IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

There's also error there.

You seem to have a link local IP meaning that you don't have any network configured at all? At least NAA is missing a proper IP address. In typical setup you would have a DHCP server somewhere in the network assigning proper IP addresses to each device. The "Network is unreachable" error results when there is no route to the destination address (in the OS routing table).

The switch is unmanaged (NETGEAR GS205) and the Macbook is set for Automatic Location with the IPv4 set to DHCP.

Do I need to create a network on the Mac?

At the moment with Desktop 3.13 I can get the files from the NAS and send them to the NAA on the R-Pi.

I was also able to connect the Desktop to the NAA using a direct Ethernet link from Mac to Pi.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The switch is unmanaged (NETGEAR GS205) and the Macbook is set for Automatic Location with the IPv4 set to DHCP.

Typical configuration would be to have everything connected to your regular home network/router that will have DHCP server and give out IP's, DNS server addresses and default route to the gateway.

If you don't have a DHCP server anywhere in the network, DHCP won't get any address and will thus fall back to link-local addressing.

Depending on what kind of image you have running on the RasPi, you could setup your network to use static IP addresses on every device. Alternatively one way or other achieve having DHCP server on the network managing IP address distribution.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Typical configuration would be to have everything connected to your regular home network/router that will have DHCP server and give out IP's, DNS server addresses and default route to the gateway.

If you don't have a DHCP server anywhere in the network, DHCP won't get any address and will thus fall back to link-local addressing.

Depending on what kind of image you have running on the RasPi, you could setup your network to use static IP addresses on every device. Alternatively one way or other achieve having DHCP server on the network managing IP address distribution.

Thanks.

I have very little knowledge in these matters but I'll see if I can find out how to use fixed IP on the R-Pi.

I have a BT router, could try that as well.

I have very little knowledge in these matters but I'll see if I can find out how to use fixed IP on the R-Pi.

You can set IP of each device from the 192.168.1.x network, leave the .1 unused (usually router/gateway), but from .2 onwards, assign each device a different IP address. Netmask is 255.255.255.0. In this case, leave gateway and name server (DNS) addresses out, since you don't have one.

I have a BT router, could try that as well.

You can connect one port of the switch to the router's local side port. That way it is only involved in the configuration stage, but not in any actual audio related traffic (unless you play Tidal from the internet).

You can set IP of each device from the 192.168.1.x network, leave the .1 unused (usually router/gateway), but from .2 onwards, assign each device a different IP address. Netmask is 255.255.255.0. In this case, leave gateway and name server (DNS) addresses out, since you don't have one.

You can connect one port of the switch to the router's local side port. That way it is only involved in the configuration stage, but not in any actual audio related traffic (unless you play Tidal from the internet).

By default BT router has IP address 192.168.1.254

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

By default BT router has IP address 192.168.1.254

That's another common although slightly less typical one, at the other end of the address space. Not likely to be hit too soon when sequentially assigning addresses starting from .2...

But in any case, either use DHCP or static IP's. If both are used, then one needs to pay attention to the address range the DHCP server is configured to distribute and change that if necessary. So that DHCP server doesn't start distributing addresses that are already in use as static IPs because that would result in a conflict which will certainly cause trouble.

That's another common although slightly less typical one, at the other end of the address space. Not likely to be hit too soon when sequentially assigning addresses starting from .2...

But in any case, either use DHCP or static IP's. If both are used, then one needs to pay attention to the address range the DHCP server is configured to distribute and change that if necessary. So that DHCP server doesn't start distributing addresses that are already in use as static IPs because that would result in a conflict which will certainly cause trouble.

So if all goes well then all I have to do is plug a cable to both the switch and the router and 3.14 will work with either Raspbian/NAA or your NAA image?

Yes...

Problem solved.

I have checked the log and there were no '#' or '!'.

I took the switch out of the network, it's now running with 3.14.

Many thanks,

Ricardo

Interesting journey that started with fixing a power cord -- HQPlayer stopped recognizing the DSD capabilities of my iDSD Micro ... installing to NAA 3.4.0 didn't fix ... upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 and then 3.4.2 ... wow! Xenial boots waay faster using iSCSI and all works [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

First time poster here.

My system configuration is as follows:

Computer with HQ player, Windows 10 > switch > modem(AT&T) > TPlink Gigabit SFP Media Converter > Superstream NAA> Lampizator Lite 7 dac.

Everything was working great for the past 6 months. Two days ago, the AT& T modem was having technical problems. It was replaced by a new modem and now HQ player "failed to open audio device". All the cables remained in the same configuration as before. The modem shows that the NAA is in DHCP configuration.

