IGNORED

HQ Player

16 minutes ago, RubenV said:

Do you rate WS10 above WS2019?

I don't have any WS2019, or any other Windows server edition. Windows desktop editions are optimized for multimedia and gaming use, server editions are optimized for file sharing and network bandwidth. For music playback it is better to use media optimized OS.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

53 minutes ago, Miska said:

I don't have any WS2019, or any other Windows server edition. Windows desktop editions are optimized for multimedia and gaming use, server editions are optimized for file sharing and network bandwidth. For music playback it is better to use media optimized OS.

Interesting, I always had the feeling that windows server sounded more clean and purist then the regular windows versions.

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

4 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

OK. What do you suggest? Non for me directly, but for for an end user.... 

I think poly-sinc-ext2 is current default, good all-rounder that I use myself most of the time. sinc-S is another alternative.

But I certainly recommend running the ADI-2 in DSD Direct mode and ASDM7EC modulator, with either of the those filter options. That is what I do myself.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Stock Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 for Workstations. Set power profile to High Performance or Ultimate performance.

Do not use any software that modifies Windows, or Process Lasso or any such.

Thank you for the quick reply. I already had the impression by the information in this thread that HQPlayer was best left alone to do it's job.

8 hours ago, RubenV said:

Interesting, I always had the feeling that windows server sounded more clean and purist then the regular windows versions.

I agree to @Miska with Windows 10. I tried Windows Server 2019 and I didn't like it. The sound was okay, but not better and not everything works on a server license. The optimization of the operating system is important. I use AudiophileOptimizer for this, but not only. All components and the software are optimized for the lowest possible latencies. If it looks like that, then I'm fine.

40249400ra.png

I think everyone has their own preferences. 😉

9 hours ago, k6davis said:

A modestly powered PC running Roon Core on Windows 10 or Windows Server, with Audiophile Optimizer if you like

if dedication a PC for Roon then why not run ROCK on a NUC? No need for windows or Audiophile Optimizer. That is just adding more overhead.

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

I agree to @Miska with Windows 10. I tried Windows Server 2019 and I didn't like it. The sound was okay, but not better and not everything works on a server license. The optimization of the operating system is important. I use AudiophileOptimizer for this, but not only. All components and the software are optimized for the lowest possible latencies. If it looks like that, then I'm fine.

40249400ra.png

I think everyone has their own preferences. 😉

It would be interesting to share your optimizations ... (for free). ;)
But optimizing Win10 (LTSC for me) even if it is not necessary for HQP, allows to put all the capacities of the CPU to the HQP processing.
My core i5 is 86% HQP and 88% with OS to get out of the DSD 128 ASDM7EC with a 2 cores.

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

9 hours ago, k6davis said:

What I prefer is a 3 PC setup. Each computer is optimized for and only runs one application.

• A modestly powered PC running Roon Core on Windows 10 or Windows Server, with Audiophile Optimizer if you like
  • A powerful PC running the (free) HQP OS with (not free) HQP Embedded Version
  • A micro-powered PC (like a NUC or a Pi4) running the HQP NAA image from USB

HQPlayer OS is a stripped down, zero-configuration-needed version of Linux fully optimized by Jussi to just run HQP. You can download a bootable USB image that contains both HQP OS and HQP Embedded. You configure Embedded with an easy to use web interface accessible from any device on the network. There's no need to install anything or change the hard drive on the powerful server in any way. It's reliable, stable, easy to use and sounds fantastic. You can try it out with a free trial. Until you buy an HQP Embedded license, the music stops playing after 30 minutes until you reboot the server.

For aesthetics and space savings, I use small form factor computers for both Roon Core and the NAA. 

Now that they're set up, I don't ever need to interact with any of the 3 PCs directly. None of the 3 computers even has a GUI. I use a 4th computer on the network to run the Roon client and for music library management and web surfing, YouTube, etc.

In this situation it indeed makes sense to use a 3 PC setup.

Did you have no problems installing NAA on WS2019?

How do you access the web interface for HQPlayer embedded?

Thanks, I use these elements (AO, Fidelizer, etc) and my Win10 LTSC is running with 44 processes (Roon and HQP working).
It is stable under 90% CPU load. There is a gain in directly connecting the NAA streamer in IPV6 without going through a router or a switch (+ USB-ethernet tunning).
But I can't get the latency as low as you can.
This is not necessarily problematic. Latency is important in audio production less for reproduction.
I think my Lenovo NUC is limited by its hardware even though it is super efficient considering its price.

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

13 hours ago, k6davis said:

What I prefer is a 3 PC setup. Each computer is optimized for and only runs one application.

• A modestly powered PC running Roon Core on Windows 10 or Windows Server, with Audiophile Optimizer if you like
  • A powerful PC running the (free) HQP OS with (not free) HQP Embedded Version
  • A micro-powered PC (like a NUC or a Pi4) running the HQP NAA image from USB

HQPlayer OS is a stripped down, zero-configuration-needed version of Linux fully optimized by Jussi to just run HQP. You can download a bootable USB image that contains both HQP OS and HQP Embedded. You configure Embedded with an easy to use web interface accessible from any device on the network. There's no need to install anything or change the hard drive on the powerful server in any way. It's reliable, stable, easy to use and sounds fantastic. You can try it out with a free trial. Until you buy an HQP Embedded license, the music stops playing after 30 minutes until you reboot the server.

For aesthetics and space savings, I use small form factor computers for both Roon Core and the NAA. 

Now that they're set up, I don't ever need to interact with any of the 3 PCs directly. None of the 3 computers even has a GUI. I use a 4th computer on the network to run the Roon client and for music library management and web surfing, YouTube, etc.

I'm in the same scenario. But instead of Win OS i use only GentooPlayer for all. Give it a try.

What is considered the advantage of a 3PC system?  If you have a high powered PC to run HQPlayer upsampling, why not simply run Roon on this machine as well?  In a 2PC scenario you are still separating the "noisy" high powered machine from the endpoint.  This is a genuine question by the way, I am interested in what the thinking is here.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

All depends by your setup and your CPU needs.
My ROON manages files library and Tidal for more zones, each one with volume levelling, MQA decoding, frequency conversion ecc as needed.
Browsing library has to be fluent, it depends also by the numbers of songs you have. Also you can manage fans and LPSU on low power PC.
The main zone uses HQPlayer Embedded + NAA + DAC.
To be honest, my scenario has 4 pc, as my files are all on a HP Microserver running Win Server 2012, i also have other Win machine used for work and game.
All other machines are on Gentooplayer, that solved me some compatibility problem i had with some piece of hardware.

To answer Confused, my reasons to go with the 3 PC setup and software/OS choices would be:

- The endpoint would have to provide the DAC with an as "clean" as possible signal/data. To my opinion easiest to achieve this is to minimize activities on the endpoint, so minimal a dual PC setup. During my experiments with Windows and Linux I got a preference for Windows due to the fuller sound, more body. Minimizing Windows on the endpoint would be easiest to start off with Windows Server (at least with my limited knowledge on Windows).

- For the PC doing the upsampling to go with an as pure a version of HQPlayer and to let HQPlayer to get the most out of the hardware performance wise (not to interfere with HQPlayer with other software). Therefore with a 3 PC setup I would select for this PC HQPlayer OS/Embedded.

- For the Streamer/Server for me to have some flexibility with programs, file transferal with other (Windows) PC's, possibly ripping CD's with dBpoweramp. I would select a Windows OS, most likely Windows 10.

Is it true that HQPlayer will only upsample pcm in multiples of the original sample rate? i.e. if the original file is 44.1, it will only output 88.2 even if I set the desired sample rate to 96.

Just checking as I'm trying to send 96/24 to my DAC and the sample rate using 44.1/16 original pcm file is always topping out at 88.2 (max sample rate of my DAC) using either HQPlayer desktop or embedded.  Test tone in windows shows that the DAC works fine with 96/24 outside of HQPlayer.

Thanks

On 1/12/2021 at 7:10 PM, il Carletto said:

I agree.

Ext2 + 7EC and DSD Direct on Rme sounds great here too

Thanks - was going to wait for the next gen macmini m1, but ext2, 7ec, dsf256 on my rme is definitely sufficient.

Only caveat is convolution, though just 2 channel.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hi Music lovers

I have been away for a while.  I am happy to be back.

I came looking for advice, but it seems I may also have something to contribute.🙂

HQplayer is what converted me from being a music lover to a crazy audiophile. 
Back when I was waiting for the microrendu to finish its design, the computeraudiophile designed the CAPS Pipeline. I lost my patience and small green computer built me a Pipeline, along with a HDPlex 300w ATX LPS. I was on top of the world.  After that I heard so much about the Holo Spring, I had to get one.  

(The original reason I came on here today was to get a recommendation for a filter and dither. Back then I used to just follow whatever ted_b did. to do my homework, I looked him up and I see that he has been posting. I was rewarded because he said he likes EX2 and NS5. To digress a bit, Ted, I can’t believe you still do not have your room together. 😳 also you mentioned your trusty SU-1. I am selling mine on this forum, it is the one that Energy made for himself and has five LT 3045 boards on it and anything else he could think of. You will see why soon.)

now back to our regularly scheduled program.
 I wanted to add an NAA, but the evolution of it never really settled out, so it did not happen.  In the meantime I needed a NAS and Larry recommended the QNAP HS-453DX Because it has no fan. What it also has is an Intel Celeron 4 core processor. So, I moved Roon over there.  This freed up the Pipeline to only have to process files with HQplayer. Everything sounded great. 
But then I went to the Darkside. 
I had a computer built for me with a Pink Faun Ultra OCXO clock on the motherboard and a PF I2S bridge card with the Ultra OCXO clock to deliver I2S to my Holo Spring.  It only outputs PCM with a limit of 192 kHz. And a crazy power supply with dedicated power for the CPU.

But, no more upsampling/HQPlayer and no Roon. 
well, I’ve always wondered about the NAA. What if I use my new super computer as an NAA?  (I can mix the dark and the light, like a Yin Yang.)

I still have Roon sitting, doing nothing on its NAS. I loaded Euphony and HQP Embedded 4 onto the Pipeline. And NAA/Euphony  onto my super computer, I call it the Angstrom.

So now I am using three computers.  
Roon and it’s incessant jabbering back to the mothership on the NAS > separated by an Optical Module > to the A side of an EtherRegen which is where I plugged in the Pipeline/HQP > B side > modified buffalo switch > Angstrom Computer > PF I2S > Holo Spring. 
I am using three computers, very specialized and it sounds great. So far I have only listened through headphones. Later I will listen to the full system and I will get to use the filters I made with Acourate Convolver. I am so excited😁🎶

This is why I am asking for recommendations for PCM filters and dither that will only be up sampled to 192 kHz. 
However, I have noticed that the music stops playing after every couple of songs.

It has happened with local play back/NAS and I tested that it is also happening with Qobuz. 

Hmm, any advice? Everything appears to be stable.

Thank you