IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

I understand. :)

OTOH, I'm probably one of the few that have had the most USB cables here at home, although I never had more than four to compare side-by-side. I think you'll find them at least enlightening in one way or the other and will give you and overall view of subjective analysis in the same system. Personally, I have my own difficulties with professional reviews, although I must admit that Michael's impressions are almost exactly the same that I had had in my system with the same cables. The system, though, was pretty different.

Of course, YMMV.

Did you compare the Lightspeed with any others? Are you speaking of a Michael here or the reviewer Lavorgna? The latter's review speaks to everything but timbre/tonality, which is a big omission. For me, well-presented comparisons help illuminate the big picture about how a component/cable sound, while also shedding light on the reviewer's tastes and thoughtfulness.

Did you compare the Lightspeed with any others? Are you speaking of a Michael here or the reviewer Lavorgna? The latter's review speaks to everything but timbre/tonality, which is a big omission. For me, well-presented comparisons help illuminate the big picture about how a component/cable sound, while also shedding light on the reviewer's tastes and thoughtfulness.

Lavorgna, that's it. Had forgotten his last name.

I believe that timbre/tonality has a lot to do of how a system (and in this case, USB cable) reproduces frequencies. Timbre/tonality is nothing more than the correct representation of the harmonic spectrum, which itself relies on the accurate reproduction of harmonics. For that to happen you need frequency bandwidth, tonal balance, and correct LFs, which are the foundation of the harmonics. You can still mess up things with time alignment, but these three basic things are going to give you the main results in regards to timbres.

In that sense the Lightspeed is excellent, since it has larger bandwidth, a better tonal balance and cleaner LFs than the Ultimate. IMO, the Ultimate has a slightly fuller sound due to the fact that it's HF extension is inferior to the Lightspeed. In some systems the LS will show that the system is tilted toward the HFs, in others it will show other shortcomings or preferences.

In one to two weeks I should be getting my LS and I consider it an upgrade to my Ultimate, although price is practically the same. Just my 2 cents.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Kind of a shame that there are not so many firewire converters, only one that immediately springs to mind is the Weiss but that model is already quite old. Firewire as a bus seems better than USB 2, but Apple seem to have moved onto thunderbolt and USB3, and Windows machines never really came with firewire as standard. IIRC USB was designed mostly to be cheap, not for ultimate performance. Now we have expensive machines and cables designed for ultimate performance using a bus that was designed to be cheap.

Kind of a shame that there are not so many firewire converters, only one that immediately springs to mind is the Weiss but that model is already quite old. Firewire as a bus seems better than USB 2, but Apple seem to have moved onto thunderbolt and USB3, and Windows machines never really came with firewire as standard. IIRC USB was designed mostly to be cheap, not for ultimate performance. Now we have expensive machines and cables designed for ultimate performance using a bus that was designed to be cheap.

There are usually options where you pay more for a Gigabyte or Asus board.

Standard packages do not have them but where you build your own, which is better for audio use,

there is plenty of choice. Don't worry about Intel boards.

fmak

Other than LightSpeed who else offers a split USB interconnect.

Vertere, ifi, Revelation Audio Labs, Kingrex

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

iFi makes a very nice one. Accessory – Gemini

a pain in the ass to dress and use. It's stiff and if the two usb sockets are not

'in-line' the cable has to be twisted. They are also slightly different in length

and therefore do not line up in use. The sliders are a pain if the cable is not level

and easily moves when the cable is inserted or removed.

If I had known, I would have bought two of the single ones.

fmak

But how does it sound? You're the first I've heard of a "fit and finish" problem with the gemini. Them again I've only read reviews. I do own the iusb, I'm interested in the gemini. Right know I use an AB systems cable (not the one with the separated power and data lines). Having nothing to compare it to I don't even know if the AB makes a difference in my system. I'm not even sure if the iusb makes a difference in my yulong u18 (without the optional power supply[it fried out on me before I bought the iusb]) being fed to my yulong d18 via the aes/ebu.

But how does it sound? You're the first I've heard of a "fit and finish" problem with the gemini. Them again I've only read reviews. I do own the iusb, I'm interested in the gemini. Right know I use an AB systems cable (not the one with the separated power and data lines). Having nothing to compare it to I don't even know if the AB makes a difference in my system. I'm not even sure if the iusb makes a difference in my yulong u18 (without the optional power supply[it fried out on me before I bought the iusb]) being fed to my yulong d18 via the aes/ebu.

The cable does sound smooth and good.

However, to me there is a loss of dynamic contrast ability possibly because there are too many

inductors riding the cable.

It is actually quite difficult to ascribe quality descriptors to usb cables due to computer and dac

dependencies, but the qualities I describe extend across systems.

fmak

The cable does sound smooth and good.

However, to me there is a loss of dynamic contrast ability possibly because there are too many

inductors riding the cable.

It is actually quite difficult to ascribe quality descriptors to usb cables due to computer and dac

dependencies, but the qualities I describe extend across systems.

I think it is a great sounding cable as well, and I like it as it doesn't sound hot or out of control. It's probably the most detailed cable I have used as well probably due to a lower noise floor.

I use it with only the data (music) leg plugged in to my computer and I leave the power leg unplugged.

JRiver -> NAD M51 -> Questyle CMA800R -> HD800 - LCD-X

I use it with only the data (music) leg plugged in to my computer and I leave the power leg unplugged.

Did you listen both ways? I noted earlier that my Ciunas dac, even with a separate 5v battery line plugged in, sounded better with the USB power line hooked up too.

You are still using the shield of the cable for the 0 volts lead, as the o volts black wire and shield are usually connected together internally at the device end. If the PC uses a connection to mains earth, this will then cause some degradation due to RF/EMI

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have two of the iFi Gemini cables (I have two systems) and use them w/ the iUSB power module and the nano. I think its a great sounding cable and I can't fault the fit or finish,either. Both legs are plugged in to the iUSB power but from the computer to the iUSB powerI am using the blue usb cables that came w/ the iFi products. Great dsd sound for reasonable cost. My music files have been uprezzed to dsd128 w/ Audiogate from Korg.

Larry

You are still using the shield of the cable for the 0 volts lead, as the o volts black wire and shield are usually connected together internally at the device end. If the PC uses a connection to mains earth, this will then cause some degradation due to RF/EMI

What I have tried is to run it via the IFI iUSB but without using the wall wart or connecting the power leg of the Gemini. But I had thought the extra connections might be more detrimental then breaking the ground. It does sound ever so slightly different run that way but really it sounds quite good either way.

What I really need is a D+ D- only cable with the shield unattached to the DAC side. Anyone know of such a thing?

JRiver -> NAD M51 -> Questyle CMA800R -> HD800 - LCD-X

I was having an exchange tonight with the Ciunas dac developer and this discussion came up. His thoughts are on it are...

"My take on what is happening is that by connecting the power line side of the cable you are getting a better (lower resistance) ground connection back to the PC."

What I really need is a D+ D- only cable with the shield unattached to the DAC side. Anyone know of such a thing?

For the vast majority of devices you will still need the 0 volts (black) wire. With just a USB memory stick you can fool the PC by replacing the red and black wires on the PC end USB-A plug with something like a 220 ohms resistor, but that won't work for most other USB devices, and you are still using the shield for connecting to o volts in the PC by a more torturous and potentially noisy internal path. When using an external linear PSU, you may be able to replace the noisy incoming shield connection with a quieter earth to the DAC itself, provided that the external linear PSU uses a 3 pin mains plug.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

My Gemini usage is similar to that of Larry. I also use two Geminis with iUSBs, one into my LKS DAC, the other one goes into an eXD USB to SDIF converter feeding a Mytek Mastering version's SDIF inputs. I upsample my files also to dsd128 with Korg Audiogate. The result is, according to friends who are listening to this setup, on par with my PCM playback via a dCS Delius.

alan

My DAC functions without 5v USB power, so I got an Elijah Audio ISOLATE Cu USB, which is custom-made from braided Audience cryo'ed copper wire in tight cotton tubing with a double outer cotton sleeve. The cable has no power wire, just +/- signal and ground, and no metal shielding. It is dead quiet, and has a very relaxed, full sound with less digital harshness than my Kimber Kable silver USB. It's a keeper.

Cost was $180 for 1M length, plus $20 postage. Delivery from Australia to NJ took 8 days.

Elijah Audio - Products

My DAC functions without 5v USB power

That's interesting. I am using a SOtM transport under battery power. Wonder if I could drop the 5 volts from the cable as well? Looks like a neat product.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Here is the test they sent. Don't know if it's of any interest:

77fa7942-9707-4280-9e90-238245ac8543_zps43d90902.jpg

Intel Thin-mini ITX

I tried the test on the SOtM dx-USB-HD running on battery and it apparently doesn't need any USB power. Can you wire just Pin 2 (Data -) and Pin 3 (Data +) to a USB shell and call it a day? Maybe use solid core silver (22awg) each sheathed in Teflon tubing, with both bound inside shrink tubing? You could dress out the cable however you wished.

Intel Thin-mini ITX