit I don't have experience with vintage drivers (I have some Coral Holey baskets awaiting for when I buy a soldering iron, though), but based off from your YouTube videos, the sound is very nice! The high efficiency must also make it so realistic sound levels are breezy on the amp, how good are they with large scale orchestra?

Regardless, it's nice to see somebody finally starting to achieve their nirvana (Guess all there's left is fiddling with the electronics' circuits and driver combination).

Are you by any chance acquainted with the work of J.C Morrison? The technicalities go over my head, but his circuits are masterful.

https://www.labjc.com/

Kevin from glowinthedarkaudio and I are like in a parallel world. FRs in OB driven by tube amps, yes. Independent discoveries….

High efficiency is an advantage but despite, biggest factor is distortion…. That should be lowest, be it speakers or amps.  My tube amp designs are focused around lowest IMD. 

Thanks for sharing JC Morrison page. Will explore and learn…

17 hours ago, Khronos said:

I understand. Currently I'm a fair bit of a Tool fan so I doubt I'll have perfect hearing by the time I'm 30.

My main listening is on a set of LSA HP-2s modified by JM Audio supported by an Audio Envy Tonekraft cable. To my ears, they lack ultimate detail and they are definitely not neutral, but back in May, when I went to Pacific Audio Fest and tried several Summit-Fi Headphones and Amps, I can say the only one that could match it or surpass it where it is important to me are the ZMF Caldera. In the words of the guy at a certain headphone amp table: "These are... very holographic." The PowerDAC BX takes this to the next level. I'm reading on speaker building and eventually hope to make my own custom loudspeakers with the ESS AMT, a clone of the Altec 755, and series first order filters.

I'm not much of a basshead. I say Bass as I've found dry, fast bass is a good measure to listen for transient quality. I understand why you say "Satri This, Satri that". I haven't plunged deeper into SCL's offerings and I only own a CAP-1003. Personally where it is important it to me it is a near-perfect amp. I can understand why you would say it is flawed, since it has a sound that can hardly synergize with anything less than perfect. At least with my Hiby RS2 and Audio Envy Wiring and LSA HP-2s I found excellent synergy, though the DAC was definitely holding  everything back. Which is why I plunged on the POWERDAC-BX. It's a dry sound, but it is excellent, there's a holistic way everything comes together. My Audio Envy RCAs are on their way,  so I only used some Anticables which definitely colored the sound a fair bit. Many would call these wires fairly uncolored and given how immediate their flaws came through I think this means the system's fairly transparent.

As a side note, I preferred the SCL to several well-regarded, mid to high four figure amplifiers. Pride of ownership? Bias? Maybe. All I know is that I dislike the high frequency ringing from negative feedback.

What's a good digital source on your opinion?

But let me disgress, I've definitely hijacked the thread a good bit at this point.😣

Yea Satri circutit seems to be at its best with headphones, but even then underpowered for some!

I used Bakoon amp with with Mosaic T16 DAC and while the sound was special and later when i got 1st Watt F7 it reminded me a bit of Bakoon, with the difference that Bakoon was just too fast. It didnt let me live in the moment. When i perceived the musical intention, it already was on its way to other tune, and other and other. Never contemplated on the moment.
So there was something with Satri transients, probly decay was shortened. Also very special highs, but in the long term a bit too much energy. I noticed this pattern also with other owners and different speakers.

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL

9 hours ago, M_audio said:

Yea Satri circutit seems to be at its best with headphones, but even then underpowered for some!

I used Bakoon amp with with Mosaic T16 DAC and while the sound was special and later when i got 1st Watt F7 it reminded me a bit of Bakoon, with the difference that Bakoon was just too fast. It didnt let me live in the moment. When i perceived the musical intention, it already was on its way to other tune, and other and other. Never contemplated on the moment.
So there was something with Satri transients, probly decay was shortened. Also very special highs, but in the long term a bit too much energy. I noticed this pattern also with other owners and different speakers.

Let's agree to disagree on this topic, perception of audio is subjective after all (as you've mentioned before).

Considering your preferences, and assuming you are not upgrading to the PowerDAC-SX or variant if the audio bug hits again, I think you should have both Lejonklou and Sparkler audio on your short list. Especially the former given your enjoyment of the Sparkos. Again, though, whether you can audition either is location dependent.

Taptrick! Thanks for the positive feedback!  It's nice to know that a Macbook pro and the Memory Player sound the same on the SX.  ECDesigns have achieved something remarkable as this will save me money on a music server.  I really like the simplicity of the SX, but I am looking at the Qualio IQ speakers which are 89db into 4ohms, so I am thinking the RX with a dedicated amplifier would work better.

9 minutes ago, Muzikmann said:

Taptrick! Thanks for the positive feedback!  It's nice to know that a Macbook pro and the Memory Player sound the same on the SX.  ECDesigns have achieved something remarkable as this will save me money on a music server.  I really like the simplicity of the SX, but I am looking at the Qualio IQ speakers which are 89db into 4ohms, so I am thinking the RX with a dedicated amplifier would work better.

The SX gives up to max 14W at 4ohms.  I’d recommend considering it, but only if that would be enough power for you.  

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

7 hours ago, Khronos said:

The IQs are said to love power, though. So it's a case of think less PowerDAC SX and more Schiit Tyr levels of power.

Crikey, 350w into 4 ohms. Should heat the room in winter...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

29 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Crikey, 350w into 4 ohms. Should heat the room in winter...

Just need a Class A or tube amp for that.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

15 hours ago, tapatrick said:

The SX gives up to max 14W at 4ohms.  I’d recommend considering it, but only if that would be enough power for you.

I would if it wasn't for the IQ speakers I am considering - I think 14W would be anemic for the IQ's which I have read loves lots of power.  If I change my mind on speakers, I wouldn't hesitate to try the SX.

