IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Android APP??!!

When TIDAL will be support?? GRRRRRR

smile.png)

While you are waiting for TIDAL support with the LUMIN Android app, you could always try other OpenHome supporting Android controller apps that have TIDAL support and should work with the LUMIN network music player:

Linn Kazoo

BubbleUPnP

BubbleDS Next

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Cebolla

are you sure? I try but it does not work..

are you meaning on android device or via Windows 7/8/10?

While you are waiting for TIDAL support with the LUMIN Android app, you could always try other OpenHome supporting Android controller apps that have TIDAL support and should work with the LUMIN network music player:

Linn Kazoo

BubbleUPnP

BubbleDS Next

Ciao Stefano.

[br]Lumin T1 - Transrotor Darkstar - McIntosh MA7000 - Synology NAS - Magnepan 1.7 - PS Audio P10 Power Plant.

They are Android apps.

Which of the apps did you try?

What is the actual problem, eg, can you actually see & control the Lumin with the app, can you access TIDAL, etc?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Sorry e try and it works well.

Thank you and regards.

They are Android apps.

Which of the apps did you try?

What is the actual problem, eg, can you actually see & control the Lumin with the app, can you access TIDAL, etc?

Ciao Stefano.

[br]Lumin T1 - Transrotor Darkstar - McIntosh MA7000 - Synology NAS - Magnepan 1.7 - PS Audio P10 Power Plant.

• 2 weeks later...

But anyway

i bought a piece that cost about 3k€, i send an email 2 weeks ago to the support and i have no reply since today...

i loose something in the contract?

Maybe someone can explain?

Lumin support???!!! cucuuuu

Sorry e try and it works well.

Thank you and regards.

Ciao Stefano.

No, but in any case what do you mean?

Support is support, so i ask you do you have a local brain?

do you have a local dealer ?

Ciao Stefano.

JRemote is only a remote control app for the JRiver Media Center software, so it cannot be used directly with anything else.

You can use JRemote to remote control JRiver Media Center's built-in standard UPnP/DLNA control point in order to control a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer. This does of course require the JRiver Media Center to be running on a networked machine for this to work, since it's the JRiver Media Center that's actually controlling the standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, not JRemote as all JRemote is doing is controlling the JRiver Media Center.

If the Lumin still supports standard UPnP/DLNA streaming (I believe it did at one time), then you should be able to use JRemote plus JRMC in this way. However, if the Lumin only supports OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) streaming, it won't be possible since standard UPnP/DLNA control points cannot access OpenHome renderers.

-- Jo Cox

We test against LUMIN and LINN renderer and MinimServer and the system works fine for me and around 20 users that I know personally.
Hi Psme,

I don't know if you are aware, but the OpenHome Player is now officially available from openhome.org, for installing on Linux, Mac, Windows & Raspberry Pi computers.

Unfortunately, neither the iOS Lumin nor Android Lumin apps can detect the OpenHome Player (I tried the Windows version). All other OpenHome control points I tried had no such problems, eg, Linn Kazoo, BubbleDS Next & BubbleUPnP.

I even tried the BubbleUPnP Server created OpenHome renderer with the OpenHome Player (as it presents a standard UPnP AV renderer as well as an OpenHome renderer) and only then was the Lumin app able to detect & control the OpenHome Player.

The same issue with the Lumin app has been reported for the Mac version of the OpenHome Player:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/best-pc-universal-plug-dplay-software-streaming-setup-19296/index2.html#post520236 (4th paragraph)

John

-- Jo Cox

JRemote is only a remote control app for the JRiver Media Center software, so it cannot be used directly with anything else.

You can use JRemote to remote control JRiver Media Center's built-in standard UPnP/DLNA control point in order to control a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer. This does of course require the JRiver Media Center to be running on a networked machine for this to work, since it's the JRiver Media Center that's actually controlling the standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, not JRemote as all JRemote is doing is controlling the JRiver Media Center.

If the Lumin still supports standard UPnP/DLNA streaming (I believe it did at one time), then you should be able to use JRemote plus JRMC in this way. However, if the Lumin only supports OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) streaming, it won't be possible since standard UPnP/DLNA control points cannot access OpenHome renderers.

It works. I'm using it right now. It's configured like this:

I use unRAID for my NAS. This holds all my music files.

I have a laptop hanging on the network with JRiver installed (that's all this laptop is used for). It's running JRiver media center and Media Network. (DLAN)

I have a iPad with JRemote installed - pulling the data from the laptop (JRiver) via the NAS. JRemote points to the Lumin to play.

It's a pretty cool experience.

I'm also using JRemote for Android on my Samsung Galaxy S5. This works good as well.

They work better "in my case" compared to the Lumin app. Because my NAS in not a Qnap or Synology.

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition / Stax SR-009, SR-007 MKI, SR-007 MKII

Lumin A-1 Network Player

iPAD Pro / JRemote App

JRiver 21 / unRAID NAS

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question the cause and the answer to which eludes me. I have a Lumin S1 being fed data from a QNAP NAS via JRiver MC21. The DSD128 files on the QNAP were recently downloaded from one of the more popular HD sites. JRMC21 identifies the files as DSF files having a bitrate of 11289kbps and I am assuming this is at a 1-bit word length.

What I don't understand is why the Lumin's front panel display reports the files as 176.4/24 WAV at an 8.467 Mbps data rate.

Can someone please help me with the math, if there's even a formula for converting between DSD and PCM, or possibly give me and idea about what JRMC is doing to the files before sending them to the Lumin?

