IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I just logged into the Lumin app and there was an update for the S1.  I downloaded and installed the update only to find that the update was for version 8.04 dated 2017/6/9.  I am surprised that I "upgraded" to an old firmware release because I was at 8.04 for quite a while.

What gives?  Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

53 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I just logged into the Lumin app and there was an update for the S1.  I downloaded and installed the update only to find that the update was for version 8.04 dated 2017/6/9.  I am surprised that I "upgraded" to an old firmware release because I was at 8.04 for quite a while.

What gives?  Any ideas would be most appreciated.

I just checked, the latest Lumin app is 6.0.9  dated 06-12-17  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lumin/id524332800

Interesting

The Truth Is Out There

8 hours ago, mav52 said:

I just checked, the latest Lumin app is 6.0.9  dated 06-12-17  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lumin/id524332800

Interesting

I was talking about the firmware residing on the S1 and not the Lumin app itself.  I wonder if the Lumin devices keep a log of the various firmware updates and when they were applied.  I suppose it's conceivable I missed the update for an entire month but I don't think so because I update firmware as soon as the app says one is available.

I checked the Lumin app on my Apple device and, as you said, it is v6.0.9 dated 2017-06-10.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

2 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

I was talking about the firmware residing on the S1 and not the Lumin app itself.  I wonder if the Lumin devices keep a log of the various firmware updates and when they were applied.  I suppose it's conceivable I missed the update for an entire month but I don't think so because I update firmware as soon as the app says one is available.

I checked the Lumin app on my Apple device and, as you said, it is v6.0.9 dated 2017-06-10.

Sorry about that I saw the Lumin app and assumed it was a app not the firmware.   That's a good question for Peter of Lumin.  . If the Lumin maintains a log of firmware updates within. I just wondering if they have a separate firmware level for each unit they manufacture.

The Truth Is Out There

No worries.  I appreciate the time you took to respond!

16 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

Unless the firmware has been changed to another version (accidentally due to the presence of a Lumin upgrade file on a USB flash drive), there is no way to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.04.  The upgrade notification will not show up if the firmware version and date are the same.  Even if this is somehow bypassed due to timing issues or UI bug, the upgrade mechanism will also prevent it so this will not take place.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

1 hour ago, wklie said:

Unless the firmware has been changed to another version (accidentally due to the presence of a Lumin upgrade file on a USB flash drive), there is no way to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.04.  The upgrade notification will not show up if the firmware version and date are the same.  Even if this is somehow bypassed due to timing issues or UI bug, the upgrade mechanism will also prevent it so this will not take place.

Thanks for the clarification.  I must have lost a month since I listened to the Lumin.  I have been spending too much time recently with a newly acquired Studer A80 analog machine...

On 7/15/2017 at 11:16 AM, kelly200269 said:

I think improve on the D1 on its own, although it may be more down to a different ' presentation', rather than a simple boost in performance. The 'jury's still out' with this, as the Chord has a very explicit, dense presentation, and I think the more 'laid back' presentation of the D1 appeals for some listening.

If it's just a change in presentation, I'm not sure it would be a worthwhile upgrade for me.

I'm running a Bakoon DAC-21 with the D1, and it's just on an entirely different stratosphere.

I agree though I would rather save the money and go without the nice case, if the sound is on the same level.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

i'm happy owner of a T1 now i used it as renderer with a Denafrips Pontus DAC, i would like to know what is the PIN OUT of HDMI interface on the T1.

Thank you.

Ciao Stefano.

[br]Lumin T1 - Transrotor Darkstar - McIntosh MA7000 - Synology NAS - Magnepan 1.7 - PS Audio P10 Power Plant.

2 minutes ago, smolteni said:

i'm happy owner of a T1 now i used it as renderer with a Denafrips Pontus DAC, i would like to know what is the PIN OUT of HDMI interface on the T1.

Thank you.

I could be wrong, but isn't the HDMI interface a configuration-controlled item?  Depending on the HDMI standard that the T1 was built to, it should meet that standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Can Lumin software (using MinimServer) display two or more libraries (from different folders or hard drives) separately?

I mean instead of a single library with all the contents mixed, is it possible to have for example Library 1, 2, 3, etc?

TIA 

JoseL

4 hours ago, JoseL said:

Hi,

Can Lumin software (using MinimServer) display two or more libraries (from different folders or hard drives) separately?

I mean instead of a single library with all the contents mixed, is it possible to have for example Library 1, 2, 3, etc?

TIA 

You can do it with Minimerver running on different machines (I have a NAS and Windows both running different libraries).
You can also do it on Windows (according to this thread) but I haven't tried it.
I don't think it's possible on other devices.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

(LUMIN M1 is an integrated network player with digital amplifier for speaker output: 100W @ 4 ohm, 60W @ 8 ohm)

From LUMIN Facebook:

LUMIN M1
NEW Analogue input

LUMIN M1 now includes an adapter to add RCA or mini-jack audio input via USB.

You can now add another source to an M1 system such as a CD player.

Function:
LUMIN M1 will automatically switch to new analogue input when the adapter is connected, or when LUMIN M1 is woken up with the adapter already connected.

To switch to normal LUMIN Playback, simply play any music using Lumin app, AirPlay, Roon or any OpenHome app.

All new M1 sales will include the new adapter.

Existing M1 owners can purchase the new adapter directly from us or via your dealer. Please contact [email protected] for details.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Lumin released Firmware 9.01 to Fully Decode MQA.  Lumin offers the most flexible MQA settings in the market.  This post explains the Lumin MQA Settings.  Currently this post applies to Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1.

To understand MQA terminology, please read this first:

MQA Analog Output Mode:
- This is case D in the article
- This is the default mode suitable for most users who use the Lumin analog outputs
- Lumin offers Hardware Full Decoding to analog outputs
- Digital output is disabled
- Lumin upsampling is disabled
- This mode will not be available for Lumin U1 because U1 does not have analog outputs

MQA Digital Output Mode:
- This is (usually) case B in the article
- If you use Lumin digital output to connect to an external DAC, this is the mode to be used
- Lumin does MQA Core decoding and outputs 24/96 or 24/88.2 to external DAC in this mode
- If used with an external DAC that is a MQA Renderer such as Berekeley Alpha Reference 2 with (announced) MQA upgrade, this becomes case C - please keep Lumin volume at 100, otherwise MQA Rendering will fail
- Note that in MQA Digital Output mode, the front panel and the app sample rate display refers to the MQA sample rate of the MQA music, not the actual sample rate of the digital output (either 96kHz or 88.2kHz)
- Analog outputs are disabled
- Lumin upsampling is disabled

MQA Passthrough Mode:
- This is case A (for Lumin) in the article.
- If you use Lumin digital output to an external DAC that is a MQA Full Decoder (case D), e.g. Mytek Brooklyn, this MQA Passthrough Mode allows Lumin to send raw MQA data to the external DAC to be fully MQA decoded.
- Note that in MQA Passthrough mode, the front panel and the app sample rate display refers to the MQA sample rate of the MQA music, not the actual sample rate of the digital output (either 48kHz or 44.1kHz).
- Analog outputs are disabled
- Lumin upsampling is disabled (otherwise subsequent MQA decoding will fail)
- Lumin digital volume is disabled (otherwise subsequent MQA decoding will fail)

Off Mode:
- This is case A in the article.
- Starting from Firmware 9.01, if MQA is set to Off, Lumin retrieves the 16/44.1kHz version of Tidal master instead of the 24-bit version for any MQA decoding.
- Lumin upsampling can be used. This is the mode to be used if users do not care about MQA decoding and would rather upsample Tidal Masters to DSD, or to lower the download bandwidth required

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

2 hours ago, wklie said:

Lumin released Firmware 9.01 to Fully Decode MQA.

Downloading as we speak!