IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Votes here are not necessarily seen.

Lumin has received zero e-mail request for MQA from users or *dealers* in the past 6 months or more.

Hi

I'm sorry to contradict you...but I wrote at least twice to Lumin support (possibly Peter...) about MQA implementation and recently about the possibility to add a specific track to a specific playlist...but no answer at all

My friend did the same at least once...

And we are slightly disappointed being owners of two S1 flagships....that's not a fair customer service management

Fabio

Lumin & MQA

I believe Lumin is waiting to see if it actually survives before it jumps on the bandwagon. I understand it is frustrating but I also can understand not wanting to waste time and money if it's not going to be a "standard "

btw this is coming from a person that just ordered a D1 with an sbooster power supply a couple of days ago.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

For all the happy Lumin owners out there, of which I am one, if you wish to have MQA implementation on all Lumin products, please take the time to send along an email to Lumin and let them know that the interest exists, and that they need to make it happen.

[email protected]

Thanks to all

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

This post applies to Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 Firmware 8.00roontest1 dated 2017-1-10

Our product manager decided to release this Lumin Roon firmware before it goes through the certification process. We'll initiate the certification process tomorrow.

** Since this is not certified, if anyone finds any issue, please let me know and please DO NOT post to Roon forum (because it is not certified yet)

Normal:

- "Unknown Filter" in Lumin Signal Path for resampling is not a bug - this conforms to Roon 1.3 specifications and requires Roon 1.3 to display correctly

- If Roon is playing, starting Lumin app will stop the Roon playback - this is normal

- If Roon is playing, changing some of the Lumin settings will stop the Roon playback and restart the support for Roon - this is normal

- If necessary, Roon support (and AirPlay) can be disabled by turning off Lumin Streaming

Known issues:

- Some transitions to DSD may result in a pop noise (for this reason, upsampling to DSD is not recommended) (We will try to fix this problem but it will take some time)

- If you switch to Lumin app while playing from Roon, the Lumin app display may look a little odd

- If you run into a performance issue with high sampling rates, please let me know the sampling rate(s) giving your problems and your network infrastructure - whether WiFi-LAN adapter or powerline adapter is involved

Thank you.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

To get 24-bit Tidal Masters MQA music streamed to Lumin (but without MQA decoding):

1. Use Tidal desktop app on a computer to add a Tidal Masters music to favorite

2. Play it using Lumin from Tidal favorite

3. Observe that the bitdepth is 24bit instead of 16bit - this indicates you're receiving MQA music from Tidal. Since Lumin is not decoding MQA (yet), you will see 44.1kHz or 48kHz only, not a higher bitrate.

In this setup you can verify whether MQA's claim of MQA music sounds better even without any MQA decoding is true or not.

Note: This procedure does not generally apply to other manufacturers. Some of them may still receive 16-bit non-MQA music even if playing favorite Tidal Masters music.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

To get 24-bit Tidal Masters MQA music streamed to Lumin (but without MQA decoding):

1. Use Tidal desktop app on a computer to add a Tidal Masters music to favorite

2. Play it using Lumin from Tidal favorite

3. Observe that the bitdepth is 24bit instead of 16bit - this indicates you're receiving MQA music from Tidal. Since Lumin is not decoding MQA (yet), you will see 44.1kHz or 48kHz only, not a higher bitrate.

In this setup you can verify whether MQA's claim of MQA music sounds better even without any MQA decoding is true or not.

Note: This procedure does not generally apply to other manufacturers. Some of them may still receive 16-bit non-MQA music even if playing favorite Tidal Masters music.

One additional useful info: in order to get the original 24 bits signal flow remember to put on 'Off' the Re-sampling option in the Lumin setting menu

As possibly the most vocal agitator for this, well done Lumin Team and thanks. The cynic in me suspects this has to do with CES 2017 but, credit where it's due, it's done and it works.

It works and behaves exactly as described for me and it sounds good. On a first listen, it's close to a microRendu with LPS-1. I can't find any issues. Good luck with the certification.

ESL, are you saying the MicroRendu sounds better then the Lumin?

