IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

There is a new filter option in Minimstreamer that allows for selecting specific sample rates, bit depths or bit rates for transcoding. In my case I just to transcode the DSD128 since the A1 cannot decode and NOT transcode DSD which are primarily downloads or SACD rips. Details on new function here: User guide

This is NOT working in the Lumin App. I validated with Simon at Minimserver that I am using the correct syntax. I tried it using the Kinsky control point and it appears to work correctly. On the Lumin app all my DSF files (64 and 128) are transcoded to 24/384.

Please try using Lumin app to _reload_ the music library from MinimServer, not just update.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Im suprised. I thought the lumin was quite a bit warmer over the Aries with more bass. So much that I changed cables to a brighter cable. For me it took about 2 weeks and the soundstage really opened up. I am running all uncompressed wav.

What do you have your settings in the lumin app at? Have you upsampled yet?

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

Im suprised. I thought the lumin was quite a bit warmer over the Aries with more bass. So much that I changed cables to a brighter cable. For me it took about 2 weeks and the soundstage really opened up. I am running all uncompressed wav.

What do you have your settings in the lumin app at? Have you upsampled yet?

I was surprised too. I have a Cambridge DAC Magic Plus which also uses two Wolfson DACs (WM8740) with a MCRU/Longdog Audio LPSU and that doesn't sound bright at all.

I have packed it away now and the app won't show me the device settings without the device to connect to. I may get it out again later and have a look - but all settings were at factory default. So if upsampling is off by default then no.

I suppose every system is different, and synergy between components is a factor in any 'fit' into a system.

I use my D1 with a LDA/MCRU LPS, and IMO the results are literally breathtaking. The D1 is simply the most 'musical' digital source I have ever heard. It obliterates my Denon DCD-A100, something I was confident would never happen, and the D1 possesses a musicality and fluidity exceptionally rare in a source.

A VERY happy D1 owner here!

Sent from my E6653 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I suppose every system is different, and synergy between components is a factor in any 'fit' into a system.

I use my D1 with a LDA/MCRU LPS, and IMO the results are literally breathtaking. The D1 is simply the most 'musical' digital source I have ever heard. It obliterates my Denon DCD-A100, something I was confident would never happen, and the D1 possesses a musicality and fluidity exceptionally rare in a source.

A VERY happy D1 owner here!

A fellow Englishman - hello!

I also have the MCRU supply on my Cambridge DMP. It is very good.

OK, well I shall buy one for the D1 and try it with that before deciding, but it is going to have to be some transformation to improve my current perception. And don't get me wrong, I am not precious about my components - I'll buy whatever is better - I have no issue selling the DAC and Aries if that's how it turns out.

I would like to try one based on your mini review , but waiting till the day it unfolds mqa . I'm confused if that entails a software or hardware upgrade or both and do you think it will ever happen?

If/when it happens, it'll perform full decode - not just unfold, and it'll be a firmware upgrade, not hardware upgrade. Please wait for further announcement.

Currently, Lumin app shows Tidal Masters (MQA) category. When a MQA music is chosen, Lumin will receive and play the 24-bit undecoded MQA.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

... the Lumin only a supplied wallwart (I had hoped to use my MCRU/Longdog LPSU but the barrel is too big) .

George, depending on the size of the barrel of the MCRU/Longdog LPSU you may be able to use it with the D1 with a simple barrel size converter, e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MJU7NFO

There is no consistency amongst audio equipment as to the size of the DC plugs in (the most common sizes being 5.5 x 2.1mm and 5.5 x 2.5mm) so I keep a handful of converters at hand.

Also the D1 can internally up sample to DSD64. For some reason upsampling, is turned off by default but you can turn it on in the settings on the Lumin app.

Sent from my M3 Max using Computer Audiophile mobile app

The Audio Tragic

Main system: Mac Mini > Audiolense XO room correction (via Audirvana+ or HQPlayer) > Weiss DAC202 > Krell 302 > Revel Ultima2 Studio

Home office: QNAP NAS > Lumin D1 > Krell KAV-400xi -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M

Work: Mac Mini > HQP > NAA (Windows 10) >Uptone Regen > Exasound e12 > SPL Phonitor 2 > Audeze LCD-XC

Software players: Audirvana+, HQ Player, Roon, Lumin, optical internet

Hi George

To setup the Lumin D1 to internally convert to DSD before sending the signal to the inbuilt Wolfson WM8741 DAC chips, do the following. In the Lumin app, go to Setup (the cog symbol). Under “Lumin” select “Option”, which will switch to a new window. Scroll down to “Re-sampling”. There are 2 options: Off (the default) or Custom. Select “Custom”, that will bring up the up-sampling options for each of the input sample rates. Then for each of the the sample rates 96kHz PCM, 88.2kHz, 48kHz, 44.1kHz select “DSD”. For 176.4kHz PCM files and above there is no DSD option as the Lumin D1 only offers DSD conversion prior to sending to the inbuilt Wolfson WM8741 DAC chips for source material of 96kHz and below. I leave mine DSD conversion

For 2.5mm to 2.1mm DC barrel adapters in the UK you can try:

CCTV 2.5mm Female Socket to 2.1mm Male Plug Power Adapter Converter | eBay

or

DC POWER ADAPTER CABLE 2.5MM x 5.5MM FEMALE to 2.1MM x 5.5MM MALE - 12CM | eBay

The above adapters will let you use the 12V LPSU on the D1 if your LPSU has a 2.5mm DC jack. However, I think some Cambridge Audio DACs use 2.5mm jacks and some use a 3.0mm DC jacks. I am not sure which one you have and your linear power power supply was built for. If the output jack on the LPSU is not 2.5mm you will need a different adapter. I suggest emailing David Brook at MCRU (a good guy who is usually very responsive) to see what the size is of the jack on the MCRU LPSU he supplied to you.

The Audio Tragic

Main system: Mac Mini > Audiolense XO room correction (via Audirvana+ or HQPlayer) > Weiss DAC202 > Krell 302 > Revel Ultima2 Studio

Home office: QNAP NAS > Lumin D1 > Krell KAV-400xi -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M

Work: Mac Mini > HQP > NAA (Windows 10) >Uptone Regen > Exasound e12 > SPL Phonitor 2 > Audeze LCD-XC

Software players: Audirvana+, HQ Player, Roon, Lumin, optical internet

Thanks AT. I didn't even know those adapters existed - you may well have just saved me £200 - thank you so much!

As a rough guide, what should upsampling be set to? Max? Or somewhere else?

From a web check the MCRU LPS for D1 seems to be £360, possibly more expensive than MCRU LPS for other models. A significant price difference in power supplies from the same brand might indicate something is significantly different under the hood.

Lumin D1 requires 12V DC 2.5A (the factory default power supply is rated for 4A). Although using a plug converter is a good idea, I recommend you check with MCRU first before you attempt to use your current LPS via a plug conversion. Using a LPS with a lower current rating than required (even if both are 12V) could be quite risky.

For the upsampling, based on what you wrote I think you can try upsampling to DSD.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

From a web check the MCRU LPS for D1 seems to be £360, possibly more expensive than MCRU LPS for other models. A significant price difference in power supplies from the same brand might indicate something is significantly different under the hood.

The MCRU LPSUs are made by a guy called Nick. I order from him directly and pay him directly and enjoy a substantial saving. I never pay more than £200 for a LPSU from him.

If/when it happens, it'll perform full decode - not just unfold, and it'll be a firmware upgrade, not hardware upgrade. Please wait for further announcement.

Currently, Lumin app shows Tidal Masters (MQA) category. When a MQA music is chosen, Lumin will receive and play the 24-bit undecoded MQA.

There's an article on the Linn blog that is very critical of MQA:

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

I tend to agree with Linn on this one. I think as music lovers we had better be 'careful of what we wish for'? To me, there is nothing wrong at all with 24-bit FLAC & DSD (where I have to).

It would seem that MQA = more money for MQA at every turn, from studios, hardware manufacturers and, ultimately for us as music lovers.

I know Linn eschewed DSD as a viable format. And, even though I chose a Lumin over a Linn for DSD playback, I think they're right about DSD in the long-term. The long-term future for high-res music lies in streaming (Qobuz/Tidal), rather than in purchasing music IMO. And streaming 24/96 or 24/192 is viable, but not with DSD.

But back to MQA. Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me. I very much doubt that MQA will sound ANY better than my high-res purchases streamed from Qobuz on my D1. It's THAT good :-)

Maybe I'm waiting to be surprised, but I think MQA is simply a marketing fad.

The long-term future for high-res music lies in streaming (Qobuz/Tidal), rather than in purchasing music IMO. And streaming 24/96 or 24/192 is viable, but not with DSD.

But back to MQA. Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me. I very much doubt that MQA will sound ANY better than my high-res purchases streamed from Qobuz on my D1. It's THAT good :-)

I'm sure streaming hi-res from Qobuz is great for those people who reside in a country supported by Qobuz. However, the hi-res albums need to be purchased from Qobuz first, and you need the more expensive Sublime subscription.

Tidal, on the other hand, offers MQA music at no additional cost over HiFi subscription. This alone makes it worthwhile for Tidal users.

(By the way, here's a link for Tidal 60-day Free Trial:

http://tidal.com/masters )

Now if Qobuz offers hi-res streaming at no additional cost over their regular HiFi subscription, and most importantly, does not require prior purchase, then the whole situation will be different.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I'm sure streaming hi-res from Qobuz is great for those people who reside in a country supported by Qobuz. However, the hi-res albums need to be purchased from Qobuz first, and you need the more expensive Sublime subscription.

Tidal, on the other hand, offers MQA music at no additional cost over HiFi subscription. This alone makes it worthwhile for Tidal users.

(By the way, here's a link for Tidal 60-day Free Trial:

http://tidal.com/masters )

Now if Qobuz offers hi-res streaming at no additional cost over their regular HiFi subscription, and most importantly, does not require prior purchase, then the whole situation will be different.

Good point. Thanks for pointing this out.

I would LOVE Qobuz to offer a 'no limits' streaming service (I'm a Sublime member myself), where I could stream everything in high-res. Maybe given time?

I just think the days of buying & downloading files to store on a NAS are probably numbered, and streaming is the way to go. Recent sales figures from the music industry would seem to support this shift, but that doesn't really apply to/include high-res music sources like Qobuz & Tidal.

• 2 weeks later...

Lumin iPhone App v 6.0.6 - Need help!

Hi Folks, I am having a senior moment and need some help. I resent my iPhone and I inadvertently set the Lumin app to the wrong music server (in this case a Sonos server). I can't figure out how to delete this server and get the correct one. Any idea how to delete the current music server?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I can't figure out how to delete this server and get the correct one. Any idea how to delete the current music server?

Please press the setting button, then press the music library and choose the correct one:

app-choose-server.png

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Please press the setting button, then press the music library and choose the correct one:

app-choose-server.png

ROFL. Thanks for the help! Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees! Have a great day!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