IGNORED

HQ Player

5 hours ago, Jean Paul D said:

lots of claims of favorite filters* but seems nobody ever committed on SDM Integrator ; I picked IIR2 based on description. 

Could be that people don't listen as much DSD content as they do PCM content...

5 hours ago, Jean Paul D said:

*BTW is it bad taste to like mqa mp with 24/192 rock/pop ?

No, it works pretty well with hires. OK with 96k content and better with 192k content.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, Rizlaw said:

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to sort "Album View" in the HQP 4 desktop Client so that all albums are sorted by "album name" rather than "artist name"? Sadly, the ability to search and sort the database on metadata in the desktop Client has been seriously limited for some time.

At the moment it is sorted by combination of artist + album name. So that albums of an artist are grouped together in alphabetical order.

Which way you think the search is seriously limited? I think it is more flexible than what Roon has. Because I can easily search for example based on format which I haven't succeeded on Roon. Now I can search for "DSD64" to find all albums in DSD64 format.

In recent version on the right side (Transport View aka Playlist Editor) you can choose to view albums grouped by Artist, Composer, Performer or Genre. This was a recent change I made.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

At the moment it is sorted by combination of artist + album name. So that albums of an artist are grouped together in alphabetical order.

Which way you think the search is seriously limited? I think it is more flexible than what Roon has. Because I can easily search for example based on format which I haven't succeeded on Roon. Now I can search for "DSD64" to find all albums in DSD64 format.

In recent version on the right side (Transport View aka Playlist Editor) you can choose to view albums grouped by Artist, Composer, Performer or Genre. This was a recent change I made.

Miska, thank you for your reply to question 1.

Based on your webpage for updates, I am using the latest version of HQP -  4.10.3. I don't use Roon so I can't comment on your statement that HQP is more flexible than Roon.

The drop down box you mentioned in Transport View does not contain a "Genre" option, only Artist, Composer and Performer.

When using other Linux based players (i.e., Quod Libet, Guayadeque, Audacious) I can search on multiple metadata fields: the 3 you mentioned  and several others you didn't. For example, the "Comment" field is where I add several descriptive words that allow me to sort my large film soundtrack database by any key word in the "Comment" metadata field. I can also search by multiple metadata fields, like "Genre=Soundtrack" + "Comment=Star Wars" So, if I have 50 different albums with "Star Wars" related music in them, I can create a listing or playlist of just those 50 albums and nothing else.

As you noted, all of my music (soundtracks, vocals, instrumental, classical, etc) is displayed together in the "Play View" alphabetically by Artist-Album, so that the Genres are intermixed: Aaron Copland (classical) and Aaron Zigman (soundtrack) are displayed side by side. Not what I want to see. The "Search" field at the top of the "Play View" provides no way to filter how I want to see my music. At least, if I did see a "Genre" option I could just list one music category as opposed to all of them.

I hope this is now clear for you.

As to my second question about "Conky" do you have any suggestions?

Again thanks.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

1 hour ago, Rizlaw said:

Miska, thank you for your reply to question 1.

Based on your webpage for updates, I am using the latest version of HQP -  4.10.3. I don't use Roon so I can't comment on your statement that HQP is more flexible than Roon.

The drop down box you mentioned in Transport View does not contain a "Genre" option, only Artist, Composer and Performer.

When using other Linux based players (i.e., Quod Libet, Guayadeque, Audacious) I can search on multiple metadata fields: the 3 you mentioned  and several others you didn't. For example, the "Comment" field is where I add several descriptive words that allow me to sort my large film soundtrack database by any key word in the "Comment" metadata field. I can also search by multiple metadata fields, like "Genre=Soundtrack" + "Comment=Star Wars" So, if I have 50 different albums with "Star Wars" related music in them, I can create a listing or playlist of just those 50 albums and nothing else.

As you noted, all of my music (soundtracks, vocals, instrumental, classical, etc) is displayed together in the "Play View" alphabetically by Artist-Album, so that the Genres are intermixed: Aaron Copland (classical) and Aaron Zigman (soundtrack) are displayed side by side. Not what I want to see. The "Search" field at the top of the "Play View" provides no way to filter how I want to see my music. At least, if I did see a "Genre" option I could just list one music category as opposed to all of them.

I hope this is now clear for you. I also noticed that your "Artist" field is actually "Album Artist". I use "EasyTag" and they are NOT the same field data. I suggest you consider correcting this by adding two search fields: one for "Artist" and one for "Album Artist".

Again thanks.

On 3/23/2021 at 4:17 PM, Miska said:

Note that HQPlayer is not supported on Windows server editions. And by default those server editions both lack needed software components and their kernel tuning is wrong for audio use cases. Because desktop editions like WIndows 10 Pro are optimized for lower latencies and music/video/gaming performance. While server editions are optimized to maximize network bandwidth meaning that their responsiveness to processes wanting to do something suffers a lot.

By the way, you should really try Linux too.

I hv my old 6700k server .. Will try Ubuntu Desktop .. Do i download Ubuntu desktop from the web and add Hwplayer linux or ii ho with just your bootable Hqplayer Program? SQ is utmost top priority as usual

Thx Jussi

11 hours ago, FlashingBlade said:

Sorry I dont (if you tell me how to find it I'll try my best). But that was when the system was stuttering. Once I'd got it working and running consistently temps went up to the mid 60's - 70's after use for an hour or so. 

Im probably at the limits of what's realistic with 65w as I cant imagine an AMD 5600x would offer significantly more performance, maybe 5-10% max. 

Thanks for the response.

For power and temperature monitoring and mores, you can use some free software like HWiNFO or CPUID HWMonitor and check the CPU Package Power.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

9 hours ago, Rizlaw said:

I guess that addition has not landed in a release yet. Will be in the next release then.

I can search on multiple metadata fields: the 3 you mentioned  and several others you didn't.

Library data currently contains following items:

• samplerate
  • number of bits
  • number of channels
  • artist
  • composer
  • performer
  • album name
  • genre
  • date
  • song name

For example, the "Comment" field is where I add several descriptive words that allow me to sort my large film soundtrack database by any key word in the "Comment" metadata field.

Such field is not supported at the moment. Which tag is it in ID3v2?

The "Search" field at the top of the "Play View" provides no way to filter how I want to see my music. At least, if I did see a "Genre" option I could just list one music category as opposed to all of them.

You just add your wanted genre in your search terms? The search works pretty much the same way as Google/DuckDuckGo search.

No, sorry, never heard of such thing.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:55 AM, Ipoci said:

MacOS BigSur 11.2.0 issue with NAA 3.5.5 ... is now solved with 11.2.1

I just did the upgrade and HQPDesktop to NAA communication seems ok

Unfortunately latest upgrade (I'm obliged to do that) to BigSur 11.2.3 break again the behavior ... so:

11.2.0 not working

11.2.1 working

11.2.3 not working

In order to avoid the issue popping out every upgrade, I installed an MacOS Mojave (perfectly works) into a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on top of my BigSur resident MacOS ... but unfortunately the VM can't see the NAA (probably due to "virtualized" network environment)

4 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

I hv my old 6700k server .. Will try Ubuntu Desktop .. Do i download Ubuntu desktop from the web and add Hwplayer linux or ii ho with just your bootable Hqplayer Program? SQ is utmost top priority as usual

You download and install Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS. And then install HQPlayer package on it. You have two HQPlayer builds to choose from, the "regular" and "amd" one. The "amd" build also works on Intel CPUs, but requires at least AVX2 instruction set support, while the regular works up from SSE4.2.

2 minutes ago, Ipoci said:

Unfortunately latest upgrade (I'm obliged to do that) to BigSur 11.2.3 break again the behavior ... so:

11.2.0 not working

11.2.1 working

11.2.3 not working

Why are you running old 3.5.5 instead of latest version?

Remember to start networkaudiod through "sudo".

