IGNORED

iFi micro iDSD

(grin) They sound even better with clean power going into them, and a USB cable that helps ensure that.

-Paul

In order to implement something like this, wouldn't you need a custom cable(s) being the micro uses otg connection?

My rig

Wow.

For the record, I am not associated in any way with iFi or it's parent company, and I paid full price for both the iFi Nano and iFi Micro I have here. I do not make money reviewing these products, nor do I "promote" them on this forum. I do like to talk about them and the fact that iFi put together a killer DAC for so little money is freaking amazing to me. Especially when you see people putting out statement DACs and bragging about putting out the "most expensive DAC in the world."

Also for the record, you comment was insulting an completely out of line. if you don't like the iFi products, you can say so, but do not expect me to agree with you. By the way, have you bothered buying them and trying them?

My apologies again, as I said these were not very adult posts on my part and I realise that your and others' comments reflect nothing other than your genuine experience with the products. I have never tried nor have anything against ifi products, it's just that in general terms, the sheer volume and extremes of praise for ifi on this forum combined with some fairly dismissive comments on competitor products, just appears to me to be a bit partisan from time to time.

In order to implement something like this, wouldn't you need a custom cable(s) being the micro uses otg connection?

Hey guys,

I felt the same way about the supplied usb adapter to the micro. I was disappointed to see the usb input was a male usb !!?? I had a nice transport setup for the nano and had to input it through that generic adapter in the kit supplied with the micro. I complained to ifi but it looks like the iphone/ipad crowd won out on that one. There is something called a lightning cable that this was selected for. Interesting choice :/ It is the only thing I can complain about. The dac section of this deviceperforms well out of it's class and way beyond my expectations.

I decided to get a usb adapter made. I had Forza Audio Works make one for me. It cost about $85 shipped from Poland. It is female B to female A and it works great. I can say it gave some gain in the sonics. In my usb chain to the micro I have:

Paul Pang usb card/ Paul pang usb cable/ iusb power/ ifi gemini cable/ Forza usb adapter/ micro idsd

that feeds my Woo WA2/T1 for headphones or WA2preout/ Exposure 2010S2 integrated amp/ Monitor Audio GX100 speakers for my main system.

I know it's crazy and the trasnsport system is more expensive than the micro but it delivers amazing sound quality. Most people don't know how really great this little device is. I will eventually upgrade to the idsd pro, but the way this system sounds, I'm in no hurry. I have attached a picture of the usb input on my micro. Ok back to the music.....later! :)

20150308_140356.jpg

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

• 2 weeks later...

you don't have to have a custom cable. The iUSB PSU two slots....one power only and the other power and signal. So you could get a very good usb cable and use the side with power and signal only.

i agree with Paul. I run my iDSD Micro/iUSB PSU in my two channel system as a stationary DAC doing DSD128 only. No portable here. I've Wireworld Starlight 7 USB and WireWorld Silver Eclipes 7 RCA cables ($700) into the tube preamp and the sound is huge and hi Quality reference as well. There certainly Is nothing micro about the micro other than size. And as far as usb cables , I've a double headed USB cable coming from Italy....the "Neutral Cable". If interested look them up! I was able to borrow one from a friend and was blown away with the level of transparency it offered. All one has to do is make sure the iFI DSD Micro DAC has great components and great cables and the iFi will reward you beyond your dreams.

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

Hey guys,

I felt the same way about the supplied usb adapter to the micro. I was disappointed to see the usb input was a male usb !!?? I had a nice transport setup for the nano and had to input it through that generic adapter in the kit supplied with the micro. I complained to ifi but it looks like the iphone/ipad crowd won out on that one. There is something called a lightning cable that this was selected for. Interesting choice :/ It is the only thing I can complain about. The dac section of this deviceperforms well out of it's class and way beyond my expectations.

I decided to get a usb adapter made. I had Forza Audio Works make one for me. It cost about $85 shipped from Poland. It is female B to female A and it works great. I can say it gave some gain in the sonics. In my usb chain to the micro I have:

Paul Pang usb card/ Paul pang usb cable/ iusb power/ ifi gemini cable/ Forza usb adapter/ micro idsd

that feeds my Woo WA2/T1 for headphones or WA2preout/ Exposure 2010S2 integrated amp/ Monitor Audio GX100 speakers for my main system.

I know it's crazy and the trasnsport system is more expensive than the micro but it delivers amazing sound quality. Most people don't know how really great this little device is. I will eventually upgrade to the idsd pro, but the way this system sounds, I'm in no hurry. I have attached a picture of the usb input on my micro. Ok back to the music.....later! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17296[/ATTACH]

why did you have an adapter made? There is an adapter I the box...in that static bag. It works fine. What is the IDSD pro?

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

you don't have to have a custom cable. The iUSB PSU two slots....one power only and the other power and signal. So you could get a very good usb cable and use the side with power and signal only.

i agree with Paul. I run my iDSD Micro/iUSB PSU in my two channel system as a stationary DAC doing DSD128 only. No portable here. I've Wireworld Starlight 7 USB and WireWorld Silver Eclipes 7 RCA cables ($700) into the tube preamp and the sound is huge and hi Quality reference as well. There certainly Is nothing micro about the micro other than size. And as far as usb cables , I've a double headed USB cable coming from Italy....the "Neutral Cable". If interested look them up! I was able to borrow one from a friend and was blown away with the level of transparency it offered. All one has to do is make sure the iFI DSD Micro DAC has great components and great cables and the iFi will reward you beyond your dreams.

Please can you report back on the Neutral Cable?

I am in italy and am interested in trying one since the manufacturer here offers a 7 day trial period...thanks

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8

Please can you report back on the Neutral Cable?

I am in italy and am interested in trying one since the manufacturer here offers a 7 day trial period...thanks

Hi!

The Neutral cable is a very nice cable...its really huge...seems to be at least a 1 gauge cable. The sound is very well balanced and very clear and transparent. Very musical. There are a few trade offs with the Wireworld Starlight 7 which is a little richer in the mids. But overall, the Neutral cable is more transparent and clear.

@slippers-on

The idsd pro is in my understanding a rename of the idsd mini. The next level after the micro.

Oh..ok, thanks!

Hi!

The Neutral cable is a very nice cable...its really huge...seems to be at least a 1 gauge cable. The sound is very well balanced and very clear and transparent. Very musical. There are a few trade offs with the Wireworld Starlight 7 which is a little richer in the mids. But overall, the Neutral cable is more transparent and clear.

Thanks Slipper!

What power setting do HD800 users find best? Turbo or normal?

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 

Thanks Slipper!

What power setting do HD800 users find best? Turbo or normal?

I use mine in a two channel system...not head phones.. so I believe those options arent avalible to me.

I use mine in a two channel system...not head phones.. so I believe those options arent avalible to me.

in Direct out they will make no diff but in preamplifier mode they will boost output by 9dB when set to Normal or Turbo.

Ok...I may try it just to see.

Can anyone comment on using Audirvana +2 on the iDSD and what settings on Audirvana they find optimal?

See the iZotope RX thread in the software section, it has a lot of usefull info on the settings. I don't use Audivana for upsampling it stick strictly to HQplayer for that.

If you are looking for DSD performance, then go with the Micro. Cant yet say for sure if the Micro matches the Chord for redbook. i would need to study that more later on.

Has anyone reached any conclusions about the sound quality of PCM playback with the Micro iDSD compared to other DACs?

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

the ifi micro is very good dsd DAC . It's real sounding dsd at Avery cheap price. It spcm is a bit odd for me some sound very good some not so. The amp does seem warm for me .

i did try it with a coup,e of amps and it was very warm . Not saying it's bad but connections to external amps are effected so getting the right pairing is important . The why others can explain I cannot .

For the hd800 the power out effects hiw loud it sounds not how good . So what ever gets you to the loudness you like is fine .

The usb input was made for the camera adaptor it seems . So unless you use there cable an adaptor is needed for you own usb cables.

Al

I just saw discussion thread on Head-Fi forum (iFi Audio Pro desktop line)

Thorsten has posted some specifications there. Will be nice if Thorsten can tell us here something more.

Cat's out of the bag - they just updated the Facebook Page here -

If they have beta version ready to test we can pretty much say they will demo this at High End this May :-D