Thanks in advance!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I have a question the cause and the answer to which eludes me. I have a Lumin S1 being fed data from a QNAP NAS via JRiver MC21.

Your case means that something in the music chain converted the DSD to PCM before sending it to S1. The math is like this:

176400 x 24 x 2 (stereo) = 8467200 bps

I've verified that on the recommended setup (i.e. using MinimServer) S1 displays DSD 5.645MHz 1 bit on the front panel.

1. In JRiver, please make sure you've enabled Bitstream DSD (DoPE), disabled all format conversion and DSP Studio.

2. Please try serving the same file from within JRiver instead of QNAP.

3. Please try installing MinimServer on QNAP, and disable its own built-in media server.

Installing MinimServer on a QNAP NAS

4. Please try using Lumin app to send the file from MinimServer running on QNAP to S1.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 3 weeks later...

From the Roon 1.2 release:

Roon Ready: IQaudIO signal path branding and line art

Roon Ready: exaSound signal path branding and line art

Roon Ready: Musica Pristina signal path branding and line art

Roon Ready: Sonore microRendu signal path branding and line art

Squeezebox signal path branding and line art

LH Labs USB signal path branding and line art

dCS signal path branding and line art

and for Lumin? Last news November 2015. SDK been out for months. Embarrassing.

• 1 month later...

The android application stop working about 2 months ago, i'm using zenphone2 android 5...

Also Bubbleupnp kazoo and etc.etc. does not display Tidal access... embarassing.

Ciao Stefano.

Trying to use the Lumin App to control playback to a DCS Rossini. I have local network playback running, but cannot get Tidal working.

Current setup is Synology NAS, Minim Server, BubbleUPnP Server. I can browse Tidal, so the login process is OK. When I go to play a song, it just sits at "0" seconds and nothing starts. Can go back to a local network file and it will play just fine.

Trying to determine if I have overlooked something in the setup, or perhaps the DCS just not compatible (does the same with Linn Kazoo)

Thanks,

Jimmy

I have a Lumin D1, and can play tracks sourced from Tidal, NAS drive (Synology DS 216+ with minim server) and USB flash drive. The Lumin app plays flawlessly.

I tried to compare the sound quality differences between inputs (Ethernet NAS drive vs. USB thumb drive). It appears that USB has slightly better imaging and dynamics. Wonder if this is what most Lumin users experiences.

Can the Lumin users share their experiences with USB vs Ethernet? Which one sounds better? Thanks!

I tried to compare the sound quality differences between inputs (Ethernet NAS drive vs. USB thumb drive). It appears that USB has slightly better imaging and dynamics. Wonder if this is what most Lumin users experiences.

Elsewhere I read several Lumin users' comments about preferring the Ethernet input to USB HDD - I think USB thumb drive and USB SSD will likely give different results.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I have a Lumin D1, and can play tracks sourced from Tidal, NAS drive (Synology DS 216+ with minim server) and USB flash drive. The Lumin app plays flawlessly.

Can the Lumin users share their experiences with USB vs Ethernet? Which one sounds better? Thanks!

Pretty much the same setup as you. My A1 and D1 to me sound the best via the Ethernet, the wife likes the USB connection. All I know the Lumin sounds very nice both ways, USB and Ethernet.

The Truth Is Out There

Wklie and mav52,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I also read somewhere that Lumin streaming through Ethernet should be better, but my experience is not.

Mav52 - can you describe why the ethernet sounds better? In my case, the USB drive seems to have better focus and more pin point imaging. It seems more dynamic and "quicker". The Ethernet is still great, but just not as good.

Wonder if there is something I should tweak in my NAS set up?

In my set up, I have the Synology NAS powered by a linear PSU. It is about 20 feet CAT5 run from my router to the Lumin. I have both NAS and Lumin connected to the FIOS modem/router. Or would it be better to connect them via a separate switch from the router? Will do more tests and report back.

Perhaps the USB thumbdrive you're using emits particularly lower noise than other means. While I don't have definite recommendations, you may consider LPS upgrade for the D1, and take a look at this:

Streaming & high-end switch?

Wklie,

Thanks for the article. It certainly helps to explain noise being generated from the power supply of the switches. I have already replaced the Lumin switching PSU to the HDPlex Linear PSU. Also, I have an Astron Linear PSU powers the Synology. Maybe I should look into replacing the switches PSU. Again, thanks for your inputs.

I have a Lumin A1/Synology DS1813/Minimserver set up that I have been using for some time and quite pleased with. Recently I purchased a Korg DS-DAC-10R for ripping vinyl at high resolution. My first rip was the Music Matters 33 1/3 of Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue that I ripped as DSF in DSD64 and also 24/196 to compare. I am still evaluating those two formats, but it has me thinking that if I am going to spend the time to rip vinyl, shouldn't I rip a the highest resolution I can? That would be DSD128 with the Korg. Of course the A1 cannot play DSD128. I was wondering if is was possible to use MinimStreamer to transcode from DSD128 to DSD64 with the Lumin? Does anyone know if this works? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I ran in to a problem with the Lumin being able to play FLAC DXD files (24/352). I downloaded several 24/352 files from the 2L High

Resolution Test Bench site. The only one that would play on the Lumin was the wav files. None or the FLAC would play. I pulled the files into Metadatics to tag them. I found they were already tagged.

When I select the FLAC files to play on the Lumin nothing happens. Any ideas?