7 hours ago, Muzikmann said:

I would if it wasn't for the IQ speakers I am considering - I think 14W would be anemic for the IQ's which I have read loves lots of power.  If I change my mind on speakers, I wouldn't hesitate to try the SX.

This one's going to be a doozy, especially since there's a to of options for high power Solid State. Good luck!

Good to hear EC Designs are now selling at a UK dealer. I've just had a look at their website. Close to pulling the trigger on the RX which I think is worth the extra ££ for the volume control - so useful for headphones where a bit perfect signal is needed so cannot be controlled on - in my case - the MacBook

1 hour ago, Michael L said:

Good to hear EC Designs are now selling at a UK dealer. I've just had a look at their website. Close to pulling the trigger on the RX which I think is worth the extra ££ for the volume control - so useful for headphones where a bit perfect signal is needed so cannot be controlled on - in my case - the MacBook

Yes, The SX and RX both have the IR remote volume control. RX outputs max 1.7V and the SX supplies max 11.31V output.

I'd reference back to the EC manuals as I'm not sure the copy on the Elise website is right for each product.

Pics or it didn't happen (Pardon the terrible stand, I'm still planning around the furniture and this is what I had laying around).

Currently having issues with a high-end USB cable I ordered, so I'm making do with a Walmart Brand printer cable.

Needless to say the UAPP -> USC-1001 -> ECDesigns PowerDAC BX -> CAP-1003 -> LSA HP-2 JMs is ruthless about an el cheapo printer cable in the chain. (My poor PRAT 😟)

From there on, I am happy to report that, once I get a proper cable (and maybe a Ultrasonic Filter for the ECD, wonder how much will Burn-in help with the nyquist) it's Digital Endgame. Thick as a Brick has never sound this good!

Edit: High-Frequency noise may be source dependent. Experimenting.

20231223_185526.jpg

20231223_185512.jpg

On 12/18/2023 at 6:48 AM, Khronos said:

A shot in the dark, but I wonder if it's because the Powerdac SX is more regulating the signal as is without taking into consideration any extra electrical draw the speaker might have? In the end it's by design a bunch of switches and resistors between a load and a linear power supply, meaning it's regulating rather than supplying. It lacks the voltage to support bass trasients if you listen closely to Stephane Ls videos on Youtube (the PowerDAC S also seemed to suffer from this, though at a lesser level.)

Though that also makes me wonder why it wouldn't be drawing extra power from the PSU (keyword: regulator,  maybe?) as it would with something that has active devices in it. The PowerDAC BX definitely does not soften the transients after all.

Interesting thoughts,

I am wondering how stable the PS of the Powerdac SX is when the output is 10W at 8 Ohms and 16W at 2 Ohms.

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

8 hours ago, matthias said:

Interesting thoughts,

I am wondering how stable the PS of the Powerdac SX is when the output is 10W at 8 Ohms and 16W at 2 Ohms.

It sounds plenty stable, not strained as if it was clipping. More like it does not want to give more volume (somehow) since clipping is like a hard stop at the dynamics.

It could also be Stephane's speakers, since they are drivers meant to go in a vented box driven open baffle. Tapatrick has way better optimized speakers, perhaps he could fill us in regarding dynamics? (I know for a fact Omegas are extremely dynamic by nature, almost on the level of horn speakers. So if he feels they are lacking in the dynamics then it's probably the way the PowerDAC is designed, which might prompt ECDesigns to make an external buffer for it).

On 12/21/2023 at 2:04 AM, tapatrick said:

My speakers only need 2 watts to sing. And that choice would likely also depend on the kind of music you prefer to listen to. 

How good is the Combo with dynamic music? (1812, Thick as a Brick, Akira OST, etc)

On 12/18/2023 at 12:25 AM, Khronos said:

I understand. Currently I'm a fair bit of a Tool fan so I doubt I'll have perfect hearing by the time I'm 30.

My main listening is on a set of LSA HP-2s modified by JM Audio supported by an Audio Envy Tonekraft cable. To my ears, they lack ultimate detail and they are definitely not neutral, but back in May, when I went to Pacific Audio Fest and tried several Summit-Fi Headphones and Amps, I can say the only one that could match it or surpass it where it is important to me are the ZMF Caldera. In the words of the guy at a certain headphone amp table: "These are... very holographic." The PowerDAC BX takes this to the next level. I'm reading on speaker building and eventually hope to make my own custom loudspeakers with the ESS AMT, a clone of the Altec 755, and series first order filters.

I'm not much of a basshead. I say Bass as I've found dry, fast bass is a good measure to listen for transient quality. I understand why you say "Satri This, Satri that". I haven't plunged deeper into SCL's offerings and I only own a CAP-1003. Personally where it is important it to me it is a near-perfect amp. I can understand why you would say it is flawed, since it has a sound that can hardly synergize with anything less than perfect. At least with my Hiby RS2 and Audio Envy Wiring and LSA HP-2s I found excellent synergy, though the DAC was definitely holding  everything back. Which is why I plunged on the POWERDAC-BX. It's a dry sound, but it is excellent, there's a holistic way everything comes together. My Audio Envy RCAs are on their way,  so I only used some Anticables which definitely colored the sound a fair bit. Many would call these wires fairly uncolored and given how immediate their flaws came through I think this means the system's fairly transparent.

As a side note, I preferred the SCL to several well-regarded, mid to high four figure amplifiers. Pride of ownership? Bias? Maybe. All I know is that I dislike the high frequency ringing from negative feedback.

What's a good digital source on your opinion?

But let me disgress, I've definitely hijacked the thread a good bit at this point.😣

Could you share the link for buying Altec 755 clone .. And have you compared it with original Altec 755A and if so what’s your take please