IGNORED

HQ Player

Well I finally succumbed to HQPlayer now the Roon integration is here....Wow! What took me so long? the sound is incredible - surreal. I downloaded the trial HQPlayer on my iMac last night, listening using HE560 headphones. From the off even on the iMac it sounded incredible. 24 hours later it's on my Macmini boot camp running alongside the RoonServer core under Windows 7 64 bit.

I have only tried a couple of filter settings, Poly-sinc, NS5 and Gauss1...the music sounds incredible...I just keep listening to track after track.

Okay my question, which settings will work best in my two case? Yes I know there is the manual, but any advice from seasoned HQPlayer users would be appreciated.

I run a Zodiac Platinum, using dejittered digital connection, straight into a Trinnov Amethyst, which in turn does room correction when listening to speakers. Bandwidth in this instance is 192Khz, as the Amethyst is in effect the DAC.

When listening to headphones, the Zodiac, drives my WA5le and HE-1000, and in this instance I can use 384Khz bandwidth, as the Zodiac is the DAC and can also up sample using its FPGA chip.

Should I opt for a single setting to cover both listening scenarios, or if you have any suggestions/guidance, it would be most helpful -

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Switched to closed form works fine.Won't work with poly sinc ?

I noticed that when using poly sinc filters the gpu load us very high but in my case manageable. It seems to clock in around 80% gpu load with poly sinc filters and strangely only 12-15% with closed form. The cpu load is also higher using poly sinc filters and lower with closed form? I would have expected the gpu and cpu load to be just the opposite. I suppose that fact alone could be causing some gpu to overload the CUDA offload with poly sinc filters. I suppose Miska needs to look into this.

The above was fixed, but need to figure out the stuttering issue. I will buy a license if I can figure this out...

Can you post your settings. I believe pipe lining is only useful when you have quad core cpu but do not hold me to it. If I remember correctly you are using a Lampizator with Amanero as DAC. I am using L4.5 with DSD setup but running my system on Win8.1. Can you try HQPlayer without Roon, just trying to make sure that HQP is working correctly with out Roon in the mix.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/roon-hqplayer-integration-26975/

Link for users trying to get Roon and HQPlayer working.

Redbook->HQplayer (Closed-form, ADSM7)->(DSD512 for the first time)->(NAA Audiolinux)->(Stock USB cable ifi) ->iDSD Micro->(Stock RCA, iFI) ->Oppo-HA1->LCD-3F

WOW!

Roon core and HQPlayer on MacBookPro + CUDA. iFi micro, Macbookpro and NAA running on battery.

Some combinations I have tried (ADSM7 on all):

1. No luck with Poly-sync* for Redbook->DSD512, but DSD256 works fine with higher CPU (both Win10 and Mac)
  2. 96K or 196K works with DSD128 (Dop, rate set at 6.28 MHz) both on windows and Mac.
  3. Redbook, 88.2K, 176.4K->DSD512 works on MBP + CUDA, closed-form only.
  4. Redbook->DSD256 works on HQPlayer running on Virtual Win 7 ( VMware on MBP) . I had to do this as I found this is the only way I can keep HQPlayer from stuttering if I open any other app on MBP (which I will do if I am away).
  5. Also NAA on Win10, ASIO driver is not able to handle DSD512 and stutters. DSD256 is OK. The iDSD Micro ASIO panel displays a warning and no combination of buffer size will make this go away. Not really a HQPlyaer issue, but thought I will post it in case anyone is having a problem.

I prefer Poly-sync to Closed-form so cant wait for poly-sync to be fixed in release.

In version 3.11 all filters work wth PCM to DSD.With beta 3 only closed form and closed form fast will work with PCM to DSD without stuttering.Hopefully a fix is coming ? This is on Mac Yosemite.Thanks

Apparently a MAC issue of the beta. On Windows I'm using poly sinc filters with no issues.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Apparently a MAC issue of the beta. On Windows I'm using poly sinc filters with no issues.

I'm having trouble running poly-sinc in beta3 on my Core i7 Windows Server machine. poly-sinc worked fine in 3.11.0.

Miska recently posted that he believes he knows what the issue is and he will provide an update that will fix it soon.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I experience the same problems with stuttering. I thought upgrading from i5 4590 to i7 4790k will solve the problem, but I am still not able to get any upsampling from PCM to DSD64, 128, 256 working without stuttering or clicks. The CPU load is not really high (15-40%) and I don't know where the bottleneck is.

I am using Win7 and a Merging Technologies Hapi.

I experience the same problems with stuttering. I thought upgrading from i5 4590 to i7 4790k will solve the problem, but I am still not able to get any upsampling from PCM to DSD64, 128, 256 working without stuttering or clicks. The CPU load is not really high (15-40%) and I don't know where the bottleneck is.

Do you have the same difficulties with the official version 3.11.0 and with the current beta version (beta3)? If not, a fix is in the works for the beta that might help.

I run a less powerful Core i7 than you and I have no trouble upsampling to any input to DSD128 or DSD256 with poly-sinc - in HQP version 3.11.0.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Hi all, I have 2 questions:

first, I'm having trouble using the convolution-feature.

I use mono wav files generated with acourate but when I enable it in the matrix section, HQ immediately crashes and I'm only able to get it to start again by switching off my DAC (Lampi DSD only).

Then a window appears saying no audio device selected, check settings.

I tried ASIO as well as Wasapi, no luck.

Direct SDM is unchecked, HQ crashes with the last stable version as well as with the new beta.

Any ideas or could somebody post his settings using the DRC feature?

(I'm using CAPS Pipeline with WS2012)

Second, is there a technically/theoretically best combination of settings for my particular DAC , knowing that it is basically just a LPF with added output stage?

BTW, roon and HQ runs pretty smoothly together here, great!

Consultant to Taiko Audio

Same here with my Mac Mini and new build. Stutters like heck, polysinc, now where I had absolutely no problems at all with older build. I'll prob. just go back till this version gets worked out.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Rookie question and sorry its off topic of latest posts. I want to try HQplayer beta with my roon subscription but I see on signalyst page that the mac osx version in trial mode works continuously for 30 minutes, really only 30 minutes, then what do I do. I also see the windows trial version works for 30 days. I remember when I tried audirvana 1.5x it was for a 14 day trial. Is this 30 minute continuous playing true?

Rookie question and sorry its off topic of latest posts. I want to try HQplayer beta with my roon subscription but I see on signalyst page that the mac osx version in trial mode works continuously for 30 minutes, really only 30 minutes, then what do I do. I also see the windows trial version works for 30 days. I remember when I tried audirvana 1.5x it was for a 14 day trial. Is this 30 minute continuous playing true?

Hello Quadman,

Then you relaunch HQPlayer for another 30 minutes. Then you relaunch HQPlayer for another 30 minutes, then you...Once you purchase a license, you launch HQPlayer forever (smile)...

Enjoy HQPlayer.

Best,

Richard

Thanks @REShaman, thats what I was guessing but it still seems like a PIA, considering windows users get 30 days and the Audirvana worked fine for 2 weeks. Mac's get no love and reboot every 30 mins. It better be worth it, but lots of people say wow after hearing.

Be well

John

first, I'm having trouble using the convolution-feature.

I use mono wav files generated with acourate but when I enable it in the matrix section, HQ immediately crashes and I'm only able to get it to start again by switching off my DAC (Lampi DSD only).

Then a window appears saying no audio device selected, check settings.

I tried ASIO as well as Wasapi, no luck.

Direct SDM is unchecked, HQ crashes with the last stable version as well as with the new beta.

Any ideas or could somebody post his settings using the DRC feature?

(I'm using CAPS Pipeline with WS2012)

Can you send me email with screenshot of your convolution engine/matrix settings and the filter file you are trying to use?

Is this with or without Roon and what type of source content?

Second, is there a technically/theoretically best combination of settings for my particular DAC , knowing that it is basically just a LPF with added output stage?

Since I haven't tested it on my measurement bench, I don't have exhaustive answer to that. Try either ASDM5 or ASDM7 modulator with poly-sinc family of filters. You can also try the closed-form filter, but then the results depend more on the source material.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

With 4790K you should enable Pipeline SDM.

I assume this is with ASIO backend and AltDSD checked? Does it have ASIO control panel, and if so, what is the buffer size setting there? If there's no buffer size setting the ASIO control panel (or no control panel), then you can also try to set Buffer Time in HQPlayer to 100 ms.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks @REShaman, thats what I was guessing but it still seems like a PIA, considering windows users get 30 days and the Audirvana worked fine for 2 weeks. Mac's get no love and reboot every 30 mins. It better be worth it, but lots of people say wow after hearing.

Be well

John

John,

Thank you for your kind words. I, too, went through that routine early on with the trial version. Would have preferred Jussi changed that routine and just allowed the trial to work for a period of days and then go dark. Though in my experience, it did not take me long to assess the program and then apply the cure.

Enjoy the music and Happy Holiday while doing so.

Best,

Richard

Okay this seems strange, I just downloaded the beta version of HQplayer and when I opened the dmg file it did not "install" to my applications folder. Actually I was never asked where do I want to install, it just opened. When I close out of it, HQ player, I have to go back to my downloads folder to reopen as it is not in my applications folder. Never had that happen before with a downloaded program. At work now so I cannot see if I can get music to play roon-HQplayer for my 30 minute timeframe. Weird.

Okay this seems strange, I just downloaded the beta version of HQplayer and when I opened the dmg file it did not "install" to my applications folder. Actually I was never asked where do I want to install, it just opened. When I close out of it, HQ player, I have to go back to my downloads folder to reopen as it is not in my applications folder. Never had that happen before with a downloaded program. At work now so I cannot see if I can get music to play roon-HQplayer for my 30 minute timeframe. Weird.

That's the way it is - Miska doesn't figure you need a hint to open the dmg file and drag the app to your Applications folder.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.