IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 23/3/2017 at 1:55 PM, fabiodeluca said:

Now that Lumin demonstrated that it is feasible putting a sticker on an album cover to identify the sampling/bit features, that should be also feasible for all the other tracks and albums stored in NAS, etc...which I am requiring to Peter/Lumin since many many time...;-)

Unfortunately that is different.  Tidal has special metadata to identify its album as Hi Res.  The Tidal-API communication with Tidal and the UPnP communication with NAS are completely different.

If you need album sample rate display before it is played, try Roon.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

7 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

I noticed that the Lumin website now has a statement of intent to support MQA and Spotify under the "Streaming" section

Yes Lumin is working on adding MQA Full Decoding to Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5 hours ago, wklie said:

Sorry about the bug with app 6.0.7.  We have submitted app 6.0.8 to App Store for approval on March 25.

Meanwhile, please use Esoteric Sound Stream app (which is almost the same thing) if you need volume control, before the Lumin app update becomes available.

Thank you very much for the fast answer and support!

Than I'm waiting for the update. 

6.08 works fine! Thanks!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 3/27/2017 at 1:55 AM, Audio said:

Thanking you in advance...it's time to put the S1 onto the rack again....

(Audio) 

I'm looking forward to it too.  Question though, why was the S1 out of the rack?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

14 hours ago, wklie said:

I think so.  On Android you may also also use other apps such as Linn Kazoo and Bubble DS Next.

Meanwhile, check out the US$329 new iPad.

thanks for the reply.  i asked because your app is quite good -- better than the others except for not being able to get to tidal.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
3 hours ago, Distinctive said:

I would really like to see a confirmation from psme that a third unfold (profiling) will be done inside the Streamer/DAC.

A second unfold 96/24 is not full decoding.

Although I'm not psme, I'll answer this.  Lumin has sent devices to MQA Ltd. for profiling, and will do Full Decoding including the final rendering.

It is incorrect to refer MQA Core as the second unfold.  To minimize confusion, and for standard MQA terminology, please read:

Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 will be case D in this article.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 3/29/2017 at 9:21 PM, wklie said:

Although I'm not psme, I'll answer this.  Lumin has sent devices to MQA Ltd. for profiling, and will do Full Decoding including the final rendering.

It is incorrect to refer MQA Core as the second unfold.  To minimize confusion, and for standard MQA terminology, please read:

Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 will be case D in this article.

That makes me smile!

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:03 AM, wklie said:

New Qobuz Sublime+ allows streaming of 24-bit Hi-Res (without requiring prior purchase of the hi-res albums, unlike Sublime):

http://blogsv2.qobuz.com/qobuz-blog-en/2017/04/03/march-29-2017-our-new-announcements-qobuzisback/

REALLY excited about this. It will fit perfectly with my D1, and I'll have access to a load more high-res music, without purchasing first.

Qobuz say Sublime+ will be around the 350 Euro mark. Considering what I spent on purchasing high-res music from Qobuz over the last couple of years, that it is a relative bargain! Can't wait! :-)

We released Firmware 8.03 for Lumin U1 that does Native DSD and DSD256 (for DSD256 music file only, not upsampling from PCM yet).  [This is for U1 only, other current Lumin models will not gain DSD256 support.]

This is primarily intended for those USB DAC that are supported by Linux in Native DSD256 mode (different from DSD-over-PCM DoP). If the USB DAC supports DoP256, it may also work in case the Native DSD256 data transfer cannot be established. However, DoP256 is rarely supported by USB DAC.

When using Lumin U1 with LampizatOr USB DAC that uses Amanero USB module, it works up to DSD DoP128 only, and Native DSD256 does not work. This is because Amanero support for Linux Native DSD is a work-in-progress, to my knowledge.

It seems that T+A also uses Amanero in some products, so I guess the same limitation is also applicable.

Free DSD256 music download:
http://www.2l.no/hires/
http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/quad-speed-dsd256-works-by-ve-kuseru-dorm-nantes-of-japan/

https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation
https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/mendelssohn-session
http://bluecoastmusic.com/free-downloads
http://www.wechdomi.org/english/index.html

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 1 month later...
On February 18, 2017 at 7:07 AM, kelly200269 said:

I use my D1 with a LDA/MCRU LPS, and IMO the results are literally breathtaking. The D1 is simply the most 'musical' digital source I have ever heard. It obliterates my Denon DCD-A100, something I was confident would never happen, and the D1 possesses a musicality and fluidity exceptionally rare in a source

I use my D1 with a Plixir LPS and I agree with you. It does possess a musicality and fluidity that is rare.

I actually like it better than the S1 I owned. 

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

• 4 weeks later...

I tried it and using a Cullen cable. Good quality and doesn't break the bank

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

4 hours ago, skyline said:

Anyone using the digital out on the D1?

I'm looking for a high quality BNC to RCA adapter.

Getting an appropriate adapter is complicated by the fact that for digital audio signals the BNC should be a true 75 ohm impedance, and unfortunately the 50 ohm variety BNC is much more common. Having the proper 75 ohm impedance is important to minimize jitter in the digital signal.

It turns out the DAC I'm using has a BNC input.

But there are cable companies who make BNC to RCA.

Also interesting is that the D1 is quite a cable streamer when hooked up to a DAC that is better than the one inside the D1.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

There are a number of users using the BNC output of Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 for connection with an external DAC with good results.

If your DAC supports DoP over SPDIF, you need to turn on the DoP option in Lumin settings for DSD playback.  (Note this disables Lumin analog output of DSD.)

If your DAC does not support DoP over SPDIF, you may turn on DSD to PCM conversion.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

For those who are using Roon, please upgrade Roon Core to Build 234, and Lumin to Firmware 8.04. The new Lumin firmware contains optimizations for Roon Build 234, and may possibly improve SQ.

Feedback on SQ for this upgrade is much appreciated. Thanks.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi,

I now use the D1 digital out connected to a Chord 2Qute, which has a BNC input.

I use an Atlas Element BNC-BNC Digital cable, which is a true 75ohm digital cable. They sell for about £50 in U.K., depending on the length. It works perfectly, and I can't see the point in spending more than this on a digital cable, even though you can spend hundreds on this type of cable.

I must say, that however astounding the D1 internal DACs are, using the 2Qute in this way gives a welcome gain in performance. I do think that you have to go a long way to beat the D1 on it's own though. I just think the Lumin D1 is great bit of kit on its own :-)