IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

Hello Miska,

If in the "Device" drop down i can't see my NAA, can i add the ip address manually?

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

If in the "Device" drop down i can't see my NAA, can i add the ip address manually?

No, the protocol relies on similar multicast-based auto-discovery as UPnP and various Apple protocols (Bonjour) like the printer discovery. Typically NAA devices are intended to be plug-and-play black boxes using DHCP, that is why.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Understand, can you tell us which rules in firewall must be enable before HQPlayer able to see naa so I can double check on my end.

Thx

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

No, the protocol relies on similar multicast-based auto-discovery as UPnP and various Apple protocols (Bonjour) like the printer discovery. Typically NAA devices are intended to be plug-and-play black boxes using DHCP, that is why.

Miska,

Related to this. In my case there is no problem except that I can't rename the NAA in HQPlayer. It calls it 'default' and when I try to change the name it just reverts to 'default'. Is this something to do with a setting on the NAA? (Windows 10 Pro for both main PC and NAA).

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Related to this. In my case there is no problem except that I can't rename the NAA in HQPlayer. It calls it 'default' and when I try to change the name it just reverts to 'default'. Is this something to do with a setting on the NAA? (Windows 10 Pro for both main PC and NAA).

Renaming is only supported on Linux. On windows there's the included networkaudiod_name.bat that is intended for starting up the daemon. Just edit the .bat file to change the name...

Note! Anybody who has more than one NAA it is critical to name NAA's properly, two NAA's with same name will be confused to each other and cause all kinds of weird problems that happen nondeterministically.

Understand, can you tell us which rules in firewall must be enable before HQPlayer able to see naa so I can double check on my end.

All traffic must be allowed for both HQPlayer and networkaudiod processes. There are no fixed ports in use, but instead the ports are dynamically allocated (more or less random ones given by the OS). In addition networkaudiod is listening for multicasts.

All traffic must be allowed for both HQPlayer and networkaudiod processes. There are no fixed ports in use, but instead the ports are dynamically allocated (more or less random ones given by the OS). In addition networkaudiod is listening for multicasts.

I see HQplayer listed active on firewall. However, i don't see networkaudiod being listed on firewall.

How can i enable it or activate it again.

I see HQplayer listed active on firewall. However, i don't see networkaudiod being listed on firewall.

How can i enable it or activate it again.

I don't know what OS or firewall you are using and cannot provide support on configuring any certain type of firewall. So I can only provide overall generic guidance.

Sorry, I'm on window10 pro

Renaming is only supported on Linux. On windows there's the included networkaudiod_name.bat that is intended for starting up the daemon. Just edit the .bat file to change the name...

Note! Anybody who has more than one NAA it is critical to name NAA's properly, two NAA's with same name will be confused to each other and cause all kinds of weird problems that happen nondeterministically.

Where do I find the networkaudiod_name.bat file?

Thanks. But what do I do with it when I've edited the name?

You use this script to assign name to your NAA and to start NAA (networkaudiod.exe in the last line of the script). So you have to stop your running networkaudiod and start this one instead.

In HQPlayer you will see that NAA name in the list of available NAA devices with their DACs.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Hi,

Sorry, i'm a newbie. I would like to setup NAA endpoint to feed a T+A DAC8 DSD from ROON / HQPlayer (DSD 512 if possible).

• What NAA endpoint HW / SW to choose to get easiest installation, reliable operation and good support from HQP community and @Miska ?

• Any commonly used setup ?

I would prefer some LINUX SBC (but i know there is some limitations with USB drivers regarding T+A DAC)

Thank you.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

Hi,

Sorry, i'm a newbie. I would like to setup NAA endpoint to feed a T+A DAC8 DSD from ROON / HQPlayer (DSD 512 if possible).

• What NAA endpoint HW / SW to choose to get easiest installation, reliable operation and good support from HQP community and @Miska ?

• Any commonly used setup ?

I would prefer some LINUX SBC (but i know there is some limitations with USB drivers regarding T+A DAC)

With the DAC8 DSD for anything above DSD128, at the moment you are limited to Windows-based NAA due to driver availability limitation.

This is what I personally use for the purpose, with standard out-of-box Win10 Pro:

https://www.logicsupply.com/eu-en/products/industrial-computers/cl100-series/

Without any wireless options, on purpose. But I replaced the PSU because the offered wall-wart is not so great (there are way too many PSUs that make annoying acoustic whining noise).

.... With the DAC8 DSD for anything above DSD128, at the moment you are limited to Windows-based NAA due to driver availability limitation ...

Thank you @Miska.

Any chance in the near future for Linux driver availability ?

Who is in charge for this availability: T+A ? Amanero ? Others ?

Do you personally like using T+A DAC8 DSD in this setup ? Good DAC ?

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

Thank you @bogi

i like the xtreamer winbox metal case but, unfortunately, seems currently out of stock.

@Miska's recommended CL100 is more expensive but seems serious european brand (NL).

I will investigate and hope for a LINUX solution (like RPI, Cubox ...) if and when the USB driver availability issue with T+A DAC solved.

Setup details

Here are some test results with the BBB. I switched power supply to an HP E3631A DC power supply set to 5.00V. The Vega DAC I'm using does not need power over USB. It is the only DAC I have that can work with USB +5V VBUS power disconnected by an SBooster VBus2 isolator.

With playback at 44.1K, the failure symptoms pretty much don't repro. I can stop playback and select another track without issue. I then tried upsampling to 352.8K. This is when the failures repro quite easily. Playback continues indefinitely as long as I don't click stop, but when I do, the next track selected will fail to play, and HQPlayer locks up and has to be manually terminated. Upon relaunching HQPlayer it no longer sees the NAA. The BBB is still responsive to network pings though.

Since I'm quite Linux illiterate I'm not sure I can install Debian & networkaudiod quickly.

Since the Raspberry Pi 3 as NAA seems to work well with my X300A, I'll just stick to this combo for now, and use the Cubox with my Vega or other DACs.

Hi Miska, I finally got my Cubox-i 4x4 NAA running properly with my KEF X300A speakers. I inserted a Unitek USB 3.0 4-port hub (bus powered, used as USB 2.0 hub) between the Cubox and the X300A USB port, and now the setup works like a charm!

As to why a direct USB connection between Cubox and X300A can't work properly is beyond me.

The same Unitek hub does not help the BBB NAA though. Same issue where playback won't resume after stopping a track.

Any chance in the near future for Linux driver availability ?

Who is in charge for this availability: T+A ? Amanero ? Others ?

I cannot really speak for T+A, but I assume it mostly depends on Amanero getting out new firmware version that works reliably up to DSD512. And then next question would be how easy it is to upgrade the firmware in T+A DAC...

Do you personally like using T+A DAC8 DSD in this setup ? Good DAC ?

Yes, the DAC is very good. I would otherwise use it with plain direct connection, but I like to be able to access it from HQPlayer computers located in a different room.

Hi Miska, I finally got my Cubox-i 4x4 NAA running properly with my KEF X300A speakers. I inserted a Unitek USB 3.0 4-port hub (bus powered, used as USB 2.0 hub) between the Cubox and the X300A USB port, and now the setup works like a charm!

As to why a direct USB connection between Cubox and X300A can't work properly is beyond me.

The same Unitek hub does not help the BBB NAA though. Same issue where playback won't resume after stopping a track.

Inserting an UpTone REGEN or W4S Recovery between the Cubox NAA and the X300A speakers also works.

...Yes, the DAC is very good. I would otherwise use it with plain direct connection, but I like to be able to access it from HQPlayer computers located in a different room.

Thank you,

Why would you prefer to use it with plain direct connection vs with NAA ?

Do you use "filters" like Regen, Intona (or others) to optimize USB connection ?

Setup details

Why would you prefer to use it with plain direct connection vs with NAA ?

Mostly due to the drivers, so I cannot use the NAA hardware I would like to. IOW, those small Linux-based devices with ARM CPU. And because the computer I have nearby has a special DAC USB port:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard, Graphics Card, Notebook, Slate, Mini PC, Server, PC Peripherals and more /

In addition the USB implementation in DAC8 DSD is pretty good, so it is not sensitive to noise or other problems.

Do you use "filters" like Regen, Intona (or others) to optimize USB connection ?

No, I only have iFi iUSB. I have not tried those others. But for the iFi I've found it making difference mostly for USB-powered devices.

Hi,

I would like to setup audio dedicated SBC NAA (and RoonBridge) endpoint to feed a USB DAC (up to DSD512 if and when supported from DAC USB driver). After some readings here and on several threads some questions to the expert(s) :

HW

- Any advantage to use Odroid C2 or Cubox vs RPI 2 or 3 ?

- RPI 2 USB / Ethernet bandwidth and CPU OK to deal with DSD streams ?

SW

- DietPi a good option to get easiest install, setup and support (i'm not at all a LINUX geek) ?

SQ customization advices

- Linear PSU to power SBC (vs a « good » switched PSU like iFi iPower for example) ? - Network and USB isolation devices required or almost useful (Intona, Regen …) ?

- Any comparison (from SQ point of view) vs MicroRendu or SotM-sms 200 turnkey solution ?

Thank you

Setup details