IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Is there a chance to improve the operation of the app on android?

All Lumin offerings are continually improved. An iPad is recommended though, because you can AirPlay from iOS app (e.g. Spotify, YouTube, etc.) to Lumin.

On Android, besides Lumin app (which is required for changing settings and firmware upgrade), you can use other apps for music playback, such as Linn Kazoo and Bubble DS Next.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Happy lumin A1 user here. Happy with continuous support and update from lumin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pre-power-speakers:TAD C-600, TAD M700S, TAD CR1TX

Digital: TAD D-700, Grimm MU1/ Analog: CH Precision P1, Thales Slim II + easy tonearm + Ikeda Akiko

Isolation: SRA rack, G clef Wellfloat / Cabling: AET, SAEC Stratosphere, Jorma AES/LAN, Mad Scientist Audio, Tiglon

For those using Lumin app, there should now be a Masters category under Tidal. If you don't see it, please kill the app and retry tomorrow.

That is awesome! I can't wait to try it when I get home tonight.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

[ATTACH]33272[/ATTACH]

Working!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Wlkie, is this just software decoding or are we getting both hardware and software decoding?

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

Hello all - new member posting for the first time.

In December I bought a Metrum Musette DAC and the top model Auralic Aries with LPSU to add to my, until then, CD based system. Everything is performing wonderfully; the only issue is that I can't get the Lumin D1 out of my mind. I have decided my next project is a dedicated headphone station, so essentially a complete 2nd system outputting to headphones instead of speakers.

I have commissioned a carpenter to make a custom oak rack (he also made the rack for my main system - superb), and I am having a headphone amp made for me by the same company that make my mono amps, passive pre, cables and speakers; so four internal power supplies, two very expensive stepped attenuators to allow independent channel volume control etc.

Anyway, the next step in my thinking was source. I really want a very high quality source feeding the HA and as I have an Aries considered the Aries Mini. That could be used without an external DAC, but it uses the ESS Sabre 9018 which I don't like - had an MDAC as my first DAC and it gave me headaches. So I started thinking about the D1 again. I considered it when choosing the Aries but never really took the thought any where. Then I started wondering how the D1 might perform in my main system? So, would it be sonically 'better' than the Musette and Aries?

I can get one on a 14 day trial so I can make up my own mind, but really grateful for any insight.

I like the idea of having one box rather than two, particularly if it's sonically better. I don't actually need an external DAC - I only have two sources and the CDP has a perfectly decent DAC so that can go analogue to the Pre.

I have read loads of reviews and posts but nothing that tells me what I want to know. Hoping you guys can help.

is this just software decoding or are we getting both hardware and software decoding?

Currently when you stream a Master album to Lumin, it'd be 24-bit 44.1kHz or 48kHz without any MQA decoding. If/When Lumin supports MQA, it'll be fully decoded.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Pray for the best. Lol

Pre-power-speakers:TAD C-600, TAD M700S, TAD CR1TX

Digital: TAD D-700, Grimm MU1/ Analog: CH Precision P1, Thales Slim II + easy tonearm + Ikeda Akiko

Isolation: SRA rack, G clef Wellfloat / Cabling: AET, SAEC Stratosphere, Jorma AES/LAN, Mad Scientist Audio, Tiglon

Hi, as I wrote yesterday on the forum I am a happy owner of Lumin L1 and A1.

Today, when enabled, disk hardware L1 does not have any music. How can I recover? Why just disappeared?

Of town thank you for your help. Yours, Christopher

Wysłane z mojego Lenovo A5500-F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Today, when enabled, disk hardware L1 does not have any music. How can I recover? Why just disappeared?

Whenever you unplug the L1 USB from the computer, please make sure Empty Trash is performed, and Safely Remove it from the computer.

PROCEDURE TO RESET LUMIN L1

=====================

The following procedure tells the L1 to recreate its database from existing music in its HDD. Although this is not a format procedure and is not expected to cause data loss, having backup of your music is preferred.

1. Firstly, please connect the L1 to the computer via USB, and make sure the Trash is empty. Then safely remove the L1, then disconnect the USB.

