IGNORED

Cello Music?

I love the sound of the cello. So, I'd appreciate some suggestions from the group.

Bach's Cello Suites: I have Yo Yo Ma's version -- unfortunately an iTunes download. Is there a Pablo Casals version with good sound? Any other versions worth trying?

I have a copy of Dvorak's Cello Concerto, and I may pick up the one discussed in the Album of the Evening thread.

I picked up a copy of Jewish Cello Masterpieces on a whim. It's really beautiful.

Any other suggestions?

Given that Casal's recording are from the 1930s you won't find anything that sounds anywhere close to hifi. But if you can live with tape noise, Casals is bearable sonically.

Otherwise we had an entire thread on the Bach suites here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/bach-cello-suites-16335/

My favorite most of the time is Isserlis, the same from the recent Dvorak concerto.

Other beautiful and well known cello concertos were written by Haydn, Schumann, Boccherini and Elgar.

You also have the sonatas for cello and piano, e.g. by Beethoven and Brahms.

Among my favorite cellists are Jacqueline du Pré, Steven Isserlis, Sol Gabetta (check out her Progetto Vivaldi where she plays the Four Seasons on a cello), and Janos Starker.

I mostly listen to Jazz and there is a Vancouver based Jazz Cellist named Peggy Lee who I listen to and enjoy quite a bit. It is mostly ensemble stuff that she does but some interesting music featuring cello including a collaboration with a Taiko band (Uzume Taiko - Chirashi) which is quite interesting.

Given that Casal's recording are from the 1930s you won't find anything that sounds anywhere close to hifi. But if you can live with tape noise, Casals is bearable sonically.

My favorite most of the time is Isserlis, the same from the recent Dvorak concerto.

Other beautiful and well known cello concertos were written by Haydn, Schumann, Boccherini and Elgar.

Among my favorite cellists are Jacqueline du Pré, Steven Isserlis, Sol Gabetta (check out her Progetto Vivaldi where she plays the Four Seasons on a cello), and Janos Starker.

Which of du Pré's recordings would you recommend - SQ-wise and performance-wise?

Which of du Pré's recordings would you recommend - SQ-wise and performance-wise?

I know that HDTracks has quite a number of 24/96 remasters, which I've never heard.

I have this box, bought back in the 90s.

Amazon.com: Favorite Cello Concertos: Music

Musically I can recommend it fully, especially for the Haydn. And for most of the other concerto's her very lyrical tone, which is very much like singing, makes them worth checking out.

Sound quality wise it is more than ok, not really audiophile to my ears though.

I also seem to remember that somebody recommended the Elgar 24 bit remaster in the "Recordings To Die For" thread. So they must have done something right.

For du Pre, I think her early EMI recordings of the Elgar and Delius Concerto are fabulous (my copies are original vinyl - EMI ASD644 and ASD655 - early labels and I also have the EMI SACD issue). Also the recording with Stephen Bishop (nee Kovacevich) on EMI HQS vinyl. I think most of du Pre's recordings are also on CD - have not heard them in that format.

There are a large number of great cellists not yet mentioned - the old ones include Emanuel Feuermann (before 1940), Gregor Piatigorsky (some RCA SACD's) and Pierre Fournier (through the '60's), Mstislav Rostropovich (long career, earlier is generally better), Daniel Shafran (underrated). Then moving up a bit is Lynn Harrell (contemporary of Yo-Yo Ma), Anner Bylsma (baroque cello - great Bach cello suites recording), Steve Isserlis (who has been mentioned). Some young cellists include Gauthier Capucon, Alisa Weilerstein and Han-Na Chang (who is doing more conducting these days). I've seen the last four plus Ma and Pieter Wispelwey play in concerts in the last two or three years - all in London.

A couple more cello pieces not yet mentioned - the Brahms Double Concerto (he didn't write a cello concerto, but this is close). My favorite is the Bruno Walter on Columbia with Pierre Fournier playing cello. Also the Walton Cello concerto is very fine. Piatigorsky's performance on RCA is a favorite.

Also lots of cello chamber music - Brahms and Beethoven Cello/Piano Sonatas, the Franck Cello (originally violin) Sonata are a few.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

There are a large number of great cellists not yet mentioned - the old ones include Emanuel Feuermann (before 1940), Gregor Piatigorsky (some RCA SACD's) and Pierre Fournier (through the '60's), Mstislav Rostropovich (long career, earlier is generally better), Daniel Shafran (underrated). Then moving up a bit is Lynn Harrell (contemporary of Yo-Yo Ma), Anner Bylsma (baroque cello - great Bach cello suites recording), Steve Isserlis (who has been mentioned). Some young cellists include Gauthier Capucon, Alisa Weilerstein and Han-Na Chang (who is doing more conducting these days). I've seen the last four plus Ma and Pieter Wispelwey play in concerts in the last two or three years - all in London.

Agree on all of those. I just didn't want to make it too big a list for a newcomer. I'm otherwise happy to add to the younger generation Ophélie Gaillard, who has done a very nice recent recording of the Brahms Cello Suites, Jean-Guilhen Queyras, and Truls Mork, who with Chailly, Vadim Repin, and the Leipzig Gewandhaus has made one of the best recent recordings of the Brahms Double Concerto.

Piatigorsky has written a brilliant autobiography by the way, which unfortunately is out of print in English, but it is now legally available online:

Cellist, Gregor Piatigorsky's Autobiography

In this he describes his life from Russia via Berlin to the US, and him working with Rubinstein, Heifetz etc.

Of course, probably the best known and most loved cello piece to the world at large is Saint-Saëns' Le Cygne (The Swan) from the Carnival of the Animals. Choose your performance - all the greats have done it.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Cello is certainly one of my favorite instruments.

For Bach, I would explore the Janos Starker performance. But also Pieter Wispelwey is among my favorites.

The Haydn Cello Concertos are also very worthwhile listening to. The performance of Wendy Warner is top. You get as a bonus a very nice recording of cello concerto from a fairly unknown composer Mysliveček.

For Dvorak, I enjoy listening to Pieter Wispelwey and the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra. It comes with a number of other lesser known works on Cello.

Regards,

Arno.

I know that HDTracks has quite a number of 24/96 remasters, which I've never heard.

I have this box, bought back in the 90s.

Amazon.com: Favorite Cello Concertos: Music

Musically I can recommend it fully, especially for the Haydn. And for most of the other concerto's her very lyrical tone, which is very much like singing, makes them worth checking out.

Sound quality wise it is more than ok, not really audiophile to my ears though.

I also seem to remember that somebody recommended the Elgar 24 bit remaster in the "Recordings To Die For" thread. So they must have done something right.

I just read a nice quote from Rostropovitch who allegedly refused to re-record Elgar (after a very early recording in the 1920s) after hearing du Pré playing because he felt she just "owned" the piece.

And now for something completely different:

cover.jpgChamber Music (Ballake Sissoko and Vincent Segal album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ballaké Sissoko & Vincent Segal - Chamber Music

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I enjoy this one from HDTT:

Shostakovich Cello Sonata in D minor op.40 (Title: Shostakovich Sonata in D minor op.40 for Cello and Piano)

Daniel Shafran, Cello Lydia Pecherskaya, Piano

Source used for Transfer: 5ips 2-track tape

Recording Info: Recorded by RCA 1961

Shostakovich Cello Sonata in D minor op.40 / 24/192

Here is one, also from HDTT, that I haven't heard but might try sometime when I'm in the mood:

Cello & Piano Music By Delius, Bridge & Bach 24/192

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I have the 2 Cellos CD, and find it interesting, unique, and enjoyable.

Ultimately, it seems somewhat "gimmicky" for lack of a better word. It also isn't the best recording.

There is a boatload of talent exhibited.

In any case, its uniqueness alone, makes it a great purchase. It is a pretty cool album to listen to, just not a top-notch recording sonically, in my opinion.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

Here are some more, top ranking for both performance & fidelity from my library in no particular order:

Ray Brown-Jazz Cello

Jordi Savall/Hesperion XXI-Tous Le Matin Du Monde/Dix Ans Après

Oscar Pettiford-All The Things You Are

Luigi Piovano-Bach Cello Suites

Sam Jones-Visitation

Pieter Wispelwey & Florigellium-Antonio Vivaldi 6 Cello Suites

Harry Babasin-These Foolish Things

Maria Kliegel-Schumann Cello Concerto in A Minor

The London Cello Sound

Dave Holland:Life Cycle-Resolution

Piatigorsky has written a brilliant autobiography by the way, which unfortunately is out of print in English, but it is now legally available online:

Cellist, Gregor Piatigorsky's Autobiography

A simple question and it could cost me a fortune. Thank's for all of the great recommendations.

I did a quick search, and Piatigorsky's autobiography is available online.

I just read a nice quote from Rostropovitch who allegedly refused to re-record Elgar (after a very early recording in the 1920s) after hearing du Pré playing because he felt she just "owned" the piece.

FYI, the Elgar Du Pré just made it into the 2013 Stereophile Recordings To Die For.

2013 Records To Die For Page 2 | Stereophile.com

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

A simple question and it could cost me a fortune. Thank's for all of the great recommendations.

I did a quick search, and Piatigorsky's autobiography is available online.

Well, I for one thank you for asking questions like this and hope you'll continue as the spirit moves you. Now to complicate this a little more, do you like the sound of a viola da gamba? If you haven't explored this, you may enjoy some of the baroque compositions of M Sainte Columbe and Marin Marais performed by artists such as Jordi Savall and Hille Perl, both masters in my amateur opinion. You might find this a good place to begin:

Tous Les Matins Du Monde - Original Soundtrack / Jordi Savall | ArkivMusic

[...] do you like the sound of a viola da gamba? If you haven't explored this, you may enjoy some of the baroque compositions of M Sainte Columbe and Marin Marais performed by artists such as Jordi Savall and Hille Perl, both masters in my amateur opinion. You might find this a good place to begin:

Tous Les Matins Du Monde - Original Soundtrack / Jordi Savall | ArkivMusic

That one was already mentioned earlier in this thread. I was going to point out the difference but then thought it probably isn't worth the hair splitting. In any case, from Hille Perl, Sainte Colombe: Retrouvé & Changé is really beautiful.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I am going to get it as I start being a bit tired of J. DuPré's reference version. I have nothing against DuPré/Barbirolli, but I have just listened to it too many times. I heard a bit of Queyras' interpretation (of the Elgar) on the ratio a couple of weeks ago, and he sounded very different from DuPré.

the Pieter Wispelwey version is my favourite, fantastic well recorded and played.

portada%2Bbach%2Bcello.jpg

is