IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

We have released LUMIN Firmware 12 to add the multi-room feature, which allows loosely synchronized playback of music among several LUMIN or Songcast-compatible players (e.g. Linn).

- Any LUMIN model can be a 'Receiver'
- LUMIN X1 / T2 / D2 / U1 / U1 MINI / M1 can all be 'Senders'

An interesting technical aspect of our implementation is that a LUMIN sender model can perform MQA Core decoding ("first unfold") or DSD to PCM transcoding before sending to Linn players via Songcast protocol. This is noteworthy because Linn does not support MQA, and old Linn players did not support DSD.

Release notes and usage instructions on our web page should be up shortly.

A convenience switching feature is also added to LUMIN M1 for the RCA input. You may now use the LUMIN iOS app or Linn Kazoo app to switch its input to RCA. It could also be done by standby / wakeup or re-plugging in the RCA input module.

This marks 7 years of firmware upgrade since the original LUMIN (December 2012).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, texashaker said:

My new LUMIN U1 Mini Player does not play DSD files. Specifically, I am using the AES/EBU XLR Output of the LUMIN to my AES/EBU XLR Input of my stereo preamp and I am hearing hiss. 

This has nothing to do with Lumin. The AES/EBU standard does not include DSD. It is a PCM format up to 24/192

My new LUMIN U1 Mini Player does not play DSD files. Specifically, I am using the AES/EBU XLR Output of the LUMIN to my AES/EBU XLR Input of my stereo preamp and I am hearing hiss. 

Only some DAC support DoP64 over AES / SPDIF / toslink, e.g. recent Esoteric and Mytek.  Many do not.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@Philippe Bill

Please let me know the Lumin player hardware model you're using, and the library you're using - MinimServer, brand of NAS, or USB drive, etc.

Just before it crashes, were you tapping a track on the left hand side playlist, or the right hand side for adding to playlist?  Was it a single tap or double tap?

Please try turning off iCloud setting for Lumin app.  If it still crashes, please find the crash log from Settings - Privacy - Analytics - Analytics Data and e-mail to us.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Regarding DSD playback on the LUMIN U1 Mni - I am able to playback using the USB output of the LUMIN, into my USB input of my DAC/preamp.

You need to know what DSD "format" your DAC supports (if any). If your DAC supports the DOP format (DSD over PCM) then you should be able to use USB or SPDIF inputs (at least up to DSD64). What DAC are you using?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Other than very rare exceptions, most USB DSD DAC supports DoP.  However, even for those DoP DAC, only some of them support DoP over SPDIF but all of them should support DoP over USB.  DoP was designed for USB transmission in the first place.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

11 minutes ago, wklie said:

DoP was designed for USB transmission in the first place.

At the same time it is a bit strange in my view as DoP is transported in pcm package and dsd64 fits in the AES3 standard of max 24/192. But I can also understand the lower focus on implementing circuites for it. After all the chase for dsd is not that huge and I guess the real dsd-aficionades go for higher dsd128 or higher and will still need the USB solution.

No user serviceable parts inside.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

33 minutes ago, dark said:

Very clever idea

I was being silly, thought better of it, and deleted it.  The only reason to go inside would be to replace the fuse, if blown, or put in one of those super fuses!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 16.09.2015 at 18:44, Whitesnake said:

После использования Lumin T1 в течение 10 часов происходит следующее: неожиданно музыка перестала быть правильной по времени, артистка Нора Джонс, ее голос изменился медленным, мужским голосом, инструменты были медленно по времени. Я пробовал другие треки, точно так же получилось.

Я решил это, выключив приложение, выключив Lumin T1, выключив Lumin L1 Nas., Затем снова подключи питание и все запусти.

Теперь он играет в течение 3 часов снова, без каких-либо проблем.

- Так, наверное, ошибка где-то, я думаю ?? Как вы думаете, может быть проблема?

I have a similar problem, the sound is always slow