2 minutes ago, Ipoci said:

In order to avoid the issue popping out every upgrade, I installed an MacOS Mojave (perfectly works) into a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on top of my BigSur resident MacOS ... but unfortunately the VM can't see the NAA (probably due to "virtualized" network environment)

Likely yes, and virtual environments typically have horrible latency so you could encounter quite a bit playback issues.

46 minutes ago, Miska said:

You download and install Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS. And then install HQPlayer package on it. You have two HQPlayer builds to choose from, the "regular" and "amd" one. The "amd" build also works on Intel CPUs, but requires at least AVX2 instruction set support, while the regular works up from SSE4.2.

So for 4.10.3-38: regular version is amd64.deb & amd version is amd_amd64.deb. Correct? 

I have an Intel i7-6700k CPU which indicates instruction set extensions SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX2.  Is there an advantage to using the amd desktop version w/ Ubuntu 20.04LTS?

4 hours ago, brother love said:

So for 4.10.3-38: regular version is amd64.deb & amd version is amd_amd64.deb. Correct? 

Yes, that's the case. Regular version runs pretty much same on Intel CPUs as the AMD version, but for some reason suffers a lot on AMD.

4 hours ago, brother love said:

I have an Intel i7-6700k CPU which indicates instruction set extensions SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX2.  Is there an advantage to using the amd desktop version w/ Ubuntu 20.04LTS?

You can easily try both and decide which one works better for your CPU. Likely they are quite similar.

56 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

@miska Are the BB1793 incompatible with 48k upsampling?

No, but depends on the USB interface. With PCM inputs you have two clocks, for 44.1k and 48k base rates. And even at USB level PCM and DSD are the same except one bit in the descriptor. But somehow some USB interfaces fail to switch clocks for DSD format. I never understood who bothered to implement PCM and DSD clock handling differently, since it requires extra effort.

But practically always what defines the limitations is something else than the D/A conversion itself.

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, but depends on the USB interface. With PCM inputs you have two clocks, for 44.1k and 48k base rates. And even at USB level PCM and DSD are the same except one bit in the descriptor. But somehow some USB interfaces fail to switch clocks for DSD format. I never understood who bothered to implement PCM and DSD clock handling differently, since it requires extra effort.

But practically always what defines the limitations is something else than the D/A conversion itself.

When I listen to DSD256 at 12.288MhZ and DSD512 at 24.576MhZ files (48k), there is no sound!

1 hour ago, Yviena said:

Do you have any thoughts on why the regular build suffers so much on AMD? 

No, not really. It is very low level black magic. And CPU manufacturers are not particularly open about what exactly happens inside their chips. I do something by hand, and compilers do rest. But sometimes it is very complex like when you have multiple threads working in parallel and so on and that brings also the OS into play. And in this case we are talking about pushing a multicore CPU to it's limits. With some lesser load, you wouldn't even care or notice.

32 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

When I listen to DSD256 at 12.288MhZ and DSD512 at 24.576MhZ files (48k), there is no sound!

That is normal with most DACs on the market. Most others that give some sound out will either play too slow (with 44.1k-base clock) or have distorted or otherwise messy sound. You need to stick to 11.2896M and 22.5792M rates. That's why by default 48k-base DSD rates are disabled and you need to check the 48k DSD box to even try.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

That is normal with most DACs on the market. Most others that give some sound out will either play too slow (with 44.1k-base clock) or have distorted or otherwise messy sound. You need to stick to 11.2896M and 22.5792M rates. That's why by default 48k-base DSD rates are disabled and you need to check the 48k DSD box to even try.

And your T+A H200 that uses BB1795 plays 48k DSD?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

No, not really. It is very low level black magic. And CPU manufacturers are not particularly open about what exactly happens inside their chips. I do something by hand, and compilers do rest. But sometimes it is very complex like when you have multiple threads working in parallel and so on and that brings also the OS into play. And in this case we are talking about pushing a multicore CPU to it's limits. With some lesser load, you wouldn't even care or notice.

Hmm do the normal builds use AVX2?