IGNORED

iFi micro iDSD

If I wanted to use another companies power supply, can I simply use the Gemini cable to separate the signal and power and go from there?

Hi,

For sure, try a different power supply. Try the Gemini (audio) direct to the PC. And the Gemini (power) direct to the iUSB/3rd party power supply. Like the connection diagram below?

Like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23132[/ATTACH]

Source: Improve | iFi Audio

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Hi,

Thank you for trying this and letting us know. On the MBP, we use Audirvana Plus and this is what happens. As you have JRMC on MAC, you encounter a slightly different glitch. In AN+, the dac is still 'visible' but must be manually re-selected.

A while back, Yosemite exhibited a similar issue initially but it was fixed quite quickly in a MAC update. We are hopeful that El Capitan is update soon to fix this glitch too.

All the fun of computer audio!

I my case the iDSD was no visible anymore.. I have to replug to let the OS to see it..

Do you think that using an external dedicated power supply like iPower will definitively fix my issue?

Regards

Saverio

To all who are hibernating/sleeping your computers:

Perhaps it is too easy, but why not just modify your hibernation/sleep policy to allow the USB port to always stay on? I know it's easy to do in Windows - I would assume it can be done in Apple. Changing this policy will cost you about 2 cents a year in electricity if that.

I tend to restrict my "sleeping" computers to turning off the HD and the screen and that's it - that is where the real power is used anyways - if I want to save more electricity, it's time to turn the thing off...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

To all who are hibernating/sleeping your computers:

Perhaps it is too easy, but why not just modify your hibernation/sleep policy to allow the USB port to always stay on? I know it's easy to do in Windows - I would assume it can be done in Apple. Changing this policy will cost you about 2 cents a year in electricity if that.

I tend to restrict my "sleeping" computers to turning off the HD and the screen and that's it - that is where the real power is used anyways - if I want to save more electricity, it's time to turn the thing off...

For sure my 2010 mac does not provide usb power while in hibernation I have not tested while in "memory sleep" but if my issue is only matter of power supply I cannot understand why I have the same issue using an USB hub with dedicated power supply (may be because it was an usb3 hub.. ?)

regards

For sure my 2010 mac does not provide usb power while in hibernation I have not tested while in "memory sleep" but if my issue is only matter of power supply I cannot understand why I have the same issue using an USB hub with dedicated power supply (may be because it was an usb3 hub.. ?)

regards

You are having the same issue (probably) because of Apple side of things...when hardware gets power back and drivers has to redect things again and renegotiate connections it simply is not happening smoothly...better just to leave things (ports, even OS's) on except screen and HD which are the biggest power users anyways - or if you really need to save a buck a year on electricity then just power everything off all the way...

Jriver MC21 - Mac mini El Capitan - Regen - iFi DSD Micro - DSD256 playback problem

i don't seem to get DSD 256 files to play back through JRiver - it seems to downsample first.

Am I missing a trick?

No such problems with my trial version of Audirvana.

Thank you

Hi,

Missed this query - but to answer, you already narrowed it down to JRMC because you tried AN+ and that works fine on DSD256.

On MAC, we use AN+ too and that works fine with our native DSD 256 recordings from Japan.

Cheers.

regards

Hi,

USB Power off or on in itself is not the issue. A Powered Hub will keep usually keep Vbus (5V USB Power) alive all the time (not issue of USB2.0 or USB3.0).

For customers of the iUSB3.0, if they want to have this feature, please just switch to 'ON.'

See point #6) in the iUSB3.0 User manual.

http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/manual/micro_iUSB3.0_Manual.pdf

I my case the iDSD was no visible anymore.. I have to replug to let the OS to see it..

Do you think that using an external dedicated power supply like iPower will definitively fix my issue?

Regards

Saverio

No. It looks like this:

ipower.jpg

Because the iPOWER cannot be connected to the micro iDSD.

So please don't buy it.

Cheers.

Thanks so much!

Hi,

For sure, try a different power supply. Try the Gemini (audio) direct to the PC. And the Gemini (power) direct to the iUSB/3rd party power supply. Like the connection diagram below?

Like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23132[/ATTACH]

Source: Improve | iFi Audio

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

This may be a complete shot in the dark but...

Do any of the owners on this thread also have a Synology NAS and are running the DS Audio app on iPhone or iPad?

I was wondering if one could verify:

1) Is audio still routed to the iDSD through the CCK when using the app? I.e. no errors or other problems starting playback from DS Audio?

2) If (1) is successful, does DS Audio play files back "as is"- meaning, if you play files of different sample rates (96/192kHz, etc), does the iDSD LED change accordingly, or is it "fixed" at a particular sample rate (same LED colors), meaning DS Audio is manipulating the playback sample rate?

Considering buying this piece with gift cards from the holidays, curious if it will work with my particular setup- using HF Player/DS Audio on the go, and perhaps for connecting to a Raspberry Pi/Volumio at home...any other insights or experiences welcome!

Thanks in advance for your help, everyone.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Do any of the owners on this thread also have a Synology NAS and are running the DS Audio app on iPhone or iPad?

I can let you know in a couple of days. I have a Synology 411 + II, DS Audio on my iPhone 6 Plus and have an Ifi iDSD Micro/Apple CCK coming in 2 days. I can't wait to run that setup to my Beyer T1 headphones. My library is primarily 16/44 FLACs/320 MP3s but I do have a couple of 24/192 FLAC files to test. No DSDs yet though.

Balcy

I can let you know in a couple of days. I have a Synology 411 + II, DS Audio on my iPhone 6 Plus and have an Ifi iDSD Micro/Apple CCK coming in 2 days. I can't wait to run that setup to my Beyer T1 headphones. My library is primarily 16/44 FLACs/320 MP3s but I do have a couple of 24/192 FLAC files to test. No DSDs yet though.

Balcy

Hi,

We strive to be 'Bit-Perfect' but in the case of MP3s, it is worth trying to transcode them to DSD512 (or DSD256 if dac is limited to this).

The MP3>DSD256/512 tutorial is here:

Computer Audio Tutorial | iFi Audio

Select 'Enhanced Listening.'

(this setup is of course not exclusive to iFi dacs so feel free to try)

We do it with good music that is only available on MP3 (hence not available in any other format) like this:

so get 'rollin in the DSD' with your MP3.

Balcy

Thanks! That would be much appreciated. Most curious to see if the sample rate LED does change (indicating DS Audio is streaming the audio as-is).

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Hi,

We strive to be 'Bit-Perfect' but in the case of MP3s, it is worth trying to transcode them to DSD512 (or DSD256 if dac is limited to this).

So this transcodes MP3s on the fly (no file conversion necessary)? That is really cool!

Thanks!

Balcy

I was wondering if one could verify:

1) Is audio still routed to the iDSD through the CCK when using the app? I.e. no errors or other problems starting playback from DS Audio?

2) If (1) is successful, does DS Audio play files back "as is"- meaning, if you play files of different sample rates (96/192kHz, etc), does the iDSD LED change accordingly, or is it "fixed" at a particular sample rate (same LED colors), meaning DS Audio is manipulating the playback sample rate?

1. DS Audio sounds great from my iPhone 6/CCK to the iDSD. It plays fine, no skips or buffering.

2. I tried playing a 24/192 FLAC file and only got a green light on the iDSD. The same file from my desktop computer and thru JRMC connected via USB had a yellow light on the iDSD which is correct. I checked the advanced settings on Audio Station and made sure transcoding/downsampling was turned off so there shouldn't have been any manipulation going on. I will keep looking.

1. DS Audio sounds great from my iPhone 6/CCK to the iDSD. It plays fine, no skips or buffering.

2. I tried playing a 24/192 FLAC file and only got a green light on the iDSD. The same file from my desktop computer and thru JRMC connected via USB had a yellow light on the iDSD which is correct. I checked the advanced settings on Audio Station and made sure transcoding/downsampling was turned off so there shouldn't have been any manipulation going on. I will keep looking.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone will advertise itself as a 44 / 48 capable device, regardless of whether an external DAC is attached. So DSAudio will stream the format it's been told.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Yes, DSD512 on the fly. So once setup on Foobar/JRMC you are good to go.

Is there some reason you don't recommend using JRMC's built in DSP studio/output format tab to up-sample (in this case, mp3 to DSD)? Setting up another ASIO driver and switching them back and forth is not trivial for your typical Windows user - that and Window's is "finicky/touchy" when it comes to ASIO drivers in any case.

Is your path doing something different than JRMC built in up-sampling/re-encoding?

edit: Just want to add that I love the sound of my nano iDSD and see a micro iDSD in my future...

Is there some reason you don't recommend using JRMC's built in DSP studio/output format tab to up-sample (in this case, mp3 to DSD)? Setting up another ASIO driver and switching them back and forth is not trivial for your typical Windows user - that and Window's is "finicky/touchy" when it comes to ASIO drivers in any case.

Is your path doing something different than JRMC built in up-sampling/re-encoding?

edit: Just want to add that I love the sound of my nano iDSD and see a micro iDSD in my future...

Hi,

Yes, you are indeed correct.

Not all algorithms to convert PCM to DSD are identical. In fact, the differences are quite large.

Listen for yourself to compare, the Foobar Components are free to download.

Cheers.

Is there something to be gained from upsampling mp3 to dsd?

Hi,

As above, we strive to be 'Bit-Perfect' but in the case of MP3s, it is worth trying to transcode them to DSD512 (or DSD256/128 if the dac is limited). Actually, the higher DSD rate, the better.

The MP3>DSD512 tutorial is here:

Computer Audio Tutorial | iFi Audio

Select 'Enhanced Listening' (this setup is of course not exclusive to iFi dacs so feel free to try with any DSD capable dac).

We do this with good music that is only available on MP3 (hence not available in any other format).

It wont cost you a bean - try it and if you like it great. If you dont like it, just delete it. Audio is subjective but suffice to say we like it and that's what we do with our MP3 library (yes, we do listen to MP3 as good music is good music).

Cheers.

AMR/iFI

Any updates you can share about the iDSD PRO?

Hi,

The global launch of the Pro iCAN is end February. A little like the car manufacturers, the Pro iCAN and Pro iDSD share much of the same platform. As we get closer to the time, we will announce more details in our sponsored area.

Hope we have shed a little more light.