IGNORED

Best Sounding Download

which version do you guys suggest to buy? my initial reaction was to click on DSF but then I noticed that the album originally was recorded in 24bit/192khz pcm. would buying the original pcm version make more sense?

I hadn't noticed that and bought the DSD (DSF) version. On my system, It sounds wonderful.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

which version do you guys suggest to buy? my initial reaction was to click on DSF but then I noticed that the album originally was recorded in 24bit/192khz pcm. would buying the original pcm version make more sense?

I bought the 24/192 version based on the logic that it would be the version closest to the studio master.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 2 weeks later...
Quiles & Cloud “Seminole Star” 44.1/96/dsd/dsf 64

Seminole Star | Quiles & Cloud

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13067[/ATTACH]

Roch

Ah, you're faster. Yes, that's true, very natural and quality recording as usual from Cookie. BTW, IMHO, Bluecoast Recordings are getting better and better…

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

For those interested, I received the following response from Frans de Rond as to why the Andre Heuvelman album was done in 24/88.2:

"Normally we do all our recordings in format 96kHz /24bit or maybe in the future even higher.

The time we did the recording of Andre there was a discussion going on that it was better to record in format 88.2kHz because it was easier to re-sample the master to the CD format 44.1 kHz. Because the samples only need to be divided by 2.

Because the recording was made with CD format in mind we decided to try in format 88.2 kHz.

Later we decided to make the original masters available for Sound Liaison and because we never change the sample rate it's now in 88.2kHz"

I have the CD version as well as the download version of the After Silence album, the cover and the sound is different. I prefer the studio master Download from Sound Liaison. The sound stage is bigger and wider and somehow there is more depth and clarity.

Andre%20300%20met%20schaduw.pngAfter Silence (FLAC)

or wav studiomaster;After Silence (WAV)

AfterS.jpgCD; Andre Heuvelman

Maybe the CD has been mastered somewhere, but it has not improved the sound. The Studio Master download is stunning.

• 2 weeks later...

The difference is probably 16/44 (CD) vs 24/96 (WAV studiomaster).

I have the CD version as well as the download version of the After Silence album, the cover and the sound is different. I prefer the studio master Download from Sound Liaison. The sound stage is bigger and wider and somehow there is more depth and clarity.

Andre%20300%20met%20schaduw.pngAfter Silence (FLAC)

or wav studiomaster;After Silence (WAV)

AfterS.jpgCD; Andre Heuvelman

Maybe the CD has been mastered somewhere, but it has not improved the sound. The Studio Master download is stunning.

Is that "Kind of Blue" a real hirez download?

Where is it available from?

You can get hi-res Kind of Blue at HDtracks, stereo or mono version. I have the 24/192 stereo version, I think you'd be hard pressed to find better, the quality is amazing!

Kind Of Blue | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Kind Of Blue (Mono Version) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

The introductory sale on this ends tomorrow!

Thank you for the reminder on "Seminole Star" - I had put this on my "check it out" list, but forgot to check it out :/ Listened to the samples online and bought it right away :)

PS - One thing I like about Blue Coast / Downloads Now is that they post full samples online instead of just 30 or 90 seconds - very helpful!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

You're welcome.

I just happened to catch it myself. Listened to about 10 seconds of the first song and went for it. About to listen now :)

Thanks to elcorso for posting the album.

Hackintosh W7/OSX 3570k/16GB > Audirvana+ > Metric Halo ULN-8 > Rythmik F12 and Butler Audio TDB 2250 > Magnepan 1.7 > 13.5'x26'x7.5' room, HK/Limage setup

Quiles & Cloud “Seminole Star” 44.1/96/dsd/dsf 64

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13067[/ATTACH]

Roch

This is a very good recording.

We finished tracking on the new album last weekend. It’s sounding great! Nothing like recording the “old-fashioned” way, live to 2″ tape.
Recorded Live (No Overdubs, No Edits, No Headphones) to 2" Tape

is this getting a new trend?, THE secret of a successful audiophile recording ;

The 9 pieces of music were performed live in the studio in front of a select audience.The musicians were placed in front of a stereo pair of microphones with additional spot microphones on each instrument. The musicians were playing without headphones, the reason being that we believe that when we get the musicians to play together in the same room, without headphones, it creates a number of musical and technical benefits:
BATIK (FLAC)Batik%20Hoes%20200%20shadow%20v3.png
Doug says: "Making this album was different than any other one I've done in the past," recalls MacLeod about the sessions. "They put Jimi, Denny and me on this huge soundstage at Skywalker Sound in Marin County and we sat around in a circle where we could see each other. We played live, no overdubs, just three guys playing some music together."
Reference Recordings - RR-130 DetailRR-130%20Cover_s.jpg
The introductory sale on this ends tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone for mentioning this album and the sale price. I am listening to it right now. It is just wonderful. Great music and great SQ.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Did anyone notice the bizarre asymmetrical clipping on track 2 Fool To Run?..

- Waveform (full):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13347[/ATTACH]

- Waveform (excerpt):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13349[/ATTACH]

Guess I'm missing something - where is any "clipping"? Don't see any, and don't hear it on the recording.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, it is back to basics, I'd say return to the old trend:

see this photo from the ''Time Out'' session.

large_Dave%20Brubeck%20-%20Time%20Out%20-%20COLOR3.jpg

and the ''After Silence'' session

Andre_misterieus_shadow.png

..since everybody is in the same room, the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent...the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording. That sounds like an easy solution but bear in mind that in order for this to work:e studio has to have a good sound.....the musicians have to be very good and well prepared as it is very difficult to repair mistakes because of the ''cross talk'' between the instruments....we have to be very precise when choosing and placing the microphones..
further reading:After Silence (WAV)
  • 1 month later...

Yes those two above somehow reminds me of one of my old favorites; Ahmad Jamal Live at the Spot Light Club.

Placement and lots of space.

from the little Sound Liaison label, the Carmen Gomes download, Thousand Shades of Blue, has got it in spades.

And the recording of the voice has rarely been done better.

SSS1%20Milan%20300.pngThousand Shades of Blue (FLAC)

• 2 weeks later...

More pictures.

Notice that Gene Wright(bass) is standing behind the piano on the 1st picture, maybe they are rehearsing there.

All smiles, looks like they knew they were on to something good.timeOut8192-45.jpg

large_Dave%20Brubeck%20-%20Time%20Out%20-%20COLOR3.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture of the Time Out session... looks like they are really having a great time playing together. Really cool picture. Paul is wailing there in the background!

• 1 year later...

Buried back on page 3 was my feedback to Jud's suggestion for Blue Coast Collection (1). I still think it's superb, I added the Collection (2) recently to my collection and it sounds as good though I think that the first edges it on the tracks included.

Worth a mention is that it's been recently remastered and you now get 3 extra tracks on the remaster. Or you can go for the original 2.0 or a 5.1 mix now.

Blue Coast Records | Exceptional Acoustic Recordings

The collection 1.0 remains some of my reference music for my system, 'looking for a home' and 'on a slow day' in particular' It's particularly the tone and presentation, it basically sounds on digital like I normally look to my record deck to produce but better. Really lovely, and I haven't tired of the music on all the back to backs which is a complement.

Wider catalogue here, and tonnes about Cookie Marenco's recording approach elsewhere on the forum.

Downloads NOW!