IGNORED

Auralic Aries UPnP Renderer: Double DSD Over Wi-Fi

Let me try and answer that. To download new music, the Lightning app would have it's own built in browser and any downloads from the internet would automatically be loaded to the USB hard drive connected to the Aries.

Thanks for your opinion.

I have several ideas as to how this would work, but I'm honestly interested in what people think their ideal situation is.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, I'm a big fan of your audio review site, have been for several years now.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

I did inquire about Weiss Saracon-DSD.

The cost of the software is $2075 including shipping. You’ll receive a USB dongle containing the license as well as the software disc. Usually they can ship within 3-5 business days as we must order them from Switzerland. If you wish to order a copy then please let me know.

I will not be doing this!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I did inquire about Weiss Saracon-DSD.

I will not be doing this!

And the Korg MR-1 and MR-2 DSD recorders, including Korg's Audiogate conversion software start at $100 on eBay. Hmm.

Sounds like a better deal that Saracon DSD!

And the Korg MR-1 and MR-2 DSD recorders, including Korg's Audiogate conversion software start at $100 on eBay. Hmm.

Sounds like a better deal that Saracon DSD!

I've pretty much decided that I'm not going to do any of it. Mr. Wang needs to get DSD64 up-sampling done and I'll take it from there. The amount of different opinions on this stuff is nuts. First step is to get the ARIES and see what it's like compared to the Mac Mini. That would be a good place to start. :-) 1131 replies to something that nobody has even installed in their system except for one person. LOLOL. We're a nutty bunch.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Yuck!

Why "Yuck"? I want to separate it completely from the PC and would like it even more streamlined. Just attach a USB HD and use an iPad (or Android) app to control. I can do it now with my SBT but its a Royal PITA to add new music. Better yet, have the attached HD show up on the network. Simplicity. Only streaming would be internet radio.

And make it the size of a deck of cards. Who wants another big box?

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I've pretty much decided that I'm not going to do any of it. Mr. Wang needs to get DSD64 up-sampling done and I'll take it from there. The amount of different opinions on this stuff is nuts. First step is to get the ARIES and see what it's like compared to the Mac Mini. That would be a good place to start. :-) 1131 replies to something that nobody has even installed in their system except for one person. LOLOL. We're a nutty bunch.

+1

Although I am waiting to see what you, Ted, Chris, and others think of it before buying in.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Why "Yuck"? I want to separate it completely from the PC and would like it even more streamlined. Just attach a USB HD and use an iPad (or Android) app to control. I can do it now with my SBT but its a Royal PITA to add new music. Better yet, have the attached HD show up on the network. Simplicity. Only streaming would be internet radio.

And make it the size of a deck of cards. Who wants another big box?

Really what is the difference between storing your music on a nas and an old used mac mini ? Nothing that I can see.

Really what is the difference between storing your music on a nas and an old used mac mini ? Nothing that I can see.
Depends on the NAS... the MAC Mini is likely to win hands down on CPU, and RAM horsepower at the low end of price and storage capability. On the other hand a purpose built NAS with good hardware architecture and software should allow better fidelity than a MAC mini because its optimized as a file server. Good NAS's with dual processor architecture and drives will cost you more than a basic MAC mini but support a 4 drive RAID

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

As I consider buying an Aries there are really 3 points of evaluation I want to see opinions on beyond overall fidelity before buying

1) how good is the remote app GUI for a library view?

2) what is the fidelity difference between the base model and the model with enhanced clocks/power supply

3) how does it compare against the nearest price point competitors

hopefully next month will see road test opinions. The volume of thread comments prelaunch also is a strong signal that there is pent up market demand for an excellent standalone streamer in the $1K ~$2k price range.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

As I consider buying an Aries there are really 3 points of evaluation I want to see opinions on beyond overall fidelity before buying

1) how good is the remote app GUI for a library view?

2) what is the fidelity difference between the base model and the model with enhanced clocks/power supply

3) how does it compare against the nearest price point competitors

hopefully next month will see road test opinions. The volume of thread comments prelaunch also is a strong signal that there is pent up market demand for an excellent standalone streamer in the $1K ~$2k price range.

Hu Davide256,

I have the same questions as you;

Concerning the first point it's very good that the product remains "open" in architechture so you can still use it with control apps you already own and like (like Lumin, working with servers such as Synology or Minimserver).

This is quite a departure from other folks that developed their (excelent) apps but keep them locked to their software and hardware ecosystem, and I am thinking Aurender and Meridian.

Hu Davide256,

I have the same questions as you;

Concerning the first point it's very good that the product remains "open" in architechture so you can still use it with control apps you already own and like (like Lumin, working with servers such as Synology or Minimserver).

This is quite a departure from other folks that developed their (excelent) apps but keep them locked to their software and hardware ecosystem, and I am thinking Aurender and Meridian.

GUI is my major point of dissatisfaction with the Oppo I'm using now

1) with the native Oppo GUI using their remote is like a DOS application, makes it less easy to casually choose a piece of music that suits your whim of the moment

2) using remote apps like Kinsky or Bubble UPNP looses some fidelity compared to using the native Oppo GUI = added burden on Oppo CPU degrades processing

So an indifferent GUI experience with improved fidelity wouldn't motivate me to buy.

DSD to me is invitation for technology obsolesence... glad it works with the Aries but will probably sit it out another year or 2 to let the technology race plateau

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

If a computer wasn't required at all, how would you envision such a product functioning? Just curious.

Well, maybe I'm totally misconstruing the nature and capabilities of the Aries, BUT, if the Aries is performing the task of "reading" music files stored on a NAS, cabled to the Aries, with the Aries sending output to a DAC and the balance of a given playback system, the role of a computer is reduced to ripping the files. I can do that upstairs where I actually, you know, do my computer work, and leave the joys of music playback to a computer-less music playback system. I didn't venture into computer-based audio because I love computers, it was simply the best available option for meeting my audio needs for a stretch of time. I won't miss the Mac Mini when it leaves my main audio system, and I suspect that will happen in the near future.

MacBook Air > microRendu > Chord Hugo 2 > Fostex TH900 MKII

Well, maybe I'm totally misconstruing the nature and capabilities of the Aries, BUT, if the Aries is performing the task of "reading" music files stored on a NAS, cabled to the Aries, with the Aries sending output to a DAC and the balance of a given playback system, the role of a computer is reduced to ripping the files. I can do that upstairs where I actually, you know, do my computer work, and leave the joys of music playback to a computer-less music playback system. I didn't venture into computer-based audio because I love computers, it was simply the best available option for meeting my audio needs for a stretch of time. I won't miss the Mac Mini when it leaves my main audio system, and I suspect that will happen in the near future.

Correct, you just need the computer and appropriate software to rip files to the NAS and tag the meta data as required. All from the luxury of your upstairs abode.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

A bit OT, but as a computer hardware/software professional outside the world of audio, I find it interesting the 'computer' lost the war (at this stage anyway) for the next gen in-home video hub to Roku/Chromecast/AppleTV/FireTV/Xbox/SmartTV/et al. because developers were unable to strike the right functionality/ease of use/cost balance. Perhaps the Aeries, and other contemporaries, portend the same fate for high end audio following in the footsteps of products such as SONOS which have done the same for the mainstream audio market.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

A bit OT, but as a computer hardware/software professional outside the world of audio, I find it interesting the 'computer' lost the war (at this stage anyway) for the next gen in-home video hub to Roku/Chromecast/AppleTV/FireTV/Xbox/SmartTV/et al. because developers were unable to strike the right functionality/ease of use/cost balance. Perhaps the Aeries, and other contemporaries, portend the same fate for high end audio following in the footsteps of products such as SONOS which have done the same for the mainstream audio market.

I agree with you. The computer had all the chances in the world but wasn't interested.Ha.

This Geek Source is being compared to the Auralic Aries. Does anyone have any comment?https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-wave-it-s-not-a-next-gen-ipod-it-s-a-no-compromise-portable-music-player

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Yes, looks like a pretty direct competitor. Has the advantage/disadvantage of having onboard storage (depends how you look at it). I for one will be interested to hear (about) a comparison of the two if anyone makes one after they both are out.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

This Geek Source is being compared to the Auralic Aries. Does anyone have any comment?https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-wave-it-s-not-a-next-gen-ipod-it-s-a-no-compromise-portable-music-player

Looks like a completely different product that doesn't really compete or compare logically to the Aries. Based on LH's shameless comparisons of its products to other products in the past, I don't take this one serious. Comparing a product to the very popular Aries is one way to get people talking. In addiction, I wonder when this LH product will ship?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Looks like a completely different product that doesn't really compete or compare logically to the Aries. Based on LH's shameless comparisons of its products to other products in the past, I don't take this one serious. Comparing a product to the very popular Aries is one way to get people talking. In addiction, I wonder when this LH product will ship?

The fact that it has local storage is almost a nono for me. More cost where I don't need it...more complexity and more noise in a component where the noise should be kept at a minimum...even if is ssd...

I wonder if the jitter elimination is effective...the rest of specifications look fine!