IGNORED

Audirvana + 2.0

juliocat

Installed last night on an optimized mac mini boot from SD card.

Could not get the app to load with the CAD audio optimization script running. ran the deinstall script for that. loaded A2+ with exact settings from 1.5.10 (it gathered them automatically).

Importing my 1.2tb library took about 2 hours. started playing right away while loading in the background which was great.

Some albums did have the song files out of order. Many of my albums artwork are not appearing - where is it pulling them from?

Many albums don't have album artist field - is this affecting the artwork?

I think the artwork must be in the album folder to be shown, but I could be wrong about this. Lack of an album artist does not affect this.

Artwork can be dropped onto the album or metadata view from any web page, though since this is a one-by-one solution it is probably not practical for large music collections.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Another little fix I'd like to see:

When you sort by Artist in List View, let the user decide whether or not to ignore "The" in the artist name.

I mean, I expect to see The Beatles and The Band and The Byrds and The Beach Boys -- to name four old-but-still-bringing-pleasure groups -- all the way up the list in the "B" range and not all the way down in the "T" range.

Would you expect, or like, the same?

Dave, who thinks of the settings for Logitech Media Server which allows such "ignore" settings

Not saying such a switch shouldn't be in A+, but thought I'd ask a question about another way of doing it: Is there a metadata editor that can search for and delete, e.g., all initial "The"s from artist/album artist names?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Many folks here are reporting A+ 2.0 issues ranging from seriously messed up metadata, missing files, sorting problems, SQ not up to par with 1.x.x versions, and still the lack of dedicated remote app.

I use iTunes v10.7 on my iMac running OSX 10.6.8 to import, tag, attach album art, sort, and organize my music files alphabetically by album artist/album title. I fix the rare metadata glitch with Audacity, then re-import it.

I then transfer the music folders to the external HDD feeding my dedicated MBP running OSX 10.9.1 and C.A.D. OSX optimization scripts for playback with A+ v1.5.10 in playlist mode. I simply drop and drag the files from the Finder into the A+ playlist window. I have over 18K songs on 1,300 albums. All has always worked flawlessly.

I applaud Damien for his diligent efforts on the upgrade, but I never thought it was broke, so no need for me to fix it. YMMV.

Not saying such a switch shouldn't be in A+, but thought I'd ask a question about another way of doing it: Is there a metadata editor that can search for and delete, e.g., all initial "The"s from artist/album artist names?

Sure there's such an editor, especially within iTunes (another Doug script).

But sorry, I might think of "The Beatles" as just plain "Beatles" -- but "The Band" ain't just "Band" for example.

Good software adapts itself to human needs.

And the correct names of things is part of this human's needs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

when doing it you need to go manually to Save button every time - is there any keystroke to hit and save the metadata?

Command-S. However, I usually must press Enter (function-Return) to make the Save button appear, then press command-S.

I am running Mac OSX 10.7.5 with 8GB RAM (late 2008 Macbook) and editing metadata seems to be sometimes very slow where A+ is not responding time to time for few seconds.

A comment not related to Audirvana: It is my impression that OS X 10.7 had several problems that were fixed in 10.8. I share your reluctance to move to 10.9, but why not 10.8?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Setting up A+ 2.0 on a dedicated system test area (no previous A+) with test data seems the best way to deploy at this stage. Has potential, but is just too twitchy and can potentially alter data.

I haven't done any metadata tagging of my library yet, so this will be a useful tool to build up (with secondary data) running ALONG SIDE my audio library, NOT replacing it. I'm also happy with my 1.5.10 setup as is and do not want that experience altered.

I applaud Damien for all his hard work! This was a necessary step forward and I am SURE that it will get better over time with all of our help. Kudos. :)

2011 Mac Mini (16GB RAM) --> Audirvana Plus --> M2Tech HiFace2 --> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --> B&K Reference 31 --> B&K 2140 (2-channel) + B&K 3140 (3-channel) --> Energy RC-30 Reference Connoisseur (Mains) + Energy RC-10 (Surrounds)

Most of you haven't stated whether you imported music into A+ 2.0 using "Select the folders to add to the library", "iTunes library synchronization", or both.

If you don't need to sync Ratings with your iTunes library, I suggest not using "iTunes library synchronization" at all because iTunes communication of metadata changes is flaky. You can disable iTunes sync by pressing the Delete button to the right of this legend. I believe Ratings is the only tag that requires iTunes sync. Audirvana reads the other tags from the music files themselves, not from the iTunes library.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Most of you haven't stated whether you imported music into A+ 2.0 using "Select the folders to add to the library", "iTunes library synchronization", or both.

If you don't need to sync Ratings with your iTunes library, I suggest not using "iTunes library synchronization" at all because iTunes communication of metadata changes is flaky. You can disable iTunes sync by pressing the Delete button to the right of this legend. I believe Ratings is the only tag that requires iTunes sync. Audirvana reads the other tags from the music files themselves, not from the iTunes library.

Would Compilation (on or off) be an iTunes only tag too?

Music is love, made audible.

Sure there's such an editor, especially within iTunes (another Doug script).

But sorry, I might think of "The Beatles" as just plain "Beatles" -- but "The Band" ain't just "Band" for example.

Good software adapts itself to human needs.

And the correct names of things is part of this human's needs.

Right. Barring mind reading, one can either want an "ignore" switch that can be set in the software, or edit metadata that will allow not only this software but all software to index your music as you wish (e.g., delete "The" from Beatles albums, or delete "The" everywhere and add it back to The Band). Just asking whether there was software to do the latter, and you kindly answered yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A comment not related to Audirvana: It is my impression that OS X 10.7 had several problems that were fixed in 10.8. I share your reluctance to move to 10.9, but why not 10.8?

Why reluctant, on the eve of 10.10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of comments... Thanks for all the feedbacks!

Some few answers:

For the latency when saving metadata, where are located your audio files, and what is the connection speed to them?

When saving metadata, A+ first saves it to the audio files, and if this save is successful it updates its database.

On the sorting albums by artist, I'll add that. But note that for albums that have tracks with different artists, the resulting sort order may be unpredictable as only one artist (so of a track inside the album) will be picked for sorting the whole album. Artist is a track tag, not an album tag.

This will be clean when using the album grouping option with artist sort: such different artists albums will be split in chunks of tracks with the same artist.

For the missing metadata compared with iTunes, note that the folder sync reads metadata that is inside the audio files, not the one that could have been in an iTunes proxy for example, or an album cover in iTunes own database that iTunes had not saved to the audio file. For these cases (e.g. proxies), you can first set a folders sync as this is the most reliable for future syncs, and then immediately after launch an iTunes sync to get back the iTunes only metadata (be sure that iTunes is not running to have its library xml file up to date when doing the sync).

10.7 has also issues in CoreData, so definitely skipping to at least 10.8 is recommended.

On the SQ, as you know I've concentrated my efforts for 2.0 on the library. I have in mind some ideas for it... Some may find their way before the iOS remote app, some after.

And, FYI, during a folders sync, the music folders are only read. Writing operation happens only when saving metadata.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Have been doing SQ comparison over the last day between Audirvana (1.15.10, 1.5.12 and 2.0) and Amarra 3.0. I described it more thoroughly on the 1.5.12 thread, but all I'll state here briefly for those most interested in SQ foremost is that Amarra 3.0 is still the best sounding of the bunch in every aspect.

Power: Torus (main) + Teradak (network)

Source: Bryston BDP-1 w/ Roon

DAC: Dangerous Source (Teradak 12V13A) + Emotiva DC-1

Amp: Amphion Amp100 + Marantz PM6004

Speakers: Amphion One15 + Mackie HR 824 Mk1

Headphones: Audeze LCD-2C + Denon AH-D2000 + HD 598 + KRK KNS 8400

Some of my albums are shown as several identical-looking ones (i.e. with the same album art) in album view, with the album tracks divided (seemingly randomly) between them.

I have found an, albeit clumsy, solution for this: Cut the album title from all the split album-parts but one and save the changes. Find the album tracks (use list view) again, paste the album title back and save the changes. After this operation the album will show up as a single album in albums view.

However I have found another problem with albums view: Some albums have the track order shuffled, as shown in the album window that pops up when clicking an album thumbnail. This afternoon I tried adding a FLAC-album to A+2 by putting it in a synced folder and letting A+2 auto-sync it to the library. After doing some editing of the album's meta-data and the finding the album in album view I got the following track order: 4, 7, 10, 12, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9. Unfortunately this is also the order in which the tracks are played after double-clicking the album. It seems this problem can be remedied by deleting the track numbers and entering them again, but thats a clumsy and tedious solution.

Yet another peculiarity I've noticed using albums view is that when using the three-finger gesture on my Apple Magic Track Pad to adjust the sizing slider or the album window size the thumbnails start scrolling down by themselves until one clicks in the thumbnails window or the scrolling operation reaches the last album.

My conclusion is that it's best to leave albums view be, for the time being. Since the searching and filtering possibilities are, for some reason, highly restricted in this view and filtering results from list view aren't retained when switching to albums view, albums view isn't very useful anyway. It makes my music collection look much more inviting than the endless rows of text in list view does, though.

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

I have found an, albeit clumsy, solution for this: Cut the album title from all the split album-parts but one and save the changes. Find the album tracks (use list view) again, paste the album title back and save the changes. After this operation the album will show up as a single album in albums view.

However I have found another problem with albums view: Some albums have the track order shuffled, as shown in the album window that pops up when clicking an album thumbnail. This afternoon I tried adding a FLAC-album to A+2 by putting it in a synced folder and letting A+2 auto-sync it to the library. After doing some editing of the album's meta-data and the finding the album in album view I got the following track order: 4, 7, 10, 12, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9. Unfortunately this is also the order in which the tracks are played after double-clicking the album. It seems this problem can be remedied by deleting the track numbers and entering them again, but thats a clumsy and tedious solution.

Yet another peculiarity I've noticed using albums view is that when using the three-finger gesture on my Apple Magic Track Pad to adjust the sizing slider or the album window size the thumbnails start scrolling down by themselves until one clicks in the thumbnails window or the scrolling operation reaches the last album.

My conclusion is that it's best to leave albums view be, for the time being. Since the searching and filtering possibilities are, for some reason, highly restricted in this view and filtering results from list view aren't retained when switching to albums view, albums view isn't very useful anyway. It makes my music collection look much more inviting than the endless rows of text in list view does, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of your issues with the album mode could be explained by missing or wrong metadata one way or another. It works perfectly well on my machine and is my preferred way of using A+. Not saying you did anything wrong but just encouraging you to not giving up just yet.

- assigning my music file drive (only containing FLAC files) through the sync tool in A+ 2.0's prefs the software only loads some few folders and the files showing up in the player window do not show any meta data (no track numbers, no arist/album artist, no album, no album artwork... nothing except of the actual file name)

- assigning a single folder through the sync tool in A+ 2.0's prefs doesn't work either

- all of the above is also true when I try to load files from the local main drive

Playing around with A+ 2.0 a bit more I’ve discovered the software does display MP3 files correctly (all tagged with the very same software I also use to tag my FLAC files: „Yate“).

So I’ve tested different file formats and indeed there is an issue with FLAC files … obviously depending on the software used to create the respective FLAC files.

I do create my FLAC files with Steinberg’s Wavelab 8.5 on Mac (and afterwards tag them with said „Yate“ software). As mentioned above A+ 2.0 does not read any metadata.

The actual FLAC files re-converted through another software may - or may not - work fine (for instance FLACs converted through „Max“ work fine, although „Max“ strips some metadata). Converted through AuI ConverteR 48x44 doesn’t work (same as Wavelab). Converted through MediaHuman Audio Converter or through iFFmpeg works fine (but album art gets stripped). When I re-tag the respective files with „Yate“ everything looks fine.

So I assume the issue is NOT related to metadata tags but to file properties of FLAC files depending on the software used to create the FLAC files. But again: Audirvana Plus 1.5x does not show these issues (metadata as well album art gets displayed correctly).

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | NAD C 316BEE | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

Oddly enough, my 2010 Mini running Audirvana and OS X 10.9.4 had an update for iTunes 11.4.

My late 2013 iMac i7 also running 10.9.4 has no update available.

My 2012 MacBook running 10.10 Yosemite has iTunes 12.

Anyhow, 11.4 seems to be OK with Audirvana 2.0 on my Mini.

From Radiohead to Little Feat and Bach

For jazz, classical, country and rock

I thank the Pioneer, the Mac and the Holy Peachtree

For keeping the volume higher than me

If you don't use Album Artist, how do you get proper sorting in any other software? Both iTunes and JRiver, for example, use it extensively, and will show multiple album icons in album view if it's not populated or has different values.

I've always used it - besides album name, genre, and track number, it's the only "required" field in my library ;)

I've never had any issue whatsoever in sorting in either iTunes or JRiver when not using Album Artist. It's been so long ago that I cannot remember exactly why I chose that way but I think I was having some sorting problems and may not have understood the use of Album Artist versus Artist. I have appended "featured" artists names to song titles they perform on.

As I said my concern in changing now would be creating a 1TB new backup by changing every album to use Album Artist and as I've said what I do works. My question is if that is so standard when I am ripping with XLD why is only Artist and not Album Artist metadata automatically populated. Is it different for your ripping?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I've never had any issue whatsoever in sorting in either iTunes or JRiver when not using Album Artist. It's been so long ago that I cannot remember exactly why I chose that way but I think I was having some sorting problems and may not have understood the use of Album Artist versus Artist. I have appended "featured" artists names to song titles they perform on.

As I said my concern in changing now would be creating a 1TB new backup by changing every album to use Album Artist and as I've said what I do works. My question is if that is so standard when I am ripping with XLD why is only Artist and not Album Artist metadata automatically populated. Is it different for your ripping?

I tag my own music, rarely accept unchanged what I'm given. I've been very consistent over the years, so all 70k+ tracks in my library are pretty well tagged. "Album artist" is the only way to get albums to stick together if each track has a different artist tag - as is often the case in classical music.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system