IGNORED

iFi micro iDSD

Which DACs do you have?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/review-portable-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-dacs-audioquest-dragonfly-meridian-explorer-director-ifi-idac-idsd-geek-out-pulse-19272/

Regarding the slight hiss, the iDSD is dead silent at normal volume and gain (just like most other DAC), however the iDSD can output >50x more power in high gain and high power mode when compare to other DACs, and I guess we need to compare apple to apple. So if in high gain and high power mode, there is some slight hiss when volume is turned up and no music is playing, for me this is totally acceptable. Just like one won't complain the engine noise from his Ferrari is a bit too loud ... But if this does annoy you, I suggest return it :)

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

Which DACs do you have?

This one I had for years and it is truly a gem to my ears: JDS Labs - Standalone ODAC I use it mostly in my desktop system.

After returning the iDSD I was searching something inexpensive to play/test DSD craze and went with this: DS-DAC-100m MOBILE 1BIT USB-DAC | Audio | KORG using it in both settings, headphones and my main system. Sounds fantastic to me, PCM or DSD.

my > overly > fancy > system > with > directional > interconnects > powered > by > ego & linear fusion reactor

Oh, I can assure you I pay utmost attention.

First of all, there is no channel imbalance at low level on my unit. The only person I have seen note it is you, actually.

Second, there are virtually no clicks at all on my unit changing file formats. This is as much software dependent as anything. Results vary in different configurations. And the turn on/off pop is barely notable, here. In fact, I never would have even noticed it if some one had not mentioned it.

Third, bitperfect sounds incredible, and it has nothing to do with the extra hiss. There is a slight increase in noise that is only barely, and I mean barely notable if you turn the volume pot to the max. While the signal to noise ratio may indeed be somewhat lower, it still far exceeds any standard of acceptable dynamic range. When you understand BitPerfect is a marketing term for Non-Oversampling, it is easier to understand why there may be slightly more noise. That is the nature of NOS filtering. Now, that said, some units may be experiencing a problem at the lowest sample rates in BitPerfect. (44.1 48) This is something iFi is aware of and working on. I can assure you that the 'analog' nature of the sound has nothing to do with excess noise.

Fourth, it sounds like you may be experiencing an unusual amount of issues, that suggest your unit was not up to standard. I can assure you mine functions very well. Any nitpicks that may be similar to what you are describing are very, very minor. Again, either your unit wasn't performing properly, or you are overblowing things.

I would like to change mine Idsd micro with yours.

Thanks Bikutoru

I will send my iDSD back tomorrow.

At home, my audiolab mdac with firmware v0.90 makes me really happy. (But it is not for mobile use)

Well, some folks just simply have a bad experience, even with the best gear. I do not think that the iFi products have, as you suggested with your originl post, a laundry list of problems.

Mine here certainly do not have those issues- any of them - and if they did, they would not be here. (shrug)

Good luck, I hooe you either get a unit that works better for you from iFi, or some other unit that you like. Both the DragonFly and Meridian units sound good and are in the same approximate price range, you might try one of them. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Interesting, that yours is working perfect.

meanwhile i read this paper:

http://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/file.php?h=AH7wOiW9HNl2vNg8AoH-6gFk7o4aNIXMb0c8e8fea79a0206d6feda937b888e91

Does ist mean you have a well balanced volume control?

Shure you habe, because you do not have any of my problems.

Maybe i should give it one more try with a differen unit and hope it is no monday edition :-)

It's an analog volume control - once you get it below about 9-10 o'clock on the dial, it will likely be out of balance. This is common with analog (not digital) volume controls, not just on iFi equipment.

The fix is to select a lower amp level and / or adjust the IEM match settings. If you have to turn down the amp to 9-10 o'clock, you likely will experience this issue - it does not occur at normal (i.e., 12 o'clock or higher) listening levels.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

No sir. The Micro will be my airplane dac.

Yeah it's my airplane dac and sounds terrific with headphones . For some reason , I can't get it to

sound that great when connected to my integrated amps using coax from an Auralic Aries . My other

dacs including an Audiolab mdac and Arcam irdac sound terrific with the same amps .

A little puzzling . .maybe I should try the Micro idsd usb with the amps which is what I use with headphones .

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to get the Micro iDSD hooked up. I knew it was good as I tried it with my headphones. However, for giggles I hooked it up to my ARIES. WOW! I never thought it would sound this flippin' good. I'm shocked! I could easily live with this as long as I never heard the other side (7x the cost). :-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I finally got a chance to get the Micro iDSD hooked up. I knew it was good as I tried it with my headphones. However, for giggles I hooked it up to my ARIES. WOW! I never thought it would sound this flippin' good. I'm shocked! I could easily live with this as long as I never heard the other side (7x the cost). :-)

(grin) I bet you could easily live with it even comparing it one on one with a $3000 DAC. Seriously. I don't get to hear as many high end DACs as you do, but when it sounds pretty much as good as most of the DACs I have heard under $10K, I get to wondering. The iFi Nano and iFi Micro are true gems. They sound even better with clean power going into them, and a USB cable that helps ensure that.

I am looking forward to the competition coming out. The difference between the DAC offerings of just a few years ago and the iFi stuff is like the difference between a Stanley Steamer and a Tesla.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

(grin) I bet you could easily live with it even comparing it one on one with a $3000 DAC. Seriously. I don't get to hear as many high end DACs as you do, but when it sounds pretty much as good as most of the DACs I have heard under $10K, I get to wondering. The iFi Nano and iFi Micro are true gems. They sound even better with clean power going into them, and a USB cable that helps ensure that.

I am looking forward to the competition coming out. The difference between the DAC offerings of just a few years ago and the iFi stuff is like the difference between a Stanley Steamer and a Tesla.

-Paul

If one took the money out of it and was blind folded I find it hard to believe they couldn't be happy with it (myself included). It really is awesome!

I'm looking forward to trying the UpTone Audio Regen with it next month. That should be an interesting experiment.

What competition are you speaking of? In general or is there something coming that you know of that competes with it?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

If one took the money out of it and was blind folded I find it hard to believe they couldn't be happy with it (myself included). It really is awesome!

I'm looking forward to trying the UpTone Audio Regen with it next month. That should be an interesting experiment.

What competition are you speaking of? In general or is there something coming that you know of that competes with it?

It's a mystery to me -I can't think of any product coming out in the next month or so that would have "inspired" this post...shill or just fanboy?

I am looking forward to the competition coming out.

-Paul

It's a mystery to me -I can't think of any product coming out in the next month or so that would have "inspired" this post...shill or just fanboy?

You tell me.

"I am looking forward to the competition coming out. The difference between the DAC offerings of just a few years ago and the iFi stuff is like the difference between a Stanley Steamer and a Tesla. "

Yes and I understand on their next model ifi will have crowdsourced functions to end world hunger and bring peace to the Middle East..

"I am looking forward to the competition coming out. The difference between the DAC offerings of just a few years ago and the iFi stuff is like the difference between a Stanley Steamer and a Tesla. "

Yes and I understand on their next model ifi will have crowdsourced functions to end world hunger and bring peace to the Middle East..

Perhaps you should move along instead of crapping on this thread.

My micro works fine . I did the update so the PPP is gone now.

Pas for cans it can drive , not the he6 for sure other than that it does well every can or ciem i own were fine. The DSd is very good , the pcm is good a times but seems not so good at times. It seems to vary from one resolution or song to another not sure why. It's always good but does get better on some. The overall soind is a big warm for me . So paring it with my lcd3 is bad for me. The built sound morphing SW,s work very well and one seems to help the eq I need to get it more neutral . When I tried the output to my own hdbd800 as an amp it sounded dark not good . I do use it for mobile use as well as desk top. For the price I think it's a great deal for the price. I also Recomend it for a good start for iPhones and desk top setup.

Al

Perhaps you should move along instead of crapping on this thread.

Apologies, they weren't very adult posts on my behalf and I 'm sure that all the enthusiasm for ifi products in this thread and others is simply down to good user experience, it's just that sometimes that enthusiasm does seem to be a little OTT.

Wow.

For the record, I am not associated in any way with iFi or it's parent company, and I paid full price for both the iFi Nano and iFi Micro I have here. I do not make money reviewing these products, nor do I "promote" them on this forum. I do like to talk about them and the fact that iFi put together a killer DAC for so little money is freaking amazing to me. Especially when you see people putting out statement DACs and bragging about putting out the "most expensive DAC in the world."

Also for the record, you comment was insulting an completely out of line. if you don't like the iFi products, you can say so, but do not expect me to agree with you. By the way, have you bothered buying them and trying them?

Robert A. Heinlein

For the record I am with Paul. It's a fine product and at a cheap price. Getting many who buy a taste of true hi end audio with out maxing out a credit card lol. It's fine and dacs costing 80 times more it's still good for me too. Why such hatred is not cool