IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I am having a senior moment and can't seem to find the answer to my question. Will my S1 handle 352/24 bit files in one or more formats? I've got 192/24 bit flacs that play nicely but am not sure about the higher sampling rates. Please help!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 support playback of 352kHz or 384kHz in WAV or AIFF format. For 352kHz or 384kHz FLAC or ALAC, please convert them to WAV or AIFF first, or set the UPnP server to transcode it automatically.

Lumin U1 / M1 are able to handle 352kHz or 384kHz in FLAC or ALAC natively.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

For the BNC output on the D1, is that AES3id, or IEC60958-2(?).

Am sure getting tired of PC player shortcomings and reliability. Would have gone for a Sony HAP-Z1ES, but are no longer available and the track count restriction would have meant removing 50% of the library :( Lumin have less reliability problems compared with Aurender based on a very superficial look at this thread, although most software has bugs anyway.

I would have liked DSD128 playback, suppose you can't have everything, DSD64 is OK, have plenty of and FLAC. Gapless is essential, especially for DSD, no glitches, for real? The T1 is tempting with the separate PSU, although the D1 would suit functionality I'm after.

What's the PSU cable length on the T1?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The BNC output of S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 is standard SPDIF but using the BNC connector instead of the common RCA connector.

The Lumin SPDIF can output DSD64 in DoP format, but you need to make sure the receiving DAC supports DoP from SPDIF, not just from USB input. For those DAC that does not support DSD at all, or does not support DoP from SPDIF input, Lumin can also be set to convert DSD64 to PCM 176.4kHz on-the-fly.

Lumin U1 supports USB output of DSD128 in DoP format. U1 also supports AES/EBU output of DSD64 in DoP format.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 support playback of 352kHz or 384kHz in WAV or AIFF format. For 352kHz or 384kHz FLAC or ALAC, please convert them to WAV or AIFF first, or set the UPnP server to transcode it automatically.

Thanks wklie! Just so I can set my expectations and understanding properly, there is an architecture or hardware limitation that prevents the S1 (and the others) from not being able to handle FLAC at higher than 192khz sampling rate, correct?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
This begs the question, can DSD128 be available as a download/firmware upgrade, or does it need hardware changes? So long as DSD128 is accepted internally via the analog outs, that will do me quite well. The digital outs have a lower priority.

I may be laboring under a delusion, but I think my S1 can handled DSD128. I'll have to go back and check after I wake up. I'll let you know.

to @ wklie, I see the M1 is DSD128 capable, and all the others are not.

This begs the question, can DSD128 be available as a download/firmware upgrade, or does it need hardware changes? So long as DSD128 is accepted internally via the analog outs, that will do me quite well. The digital outs have a lower priority.

Lumin S1 and M1 players support DSD128 via analog outputs.

Only Lumin U1 transport supports DSD128 (DoP) digital output via USB.

All Lumin players and transport except M1 support DSD64 (DoP) digital output.

Lumin A1, T1 and D1 players support up to DSD64 only, and cannot be made to support DSD128 because it requires significant hardware changes.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi wklie and thanks for your clarifications.

Has Pixel ever considered an upgrade program for those of us who have sunk major dollars into an older player, like the S1, to bring it up to the latest capabilities?

same for me. The S1 has been released a loooong time ago. It'time for a new flagship now :-)

LOL. My wallet will never be able to afford the next flagship :) I was simply wondering if the S1 was built to be "future-proof".

That being said, the S1 is brilliant in what it does!

Any word on new product announcements at the upcoming CES 2017? Keeping my fingers crossed for a new flagship player! TIA

Perhaps an updated version for DSD256 or even DSD512 would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

I am a owner of both Lumin A1 and the S1. The pricing of S1 is completely wrong, in my opinion. There is no reason why the S1 should be priced more than twice the price of the A1. It shows when you lower the price of the S1 by as much as 40% at the recent HK AV show.

So now there is going to be another flagship, I hope you would have more sensible pricing to keep your loyal fans.... :)

You can keep to the HK spirits of recycling by offering board upgrades....you won't be polluting the earth with scrap A1, S1 casings.

(Audio)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Wklie,

Being a very happy Lumin A1 owner, switched from NAS playback long ago, now listening to Tidal Hifi and Qobuz, I am very curious if the A1 will be updated to support MQA decoding of the Tidal Masters, now included with Tidal Hifi?

Likewise any date for Roon Support?

All the best from Denmark!

We have been working on Roon Ready support for a while, hopefully we'll submit it for Roon certification by the end of this month.

Lumin is seriously considering about support for MQA, but there is no decision at the moment.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

We have been working on Roon Ready support for a while, hopefully we'll submit it for Roon certification by the end of this month.

Lumin is seriously considering about support for MQA, but there is no decision at the moment.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Roon support is coming soon! Great News!

MQA support, I hope you Will do this!

Otherwise i have read that Roon Will offer Tidal MQA support, and then I Can go that Way, but I do prefer not having to have a computer on, at the moment Lumin App is perfect for me on iPad.

I add my vote to Lumin supporting MQA. I love my A1 and the Lumin app. I have been ripping vinyl to DSD128 and transcoding to LPCM 24/384 as well as buying HiRes downloads...Having MQA has the potential to making Tidal my primary source. Keep us updated on your decision. Thanks for a great product.