IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Agreed. "Bright" is not a term I would apply to either the A1 I used to own or the S1 I've got now. BTW, is that a '67 427 c.i. in your Avatar? I have a yellow '67 427 myself.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Firmware 8.01 is released.

Roon users please update Roon to Build 209 or later. The Roon app Build 209 should show up in a few days.

Roon 30-day trial:

https://www.nativedsd.com/information/roon

Roon can be integrated with Tidal, Tidal 60-day trial:

http://tidal.com/masters

Hi Peter, good news!

Is it reasonable to think that 8.01 and 7.09 versions should sound the same? (I do not use Roon server at the moment)

Regards

Fabio

I have been experiencing an oddity with sound being produced by my Lumin S1. I'll call it "pre-sound" and it sounds very much like "tape bleed" that I used to experience long ago when using reel-to-reel tapes that were stored for extended periods of time and the magnetic information stored on subsequent layers of the tape would bleed onto the next one. For instance, with music ripped from a particular SACD when one song ends and you hit the gap of silence between songs there can be heard a very low level copy of the initial part of the next song before the normal level song starts.

This phenomenon can't be heard when playing the SACD directly from the Oppo player that I use. I can't imagine it being the Lumin but, possibly, a result of the ripping process?

Weird, huh?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

My guess is it might be related to the mastering of the SACD. Please try another DSD album from a different company to see if you hear the same.

Since Lumin plays music in the playlist in a gapless manner, please also insert non-DSD music from a different album in between the SACD tracks, see if you still hear those "low level" music content.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

My guess is it might be related to the mastering of the SACD. Please try another DSD album from a different company to see if you hear the same.

Since Lumin plays music in the playlist in a gapless manner, please also insert non-DSD music from a different album in between the SACD tracks, see if you still hear those "low level" music content.

Thanks wklie. My issue appears to be limited to this SACD.

Of course, goodness I hope that didn't come across the wrong way. I really wanted it to work, but it didn't. A presentation thing for me.

No, of course not ;-) It's just that I have never experienced any excess brightness from my D1. Clarity and transparency, yes. But not brightness. But I suppose everyone's systems are different, and synergy plays a part I suppose.

The ONLY problem I have with my D1, is that it makes listening to any other digital source in my system almost impossible. I used to absolutely love listening to my (very good) SACD player, but the D1 absolutely trounces it. Listening to the D1, you feel like you're 'there' in the music, whereas other digital sources sound artificial by comparison.

I'm sorry that the D1 didn't work out for you. I'm now wondering how much better an A1 or S1 would be in my system, but I'm scared I would 'crack' if I heard one! lol

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, wklie said:

I wonder why this post got a dislike, especially when this turns out to be more or less correct.

I don't know and hope it wasn't me.  Your idea was spot on, dead-on-balls accurate.

Great new feature on new Lumin app release (MQA sticker). Thanks Peter!

Now that Lumin demonstrated that it is feasible putting a sticker on an album cover to identify the sampling/bit features, that should be also feasible for all the other tracks and albums stored in NAS, etc...which I am requiring to Peter/Lumin since many many time...;-)

Hi! I'm pretty new in this forom.

Do you know if LUMIN player's software can be restored to the previous version?
I use my player with "Volume control on" because it is connected to an activespeaker system, thus the volume can be controlled only through LUMIN. The new software automatically turns this function to "Off". Even if I turn it back "On" after one usage the software turns it "Off" automatically again... and I cannot use the "+" and "-" functions of the app.

Setup:

D1 (8.02) - Minimserver

iPad Mini (9.3.5, only for the Lumin app, 6.0.7)

What do you think is it the D1 or the LUMIN app's fault?

Many thanks for your help!

Good to know as I use the volume control from time to time as a whole house remote.  Guess I will stay on 6.0.6 until this is resolved. 

Music server: Two Lumin L1 music servers

Digital to Analog Converter(s): Lumin S1, two D1s and a D2

Amplifier(s): Peachtree Audio Grand Integrated

Loudspeakers: Martin Logan Summit X

Headphones: Stax SR-009

Headphone Amplifier(s): Woo Audio WES

For what it's worth, I am using:

S1 (8.02) - JRiver

iPad Air (10.2.1 and Lumin app 6.0.7)

I experience the system automatically turning the volume control function off by itself.  The volume control "switch" does switch off by itself.

When using Linn Kazoo, however, the volume control works properly.

I just went to the site and read it. It sounds like mqa is  right now, not future.  

On a side note, anyone who does the update, it enables the roon. If your not using roon, turn it off. I noticed a sound difference with it on and off.   

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

18 hours ago, Hicks said:

I use my player with "Volume control on" because it is connected to an activespeaker system, thus the volume can be controlled only through LUMIN. The new software automatically turns this function to "Off".

Sorry about the bug with app 6.0.7.  We have submitted app 6.0.8 to App Store for approval on March 25.

Meanwhile, please use Esoteric Sound Stream app (which is almost the same thing) if you need volume control, before the Lumin app update becomes available.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead