IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Hi, I currently have my S1's balanced output feeding my main system's L-R front speakers. I have a new headphone amp, an Audeze combination DAC/Headphone amp, that I would like to connect to the S1 via the unbalanced outputs.

Because I don't want to disconnect the XLRs every time I use the headphones, I am wondering if there are any issue with keeping the balanced outputs connected to my main preamp (which will remain powered down) when using the unbalanced outputs to drive the headphone preamp. My gut reaction is that it would be ok because the two output are well-isolated within the S1 but I'd like to hear it from Lumin engineering or someone who has done the same thing.

Thank you!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Hi, I currently have my S1's balanced output feeding my main system's L-R front speakers. I have a new headphone amp, an Audeze combination DAC/Headphone amp, that I would like to connect to the S1 via the unbalanced outputs.

Because I don't want to disconnect the XLRs every time I use the headphones, I am wondering if there are any issue with keeping the balanced outputs connected to my main preamp (which will remain powered down) when using the unbalanced outputs to drive the headphone preamp. My gut reaction is that it would be ok because the two output are well-isolated within the S1 but I'd like to hear it from Lumin engineering or someone who has done the same thing.

Thank you!

i do the same thing with my schiit gungnir multibit -- it's not an issue at all. i would expect the same from the lumin.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Because I don't want to disconnect the XLRs every time I use the headphones, I am wondering if there are any issue with keeping the balanced outputs connected to my main preamp (which will remain powered down) when using the unbalanced outputs to drive the headphone preamp.

The official position is that the audio quality may be degraded if both balanced and unbalanced outputs are used simultaneously:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/lumin-audiophile-network-music-player-14280/index38.html#post467162

However, if one of the output is connected to a preamp that has no power, I think it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

The official position is that the audio quality may be degraded if both balanced and unbalanced outputs are used simultaneously:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/lumin-audiophile-network-music-player-14280/index38.html#post467162

However, if one of the output is connected to a preamp that has no power, I think it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thank you for the link. In the response, Lumin's engineer used the word "active" to describe potential sound degradation using both the balanced and unbalanced outputs simultaneously. Of course the words "active" and "connected" mean different things and I am not entirely sure if he intended this nuance or not. Even if one of the two connected pieces of equipment, preamp and headphone amp in my case, is turned off (inactive), it still could present a load on the respective Lumin output thereby affecting the overall sound quality.

That being said, I am enjoying the sound of the connected headphone amp as I type and I'll listen to the main system after the house wakes up from its slumber.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Thank you for the link. In the response, Lumin's engineer used the word "active" to describe potential sound degradation using both the balanced and unbalanced outputs simultaneously. Of course the words "active" and "connected" mean different things and I am not entirely sure if he intended this nuance or not. Even if one of the two connected pieces of equipment, preamp and headphone amp in my case, is turned off (inactive), it still could present a load on the respective Lumin output thereby affecting the overall sound quality.

That being said, I am enjoying the sound of the connected headphone amp as I type and I'll listen to the main system after the house wakes up from its slumber.

After waking up, I remembered that my McIntosh preamp has a "Zone B" output that is tailor-made for use with my headphone system so I no longer have to have both Lumin outputs connected. Thanks to everyone for their help and comments!

I am still continuing to refine my system to integrate the headphone amp using the Lumin S1 only. My question is about the capabilities of the balanced output. Can the Lumin S1 properly drive two loads on the balanced output via a Y-splitter without degradation assuming the load impedance is not extraordinarily low? Alternately, is there some sort of a "black box" that would all two loads to be connected?

Can the Lumin S1 properly drive two loads on the balanced output via a Y-splitter without degradation assuming the load impedance is not extraordinarily low? Alternately, is there some sort of a "black box" that would all two loads to be connected?

I suspect that using a Y-splitter may be even more harmful to sound than a simultaneous connection.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I suspect that using a Y-splitter may be even more harmful to sound than a simultaneous connection.

I suspect you are right! I'll sacrifice a little convenience and work the connection issues downstream of the Lumin at the preamp part of the chain.

I just realized that I have never powered down my Lumin S1 since I've owned it which is well over a year now. I don't keep the display on at all, however, nor is there any data streaming to it during my non-listening periods.

Is this a bad idea? I good idea? Other than not being as "green" as I could be, what are the ramifications, if any, of keeping it energized all the time?

To err on the side of caution, if you live in an area with unstable electricity supply or possibility of power surges, I think turning off the power to Lumin when not using it is safer. However, there are plenty of Lumin users who like to keep their equipment always powered on, along with the rest of their gear.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

To err on the side of caution, if you live in an area with unstable electricity supply or possibility of power surges, I think turning off the power to Lumin when not using it is safer. However, there are plenty of Lumin users who like to keep their equipment always powered on, along with the rest of their gear.

Good to know! All my "critical" stuff including the Lumin is on a very robust UPS so I can weather the bad stuff coming in on the AC line.

I've never turned mine off but you could be right!

It's exactly one year since the long-departed psme promised "Roon support will be coming soon!" in post #956 of this thread. I would just like clarity from someone in management at Lumin rather than engineers that come and go. I love my Lumin but not as much as Roon.

So, are you going to support Roon or not?

Obviously Pixel Magic has some people problems judging by the regular job ads in jobsDB.com for the same skills over the last year but a year is quite long enough to make Lumin a Roon endpoint if it is indeed possible and you have the will. The statement was made but there is clearly a problem which you should share IMO because Roon enthusiasts/Lumin owners need to make equipment decisions.

So, please tell me clearly:

1. Is it currently possible to support Roon with your architecture?

2. Are you going to do it?

3. If so, when?

Thanks

That's good to hear wklie! As firmware lead, however, I am sure you confirm whether or not the Lumin (S1 in my case) architecture allows for supporting Roon. Can you confirm this?

Thank you!

Hi, someone has a problem like mine:

After installing Lumin app 6.0.4 appeared exactly the same problem with the imposition of the cover on the blank image as it was earlier versions Lumin app 3.0.5 and 3.0.6. it was described in the messages 824, 850, 851 and 853. Also 3.0.4 (if I remember correctly) did not have the cover image bug. The delay is not the problem. The problem is that it shows an empty picture and then the actual cover image scrolls up, over the empty picture.

who is now engaged in technical support, instead psme?

many times wrote pixel magic but received no response.

As the Firmware Lead, I can say that Lumin remains committed to add support for Roon Ready. I'm not from marketing so I'll not promise anything before it's ready. Schedule decisions are not for us to make.

I appreciate your reply, wklie, but you gave a similar answer a month or so back. I think we know it's you who be giving us the solution when it comes and I'm sure it'll be great but the point is, when? It's been a year already. I'm looking for a response from someone who does control scheduling. Surely someone at Lumin can commit to a timescale after one year?

The delay is not the problem. The problem is that it shows an empty picture and then the actual cover image scrolls up, over the empty picture.

As long as the cover art show ups eventually, this would not be considered as a bug, as psme stated:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/lumin-audiophile-network-music-player-14280/index35.html#post420280

However, even though it is correct, we shall see if any improvement can be done.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead