IGNORED

SOTM USB card vs PPAstudio USB Card v2

Inbest

Hi

As far as i know this is not the case, but i wil check with PPA and let you all know.

The PPA card does use the power of the PCIe slot if no external power is connected. If you do connect an external power supply, the card will automatically use the external power supply for itself and the connected DAC/DDC.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

The PPA card does use the power of the PCIe slot if no external power is connected. If you do connect an external power supply, the card will automatically use the external power supply for itself and the connected DAC/DDC.

GREAT to know. So even if the connected dac does not need USB power, providing an external power supply to the PPA card could help?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

GREAT to know. So even if the connected dac does not need USB power, providing an external power supply to the PPA card could help?

Exactly. BUT, it's still way more important to have clean power to your OS SSD :)

____________________________________________________________________________________

In my opionion having clean power for the OS disk is the most important hardware related tweak at all (i have tried a few things).

I still dont understand why clean power or a PPA SATA cable will help...but I dont really care as long as it improves the sound. I am actually looking to powering my SSD and USB with an external linear PSU. I just need to make the dual headed cable next. Wish me luck

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi to all, I like this section... :-)

As technical newbie I am still wondering if the PP V2 card is working or not with the Mac OS.

I wrote him asking this and he wrote me back:

"Hi,

V2 card need no driver for Linux,Mac OS,Win8.

Thanks!

Regards

Pang.Kai-Yu"

What is he meaning..? The same question about the new usb card from J CAT... no technical information on the HP.

Mi set up is mac mini latest model, with two keces 116, one for MB, one for internal SSD and HD music storage, and no fan. Dac is Msb Analog+ Power Base.

Thank you

Alex

Hi to all, I like this section... :-)

As technical newbie I am still wondering if the PP V2 card is working or not with the Mac OS.

I wrote him asking this and he wrote me back:

"Hi,

V2 card need no driver for Linux,Mac OS,Win8.

Thanks!

Regards

Pang.Kai-Yu"

What is he meaning..? The same question about the new usb card from J CAT... no technical information on the HP.

Mi set up is mac mini latest model, with two keces 116, one for MB, one for internal SSD and HD music storage, and no fan. Dac is Msb Analog+ Power Base.

Thank you

Alex

Hi Alex,

These are the current gold standards for audio USB cards, but are all Win based.

JCAT card is based on an NEC uDP720201 - built by Adnaco

SoTM card uses a TI chip tusb7320 - designed from the ground up for audio. SoTM also has filters on the PCIe pins.

PPA card is based on NEC chip uPD720202 - homebrew with standard USB card

Someone tried the SoTM with a NEC driver on a Mac but it did not work for audio. Lechu has loaded a generic kext on a non-audio pcie-USB card.

The one thing to keep in mind though is that you would need another motherboard, since the Mini does not have a PCIe slot. Going with some other translation from e.g. Thunderbolt to PCIe is possible but likely defeats the purpose. Let me know if you decide to experiment as that is one of the last things to make a Mac close to a CAPS.

Cheers

I Tranz thank you for your answer.

I really enjoyed your tread about mac mini caps.. :-)

I followed your instructions quite step by step, and confirm that the result is very very good.

Really interesting!!

Now I have a partially diassembled mac mini, upside down, with Keces 12v for mains and another Keces for the 5v line for internal osd, now external.

No fans, no wifi, bluetooth infrared etc.

I am considering Streacom also.

Remains for me now to do the last step, the sound card ...

and here there are two ways:

sound card usb interface through sonnet thundernolt

or Rme HDSPe, but it is sol spdif / XLR 16 channel ......

I wonder if there is another way ..

I would also be willing to change motherboard .. But I do not like windows ..

Can you give me advice on how to proceed?

Best regard's

Alex

(I am running A+, have G tech 4TB external TB drive, and MsB Dac)

I Tranz thank you for your answer.

I really enjoyed your tread about mac mini caps.. :-)

I followed your instructions quite step by step, and confirm that the result is very very good.

Really interesting!!

Now I have a partially diassembled mac mini, upside down, with Keces 12v for mains and another Keces for the 5v line for internal osd, now external.

No fans, no wifi, bluetooth infrared etc.

I am considering Streacom also.

Remains for me now to do the last step, the sound card ...

and here there are two ways:

sound card usb interface through sonnet thundernolt

or Rme HDSPe, but it is sol spdif / XLR 16 channel ......

I wonder if there is another way ..

I would also be willing to change motherboard .. But I do not like windows ..

Can you give me advice on how to proceed?

