IGNORED

HQ Player

On 2/15/2021 at 2:55 AM, Miska said:

You enter the share address like "//192.168.1.10/music" and then username and password for it. It will end up mounted under "/smb" path.

Does the web interface for HQPe actually mount the network SMB share to the bootable filesystem or does this have to be done manually first?

I'm headless so it's a pain to add a video card, hook up monitor, blah blah.

I think I remember years ago reading it was preferable to upsample to higher DSD rate and use a -2s filter? 

I'm using a i5 SGC and I can do 128 and most filters or 256 and -2s filters. I know I know what ever sounds better.... they both sound great. Is there a general rule? 

6 hours ago, lpost said:

Does the web interface for HQPe actually mount the network SMB share to the bootable filesystem or does this have to be done manually first?

Yes, the web interface sets up the mount so that it gets automatically mounted on subsequent boots and also mounts it immediately. It will appear under "/smb" mount point.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Guf Gufler said:

I think I remember years ago reading it was preferable to upsample to higher DSD rate and use a -2s filter? 

I'm using a i5 SGC and I can do 128 and most filters or 256 and -2s filters. I know I know what ever sounds better.... they both sound great. Is there a general rule? 

There are many useful -2s filters, in addition poly-sinc-ext2 and sinc-S are something you may like to try.

No general rule as such, it depends on music and personal preferences.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, the web interface sets up the mount so that it gets automatically mounted on subsequent boots and also mounts it immediately. It will appear under "/smb" mount point.

I'm struggling to get it to work. I have a share that I can access without issue from other Windows and MacOS machines. I'm using //192.168.1.87/music (I've also tried //192.168.1.87/Music to no avail) but I'm not prompted for credentials nor is anything found when I have it scan /smb.

1 hour ago, lpost said:

I'm struggling to get it to work. I have a share that I can access without issue from other Windows and MacOS machines. I'm using //192.168.1.87/music (I've also tried //192.168.1.87/Music to no avail) but I'm not prompted for credentials nor is anything found when I have it scan /smb.

Do you have a NAS for your music? Maybe it's the Samba version thing again. I had to activate the Samba version 3 on my Synology NAS. Though the latest HQPe version offers support for Samba version 1.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

It's a Windows 10 host. I believe only SMB2/3 is supported but one can manually enable 1 if required.

I've got a monitor hooked up and will edit the fstab file. I'm running HQPe  4.21.1 and need to update anyway but I hate to break a working setup ;) It's part of the fun and keeps my mind busy so it's good.

Thanks for the suggestion. My goal is to only be able to use the HQP library/play direct for SQ comparison purposes.

I battling to understand a problem. HW is Holo May USB to Asrock x370 Pro gaming motherboard.

I can mostly get it to work with 768PCM. Great. But sometimes, and once it occurs it's tough to get it working again...booting up the DAC will sync at 48k with PC once powered up. As HQPe OS boots and enables the USB device the DAC will 'unlock' quickly 'lock' again at 48k and then display DSD512X and HQPe console reports USB device connected followed by 'unsupported format bits'. 

I've tried 0, 16 and 20 for DAC bits, doesn't seem to matter. I've tried disabling the DAC PLL, no change. Any ideas where the problem lies?

In the screen shot I manually pulled USB and reinserted to generate message.

IMG_1623.thumb.jpeg.57f3642e9fdfcd6a801ce876b42c3f97.jpeg

1 hour ago, lpost said:

I battling to understand a problem. HW is Holo May USB to Asrock x370 Pro gaming motherboard.

I can mostly get it to work with 768PCM. Great. But sometimes, and once it occurs it's tough to get it working again...booting up the DAC will sync at 48k with PC once powered up. As HQPe OS boots and enables the USB device the DAC will 'unlock' quickly 'lock' again at 48k and then display DSD512X and HQPe console reports USB device connected followed by 'unsupported format bits'. 

I've tried 0, 16 and 20 for DAC bits, doesn't seem to matter. I've tried disabling the DAC PLL, no change. Any ideas where the problem lies?

In the screen shot I manually pulled USB and reinserted to generate message.

IMG_1623.thumb.jpeg.57f3642e9fdfcd6a801ce876b42c3f97.jpeg

Not sure if it the same with Spring 2 and May DAC but I had to install a different firmware to make my Spring 2 ready for 1411/1536kHz. It came with the '768kHz firmware' to be compatible with JCAT USB Femto and Matrix Element H. (I see 1024x in the display.)

I am not at home at the moment so please check the Kitsune site for the firmware versions.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

I’m not even getting that far but will check fw at some point. I presume it has 768 capable version since I have had that working and when I tired 1536 it didn’t but now am stuck with this error and no connection. Hopefully it’s just the motherboard ports and the pci-e board on the way will work.

7 hours ago, lpost said:

At the same form where you enter the share path you also enter credentials..

On 3/17/2021 at 7:52 AM, Miska said:

Is that some low power / mobile model, like U-series CPU in a NUC? Likely it doesn't have enough turbo boost for clocks to do EC modulators at DSD256. Likely ASDM5 works fine though.

@Miska thank you for your help. ASDM5 works almost perfect except it still breaks sound on few flac files. This is actually Lenovo Yoga 4th gen.  Oh well, probably as you've said CPU boost is too weak to handle upsampling in HQP.  

1 minute ago, alekc said:

@Miska thank you for your help. ASDM5 works almost perfect except it still breaks sound on few flac files. This is actually Lenovo Yoga 4th gen.  Oh well, probably as you've said CPU boost is too weak to handle upsampling in HQP.  

How do the per-core CPU load figures look like?

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Those format bits just tell it is a DSD capable DAC. You can ignore that warning.

I'll email you directly. HPQeOS is restarting the computer when I try to play music. I've found the problem does not occur using 4.18.1 but does with 4.21.1 and 4.22.3. I tried an eval of Euphony hosting HQPe (4.21.1) and had no problems playing at all. I think a kernel parameter has been changed that my Asrock AMD-based board and Holo May don't like.

Hello, I have just ordered a Mac mini M1 and I'm very tempted to test its horsepower with HQPlayer.

For the time being I'm a user of Audirvana, from France like me. I have done some homework and I'm puzzled : testing and maybe then acquiring HQP Embedded would allow be to keep my Library management on Audirvana and I would like that but it seems that HQPlayer plays on the M1 only in a special Mac desktop offer.

Has anybody tried Embedded on a M1? or at least tried to run Linux on it either the Correllium or Parallels route and checked performance?

Merci in advance

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

What is "Adaptive gain mode", does it adjust gain so that all tracks play at the same level?

If so, does iTunes XML provide the necessary ReplayGain information?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, nothing came up on a search.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Yes, it is according to ReplayGain 2 metadata specification. When playing in album mode, album gain is used. While when playing in playlist mode, track gain is used.

I don't know. HQPlayer reads the ReplayGain metadata embedded into the source files.

That "Adaptive gain mode" is a very useful feature.

I found an add-on for iTunes which embeds ReplayGain tags, I may give it a try.

Adjust Gain!

As you most certainly know, not all tracks are equally loud. Therefore, custom mixes can vary wildly in loudness, requiring the listener to adjust the volume for every song (audio normalization).

iTunes solves this issue with its proprietary Sound Check, a mechanism that attempts to replay all songs with the same loudness. Non-proprietary approaches to the problem are ReplayGain 1.0, and it successors ReplayGain 2.0 and EBU R 128/ATSC A/85.

beaTunes allows you to perform the ReplayGain analysis and adjust the standardized, track-specific id3 tags as well as the proprietary iTunNORM tags used by iTunes/Music.app. It does not however, change the actual gain, meaning the original audio data remains untouched. Adjusting the gain at playback time is left to your music player (in Music/iTunes Sound Check needs to be enabled).

https://www.beatunes.com/en/itunes-replay-gain.html

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

15 hours ago, lpost said:

I'll email you directly. HPQeOS is restarting the computer when I try to play music. I've found the problem does not occur using 4.18.1 but does with 4.21.1 and 4.22.3. I tried an eval of Euphony hosting HQPe (4.21.1) and had no problems playing at all. I think a kernel parameter has been changed that my Asrock AMD-based board and Holo May don't like.

I've discovered the issue appears to be with Matrix processing of convolution files. I've used the same files for over a year but if I disable matrix processing, HQPe is stable and works at 1.536Mhz PCM without issue. With matrix enabled it's not stable at any rate even no upsampling.

22 hours ago, Jean Paul D said:

Hello, I have just ordered a Mac mini M1 and I'm very tempted to test its horsepower with HQPlayer.

For the time being I'm a user of Audirvana, from France like me. I have done some homework and I'm puzzled : testing and maybe then acquiring HQP Embedded would allow be to keep my Library management on Audirvana and I would like that but it seems that HQPlayer plays on the M1 only in a special Mac desktop offer.

Has anybody tried Embedded on a M1? or at least tried to run Linux on it either the Correllium or Parallels route and checked performance?

Merci in advance

Hello, I'm new here ; maybe I did not post the question above in the right thread ? Where should I ask ?

Also I could not resist and started to have a functional look to HQP Desktop on my Mac laptop. I get to play music files fine by D&Drop but I also intend to use the Mac mini to stream videos and listen to France Musique web radio. For the sound I understood I could capture, in exemple, Safari with Audio hijack, set Loopback as an Output to hijack and then select Loopback as an Input to HQP. But no joy. I can see Hijack and Loopback's meters move but sound outputs only to built-in speakers. I can pick the Loopback instance as input in HQP's preferences but it does not stick and keep reverting to default. Loopback offers only built in outputs. 

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

@Miska Do you agree?

poly-sinc-ext2: Fantastic grip, instrument separation, gradations, and quiet. Better than the poly-sinc-ext. Decent amount of textural cues as well. Not very warm but not cold either.

sinc-L: By far the most resolving filter on this list. It digs DEEP but remains very analog sounding. I could start to hear the individual members of the audience. Cymbals and hi-hats have more “clang” and material to them. There’s an organic weight and presence to all instruments and performers. Very transparent and separation is uncanny. Amazing filter if you enjoy an uncolored sound. Personally, I prefer a more warm-blooded tone.

https://audiobacon.net/2021/03/17/hqplayer-better-than-a-5000-upscaler/#comments