IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Hi Cycleman,

Interesting. I also did several comparison tests with the N10 in my system between FLAC and WAV (unpacked from the same FLAC files!) and I must say WAV does sound slightly more detailed. Of course there are no huge differences, but very worthwhile nonetheless IMO. Will no doubt be system dependent, so your mileage may vary. And yes, I know that FLAC is unpacked in a bit-perfect way and pretty fast too. But apparently the extra processing can still be audible.. Interestingly, I read yesterday that the designer of the Antipodes server has the same experience (see my previous link to the N10 review of Stereophile to easily get there). Apparently the way files are being read from the internal memory is critical to sound quality.

Best regards,

Vincent

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

As an addition and to make things easier, this is the text I was referring to in the Antipodes review by Stereophile:

--- "Jenkins clarified this statement in a recent e-mail:

"Accepted digital theory suggests that regenerating the signal in the DAC should cure all prior interference with the digital signal. But...as with all other areas of audio, it turns out everything matters in computer audio too. One area that appears to matter a lot is what happens in the server's RAM. For example, we find [that] an uncompressed FLAC file sounds a lot better than a compressed FLAC file, and the only thing that is different is that, with the latter, the file has to be decompressed in RAM (becoming identical to the former file) before the next step. Just that little bit of extra activity in RAM is enough to make a significant difference (as we have demonstrated in public blind tests).

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/antipodes-dx-reference-music-server#rgxFlUb3346XFroC.99 ---"

Cheers!

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to be asking this question, but: any news on the Aurender A10? Has anyone seen one 'in the wild', let alone heard one? Has pricing been confirmed?

Availability is scheduled for September (next month), price is $5500, available in black or silver finish, with 4TB of internal storage capacity.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

So, with the X100 I have now, and the new software I have 6TB of internal storage and the ability to access music files on a NAS. The N10 has 4TB of onboard storage and the ability to access a NAS, other than the AES/EBU output, what would I gain from switching?

No electron left behind.

So, with the X100 I have now, and the new software I have 6TB of internal storage and the ability to access music files on a NAS. The N10 has 4TB of onboard storage and the ability to access a NAS, other than the AES/EBU output, what would I gain from switching?

edit: it seems that the N100H with NO spinning drive would be the better solution for music on a NAS.

edit: oops... Ha

No electron left behind.

Switching: funny that you used that word. The N10 has three linear power supplies, compared to the X100L's switching power supply. That difference alone is significant. The caching SSD in the N10 is twice the capacity of that in the X100L, which might be useful for large playlists.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

In addition to the advantages already pointed out by Brian, remember that the N10 is also now available with an 8TB drive for a $500 premium over the 4TB version.

Or how about a 0TB version with just the SSD for music files on a NAS?

I think I might jump at the option to roll my own storage also. I think the market seems to be demanding a more integrated solution. Maybe I am shortsighted but I am putting a lot of confidence in the reliability of one box - don't get me wrong it's a great product.

Yeah I know, I was wishing... Aurender seems to have a lot of overlap in their product line IMO.

Hi AudioDoctor,

I wouldn't say the X100L and the N10 have a lot of overlap, except for their functionality. I had the X100L myself for two years and then I upgraded to the N10. Soundwise the N10 is in a completely different league. You only need to look at the internals of both to see the differences, not only in PS's but also w.r.t. isolation of critical components. On a good set the N10 will simply let you hear things you never heard on the X100L.

Or how about a 0TB version with just the SSD for music files on a NAS?

There is no obligation to store music on the internal drive, although it is there for convenience. Sales of the N100 without hard drive have been low ever since the N100H was introduced with 2TB for only $200 more.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Yeah I know, I was wishing... Aurender seems to have a lot of overlap in their product line IMO.

Granted there are similarities in internal storage capacities between some models, but the differences in performance and features remain.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

There is no obligation to store music on the internal drive, although it is there for convenience. Sales of the N100 without hard drive have been low ever since the N100H was introduced with 2TB for only $200 more.

Spinning HD's are a possible source of mechanical noise and some people prefer not to have them in the listening room. The Aurender HD's may be well isolated but you'll never know for sure until you have one in your room. The best thing I ever did was remove all spinning drives from my listening room and use a NAS tucked away in a closet. If your room has a very low noise floor, the risk of hearing a HD increases.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I also get the impression about Aurender servers with internal drives that people think -- very much in the abstract -- that music played from those internal drives does not sound as good as music played from an Ethernet connected NAS.

But, as I noted, it seems that perspective -- NAS better than internal drive -- is abstract, in that it's not informed by actual experience.

The Aurender -- both the N10 and N100H in my experience -- does a spectacularly great job of isolating the electrical noise of the internal drives from each unit's output. Oh, and as Axiom05 surmises, but not correctly (and not it appears from actually owning an Aurender), the Aurender units totally isolate any mechanical noise of the hard drives and over much time I've not heard a beep or peep or boop.

Dave, the fellow who sold his N100H after owning it for only a month solely because he loved it so much and got the N10 instead which is a clear and beautiful improvement over the lesser cost model

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Spinning HD's are a possible source of mechanical noise and some people prefer not to have them in the listening room. The Aurender HD's may be well isolated but you'll never know for sure until you have one in your room. The best thing I ever did was remove all spinning drives from my listening room and use a NAS tucked away in a closet. If your room has a very low noise floor, the risk of hearing a HD increases.

In your case it could be, but you are using something else. I've never had any comments from customers. And if it bothers you so much you could disconnect the HDD.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

I also get the impression about Aurender servers with internal drives that people think -- very much in the abstract -- that music played from those internal drives does not sound as good as music played from an Ethernet connected NAS.

As memory serves I've heard the opposite.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Do you know that the N100h can now be bought with a 4tb HDD. Or if you have one with a 2tb HDD there is a dealer installable 4tb upgrade pack.

Do you know if the dealers will migrate libraries from the 2 to the 4?

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

I'm not sure. I was advised to back up my library prior to upgrade but I wasn't actually using the onboard 2Tb storage.

Thanks. I just emailed my dealer. I'll post the outcomes of my conversation.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo