IGNORED

Audirvana + 2.0

juliocat

SQ wise, there are opposite comments and myself am confused (and tired ): I was first impressed by the bass impact on a redbook file (Trio of Doom ; funny isn't it ?) and preferred 2 over 1.5.10 (still preferred Amarra though for I could follow Tony Williams's sticks travelling the drums : more precise and real though less impressive), then I turned to DSD and was very, very disappointed : 2 is much less transparent

Then, maybe you belong to the Amarra Minority thread...!

Roch

Ever tried to enable the "switch latency" in the prefs (Prefs->Audi System->DACs connceted through USB-S/PDIF)?

My DAC features a reed relais to switch sample rates and while it changes sample rates without issues it takes some time to switch the sample rate (1-2 seconds) and this is why I lose the beginning of the songs when the sample rates switch. Enabling the "switch latency" solves the problem (I've set it to 3 seconds, though 2 seconds would also do) ... and software and DAC get some time to lock correctly.

Just a thought ...

As I think about this the more I am hopeful that this will be the answer. I observed other "latency" issues performing other processes with A+ 2.0, where the "beachball" would appear and spin awhile before the process would complete. Much more so than 1.5.x, where I'd almost never see the dread beachball. Kind of disconcerting with 2.0, since I don't run anything in the background and try to keep a lean, music-play oriented system without other programs running.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

I'm hoping someone can help me out and give me the default Audio Filters settings for A+2. A few months back I was playing around with filter values and now Id like to go back but can't remember what they were. Here's what I presently have set: Steepness - 6, Filter Max. Length - 2,000,000, Cutoff - 1,10, Anti-aliasing - 200.0, Pre-ringing - 0.00. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm hoping someone can help me out and give me the default Audio Filters settings for A+2. A few months back I was playing around with filter values and now Id like to go back but can't remember what they were. Here's what I presently have set: Steepness - 6, Filter Max. Length - 2,000,000, Cutoff - 1,10, Anti-aliasing - 200.0, Pre-ringing - 0.00. Thanks in advance for any help.

Steepness: 150

Filter max length: 500,000

Cutoff freq: 1.00

Anti-aliasing: 200,0

Pre-ringing: 1.0

Move the Quality Slider to best or back and for and you will see that revert to the defaults values as above

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

In reply to Thread #140 :

For loading your m3u playlists, you can do it with an additional step: though iTunes:

1) Import your m3u playlists in iTunes

2) Sync A+2 with iTunes

3) [Optional]Make a copy of your playlists in A+ to preserve them from any deletion when removing the iTunes sync, by a) creating a new playlist b) select all the playlist-to-copy tracks (Cmd A shortcut) and drag and drop them on to the new playlist.

Merci beaucoup Damien, Very Helpfull..!

I had never lost time (once I found how inferior it is) listening to A+/itunes combo, 2 forces us to listen to a player/db management tool combo ; I strongly wish that DP will assure that a 1.5.10 type Audirvana (no database management, ability to listen to tracks loaded in a Ram disk from a non proxied source) will remain compatible with Yosemite and beyond.

I can not really give you equal, I am the one, and not the only, who is looking to step aside iTunes database. And A+2 is the first answer I get to do this on a audiophile base. Although its just a first version, its an immens step forward in achieving my goals.

Imagine, look at the near future... Damien will present us an audiophile player, who has possibilities in creating a very large and well controlled database with a lot of additional information to fill in for every record, and remote controlled from your Apple tablet...

This will be something other players in the field, don't have!

I had never lost time (once I found how inferior it is) listening to A+/itunes combo, 2 forces us to listen to a player/db management tool combo ; I strongly wish that DP will assure that a 1.5.10 type Audirvana (no database management, ability to listen to tracks loaded in a Ram disk from a non proxied source) will remain compatible with Yosemite and beyond.
Fully agree. I do not need library management attached to audiophile player. I listening albums and see no trouble to add any particular album to player window and will not suffer if cover pictures will not be displayed while I am listening to the music. The quality of sound is my primary if not only concern. In this particular upgrade situation I see no reason to purchase the feature I do not need if the SQ is the same or degraded. Sonic Studio is selling new features, as iRC or sQ separately. I would prefer updates of A+ with data management option or unit one my buy or not buy additionally.
Does anyone know how to set Sync to AUTO?

Music in folders specified in the large top field in Prefs > Library are sync'd automatically and almost instantaneously. (Using the same OS X function that Time Machine uses to detect changes to be included in the next backup.)

