IGNORED

The Truth of "Computer Audiophile"

PeterSt

Dennis

I find that reply highly offensive and completely uncalled for.

You are implying that I am a liar. You refuse to accept what I am saying , so ask the man himself. You are the one that repeatedly questions the transparency of the whole procedure.

I have said repeatedly that I only know what transpired from the threads whose links I have posted, and my personal copy of HFC vol.6 No.1, which I had to pay for in order to see the published report..

Alex

How can I call you a liar? You don't know what the details are. If you do come clean, if not say so. If not, quit quoted it as supporting you as you don't know. I have read the threads, and MC does not, and will not answer the question. Answer it or drop it. You either know or you don't.

Quite pointed question, trying to make it easy. Do you know the details of those 6 blind tests?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I have said repeatedly that I only know what transpired from the threads whose links I have posted, and my personal copy of HFC vol.6 No.1, which I had to pay for in order to see the published report..

Alex

Can you confirm that that's the right issue of the magazine? I want to order a copy so I can read the report but I don't see the report in the table of contents on their website. What's the title of the article and the page number? I want to make sure I've got the right issue before I put my 15 quid down.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Do you know the details of those 6 blind tests?

How many times do I have to say what I have said so many times before, and again a few minutes ago?

You keep calling me a liar, by refusing to accept what I keep saying.

.You can go to hell !!!

BTW, the answer is STILL NO.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Can you confirm that that's the right issue of the magazine? I want to order a copy so I can read the report but I don't see the report in the table of contents on their website. What's the title of the article and the page number? I want to make sure I've got the right issue before I put my 15 quid down.

Don't waste your money. It does not have the details you are looking to find.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

How many times do I have to say what I have said so many times before, and again a few minutes ago?

You keep calling me a liar, by refusing to accept what I keep saying.

.You can go to hell !!!

BTW, the answer is STILL NO.

So as supporting an idea of yours you keep pointing to a group of tests you don't even know the details of. And this doesn't strike you as a bit loony? A bit goofy? A bit ridiculous? Okay, okay, it isn't a bit ridiculous, it is simply ridiculous.

You can read the whole article online, which was to me a disappointment, as it appeared to be thrown together in order to meet a publishing deadline. There was far more information in the various HFC thread posts by Martin.

It was also stated that I was from New Zealand instead of New South Wales,Australia.

enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0512/audio_networking.htm Copy of entire article HFC Vol.6 No.1

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

It is particularly interesting to try and understand the means by which the power supply quality for a ripper's drive mechanism can be transmitted as sound quality differences via error-proofed WAV music files. Computer people tell us: "this is not possible" and "we must be imagining it". However, we are merely reporting what we have found. Ripping hardware and programs simply cannot be taken for granted, even if and when the software reports 'zero errors'.

Final statement in the article.

It reminds me of a South Park episode. A town, population of 8000, had been flooded by a broken damn. A reporter is saying millions of people are in peril. When questioned how that could be so, he replied, hey don't ask me to explain it, that is just what we are reporting.

It is particularly interesting to try and understand the means by which the power supply quality for a ripper's drive mechanism can be transmitted as sound quality differences via error-proofed WAV music files. Computer people tell us: "this is not possible" and "we must be imagining it". However, we are merely reporting what we have found. Ripping hardware and programs simply cannot be taken for granted, even if and when the software reports 'zero errors'.

Final statement in the article.

It reminds me of a South Park episode. A town, population of 8000, had been flooded by a broken damn. A reporter is saying millions of people are in peril. When questioned how that could be so, he replied, hey don't ask me to explain it, that is just what we are reporting.

Dennis, the article did more than just report the findings they endorsed the findings. With respect, have your findings been reported and or endorsed in any kind of journal?

You dont have to believe the DBT tests are proof scientific. We both know you or anyone else can prove or disprove the quality measures of the test. Maybe lighten up on your crusade.