Best regard's

Alex

(I am running A+, have G tech 4TB external TB drive, and MsB Dac)

Hi Alex,

Very nice. Sounds like you have done a lot of tinkering!

You would be breaking new ground with using an external Sonnet box with a sound card. RME and Lynx are good cards with SPDIF output via AES. If that is your input on the MSB. Not sure if it would sound better as I have never heard of anyone actually testing it.

Using an SoTM in a Sonnett for an USB output is also new ground. Will it even be recognized by the Mac? Doubtful. Will it sound better? Do you have an USB MSB input, as I was not happy with that.

I thought about these options, but it seemed like an expensive experiment and never actually tried it.

Another option is a streamer where a LAN connection is used. I have heard, since you have an MSB, that they are working on something. Perhaps wait before spending more on a Sonnett/Sotm/RME card.

Regarding another mobo, check with lechu as he used an older MacBook Pro motherboard that had a PCie slot. He modified a USB-PCIe card and liked the results. But I am not sure whether he uses an IFI USB to clean up noise, which is a cost effective bit of kit.

Windows is a whole different setup with more flexibility. The only reason to stay Mac is if you like Audivarna or Amarra.

A little side note, please be careful with not overheating if you have removed the fan. I run heattubing and it still runs on the warm side; around 60-65C.

Cheers

Hi Tranz

thank you for your detailled answer !!

Yesterday I asked about MAC OS Maverick/ J Cat usb card.. compatibility.

They answered to me:

"Hi Alex,

I'm not sure to be honest if this works. It depends if xhci driver is available on the Mac OS version you use. "

I'am not a computer freak... someone can help or explain better..?

I've a question regarding PPA USB card (also applies for SoTM). I don't want to use a PCI/E riser card at all for my music server build. I've heard it might degrade performance.

What determines that I can get away without using a riser card? What motherboard/chassis should I use? Does motherboard form factor (micro ATX/mini ITX) matters? Can anyone provide some example build (motherboard/chassis) that didn't require riser card to install PPA usb card? It'd be really helpful to get the info.

I think your worried about something no one here can hear. Relax and build the unit. There is just to many special heating people making claims that I feel are just not true. However if you insist use a normal CPU case not a low profile one. And try it both ways and post what you hear

al

I've a question regarding PPA USB card (also applies for SoTM). I don't want to use a PCI/E riser card at all for my music server build. I've heard it might degrade performance.

What determines that I can get away without using a riser card? What motherboard/chassis should I use? Does motherboard form factor (micro ATX/mini ITX) matters? Can anyone provide some example build (motherboard/chassis) that didn't require riser card to install PPA usb card? It'd be really helpful to get the info.

No Riser needed: http://www.highend-audiopc.com/PDF/hardware-setup.pdf

Hi do ypu mean also a Sonnet thunderbolt / Pciei nterface will degrade the sound..?

someone tried it..?

I read following suggestions from core audio page:

"Remember the Thunderbolt Expansion chassis? This opens up several possibilities that can take the Mac Mini to new heights.

Sound Cards: Adding a PCIe sound card can bring your sound to new heights and totally eliminate the hardware-born noise that spawns within the Mac Mini. I don't recommend a USB Card mainly because many those USB outputs get converted to SPDIF down the chain anyway. So skip the conversion and grab a high-quality SPDIF or AES sound card with clock input. My experience with the RME HDSPe AES and AIO has been very promising. I highly recommend using an external clock with these cards as their internal clocks are mediocre at best.

Further benefits of this sound card application are numerous. For one, the card is powered separately from the Mac Mini. So better power supply and total isolation of this card pays dividends in terms of sound quality."

• 2 weeks later...
A question to be asked on JPlay's JCAT forum?

Btw, it's probably worth posting here that a few of us (so far) have found our computers hang at the Post screen with the JCat card and certain Gigabyte boards (Z68, Z87). Gigabyte tested the card and couldn't replicate it. Remains a puzzle (and money wasted on shipping).

All compatibility issues have been solved and the JCAT USB card should work fine with all motherboards now.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

All compatibility issues have been solved and the JCAT USB card should work fine with all motherboards now.

That is great to know! I am buying the USB card!!!!

Just curious, what was the issue? Hardware or software?

Other components:

In my opionion having clean power for the OS disk is the most important hardware related tweak at all (i have tried a few things).

Jcat just came with a battery PSU for the OS disk and their USB card:

JCATimage.jpg

It is made by Bakoon, so most likely it looks like this inside:

BPS02_4.jpg

If the difference is as big as some ppl claim, I think I will give it a shot.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3