IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

we were comparing the Aries used as RoonReady device vs. standalone (using Lightning DS), I believe

or, at least, that's what I was comparing :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

hmm, nice components. I don't want to lead the witness but when you say " To me, the Aries is lacking a degree of transparency and subtlety and replaces that with a bit of bloated bass." are you comparing it unfavorably to the mRendu? If not whats your better reference?

Context is so important in audio, thanks for sharing the components used as reference.

No problem davide. My benchmark is the MBL CD transport which is an excellent transport. So I a/b each streamer with that initially, playing the same music so that you can easily a/b by just switching inputs using the Dave remote. The Melco and mRendu are pretty much indistinguishable from the MBL, which is how it should be if each are doing their job accurately and cleanly. Any difference can only be down to either jitter or noise/distortion. The Dave is fairly immune to jitter, so that leaves noise. That must be why the Sbooster plus the W4S get the Aries closer.

I recently got the mRendu for my headphone setup. I was very impressed with it, so I tried it in my main system with the results that I mentioned earlier. So mRendu is now in my main system and the Aries is in my headphone setup, and sounds very good.

I have another Aries fed into my Naim Mu-so in the dining room and that sounds good and I actually prefer it than going straight into the Mu-so.

I am thinking that the difference in my main system is because the Dave DAC is so good, it permits differences to be observed more easily.

we were comparing the Aries used as RoonReady device vs. standalone (using Lightning DS), I believe

or, at least, that's what I was comparing :P

Ok, but there is no benchmark in that. You are just saying that you prefer X to Y whereas someone else could say that they prefer Y to X - so then, who is right? In order to make a valid comparison, you have to compare against a benchmark. Otherwise, you are just stating a preference.

I compared a ripped file to the original CD in an a/b test, so I had a benchmark. If the streamer is doing it's job, all other things being equal, they should both sound pretty much the same shouldn't they?

Introducing Memory Cache. Memory Cache feature will pre-load track into device memory (not SSD!) to achieve better sound quality, it also helps to improve streaming stability. Memory Cache size for ARIES/ARIES LE: 512MB; ARIES MINI: 64MB. Tracks with size bigger than the memory cache will be buffered by several segments automatically. Memory Cache function does not work under Internet Radio, AirPlay, Songcast, Bluetooth and Roon input method because of the data is streamed in real time from host device.

Extracted from Firmware Version 4.0.0 Build 20160911 – AURALIC LIMITED

So it works with Tidal and Thumb drive???

... Any difference can only be down to either jitter or noise/distortion. The Dave is fairly immune to jitter, so that leaves noise. That must be why the Sbooster plus the W4S get the Aries closer.

Agree, the Aries was an excellent product for 2015 but the microRendu as a 2016 product had more focus on reducing contribution of the motherboard to noise that interferes with low level signal clarity. I'm finding that while DAC's matter most aren't heard at their full potential because of noise in renderer solution feeding them. And that the differences in technology to read data off a disc/drive matters in correctly establishing clocking for an audio stream.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Agree, the Aries was an excellent product for 2015 but the microRendu as a 2016 product had more focus on reducing contribution of the motherboard to noise that interferes with low level signal clarity. I'm finding that while DAC's matter most aren't heard at their full potential because of noise in renderer solution feeding them. And that the differences in technology to read data off a disc/drive matters in correctly establishing clocking for an audio stream.

I plan on connecting a microRendu to an current Apple Express ( no way in the room to connect directly to the router ) .

Will that create noise that I want to avoid ?

The Aries takes the computer out of the signal chain and replaces it entirely with a minimalist, purpose built device that does a great job at handling, streaming, playing digital music files. The fact that it is being continuously improved is also a big plus.

I did all I could to squeeze the best out of the mRendu. The Aries, IMO, does as well or better with a lot less hassle.

The Aries takes the computer out of the signal chain and replaces it entirely with a minimalist, purpose built device that does a great job at handling, streaming, playing digital music files. The fact that it is being continuously improved is also a big plus.

I did all I could to squeeze the best out of the mRendu. The Aries, IMO, does as well or better with a lot less hassle.

Actually one can say exactly the same about the microRendu

'The {insert renderer of preference} takes the computer out of the signal chain and replaces it entirely with a minimalist, purpose built device that does a great job at handling, streaming, playing digital music files.'

What the Aries excels at is its proprietary app, Lightning Server. Whereas with the mRendu you use 3rd party apps like Minimserver for media server, Kinsky or Lumin for controller.

I suspect the hassle you refer to isn't the microRendu itself but rather the complexity of add on PC based solutions like HQPlayer. Personally I'd rather cut up and chow down a parametric equalizer than fiddle with the poor GUI of HQPlayer. But this site is a computer audiophile site, so there are those who want to get into push-pop stacks vs just push a button.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Actually one can say exactly the same about the microRendu

'The {insert renderer of preference} takes the computer out of the signal chain and replaces it entirely with a minimalist, purpose built device that does a great job at handling, streaming, playing digital music files.'

What the Aries excels at is its proprietary app, Lightning Server. Whereas with the mRendu you use 3rd party apps like Minimserver for media server, Kinsky or Lumin for controller.

I suspect the hassle you refer to isn't the microRendu itself but rather the complexity of add on PC based solutions like HQPlayer. Personally I'd rather cut up and chow down a parametric equalizer than fiddle with the poor GUI of HQPlayer. But this site is a computer audiophile site, so there are those who want to get into push-pop stacks vs just push a button.

.... except with the mRendu one still needs to use a computer. IMO "computer audio" is best done w/o a computer.

But think you're correct in that many/most folks here may get as much or more out of "dicking with" computers than listening to music.

.... except with the mRendu one still needs to use a computer. IMO "computer audio" is best done w/o a computer.

But think you're correct in that many/most folks here may get as much or more out of "dicking with" computers than listening to music.

I already had my NAS serving up music to my Aries via both MinimServer and Roon. I was able to just swap the microRendu in and have it running within 10 minutes. That's the least effort I ever applied to getting a music server up and running.

When I decided to try Roon/HQPlayer integration, it took me no more than 10 minutes of "dicking with it" to get that going.

I haven't had to "dick with" anything for months. This platform "just works".

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I hate 'dicking' about and have been doing too much of that recently, but am happy that I have now got my system where I want it. It sounds great and is easy to use and I can just lock it down and consider it finished.

until something else comes along....... ;)

I'm finding that while DAC's matter most aren't heard at their full potential because of noise in renderer solution feeding them.

I agree with this. I didn't think I had any noise issues, but once I had properly addressed the power supply side of my system, the differences in sound between different front end components and cables became much less pronounced than they had previously been. Everything got much closer together. That's why I think that if the power is clean and IF the front end delivery device is doing its job properly, then they should all sound very similar.

Once you have everything else sorted, then with good quality components, the 'bits is bits' argument seems more valid.

iPad controller to Synology NAS fileserver to microRendu MPD/DLNA renderer... no PC in that chain. Agree on the mucking around with PC's, 2 years

of fiddling only to have a stock Oppo103 sound more musical than all my tweaking soured me on DIY PC solutions.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi all. Three quick questions about firmware 4.0.

1. Specifically to Aries Mini users: Do you hear SQ improvements, like big-brother Aries users are reporting?
    • With an external USB DAC?
    • With the internal Mini DAC?
    • Both?

[*]Are the SQ improvements only when running the Lightning server, or should you expect similar SQ improvements when running MinimServer externally? Based on the description, I would expect to.

[*]Do the parameters for DAC Output Delay, i.e. DAC Delay, and Delay Time, have any impact on SQ? Honestly, I can't really tell if these parameters only apply to the internal Mini DAC, or the general Aries streamer part.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all. Three quick questions about firmware 4.0.

1. Specifically to Aries Mini users: Do you hear SQ improvements, like big-brother Aries users are reporting?
    • With an external USB DAC?
    • With the internal Mini DAC?
    • Both?

[*]Are the SQ improvements only when running the Lightning server, or should you expect similar SQ improvements when running MinimServer externally? Based on the description, I would expect to.

[*]Do the parameters for DAC Output Delay, i.e. DAC Delay, and Delay Time, have any impact on SQ? Honestly, I can't really tell if these parameters only apply to the internal Mini DAC, or the general Aries streamer part.

Thanks in advance.

Hi austinpop!

Yes, the SQ improvements with Firmware 4.0 are on Aries Mini as well. I am using external DAC but know that the improvements are also on the internal DAC. You can expect similar improvements with Minimserver. DAC delay does'nt improve the sound...but could cure latency issues with external DAC. I personally put it OFF.

/Micael

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi austinpop!

Yes, the SQ improvements with Firmware 4.0 are on Aries Mini as well. I am using external DAC but know that the improvements are also on the internal DAC. You can expect similar improvements with Minimserver. DAC delay does'nt improve the sound...but could cure latency issues with external DAC. I personally put it OFF.

/Micael

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Thanks - that is good to know. I appreciate your answers.

I picked up the 4.0 update while in the midst of other changes in cables, optical network isolation with LPS, etc, so it's hard to know how much of the improvement I'm hearing is due to the 4.0 FW!

Let me follow up with a different question. I've been really pleased with the impact of optical isolation on my network, so I'm now wanting to tackle galvanic isolation on the USB.

Is the Uptone Regen still the best answer to improve the USB link from Aries Mini to my Coded DAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hi austinpop

Mini user here. I replaced the Regen with a Wyred4sound Recovery recently and find the latter to improve sq on my system. More life and resonance in general and also more pronounced bass and mids. Regen was good but I prefer the Recovery,

I picked up the 4.0 update while in the midst of other changes in cables, optical network isolation with LPS, etc, so it's hard to know how much of the improvement I'm hearing is due to the 4.0 FW!

Let me follow up with a different question. I've been really pleased with the impact of optical isolation on my network, so I'm now wanting to tackle galvanic isolation on the USB.

Is the Uptone Regen still the best answer to improve the USB link from Aries Mini to my Coded DAC?

As you already noticed there are people prefering Wyred4Sound Recovery to USB Regen. What you´ll need to know before you descide is that there are advantages/disadvantages with both of them.

IMO the best USB cable is an unshielded 3-wire USB cable with detachable GND wire (after DAC handshake). This USB cable can only be bought special made by request (Elijah Audio, Curious cable etc) or if you are a handy guy=DIY. A problem with W4S Recovery is that it needs to see 5v (but do isolate the 5v & use femto clocking). Regen does´nt need to see 5v and can be used with a 3-wire USB cable without problem and without adding a separate USB LPS/BPS in the line. If you want to follow the route to use no 5v and no GND after DAC handshake you have no other option than Regen of the two. If you prefer to use shielded store cables WS4 Recovery is for sure a great choice but you will loose out the real benifits of cutting off 5v and GND. If you want to explore the path of unshielded data only USB cables I would recommend Regen. Personally I am pretty sure that no one that have listen to usnhielded data only USB cables will ever change back. However, it is your choise. Choose the best option for you...and choose wisely! ;)

Oh...one more thing. Before you descide you will need to check if your DAC needs to see 5v or not.

🎛️  Audio System  

The Recovery can be used with a 3 wire USB cable between it and an appropriate DAC. However I use a VBUS2 to the same effect. Can't speak for lifting the ground beyond the VBUS2.

Sorry, my misstake! :-/ I have read before that W4S Recovery needs to see the 5v...but after a quick double-check it seems that you are correct. Then for sure the W4S Recovery seems like a better choise than Regen...that I might consider as well if I am not waiting for the coming uber-Regen! :)

I would expect the same scenario with ground lift.

🎛️  Audio System  

Sorry, my misstake! :-/ I have read before that W4S Recovery needs to see the 5v...but after a quick double-check it seems that you are correct. Then for sure the W4S Recovery seems like a better choise than Regen...that I might consider as well if I am not waiting for the coming uber-Regen! :)

I would expect the same scenario with ground lift.

The Recovery does need the 5v on its input. I will look into lifting the ground. Thanks

As you already noticed there are people prefering Wyred4Sound Recovery to USB Regen. What you´ll need to know before you descide is that there are advantages/disadvantages with both of them.

IMO the best USB cable is an unshielded 3-wire USB cable with detachable GND wire (after DAC handshake). This USB cable can only be bought special made by request (Elijah Audio, Curious cable etc) or if you are a handy guy=DIY. A problem with W4S Recovery is that it needs to see 5v (but do isolate the 5v & use femto clocking). Regen does´nt need to see 5v and can be used with a 3-wire USB cable without problem and without adding a separate USB LPS/BPS in the line. If you want to follow the route to use no 5v and no GND after DAC handshake you have no other option than Regen of the two. If you prefer to use shielded store cables WS4 Recovery is for sure a great choice but you will loose out the real benifits of cutting off 5v and GND. If you want to explore the path of unshielded data only USB cables I would recommend Regen. Personally I am pretty sure that no one that have listen to usnhielded data only USB cables will ever change back. However, it is your choise. Choose the best option for you...and choose wisely! ;)

Oh...one more thing. Before you descide you will need to check if your DAC needs to see 5v or not.

The Recovery has its own power. Why would it need power from USB?

I tape it off w/no problems.