Anti-Audiophile-Crusaders.jpg

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Dennis, the article did more than just report the findings they endorsed the findings. With respect, have your findings been reported and or endorsed in any kind of journal?

You dont have to believe the DBT tests are proof scientific. We both know you or anyone else can prove or disprove the quality measures of the test. Maybe lighten up on your crusade.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16948[/ATTACH]

Sorry, it is akin to reporting millions may die in a town with a population of 8000. Endorsements or no, that makes no sense.

As for your mention of DBT's, we don't know if they were DBT's or SBT's or much of anything about them. You are making assumptions based upon reputation. My crusade is for simple truth and transparency. If someone touts some tests as important supporting a claim they make one would expect them to know what the tests were. Courtesy or no, anything less is ridiculous and should be embarrassing.

Or perhaps you could explain to me how reporting millions at risk in a population of 8000 is an okay thing. Come on I know you have it in you.

We both know you or anyone else can prove or disprove the quality measures of the test. Maybe lighten up on your crusade.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16948[/ATTACH]

At least those Avant Garde's cost more than 1500.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Sorry, it is akin to reporting millions may die in a town with a population of 8000.

Or perhaps you could explain to me how reporting millions at risk in a population of 8000 is an okay thing. Come on I know you have it in you.

Dennis this is your idea.I cant explain it.

Just suggesting lighten up on Alex,lighten up on the crusade,lighten up. Have a laugh at the pic i posted. Are u becoming a bit too obsessed with all of this...whether or not others might be....

Sound Minds Mind Sound

...Seriously who really cares? Sorry but that is the reality. Just be happy with a setup. :)

I wonder that myself. The back and forth between subjectivists and objectivists will not change how anyone's music sounds to them on their audio system, in their room. Why must anyone try to make someone believe something they don't believe? Why can't they except we are all different people?

I'm sorry but what I don’t understand is why Dennis (esldude) needs to be convinced of anything and why Alex (sandyk) feels he must convince him. In my humble opinion music is to be listened to and more importantly enjoyed!! Am I missing something?

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I wonder that myself. The back and forth between subjectivists and objectivists will not change how anyone's music sounds to them on their audio system, in their room. Why must anyone try to make someone believe something they don't believe? Why can't they except we are all different people?

I'm sorry but what I don’t understand is why Dennis (esldude) needs to be convinced of anything and why Alex (sandyk) feels he must convince him. In my humble opinion music is to be listened to and more importantly enjoyed!! Am I missing something?

Hi Teresa,

You are not missing anything and more off topic this ever recurring subject can't be. That counts for this thread and all others I saw. Except for one, and I recall that this died out soon (or maybe I stopped following it).

It also is not much related to being objective and subjective for this thread. Maybe if Dennis had a $1500 system and he tried. But both I don't regard true.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Another response could be, as how I personally see it, that there is no value in such minuscule changes (if at all). Not that I want to talk people into that it will be "worthless" but for myself I'd emphasize that a 1000 other "tweaks" or how we want to call them, imply a 100 times bigger change.

XXHighEnd (developer)

Hi Teresa,

You are not missing anything and more off topic this ever recurring subject can't be. That counts for this thread and all others I saw. Except for one, and I recall that this died out soon (or maybe I stopped following it).

It also is not much related to being objective and subjective for this thread. Maybe if Dennis had a $1500 system and he tried. But both I don't regard true.

Peter

Yeah, maybe if I had a $1500 system it would be apparent. Alas, I don't have a $1500 system to listen to. I have tried though. I really have tried. Just my lousy system, what other explanation is there? Or my lousy ears.

I'm sorry but what I don’t understand is why Dennis (esldude) needs to be convinced of anything and why Alex (sandyk) feels he must convince him.

Hi Teresa

You may not remember due to that life threatening disease you are now fighting ,(and I may add, judging by posts in C.A. the old Teresa is very much still there.)

but along with Roch you did a few series of comparison .wav file tests with me some time back.

They included 16/44.1 which with the better version it annoyed you a little less than 16/44.1 normally does , and a couple of tracks from Claire Martin in 24/96 IIRC.

