IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

46 minutes ago, hoppy100 said:

@wklie, I see the that two of the three Linear power supplies you mentioned have different specs.  The Sbooster is 12-13 volt@3A and the PLiXiR Elite BDC Linear Power Supply Kit for Lumin D2 / Lumin U1 - Mini is 12 volts@2A.  Will 2 or 3 amps both work fine with the U1 mini?

2A will be the absolute minimum required and there will be no margin.  Note that change of internal component voids warranty especially in the US.

All units shipped back for repair must have original components inside and intact.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

23 minutes ago, hoppy100 said:

What do you mean by " there will be no margin"?  I do not understand, sorry

Not wanting to comment on a specific accessory, I'll give you an analogy.  If you build a PC and calculate its max power requirements (by adding CPU motherboard and drives consumption) to be 100W, you cannot use a power supply that outputs 100W only.  Even for a good quality power supply you want a margin for it e.g. 30%, i.e. 130W.

With a LPS an additional complexity is involved as they tend to drop voltage at higher load.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

11 hours ago, wklie said:

I'm afraid I cannot disclose that.

Well, I guess I won't be taking the risk of buying a U1 unless I'm sure I won't get the occasional beginning of a track clipped off. The units are not returnable & I have no way of trying one in my home first. That's really a shame as I didn't really want to buy an Aurender as I prefer using a NAS. I will not be renewing my Roon subscription so I was looking for a better sounding solution.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

23 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

Well, I guess I won't be taking the risk of buying a U1 unless I'm sure I won't get the occasional beginning of a track clipped off. The units are not returnable & I have no way of trying one in my home first. That's really a shame as I didn't really want to buy an Aurender as I prefer using a NAS. I will not be renewing my Roon subscription so I was looking for a better sounding solution.

Can anyone else on the forum answer your question?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

FWIW, I use a Lumin U1 with Accuphase DC-950 DAC with AES3. Roon is set to allow 1000 ms settling time for sample rate changes. Temporarily, this is set to 0 ms, and in playing redbook, DSD128, 96 and back again in very quick succession, the DAC switches to the new sample rate without issues.

True, there is no adjustable setting in the Lumin app, could not find it. So the setting if anywhere from 0 to 1000 ms still works on AES3, longer is probably better for USB. I do share your concerns in that the figure should be available, maybe there's a 'retry' mechanism that complicates the actual number, I don't know for sure.

If USB output was used, that could be a different matter entirely. Since USB and DACs not quite the best of chums at times as far as drivers are concerned, let alone noise propagation, that issue is avoided with AES3. I did try USB otput in the early days of the Lumin U1, but AES3 is less 'noisier', realistic, sound stage and the rest, haven't looked back TBH.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

8 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

FWIW, I have a U1 Mini and feed an RME ADI-2 DAC via USB. I have never had the Lumin/RME combo clip the beginning of a track, regardless of sample rate changes. I rarely play an entire album, so my play queue is almost always a mix of Redbook, 24/44.2, 24/48, .., up to 24/192 (Qobuz and TIDAL, no NAS/local files). 

Far from scientific, and not using a stop watch, I set up a playlist with all the sample rates and mixed and matched them (sometime playing a couple of the same SR in a row).  I estimate sample rate changes experience a 3-4 second delay; no delay between songs with the same sample rate, even when going from 16- to 24-bit songs.

Cheers,

Gus

@wklieNow a new issue have showed up with my Lumin U1 Mini in my network with JRiver. I'm surprised as I have not done any changes in my server. It is only used as server for my music. 

On pcm (via USB), each track shift start with 2-3 seconds music than quiet for 2-3 seconds and then track plays ok until next track shift when the issue repeats. This has been the case now for 3 days. I have rebooted everything and tried with different settings in JRiver but it is coming back. I do not have this issue playing pure dsd or converting to pcm to dsd.

Any hint om where to seek the error?

1 hour ago, Ropet said:

@wklieNow a new issue have showed up with my Lumin U1 Mini in my network with JRiver.

Case closed for now...

I found and tried to uncheck "DLNA Extra" in JRiver and made a new restart. It seems to work. On top of this I got rid of "clicks" between tracks in dsd. If it comes back I open the "issue" again.

15 hours ago, Ropet said:

Case closed for now...

I found and tried to uncheck "DLNA Extra" in JRiver and made a new restart. It seems to work. On top of this I got rid of "clicks" between tracks in dsd. If it comes back I open the "issue" again.

My happyness was short lived... Today it is the same issue again. USB or AES does not matter. After first 2-3 seconds quite for 2-3 seconds and then OK until next track. Only on pcm. It is very annoying.

Thanks. I did so but no changes. The issues was when I made upsamples to 88.2. Previuosly I used 176.4. Could this be an issue? So I went back to the higher upsampling and the issue disappeared. When I go back to 88.2, the problem is there again. So I stay with 176,4, which I can live with. However, something is wrong.

I only use Lumin app.

//

1 hour ago, Ropet said:

When I go back to 88.2, the problem is there again. So I stay with 176,4, which I can live with. However, something is wrong.

Please try different sample rates, and other inputs of your DAC.  If both USB and AES cannot play 88.2kHz correctly, I'd suspect the DAC, because the two types of audio connections are entirely different.

Which DAC model is it?  It is also possible that certain old DAC may not support 88.2kHz at all.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

48 minutes ago, wklie said:

Which DAC model is it? 

I also guess it be the dac or something else throughout the chain that creates a misfit. I had no answers on it from JRiver.

Now I also tried to play a 24/48 album as native. Same problem. When I upsample to 96 no issue.

I also tried a 24/88,2 album in native. No problem but when upsample a 16/44,1 to 24/88,2 problem is back. The upsampling problem to 88,2 appears with both USB and AES.

It is only 48 in native format and upsampling to 88,2 from 44,1 that seems to an issue for now. Maximum for my dac is 24/384 and dsd128 and they are ok as well.

My dac is an Aesthetix Romulus cd/dac Signature edition. It should have crystals also for 88.2

If it just an issue with 48 and 88,2 I can live with it as there is anbeasy way out, but it should be nice to have the problem confirmed and 

On 1/14/2020 at 3:00 PM, wklie said:

Have you tried RCA coax and Toslink?

Today I bought a Toslink and a RCA Coax. It started well with RCA Coax. First two tracks upsampled from 44.1 to 88.2 worked as supposed to but on the third track the dropout of approximate 2 seconds was back after 2-3 seconds. Exactly the same story with Toslink. Increasing to 176.4 or higher, the problem is gone.

When thinking back, I think I had the same issue when playing from my laptop some years ago. This might very well be when I upsampled to 88.2 as well. I can't recall. 

I will contact Jim White at Aesthetix to have his view. As it works with higher upsampling, I can live with it, but this is not as should perform so I will continue to search the solution.

//

@Ropet In order to isolate the problem, please connect your DAC to a computer via USB and SPDIF and test the playback there (with appropriate drivers, configuration and software), bypassing the Lumin.  If you have a NAS, I think it may also be used for a similar test.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead