IGNORED

Official Roon User Impressions Thread

I gave it a try today, but also cancelled today:

1) very easy to set up

2) I could even run it through Amarra SQ

3) very good interface, some great info

But

4) it couldn't find some "simple albums" in my library; e.g. it did not recognise Lorde's EP "Tennis Court" and gave me the same cover for both "Heroine" and "Heroine Extended"

5) it mentioned the release date for an album as 9/8/14 and the original release date as 9/9/14

Picky, I know, but in its current state not a must have for me.

Dieter

1) very easy to set up

But

4) it couldn't find some "simple albums" in my library; e.g. it did not recognise Lorde's EP "Tennis Court" and gave me the same cover for both "Heroine" and "Heroine Extended"

5) it mentioned the release date for an album as 9/8/14 and the original release date as 9/9/14

Dieter

How did it sound compared to Amarra (Not Amarra SQ)?

I'm not here to give you any clues as to why you should do anything.

Yes, very true and sorry if I implied that I think you're on the hook (I don't). I was hoping for anyone, not necessarily you, to chime in and teach me what is different about Roon, eg, does it display liner notes? How does it make listening to music more enjoyable?

Regarding the credit card thing, I've had the experience of signing up for services thinking it was a one-time charge . . .

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

1) very easy to set up

But

Dieter

Very helpful, thanks

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

@beetlemania and @Bloodwound --

Due to license agreements with our data partners, this is unfortunately a requirement of our trials. Believe me, I hate it as much as you do. *snip*

Thanks for the honest and assuring answer. Guess I'll have to make an exception then..

Yay!

How did it sound compared to Amarra (Not Amarra SQ)?

That is a tough one, since this is rather subjective. I personally like the "warm, vinyly" sound of Amarra quite a bit, which I got with Roon through SQ.

Roon on its own sounded - again to my ears - more clinical, which in itself does not have to be bad.

I considered it quite convenient/nice to be very easily able to run it through something like SQ.

Hope that helps,

Dieter

Does anyone know if it will integrate with Archive.org? Specifically, the Grateful Dead Collection housed there. That would be an awesome achievement.

ROON Rock NUC, ALLO usb bridge, Exogal Comet, LTA MZ2, Quick Silver Mid Monos, Audio Note AN/E.

Couldn't disagree more. Spotify and Tidal are both music streaming services and we all understand exactly what they do before we buy in. Spotify even has a free version, so basically you can try it for free. In any case, when you subscribe to these services, you're not subscribing to the software features per se - you're subscribing to the ability to stream music from a massive library in an unlimited fashion.

I just subscribed to Tidal for the first time. I think the software interface isn't very good. But I don't really care, b/c I can stream all sorts of albums I don't have other access to, and discover music I didn't know about. Probably I will not buy some albums I would otherwise have purchased because I can stream them on Tidal, so in the end I think the net cost of my subscription will be close to zero.

Roon is different. You're directly subscribing to buy into the software features as a UI for music playback. Before you sign up you don't really know what you are getting or if you will even like it. I don't agree that "It's just the nature of 21st century software consumption models", because almost none of the software I own sold this way.

I probably will subscribe to Roon in the future. But because of the nature of the buy in, I'm going to wait until it has a few more of the features I want in my playback software, and see how others like it so I can be pretty sure I know what I'm getting before I fork over $500 for a lifetime subscription.

Their account/trial/billing practice is no different than any other SaaS provider, including the likes of Spotify or Tidal. Speaking of which, those services cost $119.88 and $239.88 per year (respectively, pre-tax) and offer up nothing more tangible or permanent than Roon. It's just the nature of 21st century software consumption models.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Couldn't disagree more. Spotify and Tidal are both music streaming services and we all understand exactly what they do before we buy in. Spotify even has a free version, so basically you can try it for free. In any case, when you subscribe to these services, you're not subscribing to the software features per se - you're subscribing to the ability to stream music from a massive library in an unlimited fashion.

I just subscribed to Tidal for the first time. I think the software interface isn't very good. But I don't really care, b/c I can stream all sorts of albums I don't have other access to, and discover music I didn't know about. Probably I will not buy some albums I would otherwise have purchased because I can stream them on Tidal, so in the end I think the net cost of my subscription will be close to zero.

Roon is different. You're directly subscribing to buy into the software features as a UI for music playback. Before you sign up you don't really know what you are getting or if you will even like it. I don't agree that "It's just the nature of 21st century software consumption models", because almost none of the software I own sold this way.

