IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

The Hindemith string trios are from a brief phase in which he experimented with Schoenberg's 12-tone style.  They are almost unheard-of and rarely recorded.  Although his more popular works are unmistakably modern, they are less dissonant and much more upbeat.

My favorite of his works is the "Mathis der Maler" symphony, which is pretty throughout while harmonically modern.

His other two most popular orchestral pieces have pretty inner movements and raucous outer movements:

• "Concert Music for String Orch & Brass", op 50.

• Symphonic Metamorphoses on Themes by Weber.

For wind quintet, the Kleine Kammermusik, op 24/2,  is charming but modern in the manner of the Nielsen wind quintet and Barber "Summer Music".

A good sampling of duets for various instruments with piano is a 2013 Harmonia Mundi album with pianist Melnikov and various instrumentalists.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

The Hindemith string trios are from a brief phase in which he experimented with Schoenberg's 12-tone style.  They are almost unheard-of and rarely recorded.  Although his more popular works are unmistakably modern, they are less dissonant and much more upbeat.

My favorite of his works is the "Mathis der Maler" symphony, which is pretty throughout while harmonically modern.

His other two most popular orchestral pieces have pretty inner movements and raucous outer movements:

• "Concert Music for String Orch & Brass", op 50.

• Symphonic Metamorphoses on Themes by Weber.

For wind quintet, the Kleine Kammermusik, op 24/2,  is charming but modern in the manner of the Nielsen wind quintet and Barber "Summer Music".

A good sampling of duets for various instruments with piano is a 2013 Harmonia Mundi album with pianist Melnikov and various instrumentalists.

I was also hoping for a more approachable style, similar to the Melnikov album which I appreciate.

In the end I may pass on this in spite of von Baar´s praise.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's half-price deal is Shostakovich symphony 11 by Mark Wigglesworth and the Netherlands RPO.  Sym 11 is not one of his most famous works, but is well worth acquiring if you already have the famous ones. 

Movements 1 and 3 are excellent — quiet and moody.  Movements 2 and 4 have too much bombast for me, but you can buy individual movements.  Before you scoff at the latter idea, consider that mvmt 1 is longer than most entire 3-movement baroque concertos.

My only comparison is Pletnev, Russian National Sym on Pentatone.  Wigglesworth is much more interesting in 1.  In 3, Pletnev is more interesting, but Wigglesworth is decent.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

This one sounds promising:

Mendelssohn - Works for Cello and Piano - 24 FLAC Discount

BIS Boss Robert von Bahr: When I see names like Christian Poltéra and Roland Brautigam, my mouth waters, and when I see them together the dribble becomes a waterfall. For the Mendelssohn Music for Cello and Piano Christian has restrung his Stradivarius cello with gut strings, and Roland is playing a very well-made copy of an Érard piano from 1830, so the soundworld is authentic to what Mendelssohn composed for and could hear.

With names like this and a Producer like Hans Kipfer from Take5, nothing need be said from the quality aspect, and with 24/96 being sold at mp3 price, what's there to wait for??

1 hour ago, coot said:

Who is Roland Brautigam? I have several recordings by Ronald Brautigam, but don't find mention of a musician Roland Brautigam. 

My guess is that Robert von Bahr mixed up the first names of Ronald Bräutigam and Roland Pöntinen (another pianist with a lot of recordings for BIS), as Pöntinen is on today's daily deal

http://www.eclassical.com/composers/enescu-george/george-enescu-impressions.html

Claude

1 hour ago, CatManDo said:

My guess is that Robert von Bahr mixed up the first names of Ronald Bräutigam and Roland Pöntinen (another pianist with a lot of recordings for BIS), as Pöntinen is on today's daily deal

http://www.eclassical.com/composers/enescu-george/george-enescu-impressions.html

That or a simple autocorrect. 

Enescu violin sonata 3 is a fascinating half-price selection today.  Enescu is known mainly for his Romanian Rhapsodies.  The 3rd violin sonata is more sophisticated and advanced, but retains the unusual Romanian melodies and harmonies.  The "Childhood Impressions" are interesting too and very diverse, but obviously less developed since they are shorter.  The 2nd violin sonata is a student work.

Albéniz is today's 1/2 price album.  None of his greatest hits are included, but I find the entire album surprisingly engaging and more sophisticated than suggested by RvB's "lollipops" comment.  None of this is in the salon style of Albéniz's lesser pieces.

However, I did not purchase the last 4 tracks, the early piano concerto, which sounded quite rambling and uninspired when I previewed it.  It's also the only piece here having no Spanish flavor; it sounds like an inferior Chopin imitation.

• 1 month later...

Today's Boccherini La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid is really good:

4785594-origpic-c8d6b9.png_0_0_100_100_2

Four of Boccherini's quartets in this album. G.324, a.k.a La musica notturna delle strade di, is my favorite Boccherini piece overall. And the minuet in G.275 is so well known that anybody brought up in the west should be familiar with it. Pretty essential Boccherini stuff...

I've noticed that when I go to the eclassical daily deal, it differs from the suggestions posted here.

For example, @austinpop posted the Brahms BIS recording and when I click on the daily deal, I get 

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 10.56.13 AM.jpg

I thought it was a timing issue, but I tracked it for several days and none to the daily deals matched.

Just wondering what I am missing.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

• 2 weeks later...