IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

Cheers... Thanks for the info.

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

Anybody heard the new Pranawire Photon USB cable? Is it as good as the Lightspeed and Ultimate? One other USB cable that might rate with these USB cables is the Entreq. I have a friend that thinks the Entreq is better than the Diamond. I have not heard either of these cables but I would like to.

I received A PranaWire Photon USB cable on Saturday and have been more than a little impressed. Enough so that I finally feel as if my quest to fill that spot permanently has ended for a while, saying a lot for me. I've felt for some time that the USB cable was a weak spot in my system, for frame of reference the cable runs between a Zuma and Berkeley Alpha USB (rest of the system is Spectral DMA 360S2, Alpha S2 DAC, Wilson Sasha's and upper tier MIT cables throughout). I've pretty much rotated between Nordost BH, Oyaide Con S5, Acoustic Revive PLS & SPS. I've always felt the Acoustic Revive SPS was the best performer for me but since I reconfigured my source I could not use it given the need for 2 open USB ports. Still, even with that cable I felt it was flawed. I think all those cables are good but they each do some things well and other things not so well...none of them being complete.

Enter the Photon. I was immediately struck by the difference, not at all subtle. Scale, dynamics/extension, presence, body etc were vastly improved all while maintaining accuracy from top to bottom (critical for my taste). What was most attractive to me was the clarity, focus and detail. My experience had been that cables with exceptional scale and fuller body sound were musical but lacked midrange/upper bass clarity. The opposite of what I hear with the PranaWire which brought tremendous clarity along with it's scale and musicality. Lastly, a big reason I've historically been drawn to the Acoustic Revive cables has been presence. AR has sort of a house sound which is characterized by a unique "you are there" presence. So unique that I have not heard any other cable/product bring this, even my MIT cables, which do other things exceptionally well, are not able to do this. Well, thankfully I do not have to sacrifice this with the Photon, the presence is special and certainly equal to the AR.

Overall, if you read M.Garner's review on Tweekgeek I'd have to say he did an exceptional job of putting the Photon's skills into words. I found it to be very accurate and in line with how the cable performed in my system. There are other cables being discussed here that I have not heard but of the ones that I have this is by far the best and to be quite honest it's not close.

One thing worth note, if you plan to try one be prepared for it's size. Not a thin cable at all! It also does not have a great bend radius so you will need to consider that when selecting a length and planning logistics. Good looking and appears well made...but thick!

I received A PranaWire Photon USB cable on Saturday and have been more than a little impressed. Enough so that I finally feel as if my quest to fill that spot permanently has ended for a while, saying a lot for me. I've felt for some time that the USB cable was a weak spot in my system, for frame of reference the cable runs between a Zuma and Berkeley Alpha USB (rest of the system is Spectral DMA 360S2, Alpha S2 DAC, Wilson Sasha's and upper tier MIT cables throughout). I've pretty much rotated between Nordost BH, Oyaide Con S5, Acoustic Revive PLS & SPS. I've always felt the Acoustic Revive SPS was the best performer for me but since I reconfigured my source I could not use it given the need for 2 open USB ports. Still, even with that cable I felt it was flawed. I think all those cables are good but they each do some things well and other things not so well...none of them being complete.

Enter the Photon. I was immediately struck by the difference, not at all subtle. Scale, dynamics/extension, presence, body etc were vastly improved all while maintaining accuracy from top to bottom (critical for my taste). What was most attractive to me was the clarity, focus and detail. My experience had been that cables with exceptional scale and fuller body sound were musical but lacked midrange/upper bass clarity. The opposite of what I hear with the PranaWire which brought tremendous clarity along with it's scale and musicality. Lastly, a big reason I've historically been drawn to the Acoustic Revive cables has been presence. AR has sort of a house sound which is characterized by a unique "you are there" presence. So unique that I have not heard any other cable/product bring this, even my MIT cables, which do other things exceptionally well, are not able to do this. Well, thankfully I do not have to sacrifice this with the Photon, the presence is special and certainly equal to the AR.

Overall, if you read M.Garner's review on Tweekgeek I'd have to say he did an exceptional job of putting the Photon's skills into words. I found it to be very accurate and in line with how the cable performed in my system. There are other cables being discussed here that I have not heard but of the ones that I have this is by far the best and to be quite honest it's not close.

One thing worth note, if you plan to try one be prepared for it's size. Not a thin cable at all! It also does not have a great bend radius so you will need to consider that when selecting a length and planning logistics. Good looking and appears well made...but thick!

What's the price on this cable? Just to get an idea with which cables it's competing price-wise.

Best regards

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Google it. At The Cable Co., in New Hope, PA:

• 0.6 meter {$995.00}
  • 1.2 meter {$1295.00}
  • 1.8 meter {$1495.00}
  • 3.0 meter {$1695.00}

actually just saw it a the tweekgeek blog... thanks for posting

that means it would have to hold it's own against the Lightspeed and Ultimate.

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

actually just saw it a the tweekgeek blog... thanks for posting

that means it would have to hold it's own against the Lightspeed and Ultimate.

I am using Purist XLR's from my Benchmark to my Focals's Do you recommend highly the Purist usb?

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

I am using Purist XLR's from my Benchmark to my Focals's Do you recommend highly the Purist usb?

I'm using the Ultimate, but preferred the Lightspeed in my system.

I'm using the Ultimate, but preferred the Lightspeed in my system.
Thank you...

I've not heard either the Purist or the Lightspeed, the later which was on my list to try prior to getting the Photon. I've seen some comments reporting the Lightspeed to be thin sounding which is what always bothered me about the Oyaide and Nordost. Still, I'd love to hear it sometime to judge for myself.

the Lightspeed had less body than the Ultimate in my system, so if your system already sounds slightly thin it might not be the best fit. In my case it was simply the better fit.

I've not heard either the Purist or the Lightspeed, the later which was on my list to try prior to getting the Photon. I've seen some comments reporting the Lightspeed to be thin sounding which is what always bothered me about the Oyaide and Nordost. Still, I'd love to hear it sometime to judge for myself.

Do you live anywhere near central Texas? I would like to listen to the Photon.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

All this debate over usb cable is definitely mind boggling to me. I had no trouble on deciding to get my Benchmark or choose my Focal speakers... As that great R&R songs goes... "... just take me by the hand Arlene, who do you love?" I need some aggressive guidance here.. Please!

If you like value for money, I think there are several folks here who feel the Mapleshade Clearlink Plus, at $135, sounds better than anything else they've heard short of the $500-$1000 range.

Of course if you agree with many in the forum who say USB cables cannot make much if any difference, then you can save your money altogether and just use a spare printer cable you happen to have lying around. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I got my new USB cable, BMC's Pure USB I.

Soundstage and detail is good when just out from box, much better than my favorite HiDiamond's Diamond HID USB.

I've try many cheap audio USB cables, some will thin mid-range but "Pure USB I" won't.

Another user said, this cable plug into Windows base PC will load drivers. (I used with Mac, will check that later.)

I think there is some chips in the box.

4.jpg

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030310&p_id=6507&seq=1&format=4#feedback

so what is the real skinny with usb cable? This is the one that came with my DAC.

If you like value for money, I think there are several folks here who feel the Mapleshade Clearlink Plus, at $135, sounds better than anything else they've heard short of the $500-$1000 range.

Of course if you agree with many in the forum who say USB cables cannot make much if any difference, then you can save your money altogether and just use a spare printer cable you happen to have lying around. :)

Jud, very well said.

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

Jud, very well said.

Dave

You should give the Transparent USB Premium a try, it's the best USB cable I've found.

And since you have Transparent in the system it should be a good match.

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

I ordered the Purist ... I will let you know ... Thanks for all the input.

Hi Guys - Just received this one from MIT.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9804[/ATTACH]

The SL-Matrix (their top of the line)?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just got a Pangea USB to try out... I can haear the difference... absolutely more detail... Curious how my Purist forthcoming will compare after they are both "burnt in?" enjoy...