IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

Isn't saying that you found no weakness in a USB cable equivalent to saying that digital playback is absolutely perfect in your system?

I didn't think I heard weaknesses in the Wireworld Platinum Startlight (WWPS), but there were things about digital playback that were really bothering me. These I blamed on my DAC. It wasn't until I heard that Heimdall that I realized the problem was actually the WWPS.

I could find no flaw in the Heimdall either. My jaw hit the floor when I heard the LS pass information that the Heimdall couldn't pass.

So if it only comes down primarily to fullness, the LS may very well not be the cable for you.

My highest priority is that instruments sound like the real thing. The Heimdall was fuller sounding than the LS, but with the LS did a far better job of making instruments come to life. Timbres were much more natural sounding through the LS. Also the way instruments occupied space and energized the air was far more convincing with the LS. The LS is amazing in the time domain - transients rise quickly and decay naturally. Percussive instruments are more percussive and sound more real as a result. Contact made with guitar or bass strings sounds more realistic too. And then there's the clarity of the LS, which is simply stunning. Performers sound much more like they are in the same room with you.

A great example: Kansas' Leftoverture album is one of my favorite albums. I have listened to this a million times both on vinyl and on CD. A vibraphone is featured in the middle of the song "Opus Insert". I had never noticed this until I got the LS. The sound of metal bars being struck came through crystal clear with the LS in place. I think my eyes must have bulged out of my eyes when I heard this because the vibraphone sounded like it was in my listening room. I literally looked over to where the sound was coming from half expecting to see a vibraphone. LOL

I would gladly accept a slight loss in fullness for the opportunity to have instruments come to life like that before me. But that's me.

I will not be satisfied with resolution until I am regularly fooled into thinking that I'm in the same room as the musicians and their instruments. The pursuit of this is what makes listening so enjoyable to me.

I think you may have just saved yourself some money. If meaty is what you are looking for, you should look to something other than the LS.

But then again, if natural is really what you are after, then you should seriously give the LS a listen.

That's the best way to go.

I don’t think fullness is synonymous for midrange. I think there is more to midrange than fullness. Even though I started the term body, I did not mean only fullness.

I have heard the Light Speed USB cable is a little thin sounding with good extensions. I have never tried this cable and probably never will. What you are describing for the LS I have already, what I want in a USB cable is better midrange.

The AQ Diamond has the best top end I have heard but lacks in resolution in midrange and bass compared to the Purist Ultimate USB. The Purist just sucks me in on the midrange. I sold my AQ Diamond.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Yes.

My two cents: forget the LS for now and instead look to getting a really good power cord. This will have much greater ability to deliver the fullness that's important to you. A cord like the Nordost Brahma for example, could significantly improve tonal density and weight depending on what you are using currently.

Also get some Stillpoints under your DAC. I would place both of these moves ahead of a better USB cable given that you are so happy with the Premium now.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

My two cents: forget the LS for now and instead look to getting a really good power cord. This will have much greater ability to deliver the fullness that's important to you. A cord like the Nordost Brahma for example, could significantly improve tonal density and weight depending on what you are using currently.

Also get some Stillpoints under your DAC. I would place both of these moves ahead of a better USB cable given that you are so happy with the Premium now.

If you look at my signature you will see my power cables. I also have a lot of still points but could use a few more. The latest power cable I added to my Joule preamp is an Elrod Statement Gold which I think is a tad better than the Nordost Brahma power cord.

I did Nordost about 8 years ago. I have heard them all except Odin. I don’t think I will be going to Nordost again.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

I have heard the Light Speed USB cable is a little thin sounding with good extensions. I have never tried this cable and probably never will. What you are describing for the LS I have already, what I want in a USB cable is better midrange.

What does you mean exactly by better midrange? More accurate? Or full and pleasing no matter what the recording?

I'm hearing a string tone from cellos now at this very moment the LS that gets as close as I've yet heard from digital to the tone I hear at the symphony hall. The ultimate test for me is how the sound stacks up next to my recollection of the real thing.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

If you look at my signature you will see my power cables. I also have a lot of still points but could use a few more.

I was responding to Lappy27. I think you are I are likely in agreement on the importance of power cords.

What does you mean exactly by better midrange? More accurate? Or full and pleasing no matter what the recording?

I'm hearing a string tone from cellos now at this very moment the LS that gets as close as I've yet heard from digital to the tone I hear at the symphony hall. The ultimate test for me is how the sound stacks up next to my recollection of the real thing.

I don’t have an answer but I tell you Purist is a lot closer than Nordost. Vcaps give more air around strings than most caps which I have in my amps and preamp. I plan to get Dueland caps installed in my AMR 777 when it is upgraded. Air around strings is not the answer to my want as I get very good air around strings.

The Bourbon is good right now. Elmer T Lee Bourbon.

Thanks kennyb123,

I made a couple of changes in my system in the last 6 to 8 months and I forgot to update my audio system in my profile. A department I obviously improved is the electric distribution starting from the wall outlet with a Furutech GTX-D gold with wall plate and carbon fiber cover (huge improvement in comparison of my previous Hubbel hospital grade). Next in the chain is the first of 3 Furutech OCC 11 AWG power cord with Furutech plugs. A power cord really well regard in the DIY world. Certainly much better sounding than my old OFC/Wattgate Black Sand Violet MKII. Follow a AudioSensibility Statement Power distribution box with Furutech GTX-D gold and rhodium receptacles. This box easily outperformed my previous PS Audio Power Plant Premier regenerator. A lot more dynamic. Finally my Bryston head amp and NAD M51 are feed by the two others Alpha 3 power cords. With Audiophilleo2 + PurePower in the mix.

As for isolators. I am waiting for an answer from Todd Kubon from CanAm Audio who's footers are favorably compared with Stillpoints. He just want to be sure to sending me the right screws to go with my NAD M51. I will put footers under the Bryston and my laptop too.

Finally, I just received yesterday, two Hifi Tuning Supreme fuses to put inside the Bryston and the NAD. Will do this next week end probably.

So I think I covered all fine tuning aspects of my system. Unless I forgot something.

We have to admit it. It's fun to try new stuff and having a sense of wonder again.

Another thing that can help is to feed a preamp from the secondary windings of a transformer located in a separate earthed metal case. I do this with both my Class A preamp and Class A headphone amplifier.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

As for isolators. I am waiting for an answer from Todd Kubon from CanAm Audio who's footers are favorably compared with Stillpoints.

AmCan Audio :) I looked at his footers a while back as a member on another forum suggested they are better than Stillpoints, but once I saw they used silicone, I stopped looking. Just a personal preference against silicone, rubber, etc for footers.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I made a couple of changes in my system in the last 6 to 8 months and I forgot to update my audio system in my profile.

You should update this. It helps to provide context. Your emphasis on fullness made perfect sense once I saw that you were using headphones.

INext in the chain is the first of 3 Furutech OCC 11 AWG power cord with Furutech plugs. A power cord really well regard in the DIY world. Certainly much better sounding than my old OFC/Wattgate Black Sand Violet MKII.

Furutech makes great products, but I know very little about their power cords. Great though that you're using a quality power cord. Power cords can be the best way to add fullness as the fullness that springs forth tends to be the real deal.

IAs for isolators. I am waiting for an answer from Todd Kubon from CanAm Audio who's footers are favorably compared with Stillpoints.

Sorry but I have a really hard time believing these are comparable with the latest products from Stillpoints. Stillpoints has been at this a long time and have really perfected their art. A couple days ago I tried their Ultra Mini for the first time. These replaced their now discontinued cones and it was a HUGE upgrade. There are a gazillion extremely positive reviews about Stillpoints - it's as close to a sure thing as we have in our hobby. (I have no affiliation with Stillpoints except for being a VERY satisfied customer).

Finally, I just received yesterday, two Hifi Tuning Supreme fuses to put inside the Bryston and the NAD. Will do this next week end probably.

Good for you.

We have to admit it. It's fun to try new stuff and having a sense of wonder again.

I couldn't agree more. My jaw was on the floor much of last night. The swap to the Stillpoints Ultra Minis delivered a huge upgrade - it sounded almost like I had upgraded my speakers.

One thing to be aware of is that Mapleshade's cables have long been consciously designed to have a "leading edge" sound. That may or may not be to your liking (not to mine). If I weren't already using the Ultra Fi USB cable, I'd take a look at Elijah Audio's offerings - Elijah Audio - Products. Michael makes quality USB cables at a good price. Good reviews and customer comments.

Hey Highstream...Thanks for the recommendation! I decided to order an Elijah USB cable to compare to the Mapleshade as I read some reviews on it and it seems worthy of a trial. I will post my impressions here when I have a chance to compare the two cables in the next couple weeks! If I can get the mids and highs of the Mapleshade and more powerful but defined bottom end that I am looking for then I will be a happy camper and end the USB search. Hopefully it will be what I am looking for because at $250 with shipping sure beats the $600+ of other high end cables and especially since I would like to try the iUSB which requires two USB cables. Cheers!

AmCan Audio :) I looked at his footers a while back as a member on another forum suggested they are better than Stillpoints, but once I saw they used silicone, I stopped looking. Just a personal preference against silicone, rubber, etc for footers.

Agree with this. I would keep these away from electronics and speakers.

I can't imagine that these would be as effective as Stillpoints Ultra Minis. These AmCan products only isolate - they don't offer a path for energy to leave a component.

What is the best place to investigate details of the Stillpoints Ultra Minis - the official website is pretty thin ... Stuff like how do I mount speakers on them, are they suitable for 40kg speakers, can they simply replace the spikes on top of the granite slabs, etc???

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

If you want to know about Stillpoints you might try contacting a dealer. I used Simon at MCV consulting. Contact Us :: MCV Consulting - MCV Consulting: Audio Equipment, Engineering & System Matching

Simon knew how much weight each of models would handle. He is a nice guy and like him. I have bought many products from him and everything he has said has been true.

If you want to know about Stillpoints you might try contacting a dealer.

Good advice.

The one thing to be aware of with the Ultra Minis is they can be damaged if weight is inadvertently dropped on them. This is due to the small size of the ceramics.

• 2 weeks later...
My jaw hit the floor when I heard the LS pass information that the Heimdall couldn't pass.

My highest priority is that instruments sound like the real thing. The Heimdall was fuller sounding than the LS, but with the LS did a far better job of making instruments come to life. Timbres were much more natural sounding through the LS. Also the way instruments occupied space and energized the air was far more convincing with the LS. The LS is amazing in the time domain - transients rise quickly and decay naturally. Percussive instruments are more percussive and sound more real as a result. Contact made with guitar or bass strings sounds more realistic too. And then there's the clarity of the LS, which is simply stunning. Performers sound much more like they are in the same room with you.

A great example: Kansas' Leftoverture album is one of my favorite albums. I have listened to this a million times both on vinyl and on CD. A vibraphone is featured in the middle of the song "Opus Insert". I had never noticed this until I got the LS. The sound of metal bars being struck came through crystal clear with the LS in place. I think my eyes must have bulged out of my eyes when I heard this because the vibraphone sounded like it was in my listening room. I literally looked over to where the sound was coming from half expecting to see a vibraphone. LOL

I would gladly accept a slight loss in fullness for the opportunity to have instruments come to life like that before me. But that's me.

Ooh, that's very interesting for me to read as after reading a lot about USB cable comparisons and designs, this week-end I decided to finally have a go at building my own. Part of the inspiration was to separate the signal and power cables as in the LS, complete with separators. I built it based on an unused generic USB cable, which it turned out was well shielded along the cable, with a foil and a braided sheath. Basically, I cut the power leads and physically separated them and re-soldered them.

First test was just like that, a mess of cabling and sheathing dangling, but at least a wide separation from signal lines and power lines. I also installed a switch on the +5V lead. Unfortunately, if I put this to off, my DAC shuts downs even if I run it from battery (it's the iFI iDSD Nano), so I can't disconnect the +5V even after handshake.

We were two listening to a bunch of songs and music between cable swaps, and what you described above is exactly what we heard: better attack transients, clearer sounds, especially on voices and percussions, even guitar attacks. Among what we listened to were Sara K (lots of guitar sounds in-between the louder string work were heard with the new cable that weren't noticed before) and Sting (Island of Souls), and on top of the afore-mentioned changes were a wider soundstage, more 'life-like' presence, better reproduction of trailing vibratos. No blind A-B comparison here, feel free to do your own, but to us the changes were positive, obvious and easily heard and we also were wowed to the extent of raised eyebrows and puzzled looks at each other. The volume seems higher too, although I haven't changed any of the wires, I just re-used them.

I spent the rest of the following day adding proper shielding on the power lines (aluminium foil, and braided sheath snipped from a satellite coax I bought cheap) and experimented with adding ferrite chokes on both of these and making final foil shields for the connectors and putting everything in a large tube.

I have yet to solidify the areas near the connectors as the two shields need to be connected and I find it hard to have the braids make a solid, durable connection, make the ends resistant to physical stress as well as add the separators (cylindrical pieces of wood), but my DIY cable is what I am going to use from now on on the iFi DSD Nano as it beats the little one provided by iFi every single time I do a swap.

Can't compare to any commercial higher grade USB cable as I don't have any but now, I am ogling making a couple of DIY power cords for the amp and the iMac and perhaps building a second DIY USB cable in the same vein for my older DAC which performs surround duties.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I second to kennyb123 findings on LS. It sounds a bit thin in vocal for the 1st 10 hours. But it becomes full enough upon 30 hours service. Most important the vocal is most accurate, natural & clear ever in my system. No mention the well layering of vocal and the band sound playing behind. Just a change of the USB cable. My previous own were Black Cat and Acoustic Revive.

Mine LS is a split version and my DAC equips a self-powered USB port. Only the signal leg is connected. the power leg is idle. Might it help to the sonic quality.

Rockna WDN disc transport> Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced DAC >

Zen wave D4 rca> VEFT PP 20W class A or Jeff Koneff 45 SET or Transcendent Sound SEOTL >

1mm UPOCC silver in silk tubing> Ocellia Celia Silver Loudspeaker

I've been fortunate enough to find someone selling a slightly used 1.5m IFI Gemini here and managed to get it at about $100 less than I was quoted for a new one retail in Canada. Ever since I picked up the iUSB and have heard the difference it has made to my system I have been pretty curious about the Gemini.

I have only had it for 24 hours now but my first impressions of this cable being used with the iUSB are of an incredibly increased resolution that is provided without any unnatural effect. This is my first experience with USB cables in which I am not just hearing a difference, but that there is no doubt I am hearing an improvement. In comparison my Audioquest Carbon sounds hot and distorted.

Pretty impressive and certainly a big step up for me, although I am slightly dismayed at discovering the enormous differences these changes in power and cabling have made on my system.

JRiver -> NAD M51 -> Questyle CMA800R -> HD800 - LCD-X

OK . . . I need to ask . . .

First, let me say I just ordered the LightSpeed USB so I can simply see and hear for my self. It will be home in a few days.

Isn't the job of the computer and usb cable to deliver ones and zeros to the DAC and then the DAC job to assembles the data correctly?

I simply do not understand how a usb cable could make a difference.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

I think the 1s survive the trip though the cables fine, but the 0s can roll as they go through, and may end up in a different angle than they started out, which can lead to massive phase problems--picture it, several 0s in a row, and each one may have rolled into a slightly different position...this must cause the DAC a lot of confusion! ;-)

First, let me say I just ordered the LightSpeed USB so I can simply see and hear for my self. It will be home in a few days.

Isn't the job of the computer and usb cable to deliver ones and zeros to the DAC and then the DAC job to assembles the data correctly?

I guess having paid a thousand dollars for a 32-inch piece of wire, you'll find out...please let us know.

The USB cable is also an electrical connection carrying both power and signal as well as ground. Can electrical connections potentially make a difference to the performance of an audio system?

Modeling what something does is essential to understanding. Just be careful that the model doesn't leave out significant pieces of reality.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I guess having paid a thousand dollars for a 32-inch piece of wire, you'll find out...please let us know.

Yeah, my audio budget is at a level where that's a potential cost of a DAC rather than a USB cable. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.