IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Today's Mozart 39, 40, & 41 is an excellent performance and recording  in a very crowded field:  https://www.eclassical.com/harmonia-mundi/mozart-symphonies-nos-39-40-41.html

BTW - people should also be checking out the Qobuz Fest Sale here: https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/page/winter-qobuz-fest-2020

Thanks for being our secret shopper!!  

The Bach album by Olivier Latry, the titular organist of Notre-Dame de Paris, is the last recording made on the Cavaillé-Coll organ of Notre-Dame before the organ was damaged in the fire.  Therefore, some of you may want to buy it as a remembrance.  However, the Fanfare magazine reviewer said the performance was careful and dull.  

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

10 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

The Bach album by Olivier Latry, the titular organist of Notre-Dame de Paris, is the last recording made on the Cavaillé-Coll organ of Notre-Dame before the organ was damaged in the fire.  Therefore, some of you may want to buy it as a remembrance.  However, the Fanfare magazine reviewer said the performance was careful and dull.  

FWIW the allmusic reviewer called it exciting....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

13 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

I somewhat like that album but it’s not a must have. 

Today I can  recommend the CPE Bach Magnificat. 

On 12/13/2020 at 9:22 AM, austinpop said:

Also, the download speed from the eclassical store this weekend is glacial. Hopefully they can fix it soon.

That's an understatement. Just bought one of their daily deals (first time shopper) and it's been years since I've seen something download in .1mb increments. I doubt they'll be my go to for shopping. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

We have a download speed of 200mb/s plus, and currently getting 48kb/s download from eclassical. Glad I only bought one title. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Today's Beethoven 9th is a good bargain. But the download speed issue persists!

image.png

Sounds like it's a problem for US buyers?

I emailed them about my issue and they sent me a wetransfer of the album I purchased. Sounds like a local server issue, and  they plan on going 'cloud' soon to solve that. 

Every few years I try listening to Verklarte Nacht, but it strikes me as terribly depressing, and I turn it off almost immediately.  The only Schoenberg I've been able to enjoy is solo piano music—specifically, the Pöntinen recording on BIS and the op. 19 pieces on the Aspaas album with Beethoven's op. 111 and the Berg sonata.  (I also have a piece recorded by Glenn Gould, but can’t remember what I thought of it.)

Since you like Schoenberg more than I do, you might try the violin concerto by Hilary Hahn with Salonen conducting.  It's widely considered the most approachable recording of it for people who are put off by Schoenberg.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

Every few years I try listening to Verklarte Nacht, but it strikes me as terribly depressing, and I turn it off almost immediately.  The only Schoenberg I've been able to enjoy is solo piano music—specifically, the Pöntinen recording on BIS and the op. 19 pieces on the Aspaas album with Beethoven's op. 111 and the Berg sonata.  (I also have a piece recorded by Glenn Gould, but can’t remember what I thought of it.)

Since you like Schoenberg more than I do, you might try the violin concerto by Hilary Hahn with Salonen conducting.  It's widely considered the most approachable recording of it for people who are put off by Schoenberg.

I've shunned Schoenberg's music for decades, and very rarely listened to anything other than the Verklärte Nacht, certainly a very popular piece that I don't find depressing at all. And then just recently I started listening again to some of Schoenberg's other recordings and was struck by the otherworldly beauty of this music. Within a few days I listened to many of his works with considerable pleasure. One might probably need a special magic pill to get into the world of his music.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, AnotherSpin said:

I've shunned Schoenberg's music for decades, and very rarely listened to anything other than the Verklärte Nacht, certainly a very popular piece that I don't find depressing at all. And then just recently I started listening again to some of Schoenberg's other recordings and was struck by the otherworldly beauty of this music. Within a few days I listened to many of his works with considerable pleasure. One might probably need a special magic pill to get into the world of his music.

Could you share this pill with me? To this day I’m even struggling with Berg, let alone Schönberg.

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Which one is which again? Not a fan of the Matrix. 

If I remember correctly, red was for seeing reality, blue was for prolonging of illusion. The question remains, is music a reality, or an illusion?

Meanwhile, I listened again to Schoenberg's Violin Concerto with Isabelle Faust. To my perception, a very involved performance. Again, I don't find Schoenberg difficult at all, probably due to many years of listening to avant-garde music, from Cecil Taylor and Anthony Braxton in jazz to Tristan Murail and Gérard Grisey in the "serious" tradition. On the other hand, I know the cases where classical music lovers never accepted Mahler's innovations or Bruckner's language. Everything is relative. 

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

If I remember correctly, red was for seeing reality, blue was for prolonging of illusion. The question remains, is music a reality, or an illusion?

Meanwhile, I listened again to Schoenberg's Violin Concerto with Isabelle Faust. To my perception, a very involved performance. Again, I don't find Schoenberg difficult at all, probably due to many years of listening to avant-garde music, from Cecil Taylor and Anthony Braxton in jazz to Tristan Murail and Gérard Grisey in the "serious" tradition. On the other hand, I know the cases where classical music lovers never accepted Mahler's innovations or Bruckner's language. Everything is relative. 

I’d definitely need a blue pill then. Or maybe I should start with a couple of drams of a good single malt.