IGNORED

HQ Player

My system:

ASUS X99 Deluxe MB, Intel i7 5930k CPU, 64GB RAM, nVidia GTX 990 GPU, Windows 7

First of all, CUDA offload appears to be working because I (very, very briefly) saw "offload: resampler=enabled" on the status bar.

But now, "closed-form" and "closed-form-fast" simply won't start up at DSD512. They seem to work just fine at DSD256 and lower. On beta 1, closed-form-fast worked just fine with no stuttering and closed-form would at least output stuttering sound.

Note: The application doesn't totally freeze when I attempt closed-form[-fast]/DSD512. But I have to close and re-open it for it to function again after attempting those combinations.

Same here. Closed Form or Closed Form Fast won't even start at DSD512. Also I'm not sure I saw the offload message. Running Win10 and GEForce 755m.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

But now, "closed-form" and "closed-form-fast" simply won't start up at DSD512. They seem to work just fine at DSD256 and lower. On beta 1, closed-form-fast worked just fine with no stuttering and closed-form would at least output stuttering sound.

Please check if the beta3 works. If it doesn't, please send me a log file over email so I can check if there are any hints about the reason there.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Please check if the beta3 works. If it doesn't, please send me a log file over email so I can check if there are any hints about the reason there.

Ok, just tried beta3. closed-form/DSD512 now works stutter free on my system with CUDA offload enabled (still stutters with it disabled). And it sounds pretty awesome.

Thank you so much Miska!!!

Thanks Miska, everything works fine now on Macbook Pro with beta 3. However, I continue to have problems with Win 10 with poly-sinc-*-2s, on both CUDA and non CUDA machines, either stutters or does not play through NAA, especially for DSD64 -> DSD256. Redbook works fine but I see increased CPU usage. I never had problems on Win10 non CUDA machine with 3.11. How do I send logs if that will help? I understand multiple platforms and different source rates + filters it would be impossible to test call combinations. I would do my best to help to provide you with the right information.

I can report that Beta 3 has given me perfect playback of Closed Form at DSD512. CUDA message displayed. Thanks!

Same results for the first time I can safely run DSD 512 using closed form and cpu load is minimal (about 24%). Strangely though it does not work as DSD 512 with some other filter such as poly ext. Using poly ext it locks up. I am not concerned about this as closed form works perfectly. Just by way of information as DSD 256 all the filters work without issue.

I would be interested in your comments Lionelh2 regarding the IFI DSD Micro you are using for this as you have a very high end system. Not to mention the Stax SR-009 that will show the wart on a hog.

Alas, my MacBook doesn't have an nVidia card so couldn't really test the latest beta in any meaningful way. However, I did experiment with closed form this afternoon and found something very interesting. I was listening to a recent 96/24 recording of Mozart's Requiem, up sampled to 384 kHz PCM. Along the way, I somehow selected 9th order noise shaping - and found it to be a night-and-day difference over 5th order. The sound stage deepened and a ringing around each voice disappeared. Now it really sounded like a live acoustic venue, with voices from different parts of the choir co-located in space, and it was much easier to judge who was to the front and who was to the rear. Instruments were clear and much more, well, musical. Of course, this was a decent digital download (2003, Linn Recordings, if memory serves) so being played in a non-apodising form was likely a good match, but even so.

Anyone else tried modern-day, acoustic-venue recordings and found the same thing, or am I off my head? Given the degree of improvement, I'd love to hear what 12th or 15th order sounded like (hint, hint ..) :-)

John

Probably it is JRiver's buffer, not the CoreAudio's hardware buffer... The setting in HQPlayer refers to the hardware buffer size.

With my rMBP mid 2012 I was able to set buffer size while with the latest rMBP 11,4 I just bought, that option disappeared ... I experienced myself chop audio even with easy operation for the processor ( DSD > PCM ) ...

I'm currently using laptop dac so I'm not sure if this behavior will shows with a real usb dac instead of the internal one.

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

FWIW, I tried beta 2&3 in preparation for a new video card I ordered. In both instances, playback of RB>128 or 256 seemed half speed and stuttered greatly. Changing rates did not help. This is into an Amanero card btw. Reverting to 3.11.0 took care of it both times.

FWIW, I cannot seem to find the HQP log file in Win 10. Is it relocated, hidden or am I being stupid?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I also installed the beta in order to play ROON with HQplayer - but suddenly I cannot even get HQplayer to upsample my material to DSD128 anymore. I have a Mac Mini (mid 2011, i7, 2.7GHz, 8GB memory), which until now have been able to upsample without any serious problem. But now I get stuttering for any files above CD quality.....I can play DSD files without any problem too? What has happened to the HQplayer in the last update that have made it more cumbersome for my Mac mini to use it??