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

As possibly the most vocal agitator for this, well done Lumin Team and thanks. The cynic in me suspects this has to do with CES 2017 but, credit where it's due, it's done and it works.

It works and behaves exactly as described for me and it sounds good. On a first listen, it's close to a microRendu with LPS-1. I can't find any issues. Good luck with the certification.

Hi ESL

being a Lumin S1 user but not a Roon user (and very interested to it)...could you help me in understanding the steps I have to do in order to use Lumin as a Roon speaker?

As far as I understood:

1. Update Lumin firmware to 8.00

2. install Roon server on a Mac or PC connected via ethernet or wifi to a music router

3. Keep the Mac/PC turned on when you want to use Lumin as Roon speaker

4. Install Roon remote app on your iPad

5. Select Lumin as a speaker for Roon on the app

6. Select 'Lumin streaming' in the Lumin settings from Lumin app

7. Enjoy Roon using the Roon remote app

Are these steps correct?

Could you help me also in claryfing whether the music flow physically pass through your Mac/PC when the Roon server has been? Or the Tidal streaming flow (I mostly use) just follows its normal path (from DSL cable to router to Lumin) being only orchestrated by Roon server software?

Sorry for too many questions

Appreciated suggestions also from other expert Lumin/Roon users

Fabio

@fabio. Yes, that's pretty much it. At Step 5 you should see your S1 appear automagically as a Roon Ready RAAT device under Settings/Audio on your iPad. It will look like this

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 15.01.37.png

Once you have that you are golden. Name it what you like then select it as a zone on main page (bottom right)

My understanding is same as yours. Under this setup Roon Core on computer is just managing things under instruction from the control point in iPad.

The more I listen, the more I like Lumin as renderer under Roon. It's a heavenly match. Good luck.

My setup is as below

Router--> melco N1A-->(ethernet) lumin A1

If I use roon and put melco as the source of music, is the music data transmitted from melco to lumin using the ethernet cable, or is by streaming?

Asking this because I am not sure upgrading the ethernet cable between melco to lumin will bring any improvement if I use roon instead of lumin iOS app.

Planning to upgrade to sablon ethernet.

Hope someone can clarify.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pre-power-speakers:TAD C-600, TAD M700S, TAD CR1TX

Digital: TAD D-700, Grimm MU1/ Analog: CH Precision P1, Thales Slim II + easy tonearm + Ikeda Akiko

Isolation: SRA rack, G clef Wellfloat / Cabling: AET, SAEC Stratosphere, Jorma AES/LAN, Mad Scientist Audio, Tiglon

@fabio. Yes, that's pretty much it. At Step 5 you should see your S1 appear automagically as a Roon Ready RAAT device under Settings/Audio on your iPad. It will look like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32349[/ATTACH]

Once you have that you are golden. Name it what you like then select it as a zone on main page (bottom right)

My understanding is same as yours. Under this setup Roon Core on computer is just managing things under instruction from the control point in iPad.

The more I listen, the more I like Lumin as renderer under Roon. It's a heavenly match. Good luck.

@ESL

Thanks for the help

So, basically you're saying that using Roon coupled with Lumin (and Roon remote app) gives you a better sound quality than using Lumin alone (with Lumin app)?

Or is it just the convenience of having all the music in a single container?

Regards and thanks

Fabio

@fabiodeluca No, I don't think that's the case. I doubt very much whether I could reliably tell the difference between Lumin playing with it's native Lumin app and Roon playing through Lumin as a zone. There might be differences for others with better ears than me, I'm simply happy with Roon. Lumin's app is excellent and the sound, too. For me, it's the rich metadata, GUI & slicker Tidal intergration of Roon that matters. Now I think we extremely fortunate to have such a great start to 2017 we can forget Trump & Renzi for a while. Roon interface with Lumin sound is about as good as it gets.

I've listened pretty much all afternoon and I think I was wrong in comparing Lumin sound with 'others'. As of now Lumin is the gold standard.

