IGNORED

HQ Player

On 1/24/2021 at 4:18 PM, Miska said:

@CheapSplurgeWhat filter smooths out treble peaks and harshness? 

Or what set up have you seen that helps with peaks and harshness.. I can't for the life of figure out how to eq with hqplayer properly. 

So I'm hoping a dither/dac bits/filter combo can help, I wish it had a *crossover*

@MiskaTry for example with poly-sinc-short-mp (or poly-sinc-short-mp-2s if doing DSD upsampling).

@MiskaJussi, I have been going through the old post (815 pages!!) to better understand HQPlayer. I have only HQPD and Roon installed on a 2018 Intel Mac mini and using a microRendu and Oppo Sonica DAC. Could you please provide me with your reasoning for suggesting the filters poly-sinc-short-mp (or poly-sinc-short-mp-2s to help @CheapSplurge? And why these types of filters for DSD upsampling?

As it relates to modulators, you have suggested using ASDM5EC with the ESS chipsets which would include the Sonica DAC. I benefit in what form in using the 5EC modulator vs the ASDM7EC modulator? What are the limitations/drawbacks by using the 7EC modulator? Is the 5EC recommendation more from a theory/technical standpoint or is there a sonic benefit? I have 48k DSD selected in the settings along with Adaptive output rate, the Bit rate is set at 48k x256, with these settings I am able to run the 7EC with no issues and no stress on my machine (3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB RAM, running macOS Mojave 10.14.6).

I currently upsample everything to DSD, no convolution, no EQ, no DSD source settings.

Still attempting to have a better understanding🤔...

Thanks for HQPlayer and all of the support you extend to all of us!

35 minutes ago, OzarkMtn said:

As it relates to modulators, you have suggested using ASDM5EC with the ESS chipsets which would include the Sonica DAC. I benefit in what form in using the 5EC modulator vs the ASDM7EC modulator? What are the limitations/drawbacks by using the 7EC modulator? Is the 5EC recommendation more from a theory/technical standpoint or is there a sonic benefit? I have 48k DSD selected in the settings along with Adaptive output rate, the Bit rate is set at 48k x256, with these settings I am able to run the 7EC with no issues and no stress on my machine (3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB RAM, running macOS Mojave 10.14.6).

I currently upsample everything to DSD, no convolution, no EQ, no DSD source settings.

Still attempting to have a better understanding🤔...

You've asked this question several times.  Jussi's recommendation to start at ASDM5EC is just that, a starting point, given his experiences with ESS chips.  Listen for yourself and if 7EC sounds better, use it.   Same with filters; they are like speakers....a personal choice that interacts with your room/equipment/ears/likes/dislikes/mood/barometric pressure.  :)  Remember that upsampling DSD to higher DSD bit rates does NOT use filters; only PCM (to higher PCM or DSD) does.

56 minutes ago, ted_b said:

You've asked this question several times.  Jussi's recommendation to start at ASDM5EC is just that, a starting point, given his experiences with ESS chips.  Listen for yourself and if 7EC sounds better, use it.   Same with filters; they are like speakers....a personal choice that interacts with your room/equipment/ears/likes/dislikes/mood/barometric pressure.  :)  Remember that upsampling DSD to higher DSD bit rates does NOT use filters; only PCM (to higher PCM or DSD) does.

And I'll keep asking until I am comfortable understanding the subject to my liking, at times things can be ambiguous for me. I was wanting to understand the "why's" a little bit better if you look at my questions I was asking. Sorry if I appear repetitive in my questions. Consider yourself lucky I didn't ask the other 168 questions😉...

5 hours ago, OzarkMtn said:

Could you please provide me with your reasoning for suggesting the filters poly-sinc-short-mp (or poly-sinc-short-mp-2s to help @CheapSplurge? And why these types of filters for DSD upsampling?

Usually it is when someone asks for something specific, I can try to suggest something. Hopefully it sometimes matches expectations...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

So I started typing this out last night and figured I'd see if I was on the latest version of HQP for Windows - I wasn't. So I upgraded to 4.10.3 and that fixed things at least for one night. But now tonight, the same issue is back so...

For some reason, my HQPlayer endpoint out of Roon seems to be ending songs early? With 3-4 seconds remaining in a track, it just stops playing and queues up the next song. I know it doesn't do the same thing on my upstairs endpoint which is basically a PC connected to an Anthem receiver via HDMI cable. I just haven't had time to try other "zones" or what have you to see if it's a Roon problem, or an HQ Player issue. And since I'm running the HQP NAA image on my Pi, I haven't taken a chance to swap back to like a RoPieeeXL image to see if just running it as a RoonBridge has the same issue.

Am I the only one with this issue? 

I'm using 4.10.3 on a W10 PC to a Pi4 with the HQP NAA image on it, USB out to my DAC. I listened to a few different zones through Roon today which are all routed through standard RoonBridges and had no similar issues.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

On 3/12/2021 at 10:35 PM, Miska said:

Or "hqplayerd" which is the HQPlayer Embedded package with typical 'd' suffix for "daemon".

Anyway, matrix feature on both Desktop and Embedded supports multiple filters (including combination of convolution and parametric).

Only supported format for the convolution FIRs is mono WAV.

Thank you! And sorry for calling HQPlayer Desktop HQPD.

8 hours ago, toddrhodes said:

For some reason, my HQPlayer endpoint out of Roon seems to be ending songs early? With 3-4 seconds remaining in a track, it just stops playing and queues up the next song. I know it doesn't do the same thing on my upstairs endpoint which is basically a PC connected to an Anthem receiver via HDMI cable.

I had a similar issue previously with my NAA setup, except it was cutting off the first few seconds of each track. I reverted back to an older version of the NAA image (sorry, I can't remember which one) and everything worked perfectly. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

A recent post has me confused a bit!

When upsampling a  DSD 64 File to DSD 128, is the NX Filter Selection in use, or not?
Especially if it is a 48K Family upsampled to the higher 6.2 or whatever MH?

If the NX Filters Aren't involved,

I'm going to have to completely re-set my EARS and Filter Choices!

Or did I misunderstand the Post to start with?

Hmmm...

Hi Miska,

I need help. HQPlayer desktop won't detect NAA (opticalrendu). I'm using two onboard lan port as bridge mode. I got no problem at all. Last week I changed my router to edgerouter x sfp, and I managed to make it worked for a week. Then yesterday I completely turn off my system and today no matter what I tried HQPlayer won't find NAA. I tried restart everything, reconfigure router setting, reinstall lan ports, turn all firewall off but still won't work. I see NAA in the network and I also can access Sonore sonicorbiter just fine. HQPlayer will still detect NAA if I connect it through router.

1 hour ago, Acholate said:

I need help. HQPlayer desktop won't detect NAA (opticalrendu). I'm using two onboard lan port as bridge mode. I got no problem at all. Last week I changed my router to edgerouter x sfp, and I managed to make it worked for a week. Then yesterday I completely turn off my system and today no matter what I tried HQPlayer won't find NAA. I tried restart everything, reconfigure router setting, reinstall lan ports, turn all firewall off but still won't work. I see NAA in the network and I also can access Sonore sonicorbiter just fine. HQPlayer will still detect NAA if I connect it through router.

Maybe the network change is not propagating multicast messages through?

5 minutes ago, Acholate said:

What configure should I look for? I'm not really know much about network.

Sorry, but it is impossible for me to say where the problem is and what you should do to fix it... Maybe disable the bridge mode, disable the other ethernet interface and then connect everything to an ordinary switch?

Hi,

I'm trying to setup DSD256 upsampling with USB input on Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and HQP 4.10.3 on Windows 10 and so far I failed to get uninterrupted playback. Setting upsampling to DSD128 or 64 is not a problem and it works as expected. Anyone had a luck with proper settings and wish to share those? 

1 minute ago, alekc said:

Hi,

I'm trying to setup DSD256 upsampling with USB input on Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and HQP 4.10.3 on Windows 10 and so far I failed to get uninterrupted playback. Setting upsampling to DSD128 or 64 is not a problem and it works as expected. Anyone had a luck with proper settings and wish to share those? 

What cpu, what modulator, what filter

10 hours ago, alekc said:

i7  1.80Ghz, ASDM5EC, poly-sinc-lp (assuming you are asking about HQP filter not Mytek).  

Is that some low power / mobile model, like U-series CPU in a NUC? Likely it doesn't have enough turbo boost for clocks to do EC modulators at DSD256. Likely ASDM5 works fine though.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:08 AM, Miska said:

If someone "fixes" the hardware (chip design)...

So a friend of mine has 1.536mhz working on his pi4 (his sotm sms200 ultra doesn't work, same as mine though). But my pi4 doesn't. 

Might his pi4 have a different USB controller? Is there something in particular I can look out for or a way to get it working on non-intel stuff? 

He's using a denafrips dac. No idea if that makes a difference. (I'd imagine not given as his sms200 still has the same problem)

You mentioned you had a solution earlier but I wasnt sure if that meant you had a solution that would be implemented in hqp in future (which would be amazing :D), or if the solution was just to use Intel

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

4 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

He's using a denafrips dac. No idea if that makes a difference.

It could...

You mentioned you had a solution earlier but I wasnt sure if that meant you had a solution that would be implemented in hqp in future (which would be amazing :D), or if the solution was just to use Intel

Reasons why it doesn't work are below HQPlayer/NAA layer. It is more related to hardware and the OS kernel.

So a friend of mine has 1.536mhz working on his pi4 (his sotm sms200 ultra doesn't work, same as mine though). But my pi4 doesn't. 

You both have same OS on the Pi4?

14 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

With a USB HAT or the pi4 USB ports? I have a spare 4 I need to try this with NAA OS.

Hi,

Just a week ago i had the opportunity to compare this Chord HMS & DAVE dac and my HQplayer & RME Adi-2 dac FS combo's

Both powered by a Nord Three Purifi amplifier with Vivid Kaya 25 loudspeakers

They sounded really good

Except for my wallet i could live with both of them

I bought the Purifi

;)

Enjoy...

Roon => RME Adi-2 FS dac => Nord Three 1ET400A ST => Focal Aria 936