IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

Today something odd that happened and I am not sure if it's an NAA or hardware issue. All of a sudden I noticed I lost my right channel. I could only hear the vocals from my left speaker and a much lower level of music from the right speaker with a lot of echo. When I reversed the inputs to my amp, the sound also reversed so that let me know my amp is fine and for whatever reason I was not getting music from right channel from the source. Long story short, restarting my NAA fixed the issue.

So my question is if this could have been caused by the NAA application or was it some hardware issue perhaps with the USB port of the PC?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

So my question is if this could have been caused by the NAA application or was it some hardware issue perhaps with the USB port of the PC?

I would guess hardware issue either in the DAC, naa pc or preamp or it could be with a loose cable. If I understand NAA correctly all it does is take the stream and leverages alsa to stream that out. It does not have any logic to manipulate the stream.

I would guess hardware issue either in the DAC, naa pc or preamp or it could be with a loose cable. If I understand NAA correctly all it does is take the stream and leverages alsa to stream that out. It does not have any logic to manipulate the stream.

tboooe, when such a thing happens to me I know it is my analog RCA cable. :)

I would check electrical contacts on signal cables. Not USB, there is no no left/right.

Thanks guys. I figure it wasn't the NAA application. What's strange is that I did check all cables, unplugging then replugging but that didn't fix the problem. Only restarting my NAA pc solved it. This is the first time I've experienced this so hopefully it's just a fluke occurrence.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just created a UbuntuStudio 16.10 usb stick to test out on my mac mini that I use for a NAA. I downloaded the Networkaudiod deb pkg and now I am stuck. when I click on the NAA download I just get a spinning wheel. not sure where to go from here. did a search but I get pointed to specific pages of threads on CA but what i am looking for is not there?

Can some one give some assistance or point me to some other resource - been a long time since i messed around with linux.

Thanks, chuck

Just created a UbuntuStudio 16.10 usb stick to test out on my mac mini that I use for a NAA. I downloaded the Networkaudiod deb pkg and now I am stuck. when I click on the NAA download I just get a spinning wheel. not sure where to go from here. did a search but I get pointed to specific pages of threads on CA but what i am looking for is not there?

Can some one give some assistance or point me to some other resource - been a long time since i messed around with linux.

Thanks, chuck

after some research this morning was able to get the networkaudiod pkg installed and launched the service and it is now running and I am able to attach and play music. The NAA is running on Mac Mini (Mid 2010).

Hi Miska,

I just updated 64-bit networkaudiod from 3.4.0 to 3.4.2 on my NUC5PPYH NAA (running Windows Server 2012 R2 diskless & headless) and now every time I start a track on the HQPlayer PC, networkaudiod on the NAA crashes. The issue is 100% repeatable. I took networkaudiod back to 3.4.0 and everything works again. I'm using networkaudiod in conjunction with ASIO4All 2.13 as there is no ASIO driver for my KEF X300A speakers (USB input).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi Miska,

Not sure if you saw my post from last month, but I found an issue between networkaudiod 3.4.2 and ASIO4All 2.13.

Summary of updated testing:

* networkaudiod 3.4.0 + Auralic Vega ASIO driver 3.40.0 = works

* networkaudiod 3.4.0 + ASIO4All 2.13 = works

* networkaudiod 3.4.2 + Auralic Vega ASIO driver 3.40.0 = works

* networkaudiod 3.4.2 + ASIO4All 2.13 = app crash + HQPlayer lockup

The networkaudiod 3.4.2 crash was reproduced with two DACs: Auralic Vega & KEF X300A USB speakers, and with two different PCs running Windows 10.

Thanks.

* networkaudiod 3.4.2 + Auralic Vega ASIO driver 3.40.0 = works

* networkaudiod 3.4.2 + ASIO4All 2.13 = app crash + HQPlayer lockup

The networkaudiod 3.4.2 crash was reproduced with two DACs: Auralic Vega & KEF X300A USB speakers, and with two different PCs running Windows 10.

In the bulletpoint you say it works with Auralic Vega and then you say it doesn't?

I haven't seen crash with the the ASIO drivers I've used. You could talk with developer of ASIO4ALL?

Auralic Vega would probably be better with Linux-based NAA anyway. Generally, always use a Linux based NAA if at all possible and forget Windows or macOS.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

In the bulletpoint you say it works with Auralic Vega and then you say it doesn't?

I haven't seen crash with the the ASIO drivers I've used. You could talk with developer of ASIO4ALL?

Auralic Vega would probably be better with Linux-based NAA anyway. Generally, always use a Linux based NAA if at all possible and forget Windows or macOS.

Sorry for any confusion. I had both ASIO4All and Auralic ASIO drivers installed in the same PC. The crash with networkaudiod 3.4.2 occurs only in conjunction with ASIO4All. No issue when using Auralic ASIO driver for Vega. The older networkaudiod 3.4.0 works perfectly with ASIO4All for my X300A speakers and Auralic ASIO driver for Vega. So networkaudiod 3.4.2 and ASIO4All don't play nice.

I am too lazy to be honest to search and my question can be dumb, but may I ask if there is a way to run NAA under Daphile?

Just spent few minutes to find it out and did not find any simple way yet.

Daphile is running on an Xtreamer Winbox micro PC, sounds nice with an RME ADI 2 Pro USB A/D, D/A interface, wondering if I can use NAA with Daphile?

Thx for any help.

I am too lazy to be honest to search and my question can be dumb, but may I ask if there is a way to run NAA under Daphile?

Daphile is running on an Xtreamer Winbox micro PC, sounds nice with an RME ADI 2 Pro USB A/D, D/A interface, wondering if I can use NAA with Daphile?

Thx for any help.

Do you have HQPlayer running on Daphile or do you want your Daphile computer to be an NAA?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Do you have HQPlayer running on Daphile or do you want your Daphile computer to be an NAA?

My Daphile computer to become NAA. I used the Xtreamer Winbox as NAA with its originial Win 10 Home for quite a while, it was very good, hope to try it out with Linux as well. Daphile works and sounds really nice so the next step would be using this Linux as NAA.

HQPlayer is running on my macBook Pro.

Thx for your help.

Thx for any help.

I believe Daphile is based on Gentoo, which uses different package management option. If you can install NAA package under Daphile and it has all the dependencies I do not see why you should not be able to do that. The one issue that I see is how are you going to stop all the Daphile processes that control audio devices, so NAA software can get exclusive access to audio devices.

Edit: Read your second message. Are you saying that you plan to install Debian/Ubuntu on the Xtreamer Winbox in place of Daphile? If yes, you should not have any issues with it.

I believe Daphile is based on Gentoo, which uses different package management option. If you can install NAA package under Daphile and it has all the dependencies I do not see why you should not be able to do that. The one issue that I see is how are you going to stop all the Daphile processes that control audio devices, so NAA software can get exclusive access to audio devices.

Edit: Read your second message. Are you saying that you plan to install Debian/Ubuntu on the Xtreamer Winbox in place of Daphile? If yes, you should not have any issues with it.

No.

I try to avoid to install other linux versions.

As I mentioned I am lazy today and trying to find the easiest way to run NAA and Linux on this micro PC.

But if the easiest way to install other Linux I will do that. Just searching for others experience.

I would say keep your Daphile, buy a CuBox for $100 or less and install Miska's NAA image on it.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Are the cubox specific NAA images still available? Ordered an i4Pro a few days ago and would be grateful for a link. The old links I followed in some writeups don't seem to be active.

Otherwise I'll do a minimal install of Debian Stretch, which is what I've been using on an old laptop to test this type of setup. Sounds great so far.

Are the cubox specific NAA images still available? Ordered an i4Pro a few days ago and would be grateful for a link. The old links I followed in some writeups don't seem to be active.

Otherwise I'll do a minimal install of Debian Stretch, which is what I've been using on an old laptop to test this type of setup. Sounds great so far.

The Cubox-i image is located from the Signalyst website at:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/

Sorry for any confusion. I had both ASIO4All and Auralic ASIO drivers installed in the same PC. The crash with networkaudiod 3.4.2 occurs only in conjunction with ASIO4All. No issue when using Auralic ASIO driver for Vega. The older networkaudiod 3.4.0 works perfectly with ASIO4All for my X300A speakers and Auralic ASIO driver for Vega. So networkaudiod 3.4.2 and ASIO4All don't play nice.
@Miska, thanks for recommending NAA to be Linux-based. I decided to try switching my NUC5PPYH fanless PC from Windows-based NAA to Linux-based NAA. This box now runs Snakeoil OS and networkaudiod 3.4.0 (amd64, Trusty). I can now dual-boot between Snakeoil & Win10 to do a SQ comparison.

I did have to upgrade the Linux kernel to x64-ipv6 for Snakeoil before HQPlayer can see my KEF X300A USB endpoint connected to this NAA.

A thank-you to a.dent & Agent Kith for blazing the NAA trail on the Snakeoil forum.

You can find the images following the download link from bottom of HQPlayer web page.

From time to time I move things around on web servers and to different web servers, that's why I usually don't post direct links, but prefer referring to the web site instead. This way the links don't go broken after a while...

I would say keep your Daphile, buy a CuBox for $100 or less and install Miska's NAA image on it.

Actually I did this and now NAA runs on Cubox. It sounds nice, really engaging. However, I can use it only with the native files, without any processing. When I try to do an upconversion I hear a strange whistling in every 15-20 sec for about 2-3 sec. Higher the upconversion goes more offen and louder the whistling attacks in PCM. It is even worse in DSD.

My Hqplayer runs on a MacBook Pro, the USB DAC is the RME ADI 2 Pro.

Any suggestion?

Actually I did this and now NAA runs on Cubox. It sounds nice, really engaging. However, I can use it only with the native files, without any processing. When I try to do an upconversion I hear a strange whistling in every 15-20 sec for about 2-3 sec. Higher the upconversion goes more offen and louder the whistling attacks in PCM. It is even worse in DSD.

My Hqplayer runs on a MacBook Pro, the USB DAC is the RME ADI 2 Pro.

Any suggestion?

I wish I knew what was going on, but I have never experienced this. :(

I wish I knew what was going on, but I have never experienced this. :(

I cross checked my active speakers, everything in my system, to know where this error is appearing and it seems it is the NAA. I tried both USB slot on the Cubox, but it was the same the whistling did not change. I even connected an iFi USB3 power supply/USB regenerator between Cubox and the RME DAC, but it did not help in this regards, however the sound became a bit more open and fluid. I tried different USB cables, power supplies, etc.

Changed the network connection, changed switch then switched from Ethernet to wifi. Did not help.

I reconnected my other micro PC with Windows at the end but the sound had no whistles. So i am pretty sure it is the Cubox / NAA software combination or its configuration, I have no more idea. I am just listening it without any processing.

I reconnected my other micro PC with Windows at the end but the sound had no whistles. So i am pretty sure it is the Cubox / NAA software combination or its configuration, I have no more idea. I am just listening it without any processing.

Since I have the RME converter and CuBox-i, I'll check this out tomorrow or so...