Forget

@fabiodeluca No, I don't think that's the case. I doubt very much whether I could reliably tell the difference between Lumin playing with it's native Lumin app and Roon playing through Lumin as a zone. There might be differences for others with better ears than me, I'm simply happy with Roon. Lumin's app is excellent and the sound, too. For me, it's the rich metadata, GUI & slicker Tidal intergration of Roon that matters. Now I think we extremely fortunate to have such a great start to 2017 we can forget Trump & Renzi for a while. Roon interface with Lumin sound is about as good as it gets.

I've listened pretty much all afternoon and I think I was wrong in comparing Lumin sound with 'others'. As of now Lumin is the gold standard.

Forget

@ESL

I quote you 100%...;-)

Now we just miss Lumin MQA unfolding capabilities...let's cross fingers

Fabio

Known issues:

- Some transitions to DSD may result in a pop noise (for this reason, upsampling to DSD is not recommended) (We will try to fix this problem but it will take some time)

DSD pop sound should be fixed in firmware 8.00roontest2.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Router--> melco N1A-->(ethernet) lumin A1

If I use roon and put melco as the source of music, is the music data transmitted from melco to lumin using the ethernet cable, or is by streaming?

Asking this because I am not sure upgrading the ethernet cable between melco to lumin will bring any improvement if I use roon instead of lumin iOS app.

I'm not familiar with Melco, but I tried to google its support for Roon, and it appears to be not supported.

If you use Roon with Lumin, the music is always streamed from Roon Core to Lumin.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5. Select Lumin as a speaker for Roon on the app

6. Select 'Lumin streaming' in the Lumin settings from Lumin app

Are these steps correct?

Could you help me also in claryfing whether the music flow physically pass through your Mac/PC when the Roon server has been? Or the Tidal streaming flow (I mostly use) just follows its normal path (from DSL cable to router to Lumin) being only orchestrated by Roon server software?

Step 5 and 6 are out of order. The Lumin Streaming setting must be enabled before Roon will see the presence of Lumin on the network.

If you use Roon to play Tidal using Lumin, the music flow is from Tidal (internet) to Roon Core, then to Lumin.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Step 5 and 6 are out of order. The Lumin Streaming setting must be enabled before Roon will see the presence of Lumin on the network.

If you use Roon to play Tidal using Lumin, the music flow is from Tidal (internet) to Roon Core, then to Lumin.

@wklie

Basically the correct sequence is:

1. Update Lumin firmware to 8.00

2. Select 'Lumin streaming' in the Lumin settings from Lumin app

3. install Roon server on a Mac or PC connected via ethernet or wifi to a music router

4. Keep the Mac/PC turned on when you want to use Lumin as Roon speaker

5. Install Roon remote app on your iPad

6. Select Lumin as a speaker for Roon on the app

7. Enjoy Roon using the Roon remote app

Is that correct? You mention step 5 and 6 are in the wrong sequence but after rearranged step 5 I would not know where to put step 6...I assume Lumin is selectable on the Roon remote app after installed it...;-)

Concerning the signal flow, you are telling that in absence of Roon server Tidal data goes directly from DSL network to router and then to Lumin, while when you install Roon server the signal makes a detour from the router to the Mac/PC with Roon server installed and then back to router and eventually to Lumin...is that correct?

If it is so, I assume it should be some sound quality deterioration with at least two more steps and a passage into a computer...

Regards

Fabio

Our product manager decided to release this Lumin Roon firmware before it goes through the certification process. We'll initiate the certification process tomorrow.

Someone notified Roon Labs about this, and we were ordered to remove the firmware.

We will ship a unit for certification to Roon Labs today.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Status update:

- Beta firmware for Roon support has already been made for all models of Lumin players and transport

- Roon Labs has received the test unit and begun the certification process - I don't know how long it's going to take

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 4 weeks later...
For those using Lumin app, there should now be a Masters category under Tidal. If you don't see it, please kill the app and retry tomorrow.

Hello, for several days I am a user of Lumin A1. Lumin is a great.

Is there a chance to improve the operation of the app on android?

Wysłane z mojego HTC One M9 przy użyciu Tapatalka