I probably will subscribe to Roon in the future. But because of the nature of the buy in, I'm going to wait until it has a few more of the features I want in my playback software, and see how others like it so I can be pretty sure I know what I'm getting before I fork over $500 for a lifetime subscription.

I couldn't agree more. I am with you. Many of these threads have been about SQ, something we have no clue regarding ROON. Right now, until I know more about this program and the SQ and the ability to use it in an environment I have finally got down, ie AO, I can't subscribe. I also don't like having to remember to cancel rather than having to pay at the end of the trial period. I too am in a wait and see.

I may take the trial plunge once DSD and iOS support is implemented and once I hear more about SQ. However, there is no plunge for me until it runs with Phil's AO. I haven't gone this far with AO and Server 2012 R2 just to dump it for a nicer interface. Ain't happening for me.

Roon is different. You're directly subscribing to buy into the software features as a UI for music playback.

Roon membership pricing is not about the UI, but about the metadata, the updates, the cloud sync, and other data services we provide now and in the future. The UI is built to display that metadata and other services. I wish I could charge you a one-time fee, but our cost for metadata and cloud services grow per user.

Danny, I have a few questions and please bare with me if they have already been asked and answered.

1) Is a Lifetime license good for both Windows and Apple OS. In other words can I run it on either OS (one at a time) on one PC. Say I start with a Windows OS but after six months or a year or two decide to run an Apple OS can I use my Lifetime license on both. Or if I have a Boot-Camped HD on my PC.

2) When DSD is supported will it be just DoP support or will it also support Native/Direct DSD. If it will support Native DSD will it be just on Windows?

How about DAC's that have OEM ASIO drivers for Native DSD support on Mac?

3) Support for DSD Rates? 64, 128, 256, 512? If not sure make a guess.

4) Is it correct that in order to get the discount you must purchase a license direct with out being able to do the 14 day trial?

5) Support for HQ Player is a MUST. In one form or another.

6) Is Roon DAC agnostic?

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Danny, I have a few questions and please bare with me if they have already been asked and answered.

1) Is a Lifetime license good for both Windows and Apple OS. In other words can I run it on either OS (one at a time) on one PC. Say I start with a Windows OS but after six months or a year or two decide to run an Apple OS can I use my Lifetime license on both. Or if I have a Boot-Camped HD on my PC.

2) When DSD is supported will it be just DoP support or will it also support Native/Direct DSD. If it will support Native DSD will it be just on Windows?

How about DAC's that have OEM ASIO drivers for Native DSD support on Mac?

3) Support for DSD Rates? 64, 128, 256, 512? If not sure make a guess.

4) Is it correct that in order to get the discount you must purchase a license direct with out being able to do the 14 day trial?

5) Support for HQ Player is a MUST. In one form or another.

6) Is Roon DAC agnostic?

1) yes. itll ask you about moving your machine authorization. it's really easy.

2) we are going to start with DoP and a DSD->PCM solution.

3) we are still deciding this.

4) yes. the point of the 10% off was as a "thank you" to people who were willing to commit immediately; we are a startup after all :-) however, I understand the concern of not trusting us before you've ever seen the software. Go ahead and sign up for the trial and if you love it, just contact me and I'll take care of cutting your trial short and giving you the 10%.

5) We have recently reached out to Jussi of HQPlayer and are looking into options here. I hope you can appreciate that I'm not making any promises here, just being open with what we are doing.

6) yup!

Question re sorting in Roon...

Artists: are they sorted First name Last name or Last name, First name? Eg, is Alanis Morrisette followed by James Morrison or by Alma Cogan?

Second are The Beatles sorted with the Ts or the Bs?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Artists: are they sorted First name Last name or Last name, First name? Eg, is Alanis Morrisette followed by James Morrison or by Alma Cogan?

Here is a screenshot with the sorting options in settings.

P.S. Just go for the trial :~)

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 4.01.42 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Here is a screenshot with the sorting options in settings.

P.S. Just go for the trial :~)

I've moved to UPnP streaming currently Chris... Wondering if it's worth sorting out a PC and USB-SPDIF converter.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Beatles under B, and you can choose the firstnamefirst/lastnamefirst sort. We default to firstnamefirst for artists, and lastnamefirst for composers.

The one place I wish we did better was when you have names in foreign languages. I would prefer Серге́й Васи́льевич Рахма́нинов to sort with Latin R. We are working on it. (Btw, if you can't read Russian, that was Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff)

Here is another screenshot showing I have no artists under the word "The"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18552[/ATTACH]

I have one, you guessed it, "The The"

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs