IGNORED

HQ Player

9 minutes ago, GMG said:

Hi @Miska

On my fresh install of HQPlayer and Roon on the same machine running Ubuntu server OS I am experiencing a track stop and a message from Roon that it has lost control of HQPlayer.  
I am still running a trial version of HQPlayer embedded. 
the track stop and Roon’s loss of control occurs about 5-7minutes after I start a new 20min trial session. When I resume play from Roon everything continues smoothly until my 20 minutes are finished. 
fron HQPlayer log I could not see anything at the specific time of the issue apart from “stopped”

On Roon log (very difficult for me to read…) I found an entry at the same time: “[push] restarting connection (unable to read data from the transport connection: interrupted.)

Can you please advise on this?

thanks. 

First off, this sounds like a Roon issue, not HQP issue, which is not surprising.

Where are your Roon music files stored? Local drive? NAS?

If NAS, how is it connected? SMB? NFS? Reason for asking is I had problem with SMB but NFS is stable.

Lastly, highly recommend having HQP and Roon on separate computers as Roon is such a flake.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Have fun on the Roon forum with that one. 

@AudioDoctor has been down this road before. 

I used to have issues like this with Roon and HQP on the same machine from time to time. I finally gave up and separated them to two machines and all is well. One thing that did help a bit was to enter the actual IP of the machine running them both at the same time in Roon instead of using the 'localhost" method. I know this forced the data through the router instead of an internal feed. It did lessen the number of incidents but did not completely eliminate them.

35 minutes ago, GMG said:

Hi @Miska

On my fresh install of HQPlayer and Roon on the same machine running Ubuntu server OS I am experiencing a track stop and a message from Roon that it has lost control of HQPlayer.  
I am still running a trial version of HQPlayer embedded. 
the track stop and Roon’s loss of control occurs about 5-7minutes after I start a new 20min trial session. When I resume play from Roon everything continues smoothly until my 20 minutes are finished. 
fron HQPlayer log I could not see anything at the specific time of the issue apart from “stopped”

On Roon log (very difficult for me to read…) I found an entry at the same time: “[push] restarting connection (unable to read data from the transport connection: interrupted.)

Can you please advise on this?

thanks. 

Pro tip... It's not HQPlayer's fault.

remember the other day when I said that separating the two onto separate machines was a good idea? This is why, and this is just the beginning of your frustrations.

No electron left behind.

Thanks all

@ericuco my files are local. 

@AudioDoctor@The Computer Audiophile I will try my luck with Roon forum on this also. 

But how do you conclude it’s a Roon problem? Roon is claiming that it has lost connection to HQPlayer - as far as I know communication is a 2 way street so either side could be at fault here, no?

for some reason I think it does have something to do with the fact that I’m on trial with HQP. The loss of connection happens either soon after starting a new trial session or near the end of the session. 
When i was running both in windows I did not have this issue (didn’t really have any issues with windows, maybe I should revert 😂)

1 minute ago, GMG said:

Thanks all

@ericuco my files are local. 

@AudioDoctor@The Computer Audiophile I will try my luck with Roon forum on this also. 

But how do you conclude it’s a Roon problem? Roon is claiming that it has lost connection to HQPlayer - as far as I know communication is a 2 way street so either side could be at fault here, no?

for some reason I think it does have something to do with the fact that I’m on trial with HQP. The loss of connection happens either soon after starting a new trial session or near the end of the session. 
When i was running both in windows I did not have this issue (didn’t really have any issues with windows, maybe I should revert 😂)

Which version of HQP are you using? I'll tell you how to test this.

No electron left behind.

Just now, AudioDoctor said:

desktop or embedded?

download the client to a different machine. Add your library to HQPlayer whichever version you have, and press play from the client and let me know if music stops before the 30 minutes are over.

Embedded. 

I trust that it will play smoothly. 
on the other hand Roon would also play smoothly without HQP…

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

try it and let me know what you find...

I already tried Roon with out HQP - no issues. 
I am sure HQP on its own would also work flawlessly.

What is the point of this test if the target is to get them working together?

Just now, GMG said:

we have all told you how, and we told you why. If you don't want to believe us that's up to you.

When you're on the Roon forum, ask the Roon creators to update their implementation of HQP connection protocols to the latest version... Then maybe this won't happen.

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

we have all told you how, and we told you why. If you don't want to believe us that's up to you.

When you're on the Roon forum, ask the Roon creators to update their implementation of HQP connection protocols to the latest version... Then maybe this won't happen.

Don’t get me wrong here. I realize you have the experience and have told me about the potential frustration. And I have another computer in case I do decide to separate. 

if you say that the issue is already known and it is related with Roon’s connection protocol, why would 2 computers help? Won’t it still go through the same protocol?

3 minutes ago, GMG said:

if you say that the issue is already known and it is related with Roon’s connection protocol, why would 2 computers help? Won’t it still go through the same protocol?

I have no idea. I know that I tried and tried to get the two to work together on an extremely powerful PC built specifically for this purpose and in the end gave up in absolute frustration after Roon, and the users of the Roon forum, refused to be cooperative. Separating the two greatly increased sound quality and decreased the occurrence of the exact same bugs. It will not completely eliminate them. For that to happen, Roon needs to act.

HQPlayer by itself also sounds better than Roon+HQP.

No electron left behind.

Well the whole reason I wanted them on the same computer was under the assumption that it is the most simplest solution (less boxes and connections) and that the reduced signal path would also be the better approach to sound quality. 
obviously the simplicity is out of the door. 
Now that you mention that you also find that the sound quality to be better with 2 computers is another strong point….

HQP by itself is not an option for me. I use Qobuz and can’t give up on the capability of Roon to combine streaming and local files into 1 seamless library. 

By the way,

Small Green Computer are selling a sonic transporter that claims to run both Roon and HQP - so would the product not work also? I mean it is not a cheapo… the claims that it supports both must have been tested to be working smoothly, and since it is running the same code and protocols of both Roon and HQPlayer tells me that something else is ruining the party for the DIY people…. 

Most would assume that fewer boxes is better...but Roon is a VERY VERY chatty piece of software, and it bothers everyone around it (like HQP).  Get it on its own machine!!  You will be miles ahead.

1 minute ago, ted_b said:

Most would assume that fewer boxes is better...but Roon is a VERY VERY chatty piece of software, and it bothers everyone around it (like HQP).  Get it on its own machine!!  You will be miles ahead.

Thanks. 
I’ll give it a try. 

I have a Lenovo T420 i5 2nd generation and an older desktop with i5 1st generation. Any preference between those for HQP/Roon?

I used to run Roon Rock flawlessly on the desktop. And am currently getting frustrated with running both on the laptop under Ubuntu server OS. 

I assume that when I go separates, I would use Rock again and install HQPLAYER OS on the 2nd computer. 

31 minutes ago, GMG said:

I already tried Roon with out HQP - no issues. 
I am sure HQP on its own would also work flawlessly.

HQPlayer Client (and for example HQPDcontrol app) uses the same HQPlayer control API Roon is using...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

23 minutes ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer Client (and for example HQPDcontrol app) uses the same HQPlayer control API Roon is using...

I understand. 
With respect to that, shouldn’t this kind of stuff be handled between you and Roon and not by the users? I mean, as long as Roon and HQPlayer claim for integration (including on the same machine. Localhost) this should be resolved offline and not by frustrated users. 
I realize I have the chance to trial everything and make sure I’m satisfied or not, or which configuration works best for me. But it seems that it is a known issue, so it is a bit strange that it is not solved or at least clearly stated as a prerequisite that the 2 SW can’t be run on the same HW (and localhost option removed)

just letting of some steam.

30 minutes ago, GMG said:

I understand. 
With respect to that, shouldn’t this kind of stuff be handled between you and Roon and not by the users? I mean, as long as Roon and HQPlayer claim for integration (including on the same machine. Localhost) this should be resolved offline and not by frustrated users. 
I realize I have the chance to trial everything and make sure I’m satisfied or not, or which configuration works best for me. But it seems that it is a known issue, so it is a bit strange that it is not solved or at least clearly stated as a prerequisite that the 2 SW can’t be run on the same HW (and localhost option removed)

just letting of some steam.

First Roon would need to be interested.

1 hour ago, GMG said:

Well the whole reason I wanted them on the same computer was under the assumption that it is the most simplest solution (less boxes and connections) and that the reduced signal path would also be the better approach to sound quality. 

That was my assumption as well and it angers me it isn't the case. But wanting something to be so, against all evidence to the contrary, doesn't work.

No electron left behind.

Miska, what is the format for entering IIR biquads?  I'm working with this:

Coefficients for H(z):

num[0] = 6.758358e-003, [1] = -6.648568e-003
-------------------------------------------------------------------
den[0] = 1.000000e+000, [1] = -1.931275e+000, [2] = 9.313852e-001

Audacity Nyquist biquad equations (LISP format):

(biquad s b0 b1 b2 a0 a1 a2)
(biquad s 6.758358e-003 -6.648568e-003 0.000000e+000 1.0 1.931275e+000 -9.313852e-001)

(biquad-m s b0 b1 b2 a0 a1 a2)
(biquad-m s 6.758358e-003 -6.648568e-003 0.000000e+000 1.000000e+000 -1.931275e+000 9.313852e-001)

Thanks!

Jim

4 minutes ago, jdubs said:

Miska, what is the format for entering IIR biquads?

It is documented in the PDF manual (HQPlayer Desktop) and on the Help-page (HQPlayer Embedded)! :)

(Note: with above number of decimals it is not very accurate, compared to what the EQ functions calculate (64-bit floating point))

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers