IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

Today's Rach sym 2 with Gergiev & LSO is excellent.

Since eClassical permits buying individual tracks, you might also consider the Supplica track from the Rouse album.  It's an elegiac mood piece sort of like Barber's Adagio for Strings except with a wide variety of orchestral timbres.  It doesn’t really go anywhere, but it's pretty.  The frequently changing instrumental combinations are the main interest.  (The other two pieces are the polar opposite: raucous.)

Vanska's Mahler is terrible IMO.  He underplays all the contrasts between sections, instead limiting his expression to micromanaging articulation changes.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Having previously posted a screenshot of the hilarity arising when an album featuring his ex-wife and the man for whom she chose to bear numerous children came up as the Daily Deal. 

The sap newly bled pours out of this soliloquy with no slighter levels of personal conflict.  Yesterday he proudly recounted the exuberant nature with which he pursued a fling with female artist he was recording.  In the all to numerous and regretfully wild years predating his current marriage.  😘😅😘😅

image.thumb.png.e0feddd9263959cdc128733f94af9eb0.png

• 1 month later...

Shostakovich violin concertos 1 & 2 are today's 1/2 price special, with Frank Peter Zimmermann violin, and Alan Gilbert conducting the NDR Elbphilharmonie.  Zimmermann is wonderfully subtle and poignant.

The SQ is wonderful too, apparently recorded by the orchestra's engineers instead of BIS, which is a plus: transparent but smooth, without BIS's screechy treble.  My only criticism is that the soloist is unnaturally prominent relative to the orchestra, which doesn’t bother me in this case because it allows me to focus on Zimmermann's subtlety.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

9 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

transparent but smooth, without BIS's screechy treble.

Wow, I've never encountered that and I have many BIS recordings dating back to the early days of CD. Many of their early CD's were mastered with preemphasis so this must be corrected for. For SQ, BIS is among my favorite labels.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

On 1/1/2022 at 7:59 PM, danadam said:

I've just sent them information, that their credit card processor doesn't work with uBlock Origin adblocker.

I don't understand the issue.  Three clicks to disable it temporarily on a secure trusted site or at best a few minutes to figure out what list is producing the conflict.  

AV produce false positives.  Every single security program does.