If you specified your iTunes library in the field below, iTunes Sync is supposed to be triggered automatically whenever you edit a track within A+ and click the Save button in the Inspector pane. Sync in the reverse direction, when you edit a track within iTunes, must be done manually by clicking the Sync button. In the latter situation, I find I often must do it twice: wait for the first sync to finish, then repeat.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Music in folders specified in the large top field in Prefs > Library are sync'd automatically and almost instantaneously. (Using the same OS X function that Time Machine uses to detect changes to be included in the next backup.)

In the large top field I see next to the folder which has to be synced 'Manual' and 'Sync'. I have to mouse-click 'Sync' to start the syncing. It does not go automatically. Besides this, when syncing after adding some tracks, syncing goes very slow as if all has to be synced again (i.e. several hours for 100 tracks).

I'm not using iTunes.

Fully agree. I do not need library management attached to audiophile player. I listening albums and see no trouble to add any particular album to player window and will not suffer if cover pictures will not be displayed while I am listening to the music. The quality of sound is my primary if not only concern. In this particular upgrade situation I see no reason to purchase the feature I do not need if the SQ is the same or degraded. Sonic Studio is selling new features, as iRC or sQ separately. I would prefer updates of A+ with data management option or unit one my buy or not buy additionally.

I must admit I'm getting a bit annoyed...While, of course, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, I don't seem to understand people criticising the direction A+ V2.0 is heading in. So you don't like/need the new features, well - don't buy it! These features are not randomly chosen, they are actually suggested by users, some of them knowledgeable enough. Let's keep the threads for A+ V2.0 free of counterproductive stuff and try to help DP improve on the existing base, shall we?

In the large top field I see next to the folder which has to be synced 'Manual' and 'Sync'. I have to mouse-click 'Sync' to start the syncing. It does not go automatically.

Page 5 of the user guide says sync is automatic only if your music folders are on local volumes (internal or external), not network volumes. (I previously didn't think of this because my music HDD is local via USB.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Page 5 of the user guide says sync is automatic only if your music folders are on local volumes (internal or external), not network volumes. (I previously didn't think of this because my music HDD is local via USB.)

Thanks for telling me. I didn't notice that. My music is on a network volume.

I think that my saying that 2 is less transparent than 15.10 as of DSD pertains to the A+ 2 thread.

I'm not sure how on topic or useful discussions of SQ are before Damien provides builds where he says he is implementing ideas to optimize SQ. He hasn't worked explicitly on SQ for 2.0 as far as I know.

And I don't think we're a minority to prefer Amarra for PCM.

Certainly an allowable sentiment and as you point out, one shared by others, but again I am not sure how on topic or useful for this thread at this time.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My feeling is that A+2 is flawed from the drawing board, flawed by design. What fuels my commitment is clearly to keep alive the best to my ears (haven't tried HQP in a 2 computers configuration) DSD player.

I insist : I want a future with a A+ version unmarred by database management features

What I really need is A+, when it adds to iTunes to point to the actual file when I do a right click, not to the proxied one : imagine managing from iTunes, choosing your album or track, right click to reveal in Finder, drag & drop in a Ram disk.... that's what I need ; anybody knows of a solution ?

I'm not sure how on topic or useful discussions of SQ are before Damien provides builds where he says he is implementing ideas to optimize SQ. He hasn't worked explicitly on SQ for 2.0 as far as I know.

Certainly an allowable sentiment and as you point out, one shared by others, but again I am not sure how on topic or useful for this thread at this time.

is this an anathema ? an excommunication ? I think that my saying that 2 is less transparent than 15.10 as of DSD pertains to the A+ 2 thread. And I don't think we're a minority to prefer Amarra for PCM.

"Buy French" this is the actual leitmotiv in France ¨-).

My feeling is that A+2 is flawed from the drawing board, flawed by design. What fuels my commitment is clearly to keep alive the best to my ears (haven't tried HQP in a 2 computers configuration) DSD player.

I insist : I want a future with a A+ version unmarred by database management features

I suppose we will see in the days to come whether any player with database management features must inevitably have bad SQ. (I am not sure what your definition of database management is; HQPlayer provides track lists, etc., without using iTunes for this.)

I am not smart enough to know the answer before having a chance to listen to SQ-optimized versions of 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Open A+2 Go to Audirvana Preferences/Library You will see a list of folders (in the window below "Select the folders to add to the library") select the folder you want to remove and click the "-" just below (beside the "+") depending on the size of the folder it may take a while.. you will see the progress in the bar under the logo Audirvana.. top right

Thanks, that did the trick. And thanks for warning me that it could take awhile to complete. In my case, I had a spinning beach ball, but just left it to do it's thing and it eventually completed the task.