IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Bob, which Nielsen album was it (link)?

http://www.eclassical.com/nielsen-clarinet-concerto-wa-mozart-clarinet-concerto.html

The performance strikes me as less spiky, more romantic, than one would expect for Nielsen, which may be good or bad depending on your preference.  However, the clarinetist is amazing.

If you like Nielsen, two other tips:

1.  Dausgaard just recorded symphonies 3 & 4, his two greatest, with the Seattle Sym on their own label.  I haven’t heard it, but Dausgaard's 2006 set with the Danish National Sym on Dacapo is my favorite set of the 6 symphonies.

2.  Dacapo, the Danish label, now has a holiday sale at various discounts up to 50%.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

41 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

http://www.eclassical.com/nielsen-clarinet-concerto-wa-mozart-clarinet-concerto.html

The performance strikes me as less spiky, more romantic, than one would expect for Nielsen, which may be good or bad depending on your preference.  However, the clarinetist is amazing.

If you like Nielsen, two other tips:

1.  Dausgaard just recorded symphonies 3 & 4, his two greatest, with the Seattle Sym on their own label.  I haven’t heard it, but Dausgaard's 2006 set with the Danish National Sym on Dacapo is my favorite set of the 6 symphonies.

2.  Dacapo, the Danish label, now has a holiday sale at various discounts up to 50%.

Thanks for the referrals. I noticed the Nielsen/Mozart is still only $8 and change, so I'm getting it as we speak.

Also thanks for the Dacapo label. Any recommendations?

37 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

@austinpop: If your avatar denotes a love of Mahler, I highly recommend the Dausgaard, Seattle Sym album of the Cooke 2 completion of Mahler's 10th.

It does indeed! And I am really into Dausgaard after buying his Brahms 1 and 2. I'll look for his Mahler.

Two superb half-price deals today:

Bach's Clavier-Übung III by organist Stephen Farr.  Dramatic performance and excellent sound on Resonus label.  Arguably Bach's masterpiece for organ, consisting of 27 preludes or contrapuntal pieces based on chorale themes.

Rachmaninoff's piano sonata 1, Balakirev's Islamey, etc by Alexandre Kantarow.  Both lyrical and technically impressive.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 12/18/2017 at 1:47 AM, austinpop said:

Hmm, is it me, or have this year's Christmas sale offerings been underwhelming? 

Lots of chamber and Nordic/Scandinavian music.

Not just you. I've been thinking the same thing.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Two superb half-price deals today:

Bach's Clavier-Übung III by organist Stephen Farr.  Dramatic performance and excellent sound on Resonus label.  Arguably Bach's masterpiece for organ, consisting of 27 preludes or contrapuntal pieces based on chorale themes.

Rachmaninoff's piano sonata 1, Balakirev's Islamey, etc by Alexandre Kantarow.  Both lyrical and technically impressive.

I just named the Kantorow recording as one of my Top 5 classical albums of the year on my blog. To bad its already gone. https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/12/24/my-top-5-classical-albums-of-2017/

Today I highly recommend the Vänskä Beethoven symphony box. Great playing and well recorded. 

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

I just named the Kantorow recording as one of my Top 5 classical albums of the year on my blog. To bad its already gone.

The half-price deal remains.  This year all the half-price Christmas discounts continue in effect if you go directly to the album page, even though they disappear from the daily page:

http://www.eclassical.com/kantorow-alexandre/bis2150.html

FWIW, I greatly dislike Vanska's Beethoven.

@Musicophile:  Since you're a big Keith Jarrett fan, have you listened to his Shostakovich preludes & fugues?  Even if you normally consider Shostakovich too somber, Jarrett's performance is quite unusual in making it playful instead.

4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

The half-price deal remains.  This year all the half-price Christmas discounts continue in effect if you go directly to the album page, even though they disappear from the daily page:

Thanks for flagging about the half price deal. The Kantorow is a must have then. 

Interesting: what in particular do you dislike about then Vänskä?

5 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Is there a list of all the album's offered this Christmas?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 hours ago, Musicophile said:

what in particular do you dislike about Vänskä?

He consistently avoids big climaxes and grandeur.

Otherwise, he doesn’t seem to have a point of view, since his eccentricities vary within a single performance.  Sometimes his phrases are clipped (Sym 9: I) or spastic bursts (Sym 9: IV).  Other times he's simply dull with no phrasing at all (Sym 9: III; Sym 5).

For Sym 4, my notes are:  I. Sforzandi exaggerated but OK;  II. Graceless.

16 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

He consistently avoids big climaxes and grandeur.

Otherwise, he doesn’t seem to have a point of view, since his eccentricities vary within a single performance.  Sometimes his phrases are clipped (Sym 9: I) or spastic bursts (Sym 9: IV).  Other times he's simply dull with no phrasing at all (Sym 9: III; Sym 5).

For Sym 4, my notes are:  I. Sforzandi exaggerated but OK;  II. Graceless.

Interesting insights. What is your personal reference here for comparison?

8 hours ago, Musicophile said:

What is your personal reference here for comparison?

I suppose this disqualifies my opinions, but my references are not very modern.

My favorite 4th is Abbado/Berlin 1999, one of the few from the 1999 cycle that I prefer to the 2001 remake in Rome.

My favorite 9th is Bernstein/Vienna 1979.

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

My favorite 4th is Abbado/Berlin 1999, one of the few from the 1999 cycle that I prefer to the 2001 remake in Rome.

Absolutely not. It’s all a matter of personal taste. 

4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Like Bernstein a lot.  My favorite is Solti/Chicago.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:08 AM, Musicophile said:

Thanks for flagging about the half price deal. The Kantorow is a must have then. 

Already have the Kantorow, so I bought the Brahms 2nd.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 12/24/2017 at 2:50 PM, Bob Stern said:

@Musicophile:  Since you're a big Keith Jarrett fan, have you listened to his Shostakovich preludes & fugues?  Even if you normally consider Shostakovich too somber, Jarrett's performance is quite unusual in making it playful instead.

This is actually one of my earliest Jarrett recordings and he only one where I put Jarrett on par with other classical pianists.  His other ventures into classical or baroque music are often an acquired taste.