You did of course correctly identify which tracks were which, despite them having identical check sums..

Kind Regards

Alex

Can we please cut out this stuff now ? I rather let the thread die slowly than have it end up at 1000 posts of this again.

XXHighEnd (developer)

Another response could be, as how I personally see it, that there is no value in such minuscule changes (if at all). Not that I want to talk people into that it will be "worthless" but for myself I'd emphasize that a 1000 other "tweaks" or how we want to call them, imply a 100 times bigger change.

Unfortunately, not everybody can afford a Phasure NOS1A DAC, or uses XXHE, which must of course sound the same as other Bit Perfect S/W players ?

I thought your dac was immune to these changes, are you trying to deny those with inferior dacs the pleasure of better sound ?

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Peter, would a system using headphones rather than speakers qualify? What about in-ear-monitors (IEMs)?

Regarding DACs - DIY?

Let's say you already own an adequate computer.

So, a system using Miska's DSC1 as the DAC, HQPlayer as the software, and in ear monitors: In $US, the DSC1 materials cost is I believe between $300 and $400. I forget what HQPlayer costs, but for the sake of round numbers let's say $200 and $400 for the DSC1. Very good IEMs, let's say $500. So now we're at $1100. We probably can't get a really fine off the shelf headphone amp for the remaining $400 (DIY? How much would a gainclone for phones be?). So whatever the cost of the amp, plus cables.

But it all depends on whether you think a system using IEMs rather than speakers can be "audiophile."

I like my Westone W40 IEMs but I'm just not willing to spend any more on in-ears. We all have different priorities but I know I wouldn't be able to get a marked improvement over my MBP-Hugo-HD800 combination without spending considerably more money than I've already thrown at this hobby : if that doesnt meet other folks' criteria for membership of the 'audiophile club' - computer or otherwise - fine with me. I'd like to think I havent spent money on toys just to be one of the cool kids.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

Unfortunately, not everybody can afford a Phasure NOS1A DAC, or uses XXHE, which must of course sound the same as other Bit Perfect S/W players ?

Alex, this is not in the league of "tweaks" as such. So of course I was not referring to this. The tweaks I refer to (or would like to refer to) are for everybody. So just to stick to the last one of my own ...

Didn't I "announce" the USB cable I was working on, in this thread ? So that now works out. And the difference is a complete night and day.

Of course not for those who don't believe in such stuff because they don't hear a change in anything anywhere anyway ... but let them spend more than the $1500 this thread is about, first.

XXHighEnd (developer)

Didn't I "announce" the USB cable I was working on, in this thread ? So that now works out. And the difference is a complete night and day.

Peter

IF you address USB problems due to earth loops, and replace crappy internal +5V SMPS derived USB power with something much cleaner, the changes due to USB cable topography should be very much smaller. I have been doing that from well before devices such as iFi USB, SOtM USB cards and Paul Pang cards became available, and posting about the improvements in this forum and another forum.

Alex

Dennis,

Can you carefully read this: https://www.univie.ac.at/nuhag-php/janssen/data/p119.pdf

IF you address USB problems due to earth loops, and replace crappy internal +5V SMPS derived USB power with something much cleaner, the changes due to USB cable topography should be very much smaller. I have been doing that from well before devices such as iFi USB, SOtM USB cards and Paul Pang cards became available, and posting about the improvements in this forum and another forum.

Yes, I was actually referring to that. And as usual I only mention only my latest "big impact" which is as usual only from "yesterday". I you're following me a little, you know this is true.

So as a matter of fact, most changes occur in that stupid interface hence how to attack that. And usually they are quite devastating. I think you will agree.

So be in a helicopter and see how the one change eliminates (or may do that) the need for the other, or better : how to get down to the real cause. Again quite some years required to cover for it all and then to think that we are doing that with all of us together.

But it is also about the "and what should have priority" hence what may have the biggest impact. This was what my message was about.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)