I also installed the beta in order to play ROON with HQplayer - but suddenly I cannot even get HQplayer to upsample my material to DSD128 anymore. I have a Mac Mini (mid 2011, i7, 2.7GHz, 8GB memory), which until now have been able to upsample without any serious problem. But now I get stuttering for any files above CD quality.....I can play DSD files without any problem too? What has happened to the HQplayer in the last update that have made it more cumbersome for my Mac mini to use it??

Get today's update 3.12 beta 3 and it may solve your problem - a line of code was fixed

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi, i am using HQPlayer (latest beta3 with Roon integration) and one issue I've had for a while (eg with prior builds as well) is the startup time. From the time I start the application to when it is ready can be as long as 1 minute. In addition, changing settings will also freeze HQPlayer for a long period of time. My music is stored locally on a hard drive and my boot drive is an SSD. I had hoped my new build (Windows 10 64 bit) with 32 GB of memory and an i7 6700k processor will speed this up, but that has not been the case.

Has others experienced this? And anything I can do to fix?

I don't have a graphics card on this machine as it is a dedicated headless PC connected to my USB DAC, but if getting a CUDA card will help, that is also a doable solution...but I figure I should check in before ordering one to see if 1) there is an alternative solution (to avoid unnecessary heat on this fanless PC) and 2) confirm that offloading to CUDA will actually reduce the initialization times.

thanks!

Thanks firedog. Unfortunately, this is the version I already have installed. For some reason this new version of HQplayer just seem to push my CPU into 200 per cent territory for 24/192 files and leave less flexibility in terms of settings, whereas earlier versions did not have this problem....It would be a shame if I cannot play my 24/192 files integrated with ROON

Hi, i am using HQPlayer (latest beta3 with Roon integration) and one issue I've had for a while (eg with prior builds as well) is the startup time. From the time I start the application to when it is ready can be as long as 1 minute. In addition, changing settings will also freeze HQPlayer for a long period of time. My music is stored locally on a hard drive and my boot drive is an SSD. I had hoped my new build (Windows 10 64 bit) with 32 GB of memory and an i7 6700k processor will speed this up, but that has not been the case.

Has others experienced this? And anything I can do to fix?

I don't have a graphics card on this machine as it is a dedicated headless PC connected to my USB DAC, but if getting a CUDA card will help, that is also a doable solution...but I figure I should check in before ordering one to see if 1) there is an alternative solution (to avoid unnecessary heat on this fanless PC) and 2) confirm that offloading to CUDA will actually reduce the initialization times.

thanks!

Miska will give better suggestions for sure.

I fear that the slow initialization has nothing to do with how fast/powerful is your system. There must be something that is holduìing HQPlayer up.

Have you tried deleting your setup file - "HQPlayer.xml" in Users\name\AppData\Local\HQPlayer ?

Thanks firedog. Unfortunately, this is the version I already have installed. For some reason this new version of HQplayer just seem to push my CPU into 200 per cent territory for 24/192 files and leave less flexibility in terms of settings, whereas earlier versions did not have this problem....It would be a shame if I cannot play my 24/192 files integrated with ROON

Out of curiosity - do you have the same playback problem also with Roon turned off?

Gentlemen, today I've installed the latest beta of HQ Player + Roon has updated to build 88. The issue that bothers me a lot is that HQ Player has to be switched between PCM or DSD prior the playback from Roon. Is there anyone who has the same troubles? I thought that HQP will upsample anything automatically from 44/100 to DSD and will leave intact the DSD stream...

I use MBP + Auralic Vega.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

I wonder if HQplayer has just become more demanding of the processor than it was originally.....

My experience has been similar on Windows 10 without CUDA. On Mac with CUDA, things have gotten significantly better. On Windows 10 without CUDA, I am seeing almost double the CPU usage when I use poly-sync-*-2s + ASDM7 even for Redbook -> DSD256 and sometimes stutters on conversions that was working OK previously (i7 3.5GHz, 32GB RAM, no CUDA).

Miska Great job on Roon and HQPlayer integration! Enjoying Tidal through Roon and HQPlayer and being able to access my library through one interface.

One issue I have on Mac is, if HQPlayer is not in the foreground, I think its priority is decreased and it starts to stutter at times, anyone have a suggestion on how to handle this? When I travel I would like to listen to Roon + Tidal through HQPlayer through ifi iDSD, but even with light non CPU intensive work (browsing, word processing), it starts to cut in and out or stutter.