IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

I don't know if I would pick that model, but the Belkin is a good place to start. I would pick the Gold model which uses higher spec cabling, for close to the same price:

Amazon.com: Belkin Gold Series 6-Foot USB A to B Cable; 20/28 AWG; DSTP: Electronics

But what are the clear steps up from here?

Belkin Gold is my 'traveling' cable and it does make a positive difference in the sound for me!

Kimber Kable USB with 6.1% silver coated conductors is my current favorite "giant killer" cable.

The iFi Gemini, connected with the iFi iUSB Power is currently making my jaw drop. That is a bit of a giant price though, approaching $400 for the pair, and you still need a second USB cable to connect to your source.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Graham Slee Lautus USB cable

Great value and sound. Recommended!

Chario Aviator Cielo | Norma Audio Revo IPA-70B | Merason frérot + Merason pow1
Volumio Rivo 
+ iFi iPower Elite | Skinbjerg Audio Interconnects + Speaker Cables
Supra Excalibur USB 
| MeiCord Opal + iFi LAN iSilencer | Power Cables 3x1.5 mm²
Ansuz Mainz8 X 
| SD-Feet | Herbie’s Threaded Stud Gliders | Norstone Stabbl AV

This looks to me like a Computer Scientist poking fun at the 100s of members in this forum , posting in numerous threads,who not only hear differences between various USB cables, but quite often seem to have a marked preference for specific models.

Have a look at the +5V red wire of a typical USB cable at the device end with a C.R.O. while the device is operating, and you may see low level packets of Data among the SMPS rubbish ! Differential Receivers are supposed to be completely immune to things like that, at least in theory. It's also interesting to see that the most respected cables often claim to have improved isolation between D+ and D- and the SMPS +5V power wires.

Yes and no. Yes, I am poking fun at people trying to fix their problems by cables instead of focusing on the components and an acceptable power supply. No, I actually own one of these Belkin cables and it sounds no worse to me than any other cable I tried.

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

Yes and no. Yes, I am poking fun at people trying to fix their problems by cables instead of focusing on the components and an acceptable power supply. No, I actually own one of these Belkin cables and it sounds no worse to me than any other cable I tried.

It's a little arrogant to assume that people have not narrowed their "problems" as you say, down to the USB cable before they start playing around with them, isn't it? Or do you assume a USB cable cannot, under any circumstances, make a sonic difference?

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Yes, I am poking fun at people trying to fix their problems by cables instead of focusing on the components and an acceptable power supply

It's not just due to a suitable PSU. E.E. John Swenson has already been able to demonstrate that RF/EMI goes along for the ride with the data via the USB cable. You also need isolation from this using devices such as SOtM PCI USB cards , iFi USB etc.

Another problem is that when the computer is connected to I.E.C. mains earth, due to many USB devices having an internal connection between Shield and 0 volts leads, there is an earth loop.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Another problem is that when the computer is connected to I.E.C. mains earth, due to many USB devices having an internal connection between Shield and 0 volts leads, there is an earth loop.

I severed all connections to mains earth decades ago. All my audio gear (including computer and DAC) is floated. No main earth connection on any of my power cords. (Not that I use power strips, but lifting the wire in the power cord keeps them from seeing each others' ground pins even if they are on the same strip or outlet.) Nothing good running around on the mains earth (though I admit that for USA 120V, the neutral is bonded to "ground" way back at the panel. But my system is on a separate, dedicated sub-panel.).

And it's important to have all the audio gear on the same phase of the 120-0-120 (and to choose the better sounding side); Except for the computer. I prefer to run that on the opposite side of the line from the DAC/preamp/power amp.

Studio MainLined panel.jpg

Hi Alex C

Although often desirable as demonstrated by results, it's not always a good idea to do that with some gear, and especially on 230V AC mains systems. It may also be illegal in some countries where the equipment doesn't meet double insulated specifications.

I would be very wary of doing things which may expose members of the family to danger in the event of certain fault situations. In Au. our Neutral is also bonded to earth back at the panel. Earlier installations often used the metal water pipes for this.

My advice would be, that unless you are very experienced in this area, don't even think about going there.

Kind Regards

Alex

P.S.

How are things progressing on your J.S. designed Mac Mini Linear PSUs ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Thanks for asking. Heading into production shortly. Lots of parts on order already. Not just for Mac minis though. Two outputs, individually selectable voltages, up to 5A+.

Alex C

Any further thoughts from John as to why the little Kelvin Sense PCB gave quite a noticeable improvement when the Linear supply would already have been well above average ? Will you be recommending it's use with most installations ?

Regards

Alex

It's not just due to a suitable PSU. E.E. John Swenson has already been able to demonstrate that RF/EMI goes along for the ride with the data via the USB cable. You also need isolation from this using devices such as SOtM PCI USB cards , iFi USB etc.

I'd love to see John test the cable I linked above then. It deals with this specific issue.

Here is what DH says:

As the USB interface becomes a more integral component of high-end audio, the need for premium cables of the highest quality continues to expand. Our 20-year experience perfecting state-of-the-art digital cables, has played a critical role in the engineering the new Mirage USB.

The standard USB interface contains both data and power conductors. In the Mirage USB, the data conductors (carrying digital audio signals) and the power conductors have been physically separated using proprietary Signal Isolation Technology. This isolates the digital data stream from noise emanating on the host computer’s USB Power Bus.