The computer sees the Superstream NAA in its network. I have deleted the current HQ player and downloaded the most current version and switched to another DAC. I have turned on and off the DAC and NAA but HQ player still shows the failed to open audio device message. My next plan is to bypass the switch. I don't know how to open the HQ player logs.

Any suggestions?

Thank you. Your assistance is much appreciated.

I searched for some cheap Win10 capable mini PCs which could be used as Windows NAA. Windows from the reason of better support for ASIO drivers than Linux. But it does not mean one could not use Linux on these mini PCs, for example to run wftplay for DSD (DSF) files without any upsampling.

I would like to know your opinion about suitability of these MiniPCs for NAA role.

What I found:

1) VOYO V2 TV Box Windows 10 4K-81.56 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Windows 10 OS 2GB DDR3 RAM + 32GB eMMC ROM Ultra slim size ( only 13.1 x 8.3 x 1.6cm ) €73.87

20161020173017_85814.jpg

2) Vensmile W10 Mini PC TV Box Intel Atom Quad - core Bay Trail CR Z3735F Windows 10 2GB RAM 64GB ROM 2600mAh for Gaming / Internet Surfing / Conference-130.10 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Win10 2GB 64GB with 2600mAh battery, also ultra slim.

With couponcode GBVS64: $109.89

https://androidtvbox.eu/vensmile-ipc002-w10-mini-pc-with-64gb-or-32gb-and-battery-promo/

20160408102100_70978.jpg

3) Quad-Core Windows 10 OS Smart Mini PC 2GB/32GB HD 1080P HDMI WiFi TV Box | eBay

Win10 2GB 32GB $91.73This seems to be 32GB version of 2)s-l1600.jpg

4) TV BOX Mini PC Intel Atom x5-Z8350 Quad Core Windows10 64bit 2.4G+5.8G Z83II US | eBay

Win10 2GB 32GB $89.09 not so slim, without batterys-l500.jpg

5) Mini Wintel W8 Windows 10 4K HD PC TV Box Z8300 Intel Quad Cores 2GB/32GB | eBay

Android 4.4,Windows 10 2GB 32GB $77.99s-l1600.jpg

It seems to me that 1) is the most interesting if 32GB is enough to conveniently run Win OS. Otherwise 2). Do you have other tips for ready made Win10 mini PCs ?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Computer with HQ player, Windows 10 > switch > modem(AT&T) > TPlink Gigabit SFP Media Converter > Superstream NAA> Lampizator Lite 7 dac.

Everything was working great for the past 6 months. Two days ago, the AT& T modem was having technical problems. It was replaced by a new modem and now HQ player "failed to open audio device". All the cables remained in the same configuration as before. The modem shows that the NAA is in DHCP configuration.

The computer sees the Superstream NAA in its network. I have deleted the current HQ player and downloaded the most current version and switched to another DAC. I have turned on and off the DAC and NAA but HQ player still shows the failed to open audio device message. My next plan is to bypass the switch. I don't know how to open the HQ player logs.

Any suggestions?

Thank you. Your assistance is much appreciated.

If the switch in the modem doesn't pass multicast traffic properly, that's what happens. If there's configuration option, it may help.

Also check if your Windows created a "new network" when it noticed change in the modem and that a firewall in Windows is not blocking the traffic.

Otherwise I'd recommend trying with a dumb gigabit switch, connect at least HQPlayer and NAA devices to it and then pull single cable from the switch to the modem. This will move out the multicast traffic from the modem's control.

1) is the most interesting if 32GB is enough to conveniently run Win OS.

The one I use has 16 GB which is the max for it and Win10 Pro runs just fine.

Otherwise 2). Do you have other tips for ready made Win10 mini PCs ?

This is what I use (and now included in my recommended hardware list on the web page):

CL100 Series | Industrial Computers | Logic Supply Europe

Just replace the flaky included PSU with a better one. Now I'm using a powerful Mascot to drive it, but been planning to get one of these for it:

https://www.teddypardo.com/powersupplies/generic/teddy12-4.html

I'm using it to act as a NAA to the T+A DAC8 DSD.

Hi Miska, thanks. Good to know that 32 GB should be enough.

I would like to try something cheaper for my first contact with NAA and the world of these small audio computers. I want it for playing - trying also other possible uses, comparing. Then I will see, if I want to invest more. The option 1) with battery seems to be attractive and very cheap Win10 option to start playing with.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
If the switch in the modem doesn't pass multicast traffic properly, that's what happens. If there's configuration option, it may help.

Also check if your Windows created a "new network" when it noticed change in the modem and that a firewall in Windows is not blocking the traffic.