2. Make sure USB is disconnected, and standby the L1

3. Unplug the power from L1

4. Press and hold the L1 power button

5. While still holding the L1 power button, plug in the power cord

6. Keep holding the L1 power button for about 30-40 seconds - during which observe the various LEDs blink. Keeping holding it until L1 finally stops blinking, or goes into Standby mode with red LED on.

7. Connect the L1 network cable (if it is not already connected)

8. If the red LED is on, press the L1 power button once to bring it online

9. After the L1 is online, please give it time to recreate the database (LED blinking).

10. Lumin app -> Settings -> Options under L1 -> Reload Music Library (If you have previously renamed the L1, the name is now reset to default)

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

George, if you purchased an D1, how do you plan on getting the files to it? NAS or a hard drive direct to it? Also please remember the Lumin is not wireless like the Aries is so you need a wired connection. If it is a NAS, Lumin does recommend MiniMserver to be run on the nas or the computer holding the files. I am not a Lumin rep or anything like that. Im just giving you what I went through when I bought it.

I tried using my western digital without MiniMserver and the Lumin could read the files however, the order was way off and it could not read the full file name without MiniMserver running. For right now I am running MiniMserver on my laptop pointing to the NAS until I can change my NAS to a qnap.

I have heard the Aries on a w4s dac and LH labs Vi dac. It is a good sounding unit. The Lumin in my opinion is quite a bit warmer / smoother in sound but still very detailed especially when the power supply is upgraded. It also depends on your taste in sound.

Whenever you unplug the L1 USB from the computer, please make sure Empty Trash is performed, and Safely Remove it from the computer.

PROCEDURE TO RESET LUMIN L1

=====================

The following procedure tells the L1 to recreate its database from existing music in its HDD. Although this is not a format procedure and is not expected to cause data loss, having backup of your music is preferred.

1. Firstly, please connect the L1 to the computer via USB, and make sure the Trash is empty. Then safely remove the L1, then disconnect the USB.

2. Make sure USB is disconnected, and standby the L1

3. Unplug the power from L1

4. Press and hold the L1 power button

5. While still holding the L1 power button, plug in the power cord

6. Keep holding the L1 power button for about 30-40 seconds - during which observe the various LEDs blink. Keeping holding it until L1 finally stops blinking, or goes into Standby mode with red LED on.

7. Connect the L1 network cable (if it is not already connected)

8. If the red LED is on, press the L1 power button once to bring it online

9. After the L1 is online, please give it time to recreate the database (LED blinking).

10. Lumin app -> Settings -> Options under L1 -> Reload Music Library (If you have previously renamed the L1, the name is now reset to default)

I did the reset, the drive is visible. I have 1,81TB of free space and 0 directory with music :-( What further steps to recover?

Wysłane z mojego HTC One M9 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I did the reset, the drive is visible. I have 1,81TB of free space and 0 directory with music :-( What further steps to recover?

When the L1 is plugged into the computer via the USB port, do you see your music files and directories there?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

George, if you purchased an D1, how do you plan on getting the files to it? NAS or a hard drive direct to it? Also please remember the Lumin is not wireless like the Aries is so you need a wired connection. If it is a NAS, Lumin does recommend MiniMserver to be run on the nas or the computer holding the files. I am not a Lumin rep or anything like that. Im just giving you what I went through when I bought it.

I tried using my western digital without MiniMserver and the Lumin could read the files however, the order was way off and it could not read the full file name without MiniMserver running. For right now I am running MiniMserver on my laptop pointing to the NAS until I can change my NAS to a qnap.

I have heard the Aries on a w4s dac and LH labs Vi dac. It is a good sounding unit. The Lumin in my opinion is quite a bit warmer / smoother in sound but still very detailed especially when the power supply is upgraded. It also depends on your taste in sound.

Hello and thanks for the response - appreciated.

So I have a Synology DS212J containing ripped CDs in .wav format. I have just installed Java and MinimServer on it. However, mostly I will stream Tidal HIFI because sexeh :)

My listening room is on the 1st floor of my home, so will connect the D1 to my router via powerline adapters.

I have bought the D1 BTW - ordered it today for delivery tomorrow. If it can't better my Metrum Musette & Auralic Aries then it can go back. I have a 12V LPSU for it, so will do some comparisons.

I have bought the D1 BTW - ordered it today for delivery tomorrow. If it can't better my Metrum Musette & Auralic Aries then it can go back. I have a 12V LPSU for it, so will do some comparisons.

Since there are two less sources of leakage current of the power supplies of the Musette and Aries, based on that alone your SQ will improve markedly with the D1 alone.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

When you get the D1, you can burn it in by adding music of different sampling rates to the Lumin playlist, turn on repeat mode, and play it 7x24 together with the LPS you plan to use. Preamp on and poweramp off. XLR balanced cable is recommended because Lumin uses a true balanced design.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Only free space... i checked just a program for recovery and shows that these direction are there... why lumin L1 such a thing did? How to restore disk?

When L1 is operating as a NAS music library, the music partition is only read but not written to, so any unsafe power cut should not affect the integrity of the music data. The L1 database, even if corrupted by power loss, can be recreated using the reset procedure above.

Other than a failed HDD, the only thing that I can think of that causes the music partition to lose data is an unsafe unplug of the L1 USB from a computer.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

When L1 is operating as a NAS music library, the music partition is only read but not written to, so any unsafe power cut should not affect the integrity of the music data. The L1 database, even if corrupted by power loss, can be recreated using the reset procedure above.

Other than a failed HDD, the only thing that I can think of that causes the music partition to lose data is an unsafe unplug of the L1 USB from a computer.

Thanks for the information. I finish my recover data. How best to format the drive FAT32 or NTFS?

Wysłane z mojego HTC One M9 przy użyciu Tapatalka

How best to format the drive FAT32 or NTFS?

If you use Windows and don't use Mac, NTFS. Otherwise FAT32. If you format it please only format the second (large) partition - please do not delete or format the first (small) partition.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello and thanks for the response - appreciated.

So I have a Synology DS212J containing ripped CDs in .wav format. I have just installed Java and MinimServer on it. However, mostly I will stream Tidal HIFI because sexeh :)

My listening room is on the 1st floor of my home, so will connect the D1 to my router via powerline adapters.

Congrats! On mine, I think after 7 days it just started to open up but when I hit that 2 week mark is when I think it completely opened up. I am using a wireworld eclipse silver IC on it. I tried the regular eclipse and a acoustic zen matrix II but, it seemed to like the WW silver 7 better.

I ran into issue with Lumin app with Mininmserver and my A1. I am using Minimstreamer to transcode files that Lumin A1 cannot read natively (DSD128). I am ripping my vinyl at DSD128 using Korg DS-DAC-10R and transcoding to 24/384. Up until now Minimstreamer forced me to transcode all DSF files (DSD64 and DSD128) to wav 24/384.

There is a new filter option in Minimstreamer that allows for selecting specific sample rates, bit depths or bit rates for transcoding. In my case I just to transcode the DSD128 since the A1 cannot decode and NOT transcode DSD which are primarily downloads or SACD rips. Details on new function here: User guide

This is NOT working in the Lumin App. I validated with Simon at Minimserver that I am using the correct syntax. I tried it using the Kinsky control point and it appears to work correctly. On the Lumin app all my DSF files (64 and 128) are transcoded to 24/384. This might not be such a bid deal other than I am also providing a +6db level increase on the transcode since all the ripped vinyl seems to need it and downloaded DSD64 files or rippped SACD files do not. So I am guessing the issue is in the Lumin app. Does anyone have this working successfully with the Lumin app? Thanks

Well, that's interesting.So I have just had an hour or so of listening to a variety of streamed and ripped tracks and make the following initial observation acknowledging the fact that the Aries has an Auralic LPSU and the Lumin only a supplied wallwart (I had hoped to use my MCRU/Longdog LPSU but the barrel is too big).The Lumin gives a slightly bright presentation compared to the Auralic & Metrum combination. My wife described it as 'tinny'; while that choice of word isn't right I know what she means - it's the difference between the NOS Transient modules in the Metrum and the dual Wolfson WM8741 DACs in dual differential mode. She also felt it lacked depth compared to the Auralic/Metrum. While I acknowledge that a LPSU will add the depth and elevate space and separation to the D1, the brightness is an issue for me.

Not sure what to do at this point. I can buy an LPSU for it, but I doubt that will change the brightness. Disappointed - had high hopes for the D1.