The data and power conductors are each separately shielded, creating a double barrier, which eliminates noise from the music signal. It also results in cleaner power for any digital to analog converter (DAC) whose power is supplied via the USB interface. An unprecedented FOUR SHIELDS have been engineered into this design. In addition, larger power conductors are also incorporated which other cables cannot offer. These conductors allow for the lowest impedance in the industry.

Magnetic fields (which are not blocked by conventional shields) are also tightly controlled within the cable, minimizing noise and interference to previously unseen levels.

The silver-coated Continuous CrystalTM conductors in the Mirage USB are encased in a ultra-low density dielectric for the most transparent signal transmission. Superior dimensional tolerances are maintained to the tightest tolerance possible. The resulting uniform impedance minimizes signal reflections and is critical for the elevated sampling rates used in high-resolution audio.

Finally, the cable is custom terminated with superior gold plated connectors.

Anyone making a serious commitment to computer audio is encouraged to audition the proprietary DH Labs Mirage USB.

DH Labs Silversonic - Products - Digital - Mirage USB Cable

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Although improved USB cable design can certainly result in improved SQ, it does not address the issues of isolation etc. that devices like iFi and others attempt to do. Improved cable design is only part of the complete answer.

Although improved USB cable design can certainly result in improved SQ, it does not address the issues of isolation etc. that devices like iFi and others attempt to do. Improved cable design is only part of the complete answer.

Yes, of course.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

You do make a very good point. A few people do disproportionately fixate on cables, instead of what they are connecting. I think that is because they are just trying to optimize their existing equipment before the step of upgrading their components.

And you make another good point about the Belkin cable. Many no-name cables that come in the printer box or in the $2 bins are not even a USB cable, yes they have the right plugs, but are unshielded and nowhere near the 90ohms impedance of the specification. At least the Belkin Gold aims at delivering that, and should be the starting rung for USB cables.

But as others have said, you are presuming too much. Since you were answering my post, although indirectly you were making a statement to many people here, I will give you a little more of my equipment context. My front end has a separate linear power supply, my dac has a separate linear power supply, the DAC goes into $10K of amplification into $12k speakers. I really don't think that is where I currently need to focus. Now from the Belkin Gold and up, I would personally love to hear more of peoples experiences of differences in low to mid priced USB cables, and which ones were the best sounding standouts.

Keep the experience and feedback coming. Some good feedback on the North American brands. Would love to hear some comparisons with the European stand-outs, particularly:

Chord USB SilverPlus

Vertere Pulse d-fi usb Version 2

iFi Gemini

iFi Mercury

My front end has a separate linear power supply, my dac has a separate linear power supply, the DAC goes into $10K of amplification into $12k speakers. I really don't think that is where I currently need to focus.

Remember though, it's not how much you've spent it's how well it's setup in the room.

You do make a very good point. A few people do disproportionately fixate on cables, instead of what they are connecting. I think that is because they are just trying to optimize their existing equipment before the step of upgrading their components.

And you make another good point about the Belkin cable. Many no-name cables that come in the printer box or in the $2 bins are not even a USB cable, yes they have the right plugs, but are unshielded and nowhere near the 90ohms impedance of the specification. At least the Belkin Gold aims at delivering that, and should be the starting rung for USB cables.

But as others have said, you are presuming too much. Since you were answering my post, although indirectly you were making a statement to many people here, I will give you a little more of my equipment context. My front end has a separate linear power supply, my dac has a separate linear power supply, the DAC goes into $10K of amplification into $12k speakers. I really don't think that is where I currently need to focus. Now from the Belkin Gold and up, I would personally love to hear more of peoples experiences of differences in low to mid priced USB cables, and which ones were the best sounding standouts.

Keep the experience and feedback coming. Some good feedback on the North American brands. Would love to hear some comparisons with the European stand-outs, particularly:

Chord USB SilverPlus

Vertere Pulse d-fi usb Version 2

iFi Gemini

iFi Mercury

I've gone through quite a few USB cables and the best in my system is, unfortunately, the most expensive: the LH Lightspeed. I haven't upgraded due to not around spending that much on a USB cable, but I'll probably bite the bullet sooner or later. Unfortunately I haven't had any chance to compare it to any Chords.

what do you define as being mid-priced?

best regards

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Remember though, it's not how much you've spent it's how well it's setup in the room.

Yes completely agree, but the original argument was spending on cables vs power supplies / components.

Plus its a sore spot for me as I made a compromise with my partner and have removed most of my (Lounge) room acoustic treatments for WAF. :-(

Now that the room has a bit of echoey slap, I just want to sneak the treatments back in. Somehow. Leave it with me. ;-)

I've gone through quite a few USB cables and the best in my system is, unfortunately, the most expensive: the LH Lightspeed. I haven't upgraded due to not around spending that much on a USB cable, but I'll probably bite the bullet sooner or later. Unfortunately I haven't had any chance to compare it to any Chords.

what do you define as being mid-priced?

best regards

Yes I've heard good things about the LH Lightspeed. It was on my list to evaluate until I saw the price.

Definition of mid-price jumps higher each month. Two years ago I would have said mid-priced was $50-$70. Now it appears that mid priced is $100 - $300. This is my own subjective categorisation. Other people will have much higher watermarks for mid-priced.

My personal goal is getting a cable for less than $300 that offers audibly better performance than what I have now (Wireworld Violet V5). If something sounds better for cheaper, I am happy to go that way (I downgraded to Blue Jeans coax from Furutech and Black Cat because it sounded better in my system).