Otherwise I'd recommend trying with a dumb gigabit switch, connect at least HQPlayer and NAA devices to it and then pull single cable from the switch to the modem. This will move out the multicast traffic from the modem's control.

Thank you, Miska. I will give it a try.

Have a great day!

Hi Miska, thanks. Good to know that 32 GB should be enough.

I would like to try something cheaper for my first contact with NAA and the world of these small audio computers. I want it for playing - trying also other possible uses, comparing. Then I will see, if I want to invest more. The option 1) with battery seems to be attractive and very cheap Win10 option to start playing with.

My recommendation for hardware getting started NAA with is dual- or quad-core CuBox-i. The cost is not much, runs out of standard +5VDC power (can be improved with better PSUs). Works fine and I have a ready-made image you can just boot up... Not Windows though.

Thanks, but I wanted something to experiment, which allows to install Windows.

I ended up buying a cheap i3 based mini pc from Taobao for around $125. I already had an SSD and memory. I've loaded Server R2 essentials on this pc and its has worked great as an NAA. Another option is the Up Board.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I ended up buying a cheap i3 based mini pc from Taobao for around $125. I already had an SSD and memory. I've loaded Server R2 essentials on this pc and its has worked great as an NAA. Another option is the Up Board.

Thanks, I am still considering possible choices. i3 may be too 'heavy' for the purpose. Lower power consuming Atom processors may spread less noise to audio system and substituting their power supply may be easier and cheaper.

On the other side, I want to experiment also with other available streaming options and uses. Maybe the small computer could be used also for video streaming. It could be also multiboot system, I can try also some Linux solutions. It's for experimenting, playing, comparing. :)

Simply I would like to combine just enough processing power but not too much power consumption and thus noise.

I found for example these two with some reviews - according to reviews they are OK also for video, and they are still of low consumption - both use 5V 2A power supplies:

1) for $100

Cenovo MINI PC 2 Windows10 Intel Cherry Trail Z8300 Smart Mini PC

Cenovo Mini PC 2 Windows PC Review: So Close | Home Theatre Life

I found one Russian discussion (I'm able to read it), they don't report delivery of broken devices or malfunctioning devices, production quality seems to be OK.

2) for $154

Beelink BT7 Mini PC Intel Atom X7-Z8700 Quad-core Windows 64bit-206.93 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Beelink BT7 Windows PC Review: A Step Above The Rest | Home Theatre Life

both 4GB RAM and 64 GB ROM + SD slot, LAN, WiFi, bluetooth, more USB slots, HDMI

the 2) has metal case, faster CPU and faster wireless, but CPU cooling contains small ventilation fan

My recommendation for hardware getting started NAA with is dual- or quad-core CuBox-i. The cost is not much, runs out of standard +5VDC power (can be improved with better PSUs). Works fine and I have a ready-made image you can just boot up... Not Windows though.

Just to reiterate/ convey CuBox experience, the CuBox does not like "fast" networks and thus does not work as an NAA in mine and others experience.

E.g If running 1gb or fiber it studders and is pretty much unusable (mine is collecting dust). Only if you introduce a dumb 100mb switch before the NAA does it work. Again my experience. Chris brought this to light awhile back and I have verified it as well.

If there is a fix/workaround (without using another switch) I would be very interested in that info

One could throttle the speed if using a managed switch, but if using fiber with the Tplink converters they only run at 1gb and therefore would have to purchase / replace something that auto negotiates 100/1000.

My rig

Just to reiterate/ convey CuBox experience, the CuBox does not like "fast" networks and thus does not work as an NAA in mine and others experience.

E.g If running 1gb or fiber it studders and is pretty much unusable (mine is collecting dust). Only if you introduce a dumb 100mb switch before the NAA does it work. Again my experience. Chris brought this to light awhile back and I have verified it as well.

If there is a fix/workaround (without using another switch) I would be very interested in that info

One could throttle the speed if using a managed switch, but if using fiber with the Tplink converters they only run at 1gb and therefore would have to purchase / replace something that auto negotiates 100/1000.

With my home network, spec'd as GB Ethernet (copper), CuBoxTV (the most economical way I found to buy a quad-core CuBox-i) works absolutely perfectly as an NAA. For several months it has worked exactly as the desktop installation of HQPlayer it is streaming from.

I am not necessarily saying this for bogi's benefit, since it doesn't meet some of his other criteria, but for anyone else who wants a simple and easy way to do NAA, this is great. It is completely trouble-free compared to the two BeagleBone boards I tried. Of course I am sure this is all quite system dependent; I don't have optical Ethernet installed, for example. I've also got a home mesh network with three eero routers, so there may be something to that.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.