IGNORED

SOTM USB card vs PPAstudio USB Card v2

Inbest

A question to be asked on JPlay's JCAT forum?

Btw, it's probably worth posting here that a few of us (so far) have found our computers hang at the Post screen with the JCat card and certain Gigabyte boards (Z68, Z87). Gigabyte tested the card and couldn't replicate it. Remains a puzzle (and money wasted on shipping).

A question to be asked on JPlay's JCAT forum?

Btw, it's probably worth posting here that a few of us (so far) have found our computers hang at the Post screen with the JCat card and certain Gigabyte boards (Z68, Z87). Gigabyte tested the card and couldn't replicate it. Remains a puzzle (and money wasted on shipping).

I also had it hang on Intel DH77DF board. No matter what instructions Marcin gave me, it didn't work. He did send me another board and that one too didn't work. There is a compatibility issue between the JCAT card and some MOBO. However, fortunate for me I have two servers for two different locations and the Micro version of the Intel one I listed above loaded with no problem. I compared the JCAT to the SOTM and PPA V1 and when set up properly, I will take the JCAT. I am using Core Audio Kaia LPS with it and it sounds spectacular. If you get it up and running experiment with the filtering. I found no filtering to be the winning ticket.

So the message is, those of you wanting a JCAT, make sure your MOBO is compatible. Those building a server, make sure the MOBO you choose, works.

Good comment. I've been using the Core Audio Kora LPS with the SOtM PCI card, and just received a Lightspeed USB cable (standard version). After buying the latter (used), however, I've found a used PS Audio PWD with Bridge at a really good price, with the idea of comparing an ethernet connection to my A/V dedicated HDD with the just mentioned combo. It'd be nice to be able to get rid of all that hardware.

Priaptor

Could you clarify - you said the Micro version worked of the Intel board above (Intel DH77DF ?) which is a mini-ITX board. Did you mean the DH77EB (Zuma) micro-ATX worked?

What are the exact models of the one that worked and the one that didn't?

The DH77EB which is the Zuma works without a problem. It is the smaller MOBO the DF that I could not get past the BIOS screen.

NO ISSUES with standard ZUMA as Chris spec'd out.

The JCAT IMHO is THE card all others should be compared to. I have used all three and the JCAT rules especially with the Kaia LPS.

Interesting that there's another user review online (CA?) that agreed with you until the Kaia was added, then saying the SOtM won it hands down. Different systems, different ears, different USB cables.

My Z68 and the others I think are full ATX size.

I believe that was me. Initially the SOTM was the better card UNTIL I roved the filters from the JCAT. Big difference!!

• 2 weeks later...
You need 5 volts to be regulated . And then it's fine

Ok Al, maybe its a better solution sticking to one of ppas options with linear psu, regulators pico etc. I have mini atx inside my evo fc5 so Im not sure if there is enough space inside chassy, and also the linear psu are so damn big.. not really high on the WAF.

On ppa's webpage I se a pic of the psu and inside its a regultor module included. Is more the better? What does the regulator do anyways and I see pics of computers with several regulators, why isnt 1 "enough"?

Al, have you any experience with sotm sata filter or the like?

Talking about a regulated 5 volts, I'm curious about a situation that in one form or another we've all probably encountered. Let's say you're using a dual-ended USB cable and turn off the SOtM PCI card's switch for the purpose of swapping dacs, but you have't shut down the computer (which would in principle be the safest way). That means the card's power port is still active (5v?), even if there's nothing playing (the switch only kills the data port). To what degree is such a cable swap apt to cause problems or worse for a dac (I have a PS Audio PWD, but am asking generally)? Would it matter whether the power to the card is coming from a PSU or from an LPS that has voltage set for the card? What about the other way, switching or unplugging/replugging USB cables feeding the same dac?

Good question. My ps audio needs to be rebooted if I take the cable out and then reinsert it. My msb platinum flipped out and list the USB and I had to reinstall the firmware. I think we are in right sea wit the stuff and go me I shut things down including battery packs and external linear psu , s.

Its best all around. And sorry I only play with PPA stuff. Some say the other cards are better his are cheap and seem tondo an amazing job if running serv 2012 and the audio optimizer. The DS never sounded so good in core mode. Truly very good.

Al

All depends on DACs, USB Cards, USB Drivers, etc.

Using the JCAT USB card I can pull the usb cable from the Meitner MA1 and plug it into the Lamp Big7 with everything running with no problems.

Just need to remember to connect the external 5v to the JCAT when I go the other way from Big7 to MA1 which needs the 5v feed.

Cheers, Pearse.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

You need 5 volts to be regulated . And then it's fine

Got my PPA USB card today. Installed it in a free slot, connected it to one of the free molex connector from atx/Pico and booted Windows (Win 8.1). Couldn't see the card in Device Manager even after scanning for hardware changes several times as suggested at PPA website. Checked BIOS to see if there were any settings disabling PCIe ports, but no. At last I tried one of the ports on the card and it worked. Firts I tried a regular USB memory stick, then my 2 USB DACs (Audiolab CDQ and ADG M7). Under device manager ->View by connection->[PCI Express Root Complex> there is a High Definition Audio Controller] which was an exlamation mark on it but Im not sure if this is the same device or something else. I tried removing the card and reboot but the device is still there so I guess this is something native to the Motherboard (ASUS B85M-G)

I run the driver setup, but I guess they are not in use by the card.

Anyways, the card works, but Im not sure if atm without the drivers in place it's just working only as a regular USB extention card. Couldn't detect any sonic enhancements but its hard to A/B between turning of computer/switch USB port/boot computer using speakers.

Next step would be to upgrade with linear psu etc but I want to know if I will be utilizing the card potential before I do so.

You can't see the card in device manager, that's totally normal behavior. But you will see it's Root Hubs, etc. in Device Manager, have a look under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

The other device is still persistent because it has no relation to the USB card, it's most likely something of your CPU (integrated graphics) or probably your graphic card's HDMI output.

The PPA card does not need any drivers if used with Windows Server 2012/R2 since this OS brings native USB 3.0 support. But one can still install the Renesas drivers if he wants to.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

You can't see the card in device manager, that's totally normal behavior. But you will see it's Root Hubs, etc. in Device Manager, have a look under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

The other device is still persistent because it has no relation to the USB card, it's most likely something of your CPU (integrated graphics) or probably your graphic card's HDMI output.

The PPA card does not need any drivers if used with Windows Server 2012/R2 since this OS brings native USB 3.0 support. But one can still install the Renesas drivers if he wants to.

Thanks for your reply audioPhil,

So if I understand correctly its working as intended, but to get the real sonic enhancements I need linear psu, transformers and even batteries.

Hi

yes it's working as expected, all good. You only need an lps/battery for the card if the device you connect it with needs to be powered through the card. If your DAC/DDC is powered separately, no need to have extra separated power for the card.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi

yes it's working as expected, all good. You only need an lps/battery for the card if the device you connect it with needs to be powered through the card. If your DAC/DDC is powered separately, no need to have extra separated power for the card.

Forgive me Phil if this is a dumb question but even if the DAC is powered separately wont the USB card benefit from an LPS? Doesnt the USB card need some power anyway just to operate even if its not powering a DAC?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I've been looking at these pictures from the standpoint of the JCAT USB card. Some of us, e.g., those with Gigabyte Z68 boards, have been stymied because booting with it can't get past the Post screen (had to go back to a SOtA PCI). But these risers still all look like they'd be attached to a PCI-e port, which seems to be where the hang up is. Btw, is a fan really necessary for a USB audio card in an air cooled environment?

I have a Gigabyte Z77 mobo and have been wondering if the JCat USB will work with it.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Go over to the JCAT forum JCAT USB card | JCAT | Forum | JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows. Start with post 298 (aleg). Here and there until near the end you'll see posts about inability to get past Post. Some are Gigabyte Z68 and some are other mobos. JCAT board allegedly at Gigabyte for testing, but no solution yet, or they haven't found anything.

Yeah I've read that thread. Unfortunately not much useful info. I'm just going to buy the Jcat and see what happens. There is a two week return period so I have nothing to lose other than shipping.

Other components: